Not signed in (Sign In)
    Went to Salt & Cleaver tonight for dinner and trivia night. 10% off the whole bill. Thanks S&C, and thanks synthetic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014

With the longer days upon us, Nate's made a nice after work ride for the Tuesday Night crew!
    Plants and pints draw fans to Nate's Garden Grill
    Beer-loving gardeners head to year-old City Heights cafe
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2014

Any other new businesses on the 'talking to / trying to get them to join' list ? I'd love to bike to those on the fence and support them with some $$ after biking there to get them to join!
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2014

T there are many... we can use your help! I asked Hans to helped out since he has his tuesday night ride.
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2014

e-mail me any on the fence business! tyler.huff@gmail.com ... I may already be going to them / spending $$ on them and i'll be happy to talk to a manager / volunteer. I do it anyway to any place I bike to and try and get them on board...
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2014

Our new signs are in thanks to hans, I have so many but my 2 hands and 2 wheels can do so much. T has volunteered to help out, does anyone else want to help spread the word?
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2014

ok we have a new sign on, guess where it is, without checking the page!
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2014

And another score, 2 days in a row! This place is getting big reviews on yelp, and it is as good as they say:

10% off on corner of 25th and market
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2014

I biked to and ate at Waypoint Public. Travis, the manager, and Odette, the social media manager have verbally approved their participation and I did get the "Bike Riderz" line-item 10% discount at Waypoint Public. Now just to get them to get the $50 one time sign and added to the participation page: http://sdbikecommuter.com/find_businesses/

Also of note is that Panama 66 (The sandwhich cafe in Balboa Park in the Sculpture Garden) is also participating and gave a 10% bike discount last night. Jeff Mooch the owner is a supporter, and both of their other two businesses (Tiger!Tiger! and Blind Lady Ale House) are already participating). I'm sure once they get out of their soft opening stage they will also join in. I'll nudge them!
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2014

I'll try and take more photos of the front of the shop with the diamond sign when I go and visit / confirm they are still in the discount program. there's a long list of participating businesses so I will need to get busy!
    The Messhuga Shack, one of our participants, is having a go-fund-me campaign to open a second location. Support if interested:
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2014

Cafe 21 moved 2 doors over to where Croces used to be, and they opened a new high tech fusion place in their old spot... zymology 21

• CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2014

In the all good news of new additions, pannikin wants off. Would any of you mind stopping in there if you are in the area to see whats up?
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2014 edited

I think i'll try some new businesses this weekend.
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2014 edited

not so good news folks, looks like empire house is off. i hope business remember they can change their discount. I really want to support local business. I hope our forum member spykelspruce can convince them to stay on
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2014 edited

--
    • CommentAuthorlisi
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2014 edited

On a brighter note, we will have some new additions to the program within the next week! I have been in touch with The Patio and they want to join and will be adding both of their locations, in PB and Mission Hills. I will keep you posted when I have the details worked out. Also, thanks to Tyler ("T") who contacted Waypoint Public and got them on board. They already had a bike discount but he talked to them about making it official and they are joining our program. If any other forum member wants to get the ball rolling at a local business that they frequent, please feel free to do so. Then just contact Roger or myself and we can get them the needed paperwork and the wooden sign for their establishment. As a reminder, the email for the discount program is: sdbikecommuterdiscount@gmail.com.

Thanks, guys!
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2014

does the wooden sign include a 'suction-cup' with metal "?" hook hanger ? if not, it should! it helps them hang it in the window!
    • CommentAuthorlisi
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2014

Yes, it does! Thanks for checking. :)
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2014

Thanks Tyler.. Waypoint is now on the website!

Also sad news:
    - Halcyon Tea removed (closed)
    = Empire House removed (wanted out)

Not sure, but maybe someone can check?
    - Baked In PB has been closed last 2 times I went there... maybe I go to early and they changed hours? Hope they are still open
    - What is deal with Mosiac, they still open?
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015

Latest addition, of one of our discount locations that grew!

15% off at the newest hipster location... can you guess where?

• CommentAuthorsurlygurl
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2015

Messhuga Shack
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

I have that tour shirt the barista is wearing, although I doubt he was at the show I saw on June 19, 1977 at the San Diego Sports Arena. I was 20 at the time and getting ready to leave the country to study at the University of Heidelberg in West Germany where I fell in with the revolutionary student movement.

The show was great, even in the terrible acoustic environment. Jimmy Page was on that night. Only John Bonham seemed to have trouble. He passed out on stage and fell off the back of the drum kit, caught by roadies. While he recovered, the other three drew up chairs to the front of the stage and performed an acoustic set. I still have photos from the camera I smuggled in.
    • CommentAuthorShady John

Dude, you got one of your photos from that show on the official Zeppelin site! Looks as if Bonham was still conscious at that point in the show.

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/photos/led-zeppelin/1976-1977?page=7
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2015

I'll try to find them and scan them. The best one is of Page, Jones, and Plant sitting in chairs at the front of the stage playing an acoustic set while Bonham recovered. The photos on that website really brought back memories of an unforgettable show!
    Yes please post the pics. I just missed going to that show and I had to hear all about it second hand.
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2015

We have 3 big additions! Im currently busy now because I am having bad luck but here they are:

Cat Cafe on 3rd ave

The District on Market St

The Parlour on Park Blvd
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2015

Hi folks, the maps page is now fixed... also another coffee joint, subterranean coffee in north park. Anyone want to do some bike tags of the above places and this one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2015

Let current and potential discount program members know that we will repost on Instagram if they tag their relevant photos or captions with @sdbikecommuter to increase their exposure and help promote their business.
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2015

Welcome James Coffee Co!

10% off.

•  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2015

James is a good addition. Nice job. Is there a way we can increase the program among HBIA members to show that some of them opposed the actions of Bread et Crap and Urban Mo's? Demonstrate our economic power in a positive way?

For frustrated snarky shit, there's this: https://www.facebook.com/Parkingoverpeople?fref=nf
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2015 edited

Paul:James is a good addition. Nice job. Is there a way we can increase the program among HBIA members to show that some of them opposed the actions of Bread et Crap and Urban Mo's? Demonstrate our economic power in a positive way?

For frustrated snarky shit, there's this: https://www.facebook.com/Parkingoverpeople?fref=nf

Just pitch the program to nearby businesses that support cycling. It is $50 to join which gives them the nice wooden sign. We need the mass movement from them. The opposing force is the nightlife crowd who promote a luxurious lifestyle of driving to a bar and drinking there.... which unfortunately has a high probability of that person driving back home. The bike should be given as the better, rewarding, safer choice.

The closest locale on the program is Salt & Cleaver / Meshuggah Shack
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2015 edited

Can it be documented beyond doubt which businesses were fighting the first SANDAG proposal?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2015

Sigurd:Can it be documented beyond doubt which businesses were fighting the first SANDAG proposal?

I really thought the Transform Hillcrest plan was going to carry the day until that 'Keep University Ave Open' group was formed and started making a lot of false claims about it just a month or two ago (for one, they got a lot of Mission Hills residents thinking that University will be closed to cars not just on the westbound ramp to Washington but all the way east past Vons).

Then, of course, Ben Nicolls spoke for the HBA at the SANDAG board meeting voting for the contrained (sharrows & parking rather than protected/buffered bike lane) plan.
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2015

Carnitas has a food truck on the program! https://www.facebook.com/sdbikecommuter
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2015

SCUE is closing down :(
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2015

Double good news!

SCUE is back open at LUPITA market on oceanview blvd as a co-op

and we have a new location!!

can you guess where it is?

very popular area where you go for your KOM's
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2015

woohoo some love in hillcrest... subterrenean coffee is on 4th and university!!
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2016

fishy fishy... a unique addition to our program, pet zone in city heights . 4266 university ave

https://www.facebook.com/sdbikecommuter/photos/pcb.1127545463945794/1127545450612462/?type=3&theater
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2016

welcome urban india! $1 off lunch buffet and free fountain drink

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10103890527807963&set=p.10103890527807963&type=3&theater
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2016

Zymology 21 has closed for now, owner hoping to reopen in new location. She is very pro bike.

In good news, fireside by patio is on, in NTC liberty station! right next to moment cycles

https://www.facebook.com/sdbikecommuter/?fref=ts

Vegan tacos via bike
    Veggies Are Us is off to a good start
    By Matthew Suárez, April 10, 2016 - San Diego Reader
    Young couple David García and Ariss Mercado started delivering vegan food via bicycle around Tijuana over a year ago. After biking around the city, they garnered enough fans via Facebook and Instagram to open a small shop called Veggies Are Us. It’s on 8th street on the corner of Madero in downtown Tijuana, and the grand opening was on March 20. They are selling out every day hours before closing time.

The shop is tiny, with just enough room to snuggly sit ten people. The open kitchen takes a third of the space. Bicyclists usually hang outside the store, as it is encouraged to arrive via bike for a 15% discount.

Maybe this business should have an honorary San Diego Bike Commuter Discount Program membership. They seem to be doing all the right things here.