Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010 edited

Here's a thread to discuss 3 speeds, plan rides, and share photos.

Here is my 1968 Raleigh Sports.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010

I've had 3 speeds off and on for the last 10 years or so but now i want to be sure i always have one of them. It's just so useful and casual.

Now i want a Raleigh Clubman too. I've never ridden one but they look fun.

• CommentAuthorrandomjive
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010

I got my lady an old blue Raleigh, great condition asthetically. Sadly, the third gear isn't working, but I think I'm going to get her an 8-speed internal rear that my buddy's got laying around. Once we get our own place again (living at my parents) I'm going to get one. How do the internal hubs do off road??
    I didn't know much about 3 speeds but I came across this at a used bike shop in chula vista, near where I live. It's not my size AT ALL, but I really liked it and decided to buy it for what I figured was a fair enough price, $80. Just in terms of aesthetics, the price was worth it for me. It totally won me over. Especially that bizarre race dog or jaguar looking animal on the chain guard...hahaha.
    (Thom's picture) There was a problem with the pedal but thanks to Thom it should be running soon. Though I would like to find another that fits me more accurately...the rise on the seat that is required for me to ride it is more than laughable.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010 edited

I have several 3-speeds in my collection. My latest find is a 1954 Columbia American with Sturmey-Archer alloy hub purchased from photographer Mitch Clinton at the Velo Swap last Fall for $150. I'm embarking on a garage cleaning project this summer and plan to haul out all the bikes therein and catalogue them with photos and history.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010

I love the aesthetics, I love the feel they invoke when I see a well loved one being used, but the fact that I couldn't get my unfit butt up hills with 8 speeds, I definitely couldn't swing 3.

And to think, Thom rode his all the way out to Lakeside/Pine Valle (something like that). Rock star!
    • CommentAuthorDOC
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010

Great buy cobraverde your bike has a lot of nice detail. Sky, great wish I hope both you and I someday own a clubman I must visit Sheldon Brown's website just to see the pics of his superbe and the clubman. He is a pic of my not so vintage 1980 Raleigh Sports.
    Photobucket
    Thank you DOC, I like your Raleigh too! A friend of mine from school always rode around one campus that her friend let her borrow and I secretly wished I could ride it! hahah
    • CommentAuthorDOC
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2010

That is too funny cobraeverde, its bike amore at first glance with those three speeds if your not careful you could end up with 10 in your garage and searching on craiglist for more...LOL
    ^^^ hahaha.
    • CommentAuthorProtorio
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010

I rode 3-speeds exclusively for about 10 years starting in college. I think they are phenomenal transportation bikes. Here are mine:

1973 Sports (as old as I):
    The 3 Speed

1972 Raleigh LTD-3
    Raleigh LTD-3

1937 Phillips City Model:
    Phillips City Model Rear View
    • CommentAuthorDOC
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2010

Thanks for Sharing Esteban beautiful restoration. Love the phillips :)...... I have an idea for a 3 speed bike ride. In celebration of summer i was thinking of having an aloha ride, three speeds with their riders wearing there favorite guayabera, havana, cubavera, or hawaiian shirt and coastal attire. Riding from San Diego River (off Friars Rd, plenty of parking anytime) to Crown Point and up Mission beach boardwalk to pacific beach and grabbing some grub or coffee at a little place called "Be Curious Cafe" if you dont recognize the name the brilliant gold paint that dresses the building might come to mind, its right on the boardwalk with a great view of the pacific. Perhaps on a Saturday Afternoon around 3 or 4. This is an Idea that needs some help to come together....make any suggestions.
    • CommentAuthorYash
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2013 edited

Has anyone had a Sturmey Archer-hubbed wheel built here in town? I just got the SRF-3 hub but I haven't gotten wheels yet so I am just generally inquiring about directions to go with this. I figure the SA hubs might just be a little trickier to lace and calibrate, maybe? Any recommendations would be very greatly appreciated!
    The older Sturmey Archers have a lubricating access hole through the shell. But the newer ones don't. So I found a few how to videos on Youtube for the just in case scenario. If I ever have to make repairs I know that Aaron's Bike Shop in seattle have the specialty and spare parts. Click on the link (previous sentence) to see photos of many IGH taken apart.

• CommentAuthorYash
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2013

That's a great resource Mark, thanks! If anyone has any recommendations for someone in town to lace a SA hub into a new wheel I'd be extremely grateful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

Yash:That's a great resource Mark, thanks! If anyone has any recommendations for someone in town to lace a SA hub into a new wheel I'd be extremely grateful.
    Marzhel has experience with both lacing and 3spd hubs. He works at Pedal Pushing and SDSU. http://www.facebook.com/marzhel.pinto
    I don't have time right now, but you can borrow one of my truing stands (with a $150 refundable deposit) if you'd like to do it yourself.
    • CommentAuthorYash

Much appreciated! I'm currently a student at SDSU so I'm already pleased with the reference. I'll get in contact with Marzhel and then may take you up on the truing stand offer sometime down the line. Thanks Hans!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2013

•  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2014 edited

Okay. So I went out to see a Craigslist offering (honest description) Stating that the rear hub was shot and needed to be replaced, and had new tires. The owner took it to a local bike shop that we all know, and he was told that he needed new tires and the rear hub adjusted. They were correct, but failed to tell him they knew nothing about adjusting the 3 speed Sturmey Archer. They installed the new tires then told him the rear hub was destroyed and needed replacing at a cost over the value of the bike. What the hell do they think he was going to do with $50 worth of tires on this bike?

Long story short, within 5 minutes of being at my shop, I had all the gears working fine. My daughter rode it on the Tweed Ride, 2 days later.

Moral of the story... Don't take your internal geared hub to a shop that doesn't have a similar bike in it's repair shop.