Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2010 edited

Now that we are in the amidst of Tour de France, It's about time that this forum gets a thread to discuss professional cycling races!

I will start off with a question: Last year, Universal Sports (ch. 39-3 digital terrestrial) provided non-cable TdF coverage. This year, I don't think they do.

For those of us without cable service, are there any TV stations that provide TdF coverage this year?
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2010

I believe Versus, née Outdoor Life Network, has the cable broadcast rights to the Toor Day France again with commentary by the usual suspects. I was at Adams Avenue Bikes picking up my Austro-Daimler Superleicht on Saturday. On the telescreen was unedited French feed from the prologue without commentary. I'm not sure where this was coming from, but I don't think it was Universal Sports. I don't have digital cable right now, so I don't know if they are broadcasting on the NBC cable channel as well.

Back in the Dark Ages during the era of LeMond supremacy we were lucky to get 20 minutes of TdF coverage for three Sundays in July on ABC Wide World of Sports. Cycling on television has come a long way since those heady days when American riders were making their first inroads into the Euro' peloton.

I am planning to upgrade to digital cable in September for the Vuelta a Espana. Universal Sports picked up the ball that Versus dropped several years ago and now broadcast excellent Giro and Vuelta coverage. For several years Versus provided complete coverage of all three grand tours. American tifosi howled in protest when they dropped the Giro and Vuelta, but were overjoyed when Universal filled the void last year.

Universal Sports will also be broadcasting coverage of Road World's on October 3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Pull it together there Andy. You're mommy is on the way.

• CommentAuthorHMeins

Just after this frame the camera finds Ale-Jet in the green jersey taking advantage of the chaos to take a nature break. He waves the cameraman off and continues to relieve himself.
    How about some online coverage?

www.velonews.com

photos by grahamwatson.com

Now don't get over excited...
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

One of my favorite riders, Amets Txurruka of Euskaltel-Euskadi finished yesterday with a broken collarbone and failed to start today. Hope he's good to go for the Vuelta.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010 edited

Velo Cult:Pull it together there Andy. You're mommy is on the way.

Andy is pulling it together alright...He seems to be stronger than all his rivals. Go Andy!

Get your updates online at STEEPHILL.TV
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010 edited

Talk about bad luck times three, eh Lance?

Stage 8 highlights
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010

I think he's crashed more in this tour than during the entire 7 seasons combined that he was winning the tour, or maybe it just seems like it.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010 edited

So where 's the photo of Evans having a hissy fit after being dropped on the Madeleine? He's a great rider and wears the world road champion's jersey, but he is such a drama queen!

I'd like to see Sammy Sanchez claw his way up onto the podium.

Today is Bastille Day. Maybe Charteau or Pineau can take the stage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010

It was cool to see Chris Horner make 10th. He was left out of the tour last year and this year he was the highest finisher for both Team Radioshack and the U.S.

Ryder Hesjedal (Canada) was the highest placed rider from the western hemisphere at 7th, which was very impressive.

The crashes in the first week were brutal. They shaped the tour and not in a good way. There were a lot of good riders who went out because of them and some of the good riders who stayed didn't do as well as they should have because of the crashes.

I disagreed with the disqualification of Renshaw. The head butting was due to Julian Dean trying to push him into the barrier. That was more Dean's fault than his. However, after he was done leading out Cavendish, he did the same thing to Farrar that Dean had done to him, which was not cool. Points penalty and a fine would have been sufficient IMO.

Fabian Cancellara has 21 yellow jerseys, one less than Greg Lemond and four more than Alberto Contador, both three time winners. He's got the second most of any non-winner in history. René Vietto has the most of any non-winner at 26, which he won in only two tours. Cancellara could take that record next year. He'll never win the tour, but he can certainly lead it until it hits the big mountains.

With 15 stage wins, Cavendish is getting into some pretty rare company. One more and he'll match Anquetil. If he keeps winning this much, he could pass Armstrong (22) in two more tours and Hinault (28) in three. Theoretically, he could even pass Merckx (34) if he can keep it up long enough.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

The reason it was important to DQ Renshaw is the message leaving him in would send to the sprinters: deviate from your line at speed during the sprint and nothing significant will happen to you. It could have legitimized chaos and dirty sprinting in subsequent stages.

I do believe that Dean should have been relegated to the back of the group for elbowing his way into Renshaw's lead out train. But Renshaw's reaction, which was justified in my view, was followed by such a dangerous squeeze of Tyler Farrar that race officials needed to take action. What Renshaw did to Farrar was by far and away more of a serious deviation of his line than was Dean's attempt to muscle in. Farrar was clearly in danger of going into the barriers, which could easily have caused carnage in the riders following.

It's interesting that many armchair referees thought the head-butting was the more serious offense. The AP news stories printed in the U-T claimed that Renshaw was DQ'd for head-butting and ignored what he did to Farrar seconds later.

This morning's AP story on the final GC of the Tour claimed that Chris Horner in 10th place was the highest placed American. Canadian mountain biker turned roadie Ryder Hesjedal was 7th. Last time I checked, Canada was still in North America.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

People typically don't refer to Canadians as americans, even though they technically are. It's just the way people talk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2010

I'm a little slow on the uptake some times, and didn't realize we hadn't posted about the new UCI World Champion 2010 until Drew reminded me today - Thor Hushovd, AKA "The God of Thunder".

Congrats, Thor!

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2010

Watched it on U.S. Didn't mention it since not many here seem to care about such things. The riders left after the final climb couldn't out sprint him. It was a perfect course for him.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010

He wants to win the 2011 Paris-Roubaix wearing the World Champion jersey. That would be a great day for such a classy rider!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011

wpstoll:He wants to win the 2011 Paris-Roubaix wearing the World Champion jersey.
    This Sunday is the Paris-Roubaix!

O yeah! Hell of the North bike race!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2011

Tour of the Basque Country is finishing up with an ITT tomorrow. Chris Horner is only 1 second back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

I heard a rumor that the Paris Roubaix will be shown at the bike race. That would be SO cool. I will find out for sure. Its playing at Blind Lady for sure.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

I have to referee the Cyclo-Vets Spring Criterium tomorrow on the Huennekens course. It looks like an 11 hour workday, so chances of watching PR for me are slim unless it is re-broadcast in the evening.

That's the only race on the schedule tomorrow. Are Cyclo-Vets going to show it? Or maybe Ralph Elliott? Not that I'll have any spare time to watch, I could still get updates.

I'm hoping that Chris Horner can defend last year's win of Tour of the Basque Country. He was the first American rider to win. All he has to do is pull back more than one second in the TT. That would be harrigarriro! Gora Chris!
    Anyone want to try to meet to watch at Blind Lady tomorrow AM (Paris-Roubaix, that is) ?

I'm amenable to a more PB-central location if anyone knows of such...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2011

AM? According to my Tivo, Vs. isn't showing it until 4pm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

HippyOnaBike:I'm amenable to a more PB-central location if anyone knows of such...?
    I'd be surprised if any PB bar shows this...

billd:Vs. isn't showing it until 4pm.
    So this means I have to stay of the internets all day so as to not accidentally seeing the result?!?
    • CommentAuthorDrew

billd:Vs. isn't showing it until 4pm.
    So this means I have to stay of the internets all day so as to not accidentally seeing the result?!?

I have that problem all the time with Twitter. Drives me nuts.

Nicole and I are going to try to make it to Blind Lady. Not sure yet.
    uhhh... I guess I'm just so used to watching the live stream online (I don't even own TV...) that I forgot it would be delayed :face-monkey:

I'm a goof.

I'll try to make it (4pm?, Blind Lady?), but I have a few things to do today (though I already put in 20 fun miles!)

Anybody gonna ride down thataways from thisaways? (ahem... Sigurd! ::cough, cough::):face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorDrew

Not sure if anyone else made it. I didn't see anyone I knew by site when I was there. I walked in and they had it on every screen in the place which was awesome, but they had loud music on and no race sound. I'm a commentary person myself so it kinda defeated the purpose really. I have it on Tivo, so I bailed and will watch it tomorrow. Sorry not to see it with friends though :face-sad:
    OK, I'm done whining now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2011

*** SPOILERS ***

I was really hoping big George could get one. That would have been an awesome thing this late in his career but it didn't happen.

The winner was quite a surprise, and that fact in and of itself was pretty cool.

I think Cancellara blew it when he decided to sit up because Thor etc. wouldn't help him. He should have kept it going until they caught the break away group. He could have then rested in the group for a little while and then launched his famous long distance attack that nobody can hang with. He ended up not doing that until too late. I'm not sure why he thought Thor should help him in that situation. Thor had a guy up ahead. You don't help someone chase down a team mate.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011 edited

I really liked this photo (from bicycling.com):
    A Sunday in Hell

Far from the victory ceremony, Dutch rider Dennis Van Winden took refuge in the historic municipal showers behind the Roubaix velodrome. After finishing in 88th place, more than 13 minutes behind the winner, he remained speechless from sheer exhaustion.

Looks like he's been to hell and back ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2011

Giro started today with a TTT.

It was kind of odd to watch Radioshack. For a while there Robbie McEwen was hanging on the back of the team and guys going back would pull back in front of him. He appeared to be getting a free ride for a bit.
    Crazy crash in today's Giro.

Wouter Weylandt passed away after a downhill crash during today's stage 3. Condolences to the family.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011

Oh no! That's terrible news! Fatalities are so rare at that level. He was a very talented rider.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011

The Queen stage of the Tour of California has been re-routed away from Big Sur since Hwy 1 is still closed on two places. I just cancelled my camping reservations at Pfeiffer Big Sur. They're keeping $15.50 of my reservation deposit even though I can't get there. At least it's going to a good cause. The race will head inland to Greenfield on the 101 and head back to Camp Hunter Liggett before turning south onto Interlake Rd., which takes it over the climb between Lake Nacimiento and Lake San Antonio. We'll camp there instead. The day before is a mountaintop finish on Sierra Rd. east of San Jose, which will be our first stop.

Friday's Bike to Work Day stage is the ITT in Solvang, then on Saturday another mountaintop finish at the ski station on Mt. Baldy. That should be a killer. Sunday's final stage takes riders up Balcom Canyon again for the first time in two years. That's where the party should be. Hope to see my friend His Holiness once again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011 edited

I was watching this morning's live coverage on the DVR and they briefly showed him unconscious with blood streaming from his face. A couple minutes later they showed an overhead shot from the helicopter where you could tell they were doing CPR. It was heart wrenching.

He won stage 3 last year, and lost his life on it this year. :face-crying:

Right now I'm at the part just after the race and they still don't know that he died. They're talking about how he and Tyler Farrar are good friends and they trained together a lot.
    I watched that live yesterday, then found a link on steephill.tv to an italian live update broadcast, which took about 20 minutes before announcing the death (in italian). Steephill made an immediate update, cyclingnews was about 5 minutes later.

That was a truly gruesome image, and when I saw the cpr, I was pretty sure he hadn't made it. I'm glad they had them race it out, and today's neutralising of the stage and tribute ride was very somber and fitting. The Italian tifosi really came out in support of the family and friends.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2011

Stage 4 reminded me of the last time something like this happened. The day after Fabio Casartelli died in the '95 TdF riders did not race and the UCI neutralized the stage. US Postal were allowed to go to the front and crossed the line together at the finish. Lance won the next stage with his now famous pointing to heaven gesture.

Yesterday's stage was thrilling with the sections of strade bianche. Riders were displaying their incredible bike handling skills on the unpaved descents.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

wpstoll:US Postal were allowed to go to the front
    Er, Motorola.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

Thanks for the reminder! At least I didn't post "Subaru-Montgomery!" I think I'm starting to suffer from CRS in my advancing age.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

What was Petacchi's deal today? I don't think I've ever seen a top sprinter give up at that point before.
    Stage 5 was gnarly, indeed!
    • CommentAuthorsachi
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011

billd:What was Petacchi's deal today? I don't think I've ever seen a top sprinter give up at that point before.

He just ran out of steam. Lots of hills on that stage for a sprinter. He was pretty proud of himself for doing as well as he did!
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2011

Foul weather is going to dog the Tour of California again this year, in spite of the move to May. I think February was a much better place on the calendar. It didn't conflict with the Giro or with Bike to Work Week and the weather is going to be bad no matter when the race is held. As it stands we'll miss the antics of Cavendish this year as he has opted for the Giro instead. Like him or not he brings interest and color to any race.

Today's opening stage may be truncated if the snow is too heavy in the Sierras.

We're going to skip San Jose and drive up on Wednesday instead for Thursday's Queen Stage. I can't think of many situations more miserable than riding two miles to the finish on Sierra Rd. in the rain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2011 edited

Stage 1 cancelled.

I really hate that they moved it to May. It dramatically reduces the number of top riders, especially top Italian riders that will show up. It also dilutes the pool of top riders in the Giro. Contador is probably going to run away with the Giro. He humiliated everyone today.

The kids are taking over. Taylor Phinney (20) is the U.S. time trial champion and Ben King (22) is the U.S. road champion. I saw King in a Specialized commercial and he looks about 12 years old. King apparently won in a breakaway that succeeded. Anybody know what happened to Dave Z in the TT? It appears that he wasn't there. Phinney beat Levi by 0.2 seconds.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011 edited

We're seeing a changing of the guard. The young riders coming to the fore represent the future of the sport. Last year Peter Sagan came out of nowhere to claim two stages of the ToC and continued to clean up back in Europe. Young CX World Champion Zdenek Stybar had a rough season last year. If he's in good form later this season we can expect another podium appearance at CX Worlds 2011

Yesterday's cancellation of Stage 1 was divine punishment of the organizers for hubris. February 2011 was beautiful and sunny with near record temperatures.

Sea Otter had the same thing happen. Organizers moved it from March to April to escape rainy weather, but it made absolutely no difference. Sea Otter without rain would be unthinkable!

We're off tomorrow or Wednesday to meet the race up north.
    Anyone else feel an eerie similarity between Etna and Sierra Road? Two climbers drop an all star field with no strain in expression, and put over a minute into GC.

Everyone talks about the two untouchable climbers, Schleck(A.) and Contador...

but Chris Horner is unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2011

Go Chris! It's great to see him win! I hope he can take it the whole way; though it wouldn't exactly bother me to see Levi take it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2011

That's gotta hurt!