Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2016

Who's going to watch stage 1 tomorrow and where?

I'm thinking start/finish is going to be a mad house. Was thinking maybe Mission Gorge or Friars or Morena. They'll go by fast.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2016

I scouted the finish area this morning. It will be difficult to see anything at the finish. Tomorrow, I'll hope to find a place a few hundred meters from the end where there's a TV monitor to watch the pack whiz by, and then catch the actual finish on TV. Prior to the finish, I might try to catch the pack going up Morena as they head towards PB. I would then try to dash along the SD River path to get to the finish before the pack does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2016 edited

I caught the tour twice today. The first was on Morena near Metro Cyclery, early in the race. The second was on Morena at the clover leaf leading to Balboa late in the race. Made a few short vids.

I made a playlist on my channel but the board software obliterates it so, four links instead:

• CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2016

My wife and I watched Stage 1 from a small climb on Mission Gorge and used this app to keep up with the action.

It has been great for watching the Tour of California with live streaming course video, maps, profiles, results, etc.

Amgen Tour of California Microsoft Tour Tracker
    http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/watch-live/tourtracker
    Watch Online or On-The-Go with the Microsoft tour tracker
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2016

the 'app' is really slick and has the live video (though on day 1 it didn't start till 2pm when the race started at 1130am. not sure why).
    They only broadcast the last 2 hours of the race. Bike racing dont pay the bills for 4+ hours of coverage.
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2016

I just got caught up with the Giro d'Italia--some really dramatic racing. Check it out on Steephill.tv (carefully, so that you don't see the spoilers).
    Lakeside’s Nic Long Qualifies For Olympics In BMX Cycling
    Monday, May 30, 2016 By City News Service via KPBS.org
    Lakeside resident Nic Long qualified for his second Olympics in BMX cycling on Sunday with a third-place finish in the 2016 UCI BMX World Championships in Medellin, Colombia.

The 26-year-old Long won national championships in 2010 and 2013 and a 2010 World Cup race in Chula Vista. He was 17th in the men's BMX race in the 2012 Olympics.
    2017 Giro d'Italia had me at the edge of my seat!

http://www.steephill.tv/giro-d-italia/
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2016

Tejay van Garderen drops out of the Olympics because his wife is pregnant and due in October and he doesn't want to transmit zika to her.
    I think the Rio Olympics are going to be a mess. I don't blame him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2016

Nice to see Cav winning again -- and to finally get a maillot jaune.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2016

Nice to see Sagan get one as well.
    Agree, both of those stage wins were fitting. Not happy to see the usual first week crashes and carnage, though. When will the organizers get the message that they need to change something? Or do people actually think that seeing contenders crash out of contention in a pack crash is somehow "part of racing"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2016

Cav ties Hinault for second on all time TdF stage wins list with 28, 6 short of Merckx.

Cav is clearly back.
    I love the unbelieveable all-star lineups we are getting at the sprint finishes. My dog that's a lot of talent and horsepower, all perfectly delivered to the sprint finish.
    There are definitely more GC climbers in this year's TdF. Froome's death defying decent gave him the winning edge!
    http://www.steephill.tv/players/youtube3/?title=8+km+to+go:+leader+descends+Col+de+Peyresourde+to+the+Stage+8+finish&dashboard=tour-de-france&id=0bf0LlKSq0Y&yr=2016
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2016 edited

Shut Up Legs:I love the unbelieveable all-star lineups we are getting at the sprint finishes. My dog that's a lot of talent and horsepower, all perfectly delivered to the sprint finish.
    Yeah. The sprints have been good. Cav got three but Kittel got one and two of the sprints (one Cav win and one Kittel) have been within a tire width.

Cav is now solidly in 2nd place on the all time list. Catching Merckx is actually possible for him.

Contador abandons TdF....Down pour and hail stones added to the excitement on the last climb...Tom Doumolin's superb uphill time trial left strong climbers panting.
    http://www.steephill.tv/players/youtube3/?title=3+km+to+go:+Chris+Froome+attacks+the+GC+group,+Stage+9&dashboard=tour-de-france&id=6mQlYkaJJ6U&yr=2016
    Story of a Colombian peasant boy who rode his bike to school down and UP a mountain.

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2016

I'm not really a fan of Contador but I am a fan of Sagan, so I'm liking that Sagan will now have more leeway to go for green as he did today by taking the intermediate sprint, uncontested.
    Such an impressive 20 points. That was an incredible push by Sagan to be in break for 100k+ and hang with the climbers over those col's. I wish they woulda had footage of his 100kph decent to regain contact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2016

Today's stage was pretty much tailor made for Sagan but he couldn't quite get the full capitalization; well...he did get 90% of the points on the day but not the stage win he really wanted. Impressive for Matthews and Boasson Hagen to both make that break past the cat 1. Matthews hasn't been closer than about 5 places behind Sagan in a flat sprint finish in this year's tour until today. I would not have predicted him beating Sagan at the line.
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2016

The other riders in the break worked their tactics well, forcing Sagan (the marked man) to chase down all of the attacks. Mathews had a teammate with him in the final group, and used that to his advantage. He was rested whereas Sagan was spent, and that was the difference in the final sprint.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2016

Yeah.

Today was pretty awesome. I'm not even a fan of Froome but that was some quick thinking to jump onto Sagan's attack in the last 5k. Sagan just had one strong TT rider to help him and Froome gave him two more, which gave them all a better chance of taking time out of the peloton. It looked like Froome actually tried to beat Sagan at the line, which was silly, but it took some courage. Sagan should thank Froome for helping his attack succeed.

Froome is hunting for seconds right now. I'm wondering if he's doing it because he's worried about Quintana in the mountains.

Froome is doing it because he's a rider with panache. He's won the tour twice, so he doesn't need to prove he can win. He wants to win in style, much like Miguel Indurain in 1995, who attacked in the Ardennes the day before an individual time trial. And I think you're right, Froome is probably afraid of losing time to Quintana in the remaining big climbs. I haven't followed racing closely, but I remember Quintana being wildly inconsistent at last year's tour, losing minutes on one day only to gain minutes the next. He seems cursed to lose time in the early stages of the tour, as again is happening this year. Things are still close, but it appears that Froome is feeling good, so I think he'll be hard to beat at this point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

Quintana's big time loss last year was in a windy flat stage where the peloton broke up and he was in the wrong part of it at the time. He did lose a little time on one mountain stage but more than made up for that in another, but not enough to make up for his losses on that flat stage.
    That was bike racing at its finest, two incredible racers (and mates) doing a damn impressive turn, Chapeau! Such a great move. Everyone was on the rivet and they just ride away for a 5k TT. Froomie is taking risks bc he has such an dominating team, and he's confident in his incredible form, may as well use it.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2016 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2016

The barriers didn't start soon enough. The fans who didn't leave space for them to get through were jerks. It shouldn't have happened like that.
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2016

A disaster of a stage, unfortunately overshadowed by terrorism in Nice.
    WTF

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2016

American cyclist Kristin Armstrong wins gold in women's time trial
    Nate Scott, USA TODAY Sports August 10, 2016

Cyclist Kristin Armstrong of the United States rides at the start of the women's individual time trial event at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Pontal beach, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Aug. 10, 2016. (Photo: Patrick Semansky, AP)
    It is her third consecutive gold in the event.
    It was also a welcome birthday present for Armstrong.
    She turns 43 tomorrow.

After the race, she dropped off her bike and collapsed to the ground, exhausted. Her son was then lifted over the fence and he sprinted into her arms. The two held each other in an embrace, just beyond the finish line, as the cameras flashed.

“It’s super special for my son. He understands what just happened,” she said. “But he did ask me, ‘Momma, why are you crying? You won.’ I said, wow, that’s a great question from a 5-year-old. But I told him, ‘That’s what we do. We cry when we’re happy.’”

This certainly goes a long way toward returning luster to the name Armstrong!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2016

New Zealand's Olivia Podmore and Spain's Tania Calvo have a lucky escape after colliding in the women's OLYMPIC 2016 keirin - while Dutch rider Laurine Van Riessen escapes the scene by riding round the advertising hoardings at the top of the track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2016

Old Knotty Buoy:American cyclist Kristin Armstrong wins gold in women's time trial

This certainly goes a long way toward returning luster to the name Armstrong!

Although some people will say the decision was borne out by the result, there was a lot of controversy over her selection. She unretired and did not race well. Carmen Small beat her when it counted and was not selected during a non-transparent process by the committee over which Armstrong's husband, although he was allegedly recused, had influence. Not everyone was cheering over the made for NBC selection.

The United States' team competes in the women's team pursuit first round cycling event at the Rio Olympic Velodrome during the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Saturday, Aug. 13, 2016. photo:PATRICK SEMANSKY, AP

Olympics 2016: Temecula's Sarah Hammer, U.S. take silver in team pursuit cycling
    FROM NEWS SERVICES Aug. 13, 2016
    The United States women's cycling team, led by Temecula Chaparral graduate Sarah Hammer, claimed the silver medal in the team pursuit event Saturday evening in Rio de Janeiro.

Hammer and her three U.S. teammates -- Kelly Catlin, Chloe Dygart and Jennifer Valente -- posted a time of 4:14.286.

This is the third silver medal for Hammer, who silvers in team pursuit and the omnium at the 2012 Games in London.

The Americans on their high-tech, left-side drive bikes got off the start line quickly, taking a half-second lead on their rivals by the first 500 meters.
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2016

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2016

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2016

Yeah. That was pretty lame. He could have at the very least said something contrite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2016

Sigurd:Classless Act

His comments/lack of comments were lame but people who are saying he took out the Korean on purpose don't understand track. The Korean was at least partially at fault for his lazy half-wheel there. Between the time Cav looked and he came down, the race situation had changed. This happens. It was not a relegation offense according to the rules.
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2016

This year's Vuelta a Espana has been a great race. 10 of the stages have mountaintop finishes--including tomorrow's penultimate (and deciding) stage, with over 4500 m of climbing. It's Quintana vs. Froome again, but in contrast to the TDF, this time it's Quintana's team that has made fewer mistakes and controlled the race for their leader. Can Froome make up
    his 1:21 deficit against the climber Quintana? Did Froome use all his energy winning today's time trial? Or did Quintana overextend himself trying to limit the losses to Froome? Tomorrow will tell.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/vuelta-a-espana/chris-froome-betting-everything-vueltas-final-mountain-day-283557
    That was another amazing Vuelta!
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2016

I guess this is racing, sort of:

http://dirtragmag.com/understanding-floyd-landis/
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2016

A couple of years ago I had lunch with Floyd at Pizza Port in Solana Beach. In spite of his checkered past, he is a real mensch. I found him very likeable.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2017 edited

EPIC 2017 Giro d'Italia !
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2017

Check out Annemeike van Vleuten's effort in the women's La Course yesterday, with a mountaintop finish on the Col d'Izoard, just ahead of the men's stage yesterday:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1093068530
    https://www.strava.com/segments/3660664?filter=overall

On the final segment, she got 16th overall out of over 16000 people who've logged this segment--men and women. Bardet and Barguil were incredible also, of course.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/annemiek-van-vleuten-fast-izoard-two-tour-de-france-riders-beat-strava-343159
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-vleuten-climbs-to-la-course-victory/