Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2012

HippyOnaBike:A Tijuana-bound peloton of indeterminate size will cruise down Mission Bay Dr. at ~5pm with legs spinning fast to get us to Mission in time for face paint. This is the aforementioned BRCR'/UCSD contingent (hippy+dstone+maybe others?)

Sweet. See you guys at the brewery.
    Have fun. I will do it some day!
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2012 edited

Some of the crew in TJ for Paseo and Dia de los Muertos.
    Paseo
    Had a great turnout with about 20 riders starting from the brewery. Thanks everyone for coming out and playing. =)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2012

VeloCafé:Some of the crew in TJ for Paseo and Dia de los Muertos.
    Paseo
    Had a great turnout with about 20 riders starting from the brewery. Thanks everyone for coming out and playing. =)

^^ Good job leading the stragglers down, Velocafe. Thanks for the paint job, too.
    • CommentAuthorSam

And thank you VeloCafé for painting my face on and making sure that the ride home didn't leave the slowpokes (me) behind. Loved the route through neighborhood streets before the bike path section - I always make a beeline through the busy bits and wind up hating humanity, but the route was perfect and the company of 9 (including the random guy we picked up in National City who enjoyed our company enough to hang around with us) was perfect.

The TJ ride was also excellent! Small crowd from the Mexico side. Enjoyed the tour past graveyards though!
    • CommentAuthorjacobk

What a great time! Thanks to VeloCafé for leading us from Mission Brewing to the border, and thanks to Arturo and the rest of the TJ crew for leading a great Paseo de Todos!

It was nice to see what a ride like this could be like (versus San Diego Critical Mass) when there is good leadership, corking to stop traffic at busy intersections, and stopping to regroup at various intervals to make sure no one gets left behind. I'm looking forward to doing this ride again at some point.

Here are some photos from last night:

• CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2012

It was my pleasure - love seeing a great turnout for Paseo and hearing that people enjoyed their time cycling in TJ. Already counting down the days to December 7th. =)
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012

*Bump* Celebrate December Nights on Saturday. Friday night come with us for Paseo de Todos in TJ. 6PM departure from Mission Brewery.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012

It's that time again! December means it's Navidad time for Paseo de Todos. Decorate your bike and spreat the cheer! Besides that, look at past months for more details. In a nutshell...
    We meet at Mission Brewery (14th/L St.). Leaving at 6:00 so that we don't freak if someone gets a flat. Th
    at gets us to the start point in time to get something to eat. Travelling 15-20mph (last month's average was 16.7) is the conversational rate. If this seems fast, the trolley will take you to the border, where you can meet with the group. The speed in Tijuana is much slower. Guesstimate the speed at 5-10mph. Afterward we usually grab some tacos, however tamales may be more in line with the holidays, then ride across the border and split back into the trolley/riding groups for the return.
    Figure 15mi there, 15mi in TJ, and 15mi return. We do it every month, and (except for that one time) nobody has been decapitated and flaunted on FOX news. See you on Friday. You'll have aq great time AND have something interesting to talk about at the company ChristmasHoliday Party this year!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012 edited

Bump - tonight!

I found here is a smartphone app showing expected wait times at the border crossing (vehicles and pedestrians): Not as cool as a sentry card, perhaps - but worth a shot!

Stats

Actual screenshot from right now:

•  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012

Missing this month. Headed to LA.
    Have fun.
    Paul: Long beach will have their tweed ride this Saturday just in case your heading that area

From Rides a Bike
    It looks like these guys are going to test their Tweed Ride outfits on the Friday Paseo de Todos ride.
    Hip Hip, Olé old chap!
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012 edited

Feliz Navi-GRINCH
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2013

Just a "bump" to remind everyone about Paseo this Friday. jacobk asked me earlier if there was a theme for this months ride as there have been several lately that were. No themes for January BUT if you're brave enough to cycle in just a big ole diaper as the 2013 New Years Baby I'm sure you'll get some cheers. Yes, the thought crossed my mind to do it but it's too dang cold and no one wants to see ALL THAT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2013 edited

While Christian Americans enjoy a big celebration on Christmas Day, Christians in Mexico have their celebration on El Dia de los Reyes (Three Kings Day, or Epiphany). This holiday is celebrated twelve days after Christmas on January 6th. It commemorates the day the Three Wise Men (Melchoir, Gaspar, and Baltazar) arrived in Bethlehem to bring gifts to baby Jesus. An option to wearing a diaper would be to possibly dress as one of the Magi.
    In the past, everyone is asked if they could chip in a few dollars to help pay for the King cakes that are enjoyed after the ride.
    Same ol' thing... we meet at Mission Brewing (14th/L) for a 6pm departure. This gives us time for flats, WC breaks, and if all runs smooth, Tacos y cerveza before the ride.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2013

Maybe a robe and crown will be in order =) Or just some burning incense. I won't be staying long after the ride this time and will be booking back to SD at high speed to try and get some sleep/rest before the Alpine Growler ride Satruday morning.
    • CommentAuthoreaton

Do you need a passport to cross the border?
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé

Ideally, yes you need a passport. However, as a US Citizen you can't be denied entry to the country. So if you don't have a passport bring as much ID as you can to prove you're a citizen. Expect to be held for awhile so they can verify your citizenry and possibly even be referred to secondary screening.
    • CommentAuthoreaton

VeloCafé:Ideally, yes you need a passport. However, as a US Citizen you can't be denied entry to the country. So if you don't have a passport bring as much ID as you can to prove you're a citizen. Expect to be held for awhile so they can verify your citizenry and possibly even be referred to secondary screening.

Thanks.

I think I'll bite the bullet and fill out the renewal form instead. I've been putting it off for a year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2013

Heading down tonight (Feb1) after a meeting that gets out at 6:30. I'll probably just drive the church bus to the border and meet everyone at the arch (or tacos nearby) as to not miss the 8:00 launch.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Urban-Bike-Social-Club/134376176636632 American legs
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/130144567012756/?ref=ts&fref=ts Mexican leg
    • CommentAuthorMatt W
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2013

Group leaving Mission Brewery at 6pm again tomorrow? I should be there.
    I would like to join this ride. What is the pace and distance from the brewery?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2013

Taking off from Mission Brewery, just as the sun sets. Leaving at 6 gives us plenty of time to get something quick to eat before the Tijuana portion departs the arch just after 8. More riding than you're up for, or 6pm doesn't fit your schedule? The trolley will drop you off at the border, and you can ride up with the group to San Diego, or bring the trolley back up. Either way, it's a fun monthly ride.
    From the Brewery to the arch in TJ we like to keep a 15mph pace. this gives us time for flat (an extra tube is suggested. You may never need it, but someone else might) and whatever, without stressing it. If there aren't any problems, we get there in time for tacos beforehand. Distance=16mi from Mission to the arch. Temporarily, my mobile number is 619.846.1706. Looking forward to seeing new faces joining us every month!
    I think I will be meeting you guys at the border, not sure I will be able to keep up with you guys on my cruiser.
    • CommentAuthorjacobk
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2013

Good time last night!

•  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2013

Our monthly group ride to Tijuana is quickly upon us again!
    Meeting at Mission Brewing (14th/L) trying for that 6pm departure. Riding down there in the daylight is a treat, this time of year, and the ride back afterward is fantastic, with there being so few cars on the road. Trolleying there and back is an option as well. See Facebook for info on options and details.
    http://www.facebook.com/events/126905234171368/126908657504359/?notif_t=like
    Today will be TAILWINDS all the way south. Like last month, I will hop on the trolley while the rest of the crew crossover to TJ.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013

Same time, place, etc.
    For more info...
    https://www.facebook.com/events/111595092384278/
    Is anyone doing this ride tomorrow?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2013

•  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2013

October4th, 6pm at Mission Brewing (14th/L downtown)
    The first Friday of the month brings us once again to our monthly trek into Tijuana. We're meeting at Mission Brewery, across the parking lot from the 12th & Imperial Trolley stop (PetCo Park) and pedaling down to TJ at 6. Come early for a pint, as we need to leave at 6 in order to allow for train crossings, flat tires, etc. not to mention getting something to eat before the ride! It's about 18 miles of relatively flat riding with slight grades, just to get to the "start" of the event. If this doesn't fit your time/energy constraints, you can join those who elect to ride the trolley to the start. Not everybody crosses the border, but they join us for the ride down. Chime in if this sounds good to you. Our speed is determined by the time we depart from the brewery. Do your own math, allowing for walking through the turnstiles at the border.

If you'll be taking the trolley down to the border, the last trip from Petco is 7-ish. Then when you get off the trolley, go over the freeway and wait for the group, or go through the two turnstiles, and head a few blocks over to the big arch in the sky (can't miss it). Arco/Reloj de Avenida is where we dine (IWe've noticed a lot of places to eat Mexican food in the area) and meet up with Paseo Urbano Biciclero by 8:00. After a ten mile or so leisurely paced ride on predominantly flat roads, we stop for a social before riding (or catching the trolley) back up to San Diego.

A number of us do this ride every month, and never (rarely) has anybody ended up missing. We sold his bicycle, and all bought t-shirts and tacos with the money. If we run into problems, we try to bring a blonde with us, so we can barter our way out(blondes are worth good money down there).
    Don't be shy. Some of us speak Español, and the rest of us get by on our über great personalities. The riders and residents in TJ are great. They absolutely treasure tourism, and have no problem with English.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/162300567303724/
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2013

It's that time again! December means it's Navidad time for Paseo de Todos. look at past months for more details, but in a nutshell...
    We meet at Mission Brewery (14th/L St.). Leaving at 6:00 so that we don't freak if someone gets a flat. That gets us to the start point in time to get something to eat. Travelling 15-20mph (last month's average was 16.7) is the conversational rate. If this seems fast, the trolley will take you to the border, where you can meet with the group. The speed in Tijuana is much slower. Guesstimate the speed at 5-10mph. Afterward we usually grab some tacos, however tamales may be more in line with the holidays, then ride across the border and split back into the trolley/riding groups for the return.
    Figure 15mi there, 15mi in TJ, and 15mi return. We do it every month, and (except for that one time) nobody has been decapitated and flaunted on FOX news. See you on Friday!
    https://www.facebook.com/events/670788892961807/?ref_dashboard_filter=calendar