Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorAweesan
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2010 edited

Hey everyone!
    I am a social/volunteer coordinator for the San Diego Mountain Biking Association. Part of my responsibilities lie in working to make things fun while participants do something worthwhile for the community. My role is to create, enhance and preserve trail experiences (for all trail users) through fun advocacy and events and promote biking in general. One of the biggest events we do to promote this is the Tour De Fat with New Belgium Brewing (10/2/10). I'll give you a little bit of back story then provide details on what we need:

The Tour De Fat is a bicycle fest that travels around the country to promote cycling of all forms, encourage sustainable lifestyles (meaning, low impact on the environment but long lasting even after heavy use. SDMBA tries to implement this in trail building, for example, using rocks and natural land features on the trail so that tire/foot/hoof treads don't erode the trail and make it wider), and, wherever possible, utilizing biking or alternative transportation than cars from errands to commutes to fitness.

Each year, New Belgium Brewing company goes to the host cities and chooses 2 main non-profit organizations to basically run the event. Each non profit works particular aspects of the event with the proceeds benefitting their respective programs while New Belgium takes care of logistics, permits, all the overhead. SDMBA and the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition have been chosen again! Our Inaugural year last year was one of the largest grossing 1st-ever events they've put on to-date and had been applauded by the City as being so well orchestrated and an overall positive experience that the Tour HAD to come back!

Part of what they do is give away a custom bike to someone who pledges donating their car for a bike. They pledge to ride as much as possible for a year, and I know if you look at this link under the "trade your car for a bike", you can get more details, as well as see the list of cities in the tour, etc. http://www.newbelgium.com/tour-de-fat

This was such a fun event! If you were there, I know you'll be back. For those of you who missed it, it's one not to be missed again! Carnival atmosphere, costumes, bikes, beer garden for 21+, bike evangelists spreading the pedal love, music, you can't go wrong!

The ride is free/donation and registration is required. You can do so at the event prior to the bike parade, a flat fun, family-friendly ride through Balboa Park, Banker's Hill, Hillcrest (Route to be finalized soon). Your donations help organizations such as San Diego Mountain Biking Association and San Diego County Bike Coalition, do what they do best to preserve and enhance where we ride.

9:00 a.m. - Bike Parade Registration
    10:00 a.m. - Bike Parade
    11:00 a.m. Performances Begin
    1:30 p.m. - Funeral procession for the car belonging to the Car-for-Bike Trade volunteer
    3:30 p.m. - Car-for-Bike Trade Celebration
    4:00 p.m. - Curtain Closes

Feel free to ping me with any questions or visit www.newbelgiumbrewing.com/tour-de-fat!

Happy trails,
    Alison Whitney
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Sounds awesome. Is the Beer Bike Bus making an appearance?
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

I don't recall the bus last year, but I did have a great time drinking good beer early in the day and socializing with other cyclists. I rode home afterwards with a nice buzz. Poor injured Jolie was unable to attend last year, but she did ask me why I had this big sh** eating grin on my face when I got home. We're going this year for sure!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2010

We volunteered last year and had a blast! Would love to do it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2010

Please do volunteer - we're expecting twice the number of people as last year, and we'll need a ton of volunteers to help out! Watch this space for more info as we get closer...
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy

P.S. What is everyone going to wear??? Last year I had a graduation cap and gown, which was good, but a little warm. Ideas for costumes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev

Perhaps a grass skirt, coconut bra and lei for you this year?
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Damn... That's what I was going to go with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2010

t.e.d:Damn... That's what I was going to go with.

I'm sure it would look better on you than on me, t.e.d! No one wants to see my midsection.
    I do like the grass skirt idea, though...
    Other ideas?
    • CommentAuthorDirigo
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2010

I'm interested in volunteering again too. Coincidentally, my TIPS card from the training just recently arrived in the mail.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2010

Hey, so since there is already a Tour de Fat thread, for those who are going... where will you be and at what time?
    I decided to go and am dragging my roommate with me, although we don't have costumes.

Did you all want to meet somewhere so we can ride together or is everyone doing their own thing?
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

Oh, and for those who haven't read the other thread where there were some comments on the Tour de Fat

Njord Noatun:
    bikingbill: I still don't get where the Tour De Fat starts
    Here.

and

Velo Cult:VC is understaffed this weekend. I don't think I will be able to make the TDF. Bummed. Come by the shop after the event for some more free New Belgium beer though.

:face-angel:
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

D'oh! Guess Mark had already posted something:

markphilips:TOUR DE FAT info

How about meeting at The bronze statue of Kate Sessions located on the SW corner of El Prado and Balboa?

For those who cannot make it to the bike parade. You can always come afterwards for the stage carnival acts and performances.

Sorry... I guess I couldn't keep up with the local event thread... info on this event kinda got lost. Soooo..... bronze statue of Kate Sessions located on SW corner of El Prado and Balboa... gosh... not to add to the confusion but I wonder if I will be able to find it... wouldn't it be better to meet at the fountain where the Fish Taco rides start? And at what time anyways???
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2010 edited

And yet one more

wpstoll:
    bikingbill:So registration is near the fountain?

No. We meet at the other side of the park on Laurel at the intersection of the park road that goes down to Marston Point, just east of Park Blvd. There's a big Moreton Bay fig there (Ficus macrophylla) where the expo and beer prison will be set up. Not the biggest Moreton Bay fig; that one is over to the north of the fountain. This is the second biggest specimen in the park.

I believe the largest such tree in the Western Hemisphere is in Santa Barbara near the train station.

You guys have me all confused.

Ok, ok... I got myself all confused now... lol
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

There are statues on either side of prado/laurel on the Hillcrest side of the bridge. The ones on the north side are Marston and some other dudes. On the south side, stands Miss Sessions, can't miss her.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Thanks for the map (nutmeg and 6th) ... is the path that parallels 6th ridable? Otherwise I assume just take 5th north?

If he path makes sense, I guess I can catch that on Fir.

At least this is closer than the Fountain.
    Hey guys, i'll be working at the SDMBA booth on Saturday.
    Stop by and say hello - I'm the ugly one.
    We hope to catch up with you all sometime after the bike parade - likely around noon, or maybe a little after.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2010

Nigel & I are going to try and ride to Balboa Park from Lemon Grove, so I don't think we'll make it in time for the parade (seeing as I don't get out of bed till 9am). Wish me luck!
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Good luck! That's actually an awesome ride. Which route were you planning on taking?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev

I consulted with my local commuter-cycling expert (Beany), we'll head down University to 47th, then head north to Orange, then north on Marborough to Adams, west to Park and head on down to Balboa. I'm weenying out and taking the trolley back home from downtown as I don't want to climb College or Massachusettes to get home.
    • CommentAuthorProtorio
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2010

See you guys around noon!
    • CommentAuthorSam

What a fun and fantastic event! I got to see all my favorite bikey people (well, missed Bev and the Limey - hope the ride wasn't too bad) today and others I hadn't seen in a while. Also got to drink and eat well and have a really great time.

A fantastic show as expected. Those of you who didn't show missed an amazing event. AMAZING!
    • CommentAuthorProtorio

It was indeed fantastic. Great to see folks!
    Esteban
    I saw your Tikit but couldn't find you inside the beer garden. Oh well, maybe next time.
    Amazing TdF. The marching band was very comical. Does anybody remember the name of the band?
    • CommentAuthorjay

It was great seeing some folks from this board at TDF today. Here's a few of my pics of the festivities:

More here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev

We were there, I swear! Chris Taylor & Miss E & the Missus can vouch for us, as well as Hans & Mark Phillips. Just got there earlier than expected. The ride went fine (just one crazy driver), the trolley experience was rather tricky (the technical aspect of getting a 30 year old Raleigh with fenders, basket & bags up and down those steps was a bit of a challenge), but all went well!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2010

I loved it. The parade was fun. If only CM could stick together like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2010

Thanks for the photo proof, Mark, that we were actually there :o) We were really getting the hang of that thing. That was good fun!!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2010 edited

Fun bike parade and carnival! It would have been nice to have a route map available online.

Below is a suggestion for future routes to keep it more fun for many first timers or for those who are not used to riding in groups. Hopefully, it will keep the ride more festive and more interesting for families with children. I don't think it's necessary to go to the busy streets because the main parade breaks into smaller groups due to SO MANY STOP LIGHTS. San Francisco TdF stays inside Golden Gate Park for the most part; the only street riding was very short and that road was closed to auto traffic.

IF BALBOA Park is off limits to TdF
    Main route (circling main stage)
    Head West on El Prado
    Right turn on 6th
    Right turn on Balboa dr
    Balboa turns into 8th drive
    8th drive turns into Juniper
    Right on 6th ave
    Right turn on Balboa dr
    Balboa dr turns into 8th drive
    Right on 6th ave
    Right turn on Balboa
    END at El Prado starting point

ALTERNATE OPTIONS

Main route (circling main stage)
    Head West on El Prado
    Right turn on 6th
    Right turn on Balboa dr
    Balboa dr turns into 8th drive
    Right on 6th ave
    Right on El Prado heading inside Balboa Park

By this time the main parade maybe stretched out
    Option 1
    Right on Plaza de Panama
    Loop around San Diego air museum (???)Right on President's Way
    Left on Pan American Rd E
    Left on El Prado back to starting point

Option 2
    On ElPrado
    Left on Village Pl
    Left on Zoo drive
    Right on Zoo Place
    Right on Park
    Right on Village Place back to El Prado
    End at where we started.
    • CommentAuthorzonal
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2010

gavilan:Hey, so since there is already a Tour de Fat thread, for those who are going... where will you be and at what time?
    I decided to go and am dragging my roommate with me, although we don't have costumes.

Did you all want to meet somewhere so we can ride together or is everyone doing their own thing?

Would've enjoyed sharing a pint with you gavilan - sorry to have missed you!
    By the time I arrived it was after 11am, post-ride and mid-festivities, when I ran into 7 or 8 others from the boards - hope you did too.
    - Lara Croft, Tomb Raider

• CommentAuthorzonal

The photo above plus 13 other Tour De Fat photos from the Urban BS (Bike & Social) Club are posted here: http://www.meetup.com/Urban-Bike-and-Social-Club/photos/1089955/
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

• CommentAuthorcaboose

Also, last year's Tour De Fat gave me a job to do for the first time in about two years. It also introduced me to one of my hottest fantasies which is to be a bar tender.

This job is nearly impossible to get, as one woman told me, unless you know somebody, are blond, and have big breasts. I lack all three.

But Tour De Fat allows us to serve beer for one day a year; thus this is something that I look forward to all year.

It was worth the wait because I love serving beer! My favorite part was seeing the different types of "men" who came to buy beer. About half were the std SD guy who were very polite and fun to serve. The rest were a mixed bag who probably read "The Game" or saw "The Pickup Artist" or something, and got the idea that they had to be complete assholes. Dunno. Some tossed their wooden nickels at me. Others had unnecessary dramatic pauses at odd times (for me to be awed?)

I soaked up the shit the "Alpha Males" gave me like a white person soaks up sunshine at the shore!

When two drunken idiots came up to take female co-worker "hostage" with a fake gun, I told them as much. I asked more more and more shit and I told them I was "eating it up".

They soon left.

Of course, after the serving was open, a friend of mine showed me an even better pattern for dealing with these yahoos.

When someone asked for a little of everything, he took the bucket of runoff and showed it to her, "There's some of everything in here."

She left him alone after that. Genius!

The only thing I'd do different next year is that, while I'd still hang out w/ all the wonderful people that I did, instead of just talking, I'd make some forward motion over to the interactive stuff like the crazy bikes because I'd really like to ride one.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

Boy, did I get it wrong this year! Somehow I remember last year's event as a Sunday. This time I double booked. I had already committed to captaining our MTB tandem out to Rose Canyon for the Air Show on Saturday. We were just leaving when Alfred Wilson showed up and said he had just come from the TdF. At least I got more exercise and drank less beer than I would have. Hopefully the two events won't coincide next year.
    That's me wearing the Super Mario suite
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

I had such a good time at this festival I'm really glad I made it out. I convinced my roommate and another buddy of mine to join me and we all had a blast.
    My roommate and I ran into Mike along the way and we ended up sitting at the fountain waiting for our other buddy, and it turned out to be the meetup site so we got to see a couple of the meetup peeps (thoroughly confused about why no one else of the meetup group was there).

My roommate got a couple (yes, two!) flats on the way to Balboa Park, so he had to fix them and we missed the beginning of the parade. After we went to drop off our signed waiver and get our beer bracelets, while no one else was around (smart) we saw Hans and Jeremy's group racing to catch up with the parade so we followed them for a bit but then alley cat Hans disappeared and I only saw him again until after the first shows when my buddies and I went to try the weird bikes. What fun!
    Along the way I saw Lee and Jan and a couple other people that I know from work.

All in all, an awesome way to spend a Saturday. Wish I had seen more of you around but maybe next time.

wpstoll:Boy, did I get it wrong this year! Somehow I remember last year's event as a Sunday. This time I double booked. I had already committed to captaining our MTB tandem out to Rose Canyon for the Air Show on Saturday. We were just leaving when Alfred Wilson showed up and said he had just come from the TdF. At least I got more exercise and drank less beer than I would have. Hopefully the two events won't coincide next year.

Busy weekend indeed! My roommate and I went to the Air Show on Sunday but just after spending the morning at Point Loma (Liberty Station) on a British Car Show.
    Whew.
    I need some days to recoup from the weekend! :-D

zonal: Would've enjoyed sharing a pint with you gavilan - sorry to have missed you!

Me too! Next time. :)
    • CommentAuthorSam

Gavilan: I didn't check this thread too carefully so didn't realize you would be there too. I mostly walked around and said hello to everyone I knew or had previously ridden with. Am sorry I missed you.

One question I do have. What is up with these weird shit colored t-shirts New Belgium keeps handing out? Last year their TDF t-shirt was the color of sewage and this year it is baby poop. Are the bright happy colors from the rainbow old school now?
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010

Beany, bummer I didn't see you. I didn't see Fred either, although I only went for 'a couple' of beers. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011 edited

2011 San Diego Tour De Fat
    San Diego here we come! Be sure to have your best costume on and your bike ready to roll. This year's is going to be better than ever. Your hard earned beer $ will be benefiting San Diego County Bicycle Coalition and the San Diego Mountain Bike Association. The bike parade starts at 11 am. Stay after the parade for some folly, TDF style, from noon till four.

NEW PARADE ROUTE beginning at Golden Hill Park
    • CommentAuthorMariaO
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011

The Event is growing and volunteers are needed. We hope you can take time out of your day to help out for a few hours.

Volunteers are needed for the following shifts on Saturday, October 1st:
    Volunteers needed to Check IDs & Wristband: 10 per shift = 20 total
    Shift A: 10:00am - 1:30pm
    Shift B: 1:30pm - 5:00pm

Volunteers needed to Sell Beer Tokens: 10 per shift = 20 total
    Shift A: 10:00am - 1:30pm
    Shift B: 1:30pm - 5:00pm

Volunteers needed as H20 Technicians: 3 per shift = 6 total
    Shift A: 10:30am - 2:00pm
    Shift B: 2:00pm - 5:30pm

Volunteers needed to Pour & Serve Beer: 10 per shift = 20 total
    Shift A: 11:30am - 2:30pm
    Shift B: 2:30pm - 5:00pm

Volunteers needed for Tear-Down: 20
    Shift Time: 5pm - 7pm

Volunteers are needed for Put-Up
    Friday September 30

As you can see, we’ve got to pull together a bunch of volunteers to make this a success. So tell your friends! Please let me know if you can volunteer and what shift and job you would like and I’ll put you on our list. Please indicate your preferred shift and t-shirt size when replying and if you have been previously TIPS trained (for beer serving). Also, if you know of any shops, businesses, or groups that would like to put together volunteer teams to volunteer for a shift, PLEASE let me know. A follow up confirmation will be sent once you have let me know.

Phone #
    Email Address
    Shift
    Shirt Size
    Mens or Womens
    TDF Experience

Thanks in advance for your support. We’re looking forward to seeing you at the 2011 San Diego Tour de Fat.

Cheers!
    Andy Hanshaw
    Executive Director
    execdir@sdcbc.org
    San Diego County Bicycle Coalition
    740 13th St. Suite 504
    San Diego, CA 92101
    858-487-6063

lunteers are still needed for Tour de Fat. We have plenty of spots open
    • CommentAuthorzonal
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011

Best bicycle fest/party of the year, in my opinion.
    Wouldn't miss this for ANYTHING.
    Just today thought up my costume for this year.
    Road tripping with some friends to the Tempe AZ one two weeks later too.
    See y'all this Saturday - Bikes del Pueblo crew, Urban Bike & Social Club crew, sdbikecommuter.com crew, Zero Waste crew, & all others.
    Love y'all.
    Y'all are truly my west coast fam, if I've never said it.
    (Dress up! Yourself and/or your bike. Preferably 'and.')
    xoxo
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2011

I'll be there with a bunch-o-MTB buddies! :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

How are we going to recognize each other? I know Pac, Sykkelspruce, Sam, Sky, William, Anthony, and Sigurd (forgive me if I've left anyone out) by sight, but there are a lot of others I've never had the pleasure of meeting. Jolie and I will be riding the black Fisher Gemini MTB tandem with a handlebar bag covered in touring patches and sdbikecommuter cards and RVF patches in the mapcase.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

I'll be on a big red recumbent wearing a court-jester's hat.

I'm going to do this from Velocult, as I have to be somewhere in the afternoon which nixes the train.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2011 edited

I will be riding a electried Xtracycle with a red frame. My wife will be sitting on the cargo deck taking photos. Our son will be riding a kids 20" wheel electra beach cruiser with a flamed banana seat. He will be towing a trailer with a bear stuff toy. Not sure of costumes but I'll be wearing a captain America shirt

•  
      CommentAuthorShapps

I likely wont make the 9am meet @ VC but will see everyone at the park!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

wpstoll:How are we going to recognize each other? I know Pac, Sykkelspruce, Sam, Sky, William, Anthony, and Sigurd (forgive me if I've left anyone out) by sight, but there are a lot of others I've never had the pleasure of meeting. Jolie and I will be riding the black Fisher Gemini MTB tandem with a handlebar bag covered in touring patches and sdbikecommuter cards and RVF patches in the mapcase.

we need to come up with some kinda identifier for each other... not just for this, but in general i think it would be kinda neat... maybe a spoke card or something along those lines so we can spot one another on rides or in a crowd.