Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorslobiker
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2010

Silly idea. I'll go first. Please contribute when something occurs to you... or I'll wind up looking/feeling like an idiot.

- Why is it... no matter if you ride south down the Silver Strand... or north up the Silver Strand... you always get a headwind?

- Why is it... when someone describes themselves as "competitive," it always translates to "disrespectful"?

- Why is it... when you're 60 and in spite of assuring everyone you can't ride very fast or very well... and then in comparison to the 20-somethings you really can't ride very fast or very well... it still comes as a disappointment?

...and for that matter... - Why is it... you actually got bored with riding a bike while in your 20s, but now at 60 it seems like the most fun, most exciting thing you've ever done?

- Why is it... you assure the wife that you're riding a bike to "save money on gas," but wind up blowing the "savings" on accessories and goo-gads for your bike?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Why is it.....people get so hellbent on how much their bike weights when they are not racing and are overweight themselves

Why is it.....people refuse to get a good, solid, fun and functional bike for themselves stating "im not a racer so I don't want anything nice".

Why is it.....parents usually don't get their kids SAFE bikes stating "their just going to outgrow it". The safety of your kids doesn't matter???

Why is it.....people in SD look at cargo bikes like they would a big scary bear.

Why is it.....people in SD won't ride unless it's 80 degrees with bright sun? Why would we Ever have 3 slow seasons in a town the the best weather in America??

OK, i'll end my little bike shop rant. I speak for most bike shop employees in that rant. :face-monkey:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Why is it.....people have an issue with what sort of bike you ride?

Why is it.....drivers are convinced you are crazy for even riding on the roads?

Why is it.....that folks will argue that type 2 diabetes is genetic when clearly the epidemic we have is diet/lifestyle driven?

Why is it.....when a driver has the right of way you still have to wave at them to get them to move.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2010

Why is it.... There is almost NO standardization in bicycle components, sizing, attaching... etc. Why should you need 4 different tools to do the same thing on 4 different parts?

Why is it... the city puts in a useless "bike rack" and cites you for locking to the fence a block away. (C street by Kinkos)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Why is it....that posers who chase you decide to blow past a red light you're stopped at, so they can get ahead?

Why is it....people drive around the parking lots at the gym to get a closer spot.

Why is it....that drivers block the bike lane trying to make a right on red when they clearly don't have the room to get their car thru the space?

Why is it....that when you are stopped at a light and leave enough room on the right for a Peterbuilt to get thru, a driver will set behind you fuming because you're 'blocking' them?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Well, one obvious answer to some of your questions would be that the ability of the average Southern Californian to drive a car is inversely proportional to said car's size.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

batmick:Well, one obvious answer to some of your questions would be that the ability of the average Southern Californian to drive a car is inversely proportional to said car's size.

Otherwise known as "Batmicks first law of driving"
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

batmick:Well, one obvious answer to some of your questions would be that the ability of the average Southern Californian to drive a car is inversely proportional to said car's size.

As is the car size being inversely proportional to parts of the driver's anatomy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2010 edited

Why is it... that on the old road through Torrey Pines a group of 3 women can take up the entire two lanes when there are many other people on foot and on bike going both ways? (that really DOES make you look fat)

Why is it... that the more pristine and quiet a place is (like a remote mountain meadow) the louder and more obnoxious some people become? And no, you can't yodel!

Why is it... that so many people still have not figured out what that little lever on the left of the steering wheel is good for?

Why is it... that even in super-expensive cars with built in bluetooth it is necessary to use on hand to keep your phone to your ear?

Why is it... that you feel the need to yak away on the phone all the time anyway?
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Why is it... that you're perfectly well all winter and summer until two days before a backpacking trip... then you get a head cold?
    • CommentAuthorslobiker

Why is it... the handiest restroom at Balboa Park (across from the Organ Pavillion) is always locked up and closed for cleaning right when you need it the most?

Why is it... the second handiest restroom (the one by the Space Museum) has those open half-height stalls, but you figure "No one'll walk in," and someone always walks in while you're squatting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev

Why is it... that it took 37 years for me to finally find a job I love that is only 2.2 miles from my house that really doesn't require the BA degree that I have?
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2010

Why is it that some people who take the time and make the effort to drive out to a wilderness area for stargazing have to start the morning after with loud "THUMP THUMP" music? (yesterday morning)
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2010

Why is it... that bicycle commuting is only "cool" when you're a 20-something riding a fixie in overpriced clothes to a design job in a downtown loft in a skechy neighborhood and everyone else is the 40 year-old virgin?
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2010

Why is it...that people seem incredulous at how happy I am about riding every day. That I've genuinely grown to love it, that is gives me a high to ride every day, that I get very restless if I don't. I want to be the pusher and get people hooked on this drug...perhaps I need to read up on my Burroughs or something to learn some techniques.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2010 edited

An apt metaphor! I love Uncle Bill, never made the pilgrimage to Lawrence, Kansas to visit him like Patti Smith and others. "EXTERMINATOR!" "You need the service?"

Make sure to read "The Job" for insight on subverting the control mechansim of the Establishment, human language as opportunistic virus, and the cut-up technique pioneered by Burroughs and Brion Gysin.

And I think I posted this link before around Christmas, but here it is again: Uncle Bill reading "The Junky's Christmas" from "Interzone," as narration for a Claymation animated film about Danny the Car Wiper,directed by Francis Ford Coppola. Four parts:

Here's another one, "Dr. Benway Operates," a scene from "Naked Lunch:"

And one of the greatest film cameos ever, from "Drugstore Cowboy:"

• CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2010

ray333:An apt metaphor! I love Uncle Bill, never made the pilgrimage to Lawrence, Kansas to visit him like Patti Smith and others. "EXTERMINATOR!" "You need the service?"

Make sure to read "The Job" for insight on subverting the control mechansim of the Establishment, human language as opportunistic virus, and the cut-up technique pioneered by Burroughs and Brion Gysin.

And I think I posted this link before around Christmas, but here it is again: Uncle Bill reading "The Junky's Christmas" from "Interzone," as narration for a Claymation animated film about Danny the Car Wiper,directed by Francis Ford Coppola. Four parts:

I watched the Junky's Christmas while eating dinner and it was fantastic! I must have just missed seeing your post about it last Christmas. Thanks for posting that. I have not read The Job, but it is on my to read list now. Actually, I've barely scratched the surface of the material he produced, but his works are on my list of stuff to consume. I love his sense of humor. He is my favorite from the Beat Generation.

---

Why is it...that every time I ride into a headwind I think that my bike has somehow become defective and so I stop and check it to make sure that nothing is wrong.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2010

Why is it... that This exists?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

t.e.d:Why is it... that This exists?

I rate it 20 MegaDork. Probably comes with a propeller beany.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

Why is it... that these types of things exist, but insurance companies don't like to pay for them?
    Actually, I love it. Anything that gets the disabled and tubbies out there exercising in the fresh air, is alright by me. I know of a tubbie diabetic that lost some of his toes. No balance, means he's on a trike instead of a bike. Now he is stagnant 1/3 of the time on it, and not improving his balance when he IS in motion. Problem solved.
    (Granted, it is 100% Dorksicle if you're physically capable. Best left to remote areas, or while wearing a superhero costume)
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Hans:

Why is it... that these types of things exist, but insurance companies don't like to pay for them?
    Actually, I love it. Anything that gets the disabled and tubbies out there exercising in the fresh air, is alright by me. I know of a tubbie diabetic that lost some of his toes. No balance, means he's on a trike instead of a bike. Now he is stagnant 1/3 of the time on it, and not improving his balance when he IS in motion. Problem solved.
    (Granted, it is 100% Dorksicle if you're physically capable. Best left to remote areas, or while wearing a superhero costume)

I work in the medical equipment industry, and most insurance companies don't like to pay for what the customer NEEDS let alone what would get them more active. This thing, on the other hand seems really impractical as a mobility aid due to having to stand it up, get it going, stop it etc...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2010 edited

Why is it. . . that I can't find more upbeat, positive cycling blogs like CopenhagenCycleChic? Yes, the photos are nice, but Mikael's upbeat style really is what attracts me to his blog. Even when he's not in cycle heaven, but rather in a different city trying to educate them about cycling, he's always positive, never an us against them mentality, doesn't write from a threatened, defensive standpoint. He doesn't write about cycling like it is clique, a club, an elite sport or hobby, but rather just another aspect to daily life. He doesn't write from the cyclist soapbox. I enjoy his style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010

why is it... that the bee's around Eastgate Mall Rd. like to dive bomb my face on my way to work in the morning? this is like the 5th time... this time on the tip of my nose :face-sad: do i look like a sweet & succulent flower to your many eyes?... does my face smell like honey?... i mean, really, why my face? when there are a million pretty lil flowers out there that you could land on and revel in their sweet sweet bee juice, why fly towards my ugly mugg? . .. . dumb bee's...
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2010

EXCELLENT! Recumbents are no longer the dorkiest machines on the road.

In fact this establishes a new level of dorky that can only be described as:

MEGADORK!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010

I would have paid to see one of these at Bike the Bay.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

bikingbill:

MEGADORK!

Recumbents were unseated long ago with the invention of the Eliptigo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

t.e.d:
    bikingbill:

MEGADORK!

Recumbents were unseated long ago with the invention of the Eliptigo.

True dat.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010 edited

There was an erratically driven Elliptigo creating havoc among the cyclists on the Bayshore Bikeway on Sunday. Sounds rather like an infectious skin disease. Looks like what would happen if wheels were installed on an exercise machine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010

I counted a total of 3 of them (a silver one, a black one and a green one).
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

They go to all major events to promote the machine. Just started selling them earlier this year.

As dorky as it looks it is a blast to ride and if I had the money I'd get one. Would be fast enough to still be able to do my commute while being a different kind of workout from cycling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Why is it... that there are still so many people riding without a helmet?

Counted a total of 5 on my ride in this morning. And it is not just the beach cruiser crowd. Even some "serious" cyclists and regular commuters along 101 go commando. They should be made to wear "organ donor" shirts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

batmick:Why is it... that there are still so many people riding without a helmet?

Counted a total of 5 on my ride in this morning. And it is not just the beach cruiser crowd. Even some "serious" cyclists and regular commuters along 101 go commando. They should be made to wear "organ donor" shirts.

You're going to need a lot of shirts if you travel here:

•  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

I've been to Copenhagen and many other European cities. Yes, helmet wearing is even less popular there than here.

Still think it is stupid to ride without one, no matter how slow you go and where you ride.
    • CommentAuthorJim

bikingbill:

Why is it....people drive around the parking lots at the gym to get a closer spot.

I rode past 24 Hour Fitness yesterday and there were 5 bikes in or about the bike rack. I was glad to see that SOME of them get it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

•  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

I am also negatively affected by those gym-rats. At least once a week, when I pass a certain amphibian-themed gym in Solana Beach I get hooked or forced into traffic by some jerk pulling a parking stunt or waiting in line to get a spot as close to the entrance as possible. Just 20 yards further down the road there are plenty of spots...

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
    • CommentAuthorkyle

I'm lucky to have a gym in my office building that has a nice lockerroom. I use said lockerroom to clean up before work and to change after work. I always get a kick out of the folks riding stationary bikes and running on treadmills, staring at the parking garage across the street. All these gorgeous days and people pay money to run/ride inside. weird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

Why is it that there are so many wrong way riders?
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

Why is it people don't try to have more fun in life?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

billd:Why is it that there are so many wrong way riders?

Yeah, another MORON going down Alga the wrong way today. I passed them at the bottom of the hill going close to 40. At least this time they hugged the curb.

Poor baby on a fancy CF bike in matching blue and white outfit couldn't be bothered with a 1/4 mile of climbing a 10% grade so they went the wrong way to avoid that. I had probabily 50lbs and 20 years on the poser and I was going all the way to the top.

I'm going to stop the next time, block the damn road, and give them a piece of my mind.
    Why is it that most strangers, when making eye contact, forget to turn the :face-sad:upside down?

Smile people! Life is FUN!
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010

<blockquote><cite> AllisonEquality:</cite>Why is it that most strangers, when making eye contact, forget to turn the :face-sad:upside down? </blockquote>
    Because sometimes we freak out. Do I owe you money? Is there something in my teeth? Is my hair messed up (this used to be a problem, back a few years ago, for me..)? Are you going to kill me? Do my armpits stink? Can I hold in this flatulance?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010

Or they may be trying to sell me something. Or convert me. Or trying to get me to donate money to a cause I don't support. Or make me sign a bunch of petitions that I don't believe in/support/or even understand. :face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2010

Why is it...that Villaraigosa is so much more awesome than...well...Sanders?
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2010 edited

bëany:Why is it...that Villaraigosa is so much more awesome than...well...Sanders?

I was like, "yawn"..then I read
    “We have to make a change,” says Michelle Mowery, senior coordinator for the city’s bike program. “We can’t fit any more cars in.”

And then I got excited, like really excited. I almost want to move to LA excited.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2010

Why is it...

... that the bike lane is the default place for debris, manhole covers, road patches, construction signs and whatever else cars could deal with much better than bikes?

Just one example: There must have been a car crash recently on North 101, on the old bridge into Del Mar by the lagoon. The broken glass was broomed into the bike lane where it has been sitting and spreading now for a week,easy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2010

I'm convinced that road workers hate bicyclists.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2010

After encountering decades of bad asphalt patching in bike lanes here, I have to believe that they are simply clueless. Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." The real danger is from those who are malicious and stupid. Don't get me started on that one, my obsessive pursuer may recognize himself yet again and discover my new on-line identity.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

billd:I'm convinced that road workers hate bicyclists.

Not the ones that I run into usually ... but it may help that I look at them, smile and say good morning or hello or whatever. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy

wpstoll:After encountering decades of bad asphalt patching in bike lanes here, I have to believe that they are simply clueless.

Agreed. Most of them don't ride bikes, and it doesn't occur to them to worry about the stuff we worry about. I often stop and talk to the road crew people, just to remind them about what I need them to do - make sure those seams are flat, brush the debris all the way off the road, do a nice job patching there! They appreciate the conversation - car drivers really never stop to talk with them. Mostly they are nice, but just don't know any better.