Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2010 edited

gavilan:Not the ones that I run into usually ... but it may help that I look at them, smile and say good morning or hello or whatever. :)
    And you're female.

However, lots of people use smiles to hide contempt.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2010

billd:
    gavilan:Not the ones that I run into usually ... but it may help that I look at them, smile and say good morning or hello or whatever. :)
    And you're female.

Huh. You have an interesting POV.

A smile hiding contempt is not a smile in my world.

*happy thoughts*
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

Apparently you haven't been stabbed in the back by smiling friendly people before. I haven't been so lucky.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2010 edited

Why is it... There's no middle ground for weather in the fall? We're going from cool 60's and cloudy... to high 80's high pressure system. What happened to partly cloudy and 73?
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

billd:
    And you're female.

Yeah, that probably helps too! :)

Still, even other women smile back (road workers and general public) and I don't think they are flattered that a female is smiley or perceived as flirty...
    People smiling, to me, is just... well, nice.

billd:
    bëany:
    billd:

Huh. You have an interesting POV.

A smile hiding contempt is not a smile in my world.

*happy thoughts*

Apparently you haven't been stabbed in the back by smiling friendly people before. I haven't been so lucky.

Well, I personally went as far as having my heart broken. Talk about back stabbing by smiling friendly people... but I still go around smiling (most of the time, at least), regardless. I believe there are more good people than bad and a smile can break the ice and bring out the warmth. In most cases even if the smile is not returned, it is not my loss and I still feel good. I may just be too naive and simple, but it does make me feel good.

...but I do understand what you say and in no way am I trying to diminish or put down your comments. You seem to have had bad experiences. Sorry to hear. :-/
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010

Why does it cost $30 to take the train to Irvine? I wanted to use the bike/train to get to a meeting but it's too darn expensive. So I have to drive :face-sad:
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

(What they do!)
    (They smile in your face)
    All the time they want to take your place
    The back stabbers (back stabbers)
    (They smile in your face)
    All the time they want to take your place
    The back stabbers (back stabbers)

•  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010 edited

gavilan:Still, even other women smile back (road workers and general public) and I don't think they are flattered that a female is smiley or perceived as flirty... People smiling, to me, is just... well, nice.

I believe there are more good people than bad and a smile can break the ice and bring out the warmth. In most cases even if the smile is not returned, it is not my loss and I still feel good. I may just be too naive and simple, but it does make me feel good.

You're not naive, you're just not embittered and cynical. Keep smiling, G! :o)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

t.e.d:Why is it... There's no middle ground for weather in the fall? We're going from cool 60's and cloudy... to high 80's high pressure system. What happened to partly cloudy and 73?

We had that pretty much nonstop from March to August, remember? They just rearranged Fall and Summer. Guess you didn't get the memo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev

Hey, at least we're actually getting weather. I know we pay a lot for our 76°F year round weather, but yay for weather!
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

batmick:
    t.e.d:Why is it... There's no middle ground for weather in the fall? We're going from cool 60's and cloudy... to high 80's high pressure system. What happened to partly cloudy and 73?

We had that pretty much nonstop from March to August, remember? They just rearranged Fall and Summer. Guess you didn't get the memo.

Too funny!

Bev:Hey, at least we're actually getting weather. I know we pay a lot for our 76°F year round weather, but yay for weather!

My roommate and I have this slogan:
    San Diego... it does not suck to live here. tee hee
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

billd:Apparently you haven't been stabbed in the back by smiling friendly people before. I haven't been so lucky.

It seems to be second nature for some people to stab others in the back when it is convenient for their perceived best interest.

It hurts when one volunteers a decade of one's life to make one small aspect of one's favorite activity, cycling for example, a better place for everyone and is then thanked with a slap in the face and a slammed door by the very people one has helped and who have represented themselves as "friends."

Such experiences lead to cynicism regarding human beings and their intentions. Literature is full of protagonists who are used and then discarded when their usefulness comes to an end or threatens an inflated ego. Perhaps it's time to begin that novel or play.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev

wpstoll:Such experiences lead to cynicism regarding human beings and their intentions. Literature is full of protagonists who are used and then discarded when their usefulness comes to an end or threatens an inflated ego. Perhaps it's time to begin that novel or play.

One's character is truly defined by how one handles life's crappier situations. Mind you, I would be singing a different tune if my entire family were slaughtered in the Darfur or my child were stolen and sold into sex slavery or if I were kidnapped at the age of 8 and forced to fight among the Congolese rebels. But fortunately for me this is not the case, helps put things into perspective and I am grateful that it is a sunny day/I able to pay my mortgage/I love my job/my tubes don't have any punctures/my chain has never fallen off this bike/my friends and family are in relatively good health.........
    t.e.d:Why is it... that This exists?

Imagine being stuck in a wheel chair for 10 years....then somebody invented this (glidecycle) to assist with balance....after some practice with this contraption your back on your feet and running...

ANYTHING that makes somebody's life better is worth taking a closer look. It may not be for you but someone out there will benefit from it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010 edited

• CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010

t.e.d:
    bikingbill:

EXCELLENT! Recumbents are no longer the dorkiest machines on the road.

In fact this establishes a new level of dorky that can only be described as:

MEGADORK!

Recumbents were unseated long ago with the invention of the Eliptigo.

I saw those eliptigo things at the farmers market last weekend and I don't get them. Do they not want to buy things at the market? I can't figure out how anyone would carry anything on them. where does put a bag? Do these riders wear messenger bags?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010

They were developed primarily as an exercise machine but I talked to the makers and they are in the process of developing cargo options. I believe you can install a front basket for the current setup. But other than that, a bag or backpack is what you'll need right now.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010

Why is it....?

That every time I get into position to make a left turn and I have some really good track standy action going on, the oncoming cars all of a sudden decide to obey the speed limit and drive at a snail's pace yet pass by frequently enough that I cannot turn?
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010 edited

Bev:You're not naive, you're just not embittered and cynical. Keep smiling, G! :o)

To use the Face Book method: LIKE.
    The Elliptigos were primarily developed as an outdoor elliptical cross trainer for runners and triathletes and the like. Same concept was the same inspiration for the StreetStrider (3 wheeler) outdoor elliptical crosstrainer. Our 3psd StreetStrider came with a rear rack to carry standard pannier bags. And I use it twice a day.

To make people's life better...at least for those who are wheel-chair bound and are physically challenged. They need exercise too!
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010

markphilips:

Imagine being stuck in a wheel chair for 10 years....then somebody invented this (glidecycle) to assist with balance....after some practice with this contraption your back on your feet and running...

ANYTHING that makes somebody's life better is worth taking a closer look. It may not be for you but someone out there will benefit from it.

Pretty sure we've already been through this...
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010

That people can't accept that we're all different and focus on the things we share in common, rather than fight about the differences. It seems pretty grade school, but we sure do try hard NOT to get along. I'd really like to live in a world with OUT extremist.
    • CommentAuthorBrandon
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2010

Why is it....?

That 90% of taxi drivers will accelerate toward a red light even when it has clearly just turned red.
    Actually, I notice that all the time with just everyone driving on the road...Especially with sports cars RACING to the next RED light. As if there is an imaginary race to the finish line which is the red light. It is really wasting fuel. Most of the time I let go of the gas pedal and cruise down to the light. Anybody that's behind me will get impatient and overtake me only to be stopped by the red light and we both wait for the light to turn green. Silly, eh?
    Why is it that I got nervous when a student driver was driving behind my car?
    • CommentAuthorBrandon
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2010

It's crazy for anyone to drive this way, but the Taxis are the ones that really bug me, they are professional drivers, you would think they would want to cut fuel and maintenance costs by driving economically.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2010

I know in Madrid they were permanently in 3rd gear. It seemed as if they set off at a green light in 3rd, they sputtered down the street in 3rd, an rarely got over 30mph. There was no racing about there. Maybe because gas was so damn expensive? Not sure. But another anomaly was that all the cab drivers seemd to be Spanish, and in London they all seem to be English. But also being a cab driver over there is a life long career that one is proud of. Just some rambling thoughts out loud.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

The London Taxis are amazing vehicles. They get decent mpg for their size as well.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

Brandon:It's crazy for anyone to drive this way, but the Taxis are the ones that really bug me, they are professional drivers, you would think they would want to cut fuel and maintenance costs by driving economically.

I actually fear the city bus drivers more than taxi drivers. Especially the 7 on University.

On the last tweed ride, we had a bus driver who made it a point to zoom past us and then lunged the buss over to the bus stop. Bus drivers are the worst.
    • CommentAuthorjohnnyb
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010

Why is it that people are afraid of geared bikes and spandex? You really think you look better showing up in denim and a tee that you drenched in sweat because you had to climb 2 hills on a single speed to get where you were going?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

While I fundamentally agree with you Johnny, I would change that from spandex to wool. Wool is dryer and doesn't smell like a locker room like lycra does. If it's a ride that is just to go to the store or something close I just wear my street clothes. If any real riding is involved I will absolutely always be wearing riding clothes. So much more comfortable than street clothes.

On that same note, I don't understand why today's mountain bikers absolutely won't be seen in bike shorts. What's the deal with that? I've tried today's riding baggy shorts and they bind, they rub and they are incredibly hot. I have no idea how mountain bikers can wear them in the summer. In the last 10 years dudes all of a sudden got homophobic about tight shorts. I find it weird. Tight cycling shorts for me thank you very much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Wool rocks. I have one old wool jersey I won't ride for sentimental reasons (my college cycling jersey). I need to find more quality wool stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Bill, I have a lot of 60's through 80's wool jerseys. They are really rough and scratchy compared to today's Merino Wool. I wore lycra once after months of only wearing wool and the lycra felt like I was wearing a plastic bag.
    • CommentAuthorthom

johnnyb:Why is it that people are afraid of geared bikes and spandex? You really think you look better showing up in denim and a tee that you drenched in sweat because you had to climb 2 hills on a single speed to get where you were going?

It's funny, but from the "other side" I often wonder why *everyone* seems to wear spandex and ride racing bikes. :face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Thom, you can rock the old 3 speeds with full lycra kit. You could be the first on that trend :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorthom

Hell yeah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Velo Cult:Hey Bill, We are a Woolistic dealer if you want to pick one up. We are waiting for our latest run of Velo Cult wool jerseys to come in as well. They aren't so good at letting us know when to expect them unfortunately. We expected them a month or two ago. I can get you a good price.

Sounds good.

Can you get Mt. Bike style shorts, sans liner?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Yeah, we can get pretty much anything. Most shops have a 2 or 3 distributors, we have easily 15. The stuff we carry is so varied that we have to go far and wide to find some of it. That leaves us with a large selection of stuff to choose from. I will check on those shorts for you.
    • CommentAuthorslobiker
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010 edited

Why is it... so many of us guys have to dress for the ride to suit the wife? If I were a bachelor I'd ride in an army knit watch cap and an olive green parka. I wouldn't shave and I'd be a rebel, man.

But the wife tells me: no helmet, no bright clothing, no sunblock.... no bike!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010 edited

I have life insurance, my wife doesn't give a damn if I go out without a helmet, with dark clothes on, and/or no sunblock.
    :face-plain:
    • CommentAuthorslobiker

Velo Cult:I have life insurance, my wife doesn't give a damn if I go out without a helmet, with dark clothes on, and/or no sunblock.

You're my hero, dude!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

I do wear a helmet though. I'm good about that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

My lady doesn't ride with a helmet. It would mess up her hair.

She's happy that I ride with one...
    • CommentAuthorSam

Velo Cult:I have life insurance, my wife doesn't give a damn if I go out without a helmet, with dark clothes on, and/or no sunblock.

Same here. So I will brag. Allow me :face-devil-grin:

I didn't marry my husband for his money (he has none), his style (he claims he strives for "homeless chic") or his potential to be my Knight on a steed to save me from some random thing. I married him for his brain and he is quite possibly the smartest man I have ever known. He knows medicine, science, computers, history, philosophy and all sorts of trivia about music covering the 60s -late 80s punk, glam, heavy metal - cold!

The fact that he is so absurdly easy to live and get along with also helps a tad.

Also he happily accompanies me when I want to go out for a ride. I kinda like that.

This is bringing up a thought I will write on the getting SOs to ride thread.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

My wife wants me to wear a helmet, be careful, to come home at a decent time, not get tickets and to quit paying the tab so often.

I never go with out a helmet. :face-devil-grin:

I love my wife, very much. But I question her judgement in men. :face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthorHillbilly
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010

thom:
    johnnyb:Why is it that people are afraid of geared bikes and spandex? You really think you look better showing up in denim and a tee that you drenched in sweat because you had to climb 2 hills on a single speed to get where you were going?

It's funny, but from the "other side" I often wonder why *everyone* seems to wear spandex and ride racing bikes. :face-smile:

I'll second this one...I am with you on the gears johnnyb, but after my tee and denim dries I can go about my business in clothes that I enjoy wearing while I buy groceries/study/work/go to my dentist appointment instead of being stuck in spandex all day. Utility cycling = dressing for the destination, not necessarily the commute :face-smile:
    • CommentAuthorjohnnyb

I guess I sort of meant that people limit themselves to the kind of riding they can do. I commute to work, but also like to get out and do a 30 mile ride on the weekend. Since getting more into road riding, I find people just have a problem with newer bikes (with no idea what they are missing) and functional clothing.

I have done plenty of rides in jeans and tees on my old steel frame. I have just found it's more funcitonal to keep street clothes in your bag and change when you get to where you are going.

Just my .02. I hope to see cycling continue to grow in all the different ways it has been.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Why is it that so many people ride/drive without lights?

On a bike, especially in rural areas and darker sections, this is almost like having a death-wish. In a car I don't get it at all. Don't people notice how the dash is dark and everything sorta looks weird? Confirms all my suspicions abut the situational awareness of most drivers.

Last night I almost ran into some dude on a bike, coming down Torrey Pines Hill. Despite my array of bright lights I did not see him until I was almost on him. Dark clothes, no lights or reflectors and unable to ride a straight line.
    • CommentAuthorthom

johnnyb:I hope to see cycling continue to grow in all the different ways it has been.

Absolutely it will. This city is moving in such positive directions, it's great to see anyone on any kind of bike (*seeing* them being key, as batmick notes!:face-smile:)