Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010

batmick:Why is it that so many people ride/drive without lights?

This is not the case with everyone obviously, but when I've encountered a car driver driving without lights, I've yelled out, "lights!" and then suddenly they realize that they forgot to turn on the lights and I get a little grateful "thank you."

As for cyclists, one incident out of potential dozens. Sometimes someone will ride to the Coaster and then take the Coaster up to meet a bike blogger in a place like Del Mar. She will lose track of time and forget that the Coaster has a very limited schedule on weekends. And since she planned on coming home well before 3pm, she doesn't take her lights. So after a lovely meeting, she rides to the Coaster stop - oh no! No coaster. Oh well, sunset is not for a few hours. Just follow the coastline to go home. And then it is dark, and the rider is in Mira Mesa completely lost. The moon isn't visible so she can't tell which direction she is facing. And since she wears dark colors all the time, she is being the obnoxious ass riding with no lights in the dark. And then finally 7 or so hours later, she finally finds her way to a bus stop that will take her home and away from angry cyclists who plan their day better =)

That's all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010 edited

Planning badly is somewhat forgivable (though still scary). I'd probably take the bus too if I made that mistake or all of my lights failed. However, there are a lot of riders riding at night without lights on a regular basis. It's nuts. You can get a PB SF for $20. You can get some pretty cheap headlights too. They won't light your way all that well but at least they'll help you be seen from the front.

When riding through unlit areas I've encountered pedestrians in the bike lane far too many times. When I only had my cheap and not so bright lights, this was especially scary because I often didn't see them until I was nearly about to hit them. It's better with the super bright lights I run now, but I still think that they're crazy. Pedestrians are supposed to be on the sidewalk if there is one (it's the law).

Even worse is unlit salmons in the same situation. One night I encountered one of these and he was also talking on a cell phone.
    • CommentAuthorHillbilly

johnnyb:I guess I sort of meant that people limit themselves to the kind of riding they can do. I commute to work, but also like to get out and do a 30 mile ride on the weekend. Since getting more into road riding, I find people just have a problem with newer bikes (with no idea what they are missing) and functional clothing.

I have done plenty of rides in jeans and tees on my old steel frame. I have just found it's more funcitonal to keep street clothes in your bag and change when you get to where you are going.

Just my .02. I hope to see cycling continue to grow in all the different ways it has been.

I'm with you 100%. Just throwing my .02 out there in return...glad you took it light-heartedly. We shall unite under the name of cycling growth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Yes Beany, I also try to contact drivers who don't have the lights on and get a similar response. I was just pointing out how that worries me. If they don't even notice that their car's inside and outside are dark, how much do you think they notice anything else that is going on around them?

And I agree there are situations where cyclists can get into the dark, be it through poor planning or unusual circumstances. What makes me an "angry cyclist" is when other's actions puts me in danger too. I'd call a cab, my wife or a friend to give me a ride before riding home blacked out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010

This is why bikes with integrated lighting systems are a good thing. Wish more bikes did that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

bikingbill:This is why bikes with integrated lighting systems are a good thing. Wish more bikes did that.

I agree. For some reason most of the bikes sold here come "naked" and every bit of equipment costs extra. In Germany most of the "everyday" type of bikes come complete with racks, fenders, lights etc..
    Here's an example of a $360 entry level city-bike I found with a 2s search.

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Rack, fenders, 40mm tires and lights?

Too practical for the USA ....
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010

I'm pretty sure the Germans require lights by law (or regulation, at least), as we do with reflectors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010

AlanKHG:I'm pretty sure the Germans require lights by law (or regulation, at least), as we do with reflectors.

That's true. It is actually a pretty big thing right now trying to amend the law such that battery powered systems are legal.
    Apparently some people have been ticketed despite having big $$ battery systems which is a total joke when you see (or don't) the dinky basic generator lights many bikes have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2011 edited

Why is it that when I'm walking around wearing headphones, people talk to me as if I can hear them?
    Why is it.....that I bought a pair of waterproof rainboots specifically for biking, yet never wore them except for a day I chose to leave my bike at home?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011

Why is it ... that when I am riding with someone random on my way to work at a good clip and we come to a red light, they feel compelled to find a way of running it (in this case doing the old right turn, u-turn trick.
    Why is it...that the streets on which I am most consistently honked off or JB'd for taking the lane---are the streets with a full additional left lane drivers could move into?
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012

That is so true! The very worst one is Hwy 101 in Leucadia where the pavement is so rough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

wpstoll:That is so true! The very worst one is Hwy 101 in Leucadia where the pavement is so rough.

Yeah, even with 47mm tires, that is one crappy road.

Who supervised the recent patching job? Stevie Wonder??
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

VirtualRoadKillAli:Why is it...that the streets on which I am most consistently honked off or JB'd for taking the lane---are the streets with a full additional left lane drivers could move into?
    I don't know but I have noticed that too. I got a honker today. He even came up behind me at a red light after I had been sitting there for a good 30 seconds. Most people have the sense to change lanes when they see the bicyclist parked in the middle of the lane at a red light. Some don't. It was a big redneck in a white pickup truck too. After honking didn't work, he changed lanes and yelled out his window. No close pass but I started safety wobbling after the honking started.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012

Why is it that when a grocery store prices an item at, say $1.50, they often promote as "2 for $3.00"?

The answer, of course, is that retailers want to us to purchase more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012

• CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012

Isn't that supposed to be followed by "Buy N' Large!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012

"This American Life" (NPR) did a story on a study which concluded that if we tell customers to do something specific, they will do it: When the researchers put up a sign near the Snickers bars that told people to “Buy 18 for the freezer,” people did stock up. Maybe they didn’t buy 18, but they did buy 1.5 times more than when the sign simply said “buy some.”
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2012

...that when I want to paint, it's a rainy day? San Diego gets six wet days a year, and I pick 'em all. Irony rears it's obtuse head because I'm painting fenders. :face-plain:
    <blockquote><cite> mileco:</cite>...that when I want to paint, it's a rainy day? San Diego gets six wet days a year, and I pick 'em all. Irony rears it's obtuse head because I'm painting fenders. :face-plain:</blockquote>

I have been having that same problem. I wanted to spray some varnish on a bigger painting I just did but looks like today is out...
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012

...that Specialized keeps making the "absorbent wipe" part of their gloves smaller? My '90s era model have a generous area. Just saying-- my nose can run a little on a long ride.
    Why is it that motorists "race to the next red light" only to stop and do it over again to the next red light? When I say "race" those motorists floor the gas pedal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

markphilips:Why is it that motorists "race to the next red light" only to stop and do it over again to the next red light? When I say "race" those motorists floor the gas pedal.
    I don't get it either. I see many who go full speed until the last possible second before hitting the brakes. It's hard on the engine. It wastes fuel. It's hard on the brakes. It doesn't get them there any faster. They do get to spend more time waiting at the light though. Maybe they like that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff

Meh. Same reason they race between speed bumps, or stop signs, or anything really: they don't think of the waste, they think of "wasted time" from them having to slow down for an obstacle. Interesting bit from Jan Gehl's book Cities For People, where he comments on that exact thing. He shares an anecdote about placing "signs of life" next to the roadway - sand boxes, children's toys, ping-pong tables, lawn chair, etc. The idea is that it gives the appearance of someones' backyard. And people identify with that, and slow down accordingly, because they ordinarily don't disrespect someone else's backyard. Unique concept to say the least. Add some real validity to PARK(ing) Day, too. I think I'll drag a wading pool onto Harbor Drive next warm day comes around.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012

Why is it that the city continues its bad practice of striping new bike lanes over completely unridable pavement?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012

wpstoll:Why is it that the city continues its bad practice of striping new bike lanes over completely unridable pavement?

To prevent automobiles from driving there. Throwing off their wheel alignments, and spilling the driver's half-caf, lo-fat lattes.:face-plain:
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012

Now there's a thought! Why not install rumble strips in all bike lanes to discourage automobiles from driving there? That would be consistent with our municipal traffic engineering practices!
    Here's a city document that discusses the costs involved for street sweeping. (2/18/2012) Apparently there is a 12% price drop which shaved $560,000 off the annual cost without reducing services. So my math shows that it costs $4.67 million a year to sweep San Diego's streets. I'm not a finance guru and don't know much about city budgets, but just wanted to share this document in case anyone's wondering. Would doubling the number of streets covered double the cost? Would increasing the frequency of sweeping increase the cost proportionately? Is there such a thing as a sweeper that just picks up large stuff without doing such a detailed job but can be deployed quickly and conveniently? That way, the city can run one of those whenever a biker reports a debris problem on a street. That could maybe help control costs. I don't know, but I'm assuming this will be an issue discussed at the upcoming SD County Bike Summit.

I know "unridable pavement" could also include other things like cracks and potholes that can't be fixed by sweeping. I don't know anything about those. Maybe someone else can chime in on that aspect. For me, the debris in the bike lanes bother me as much as the road condition itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2012 edited

...that patch kits come with enough glue for a gazillion tube repairs but only about half a dozen patches?

Surely, if there was something resembling a bulk source for patches I'd be all over it...
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012

I always carry two patch kits. How many times have I opened one to find the glue completely solidified?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012 edited

Yeah. I'm not generally left with a lot of extra glue. It tends to solidify or evaporate.

I haven't had a flat since November when I put on the 700x35 Marathon Supreme's. I got a nice new Topeak Morph G frame pump for christmas and still haven't used it. That's OK. :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

I run a pair of 28 mm Marathons and also have yet to puncture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

I switched to Marathon Plus tires about 6000 miles ago to deal with goathead thorns and other hazards. Only one flat (nail) from a road hazard. Two from improper rim tape on a wheel build.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012

Why is it that some people would rather waste time harassing a bicyclist than just change lanes?
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

Why is it so many people seem to put so much energy into being jerks on the road, when it takes so little to be nice?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

these questions are like asking how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop... the world may never know :face-sad:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

sd_mike:Why is it so many people seem to put so much energy into being jerks on the road, when it takes so little to be nice?

Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Being a jerk on the road is an outlet for this anger.
    Why is it people turn into Dr Hyde when they are strapped behind the wheel?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

bikingbill:Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.
    "Hanging on in quiet desperation
    Is the English way"

Time

(Mason, Waters, Wright, Gilmour)
    • CommentAuthormfutch

I knew that was coming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012

mfutch:I knew that was coming.
    Hah!

How's Chicago anyways?
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

"The time is gone. The song is over.
    Thought I'd something more to say."
    (op. cit.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012 edited

billd:Why is it that some people would rather waste time harassing a bicyclist than just change lanes?
    "Us and Them.
    And after all we're only ordinary men."
    --
    Us and Them
    Waters, Wright
    You know how I can tell when someone's been trippin' on acid?
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

Hey, I paid good money for those flashbacks!
    • CommentAuthorSerge2

<blockquote><cite> billd:</cite>Why is it that some people would rather waste time harassing a bicyclist than just change lanes?</blockquote>
    As best as I can tell:

Because a panoply of memes in our society, not the least of which is each and every instance of separated infrastructure for bicyclists, particularly those adjacent to the roadway (i.e., bike lanes, side paths and cycle tracks), clearly and officially convey the notion that bicyclists do not belong on the road with motorists, and it's dangerous for cyclists to travel there, so many feel justified and even morally compelled to convey this to any cyclist who to them seems to have somehow missed all that.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

Why is it that it always seems to be a "competition" when you are going faster? The old "go lance" and "go go go" crap when you're going at whatever pace is rather annoying. I'm just trying to get home or to work or wherever. Goes back to the High School attitude of putting down anyone that excels in anything. It is stupid and unnecessary. If I'm racing and in a race, go for it! Cheer on. If I'm just riding along... leave it off, please. Reason for this today... One runner up Texas (where it said no peds) that I asked to step aside, even said please, comes back with a sarcastic "you're welcome", like I'm supposed to say more when I'm breathing rather heavy and moving faster. Next was someone walking up with their bike, I pass, they say "go go"... I reply "I'm just trying to get to the top, not a race." Aside from all that... average commute.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

sd_mike:Why is it that it always seems to be a "competition" when you are going faster? The old "go lance" and "go go go" crap when you're going at whatever pace is rather annoying. I'm just trying to get home or to work or wherever. Goes back to the High School attitude of putting down anyone that excels in anything. It is stupid and unnecessary. If I'm racing and in a race, go for it! Cheer on. If I'm just riding along... leave it off, please. Reason for this today... One runner up Texas (where it said no peds) that I asked to step aside, even said please, comes back with a sarcastic "you're welcome", like I'm supposed to say more when I'm breathing rather heavy and moving faster. Next was someone walking up with their bike, I pass, they say "go go"... I reply "I'm just trying to get to the top, not a race." Aside from all that... average commute.

i get that crap sometimes too... on texas it happens a lot & especially if i ride in to work on a weekend all the roadies on KVR will cheer/mock me. it is annoying as hell! but i just try to take it as a compliment... i think deep down they are just pissed that they spent 2-4 grand on bike & cloths ect, and get passed by a dude with a steel bike & a back pack half their body size... i just laugh it off
    :face-devil-grin: