Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012

Isn't your Davidson worth a couple of thousand? Maybe they're jealous of your bike. I am.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012 edited

Why do lights begin a green cycle and then switch back because they stop sensing the bike. I'm talking about not even going green for me, just a momentary red for the cross traffic.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012

I've had that way too many times with lights! I've learned to just stay on the loop until it changes. That works... usually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012

deprotinator:You know how I can tell when someone's been trippin' on acid?
    :face-monkey:
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

billd:Isn't your Davidson worth a couple of thousand? Maybe they're jealous of your bike. I am.

yes it is :face-devil-grin: but i am a lucky bastard & only paid a few hundred for it... Hippy was trying to convince me to sell it at the next swapmeet & buy a couple of new bikes, but i don't think i can part with my baby... though, at the last one people were way more interested in my bike than anything else i was selling
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

bikingbill:Why do lights begin a green cycle and then switch back because they stop sensing the bike. I'm talking about not even going green for me, just a momentary red for the cross traffic.

This happens to me on Murphy Canyon Rd. northbound at Clairemont Mesa Blvd. and on Utah St. southbound at Lincoln. I go anyway when cross traffic gets the red, then they get the green and floor it when I'm halfway through the intersection. We should call Traffic Engineering about this and complain. If enough of us do, they might do something about it. I'll start on Monday.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012

Sigurd:
    mfutch:I knew that was coming.
    Hah!

How's Chicago anyways?

Chicago is good. Long hours but it's fun. I bought an older steel trek (412 I think) the first day here so I've been doing some exploring. My commute to work right now is 10 miles, 9 of those on the lakefront bike path. I has a blast last weekend at the velodrome here. It's shorter and steeper banked, pretty wild through the turns. It's on the opposite side of town so it's not easy to get to, but I'll make it back there occasionally. I don't think you could survive here, Sigurd. The only hills here are the slight inclines on the bridges. The difference in altitude between the highest point and the lowest point in the STATE is less than 1000 feet...and there is 494 miles between them....
    Why is it that many topics in this forum eventually leads to long debates over vehicular cycling or lack thereof? Seems like there are many pros and cons according to believers and non-believers alike. Many of the reasons have been clearly explained, debated, and outlined again and again in several threads. The advocacy thread, infrastructure thread, news thread, and many others.

Moderators, how about we open up a new topic called Vehicular Cycling and move all the discussions into that? I hope that helps to focus the discussion and serve as a single depository of useful references rather than having to search through many seemingly unrelated threads just to find a certain discussion on VC.

Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2013 edited

Thanks for the suggestion, Deprotinator. The issue at hand clearly needs some tending to, and cooperation from the members is needed. We will try to figure out the best way forward.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2013

Instead of calling the new discussion thread Vehicular Cycling, let's call it the Echo Chamber.
    • CommentAuthorSerge2

Please let's not call it "Vehicular Cycling". That term is loaded with baggage and inherently misunderstood for many reasons I won't go into here (you're welcome ;-)).

A far less problematic term seems to be "Bicycle Driving".

There is also the existing "how to be safe and comfortable in traffic" topic.
    • CommentAuthorStephan

In open forums like this, it's hard to control where discussions go. After a while you get a sense of who says what and should get a sense when the discussion is about to rehash old points. I find the best approach is to hit page down or back and not contribute to the reverberation.