Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010 edited

I live up in La Jolla, and the bike racks are these awful wheelbender things that you can't lock to properly, if even they exist. If I want to harass various businesses about what a bad first impression this makes to their customers, are there any programs to get a rack I can refer them to? Or does the SDCBC or some such have an organized program to help harass businesses? Etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2010

I can get them bike racks at a discounted price. Im willing to do that. I have been offering that to the businesses that are joining the Bicycle Discount Program.

What I have been doing is talking to a few of the business associations trying to inspire them to spend the money to get community wide bike racks that all match. I know South Park and North park are actively working on making that happen right now. Not sure about other communities. As I talk to business Associations around the country about the discount program i will be talking to them about bike racks at the same time.

Kathy im sure has more to add to this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy

La Jolla businesses have to follow the City of San Diego municipal code, which says
    (e) Bicycle Facilities
    (1) The minimum number of required bicycle parking spaces is two.
    (2) The maximum number of required bicycle parking spaces is 25. These
    spaces can be accommodated with racks for 25 bicycle spaces or racks
    for 12 spaces and 12 bicycle lockers if lockers are also required.
    (3) The following uses are exempt from the bicycle facilities requirement:
    Cemeteries, mausoleums, crematories;
    Maintenance and repair uses;
    Boarding kennels;
    Pet grooming services;
    Veterinary clinics and hospitals;
    Vehicle and vehicular equipment sales and service uses; and
    Mining and extractive industries

the whole code is here

It requires a certain amount of bike parking, usually .1 bike parking spots per 1000 square feet of retail or commercial space. So if you have a 100,000 foot store, you have to provide 10 bike parking spots

The trick might be to get them to get decent racks. There's no program in the city that I know of that gives private businesses racks. I'd love it if the BID's could help - great idea, Sky! There supposedly are the public blue bike racks that can be installed in the public right of way by the city (usually on the sidewalk). Beryl from the El Cajon Blvd Association can share her stories of frustration on how LONG it is taking to get them installed. They've been waiting a couple of years at least. *sigh*

You might be able to encourage them if they knew how cheap decent racks really are. An 'inverted U' rack that can hold two bikes is $99 plus shipping from Dero - http://www.dero.com/products/hoop_rack/hoop_rack.html All they have to do is bolt it down.

We don't really have an organized effort to reach out to businesses. We usually handle it on a business by business basis. The first step is really just to talk to the business owner and tell them nicely that you would really like to see better bike parking. They're probably not thinking about bike parking at all - 'hey, we're doing great - we have a rack, don't we?' If they need more help or resources, we'd be happy to help them figure it out - they can find us at www.sdcbc.org
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

<blockquote><cite> Kathy:</cite> Beryl from the El Cajon Blvd Association can share her stories of frustration on how LONG it is taking to get them installed. They've been waiting a couple of years at least. *sigh* </blockquote>

In tribute to the American standard, lock a bike to a rail, have it cut by the police and then sue?
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG

On that topic, what's San Diego law on locking your bike to random crap on the sidewalk?
    • CommentAuthorxmedic
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010

My office is in Mission Valley ( Camino Del Rio South ) which is a terrible road lacking a sidewalk and bike lanes which I ride everyday...
    The big problem is the lack of bike racks around any of the buildings in the area, I currently lock up to a sign.
    I would like to finally address this problem with the building manager ( not friendly ) and would like to know if there any regulation on my side before I approach him/them.
    Gee, if we had bike racks we could offer the sdbikecommuter discount...
    • CommentAuthorStephan

xmedic:My office is in Mission Valley ( Camino Del Rio South ) which is a terrible road lacking a sidewalk and bike lanes which I ride everyday...
    The big problem is the lack of bike racks around any of the buildings in the area, I currently lock up to a sign.
    I would like to finally address this problem with the building manager ( not friendly ) and would like to know if there any regulation on my side before I approach him/them.
    Gee, if we had bike racks we could offer the sdbikecommuter discount...

There are bike parking requirements in the City of San Diego's municipal code, but that doesn't mean an owner of an existing building can be forced to add bike parking facilities. If you are parking for the legnth of your work day, you should be asking for a bike locker or other higher-security parking than a bike rack outside. If the building management is unsympathetic, you might as well ask for what you want. You just might get something better than youhave now, which is nothing.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

I'm lucky in that I can bring my bike into my office. It's easy to get to from outside, so it's not like I'm marking up an elevator, but it's worth a shot to see if you can keep it in the lobby, or by your desk/cubicle...
    • CommentAuthorJim

Kathy:La Jolla businesses have to follow the City of San Diego municipal code, which says
    (

Any other cities in the county have these type codes?
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG

This is my hit list so far:
    -Vons (oft-full wheelbender rack)
    -CVS (wheelbender rack usually blocked by carts)
    -Most of downtown La Jolla (you have to lock to benches, it seems, & that makes people unhappy)

It'd be awesome if there were something like this:
    http://bike-pgh.org/blog/2009/10/29/city-launches-bike-rack-program-rack-request-form-now-live/
    http://bike-pgh.org/blog/2009/12/08/bike-racks-starting-to-populate-city-streets/
    Are there foundations around here that can be hit up for dollars for something similar?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010

Stephan:There are bike parking requirements in the City of San Diego's municipal code, but that doesn't mean an owner of an existing building can be forced to add bike parking facilities.
    How does that work, then, Stephan - do the parking requirements only apply to new construction? Just trying to figure out what a property owner / developer can be held accountable for.
    • CommentAuthorStephan

Njord Noatun:
    Stephan:
    How does that work, then, Stephan - do the parking requirements only apply to new construction? Just trying to figure out what a property owner / developer can be held accountable for.

I don't know the details of how the City of SD enforces its building codes. Certainly it would apply to new construction, and there might be a threshold for remodeling and rennovations where the requirement would apply.

Regarding Alan's reference to the Pittsburgh bike rack program, SANDAG has funded bike racks (those blue inverted U racks) for the City of San Diego, and while the supply lasts, merchants are able to request racks in front of their businesses on public right of way. Not in private parking lots like at a grocery store. The City will be eligible to apply for more funds next spring if the current supply has run out. I'll pass this on to the City's Bicycle Coordinator.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Does anyone have a friend with a metal shop? I would like to get a quote on a simple hoop-style plate to install on parking meters and poles myself. I would use U bolts and one-way nuts so there wouldn't be permanent damage etc... Has anyone else had similar ideas?
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2010

Here's my good one. Fresh and Easy, right near my house. Has "hybrid only" parking. The bike rack is on the side of the store. <em>around the corner where there are no windows or doors to the store, thus out of site</em>. I left suggestions in the suggestion box. So one day, when driving, I parked in the hybrid. An employee mentioned that he didn't think my car was a hybrid. Once I explained he laughed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2010

With no rack in sight it's time for guerrilla bike parking.
    :face-devil-grin:

• CommentAuthorxmedic
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2010

Hi,
    I am ordering a couple of bike racks for my clinic at Brookes Ave./5th. Ave. in Hillcrest.
    Who must I contact in order to have permission to drill them into the sidewalk and learn the appropriate regulations?
    Any leads would be appreciated.
    Jeff
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2010

I go to Babbo Grande on occasion (restaurant on University near Centre St), no racks nearby. I lock it to a tree, but it really isn't a good spot at all. That whole block could use something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2011

Thought I'd resurrect this thread after Arturo showed me this puppy from Cyclehoop Ltd.
    Signs of things to come :face-angel:

Ride your bike to downtown Santa Monica Ice and park your bike for free!! Check out the newly installed temporary bike corral at 5th and Arizona!

This one's at the Parkrose/Sumner Transit center in Portland.
    Recycled bicycle rack
    Lock'em up or tie'em up (from Rainbow Kitchen Natural Foods Market in Ojai,CA)
    IMG02986-20120421-1100.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012 edited

This is really a bike rack in front of Toppers Pizza in Oxnard,CA
    IMG02967-20120420-1615.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2012 edited

San Diego's first bike corral on 5th and University. Thanks to BikeSD for the good news :face-angel:
    Please be sure to send your thank you letters, phone calls and other love notes to:

Tom Landre – TLandre (at) sandiego.gov, phone: (619) 533-3045

Councilman Todd Gloria – toddgloria (at) sandiego.gov, phone: (619) 236-6633

In front of the newly remodeled Von's on Washington and Dove.

Photobucket
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2012

Went to the bank today...

...when I came out there were five more bikes.
    Went right past this today and didn't see it. I'll have to take a look tomorrow. Awesome addition to the neighborhood.
    One of the custom logo bike racks installed last year at Hamilton's Tavern in South Park.

One of the custom logo bike racks installed last year at Hamilton's Tavern in South Park. I actually watched a guy from Arboriform installing these one Saturday last April, as seen on my bike commuter blog.
    Great to be able to stop in for a beer without locking up to a tree!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2012 edited

So many people on bicycles showed up today and filled bike corral. More bike corral, please!

IMG03332-20120514-1154.jpg
    I actually saw a few of us and our bikes on the news last night too, kinda funny. I hope the other 3 planned get put in soon. A step in the right direction for sure.
    Nice rack recently installed in Carlsbad village. According to Bryan Jones, 20 are scheduled to be installed and many more to come.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012 edited

Is your bike having a bad hair day? Fear not! Introducing the comb rack.

This rad rack lives in Roanoke, Virginia.

• CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012

svelocity:Went to the bank today...

...when I came out there were five more bikes.
    Need one of these on 30th & University in North Park!!
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2012

There is a new bike corral soon to open on Louisiana St just north of Howard Ave. I walked by there earlier and the only thing missing appears to be the "BIKE PARKING" sign.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

sd_mike:There is a new bike corral soon to open on Louisiana St just north of Howard Ave.
    Being a mostly residential block that seems like a curious location for a corral: Is the purpose to serve bike patrons of the businesses on El Cajon Blvd.?
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

The trouble is, there aren't many businesses along El Cajon Blvd there that would necessitate such a parking spot. It is adjacent to the Lafayette Hotel, but that is about it. I really see it as a waste, two blocks over at Alabama would be better, as there are many times I see many bicycles parked adjacent to the bar and pizza place there.
    I thought the second one was supposed to be at 30th & north park way? Anybody been past there recently? Anything going on with that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2012

sd_mike:The trouble is, there aren't many businesses along El Cajon Blvd there that would necessitate such a parking spot. It is adjacent to the Lafayette Hotel, but that is about it. I really see it as a waste, two blocks over at Alabama would be better, as there are many times I see many bicycles parked adjacent to the bar and pizza place there.

Sam and I checked it out today. I agree. Weird place off of the actual ECB. Not sure I am comfortable leaving my bike that far off the beaten path no matter how well it is locked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2012 edited

I'm told that these are newly donated in Del Mar. Not sure where in Del Mar.

Apparently most people don't realize that these are bike racks.

Blue Fin Tuna?
    (Street Art ... Ha! I like it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2012

The ups and downs of unprotected parking in the street.

Whew!!! The second shot was taken from the spot I had my bike parked, minutes before (in first photo).
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2012

^^ what happened?
    • CommentAuthorsrvienna

•  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

eeeeek! i thought those bike corrals were suposta be protected by bollards? i dunno, never used one yet... but it would seem common sense. poor bikes :(
    srvienna:^^ http://sf.streetsblog.org/2012/07/16/driver-plows-through-bike-corral-at-duboce-and-valencia-injuring-man/

This isn’t the first time Zeitgeist has had a bike corral ruined by a driver. Their previous, smaller corral on the Valencia side of the corner was also wrecked last year.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2012

The Linkery now has a bike corral!
    Ribbon cutting at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow (9/6); I'm trying to get my ducks in a row to be there.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2012

I will try to be there... being a bike corral in my neighborhood (yes, there is one two blocks from me, but this one is useful) and I should be free.