Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2010

Not being content with piling all ride reports and photo logs into the "Commute" or "Dally Photos" threads, I set up this thread for all to post their daily rides. With or without photos is fine - post here about any ride that was memorable to you and that you think other members might be interested in!

I'll start to get this thread going.

-----

Inspired by the "Where to Ride From Old Town" thread and Wiki article on bike routes up Mt. Soledad, I decided to revisit some of the off the beaten track scenery in my hilly "backyard" today. Here are some highlights. As is clear from the photos, the ride was blanketed in glorious fog - the view pictures will have to wait till next time! Click to zoom.

I started doing some small climbs at the southern slopes of Soledad just to warm up, then hit Bird Rock and entered in past the gate at the bottom of Corona. Continued onto Rancho, Rodeo, Mesa and the secret unpaved Solymar.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Then dropped downtown via Muirlands Dr., up Soledad Ave., and up past the two little known historic bridges to the south: It is steep here and the bridges were built so that the road could loop back above itself for a full circle "switchback":

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket

To be continued in next post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2010 edited

CONTINUED:

Continued onto Hillside Dr, and instead of riding Via Capri, I took the gated trail extension of Hillside perched high above Via Capri, hit Via Capri near the top, took a quick detour to the Soledad Memorial, and then back into downtown via Upper Hillside and the "private" section of roadway blocked off by two giant gates, and a quick detour into the Open Space:

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Stopped at the Farmer's Market and ran into Chris K (member XO-1) on his beautifully restored Stout custom. The two of us rode through the Fay Ave. Extension trails and Bird Rock dirt paths into PB. I joined him for my third Soledad climb of the day - up Candlelight, Rutgers and Scenic.

Photobucket Photobucket

A fantastic two hours spent!
    • CommentAuthorantnav6

That looks like an awesome ride!

My ride buddy and I climbed Soledad Mtn Rd. this morning, then flew down Nautilus, and came around back through the beaches into Old Town (im the one that started the "routes out of Old Town thread)

If I knew of these "secret" little streets I would have loved to ride them. Do you have a gps bike computer and can share the map?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

antnav6:If I knew of these "secret" little streets I would have loved to ride them. Do you have a gps bike computer ?
    I do but forgot to bring it (where's that "embarassed" icon when you need it?).

But I recreated the essence of it on Bikely - here. (Small sections of this particular ride may be unsuitable for pure-bred racing bikes as it travels a couple of short dirt sections).

If you want to go riding some time I could show you some of the different ways to climb Soledad. This offer extends to anyone here wanting to do some hill climbing.
    • CommentAuthorantnav6

Total noobie question here, i just bought my first Road Bike (Specialized Allez). Are those small dirt sections gonna pop my tires?
    My bud and I would def be up for a local tour guide through all those climbs. We are both fairly strong riders, dont think we'll hamper your pace at all..
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

None of the dirt sections are a "must" for this ride as there are pavement sections only a few hundred feet away that can be substituted. I run 32mm reinforced tires (and a triple) because I enjoy the occasional offroad detour. Your Allez likely has narrow, high-pressure racing tires, so with it I would stay off the loose stuff.

Any time you guys are ready for some more hill climbing, let me know. I am riding a touring-commuter bike, so I seriously doubt that you will be slowing me down...more likely, it'll be the other way around!
    down coast highway to the sprinter then home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010

Down Alga to coffee shop, then to the Carlsbad Apple store to pick up an iPad for a client, then back up the hill to home.

Short, but satisfying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Mountain biking out at Mt. Laguna and investigated an abandoned old war era military base.
    • CommentAuthorthom

Ah, the Old War Era. :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

whoops :face-angel:
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2010

Njord Noatun:
    antnav6:If I knew of these "secret" little streets I would have loved to ride them. Do you have a gps bike computer ?
    I do but forgot to bring it (where's that "embarassed" icon when you need it?).

But I recreated the essence of it on Bikely - here. (Small sections of this particular ride may be unsuitable for pure-bred racing bikes as it travels a couple of short dirt sections).

If you want to go riding some time I could show you some of the different ways to climb Soledad. This offer extends to anyone here wanting to do some hill climbing.

Looks like a fun ride, I have been wanting to make it over there for a while!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010

An.dy:Looks like a fun ride, I have been wanting to make it over there for a while!
    If you want to ride this together, just say the word! I am not fast, but I can make it.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010

Today I rode to the Little Italy Farmers' Market. Lovely ride over (went down 30th to Broadway where I encountered the many SD foot rests or road warts). Had delicious coffee from Joe's on the Nose, panninis from the pannini place and a samosa from the samosa place. After being well satiated, I did my shopping. I think it is one of the best markets in SD that I've been to.

The eastern parts of Date (close to the freeway) were closed to traffic and they had kids drawing with chalk on the roads. Not sure what that was all about. But 'twas nice to see.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010

bëany:Today I rode to the Little Italy Farmers' Market. Lovely ride over (went down 30th to Broadway where I encountered the many SD foot rests or road warts). Had delicious coffee from Joe's on the Nose, panninis from the pannini place and a samosa from the samosa place. After being well satiated, I did my shopping. I think it is one of the best markets in SD that I've been to.

The eastern parts of Date (close to the freeway) were closed to traffic and they had kids drawing with chalk on the roads. Not sure what that was all about. But 'twas nice to see.

I thought I had seen your bike parked there! I walked around but didn't see you. :)

I had never been to that market and was very excited at what I found. The chalk drawings and some of the music was actually part of the Little Italy Festa (goes on till tomorrow with some other stuff going on) but I asked and it seems like in general it is a pretty big market. I had convinced a friend to go and check it out with me and she actually ended up buying all sorts of delicious goodies. I scored a pumpkin scone and some dates. Yummm.
    I also had the best cappuccino with the thickest foam ever, from Pappalecco on the corner of State and Cedar. Good stuff!

I should've bought my greens and veggies but didn't quite know when I would get home as I took 'the long way round' and coasted to Mission Bay and PB up to my place.

Beautiful day to be out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010 edited

I stock up at Little Italy every Saturday morning --one of my fave rides of the week. A little sketchiness coming back up the hill on Grape St. where you have to take two lanes to avoid the South 5 onramp, but a great collection of food, esp. in the summer, when it is even bigger.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010 edited

gavilan:

I thought I had seen your bike parked there! I walked around but didn't see you. :)

Aww, that's too bad. I'd have loved to see you there. I will check out that coffee place next time however.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010

Setting out this morning to find out how many different ways I could climb Mt. Soledad before I god bored with it, this is what I came up with. These aren't the only ways to get up, but I got quite a few of them covered.

2,700' accumulated elev. gain.

Photobucket
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010

Taken from today's ride:

Photobucket Photobucket

Now for you to guess - where are these pictures taken (same area; different angle)? Hint: City of San Diego
    • CommentAuthorslobiker
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010 edited

Njord Noatun: ...Now for you to guess - where are these pictures taken (same area; different angle)? Hint: City of San Diego

I'm going to say Chauncey Rd north of the Harbor Dr. bridge, looking southeast toward downtown.
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010

Njord Noatun:Setting out this morning to find out how many different ways I could climb Mt. Soledad before I god bored with it, this is what I came up with. These aren't the only ways to get up, but I got quite a few of them covered.

2,700' accumulated elev. gain.

Photobucket

Two of my roommates & I were working on what we christened "The Fivefold Path to Solitude" which is riding up Soledad the five main roads (Capri, Nautilus, Soledad Mountain, Cardeno, LJ Mesa) but we ran out of light at three last time. Soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010

slobiker:I'm going to say Chauncey Rd
    That's it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010

AlanKHG:Two of my roommates & I were working on what we christened "The Fivefold Path to Solitude" which is riding up Soledad the five main roads (Capri, Nautilus, Soledad Mountain, Cardeno, LJ Mesa)
    Although not that ideal for utility or commuter cycling, Soledad is a fantastic resource for recreation and exercise!

Once you're bored with the "main" ones, you are in for a treat in doing some of the "less traveled paths to solitude":

* LJ Corona / LJ Rancho: Gate at the bottom, practically no traffic
    * Country Club Dr / Upper Hillside / Via Casa Alta - gate towards the top, practically no traffic
    * Hillside Dr - incl. historic bridges, and trail section near the top!

In addition, the five "main" climbs all have interesting variations (Via Valverde, Soledad Rd., Pacifica, Muirlands Dr. with "secret" dirt alley)!
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2011 edited

Last night a group of (phenomenal) friends put together a birthday ride for me. I wanted to ride up hills and celebrate by eating cheesecake. So CicloExplorer put together a route with help from the Steepest Hills thread that started with Torrance and then Bandini and then finally B Street. It was also the ride of bendy dérailleurs one which was fixed on the spot by the mighty Hans who also organized the entire thing. After all the hill climbing, the homemade pizza and cheese cake slices were well worth it!
    Belated Happy Birthday Sam
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2011

Happy Birthday. Sounds like a great way to spend it to me.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2011 edited

mark and ted, thank you!

Per the CicloExplorer's suggestion, here is a writeup of the ride for anyone interested, Boisterous Bluff Ascent in Search of Curdled Milk Loaf
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Happy birthday Sam!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

Sounds like a fun ride. Happy Birthday!
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2011

Those hills are derailleur-killers but it was a fantastic ride with awesome people and a good excuse.
    As it was pointed out to Sam: it's all downhill from here. :p
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2011

Had a few extra hours in the morning before a meeting, so rode around from NTC to Point Loma in dense fog yesterday (head and taillights running all day!): Up and over a couple of times (Canon St, Hill St.), down to OB for coffee, through Point Loma Nazarene, and out to Cabrillo National Monument, where I prepared to turn around at the gate (not wanting to support the current fee structure where pedestrians and bicyclists subsidize tickets for visitors arriving by cars) when the guard open his window and told me I was welcome to enter the park. I thanked him and did so.

Once inside, I noticed bicyclists and joggers/walkers pretty much freely enter past the guard house without being charged entry fees, despite plenty of signage demanding payment from all visitors: Although the non-paying visitors may have had passes, is anybody aware of a policy at Cabrillo that may treat cyclists/joggers/pedestrians leniently in terms of charging for admissions?

At any rate, saw a giant warship leave town from one of the vista points - photo below.

Dropped down to the tidepool area, and the climb back out again is fantastic! Then back to NTC for my meeting, than up to La Jolla for my work. In the evening, back to Point Loma. Stopped at the bike shop on Voltaire to thank the proprietor, Ryan, for sponsoring the CX events in Florida Canyon.

All and all a fantastic day of commuting and fun.

Photobucket
    • CommentAuthorslobiker
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2011

Yesterday morning (Saturday) I rode from National City to Carlsbad. Had pizza at the outlet mall by the flower field. Swung over to the NAMM building, at the Museum of Making Music, and asked if I could put my cycling bags someplace safe. Since I had an hour and a half before the movie I hopped over to Karl Strauss and got a couple of beers.

Came back to watch the movies. Guys. I was the only bicyclist there. I thought we were going to jet out to Pizza Port for some brewskis. Anyway, the Museum isn't especially bike friendly... nowhere to tie up. I chained to a handicapped sign and at that I had my bike in the bushes. We need to raise a fuss with NAMM to put in some bike racks.

Spent the night in Encinitas. Today I rode down the coast and turned off at Miramar Rd. That was the hardest part of the ride due to the headwinds!! Rode over to SDSU; met up with the gal giving GPS systems for a study. Ted was also there. (We have to return the GPS gizmos in a week).

Rode home by following 54th to Euclid. Think I'd like to find a different route. Down Imperial to the Home Depot and then home to NastyTown. Great weekend.

Slo, over and out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011

i need to go get my gps gizmo on the 30th.. .. . anybody else going that day? maybe we can make a ride out of it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011 edited

Today, I rode the "Santa Cruz Mountain Challenge" metric century route (the actual event is next weekend, so today was the workers' ride) with a couple of dozen riders from the local cycle club.

Some of the best riding I have ever done. 101K/7,600'.

Can't post pictures at the moments as I have no way of getting the pictures off my camera - maybe later.

Photobucket Photobucket
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011

I rode up the coast with some trikers, dud a turn around at the San Onfre campgrounds. 60 miles for the day.

Ate too small of a breakfast, ran out of cliff bars, kinda bonked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011

Rode Coronado with the SDBC ...

That's Gordy Shields, the fastest 90+ year old rider. I hope I'm riding when I'm his age.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2011

Gordy didn't buy that jersey off the rack at Performance! He holds multiple national championships in his age group over the years in road, criterium, and time trial. I was starter at the Fiesta Island Time Trial several years ago when Gordy won the 90+ national championship.

A couple of years before that I was a motor official at a time trial out on Hwy. 80 at Buckman Springs. It was an out and back course. On the return trip Gordy, 88 at the time, had his head down in an aerodynamic tuck on his TT machine and caught his 30 second man (who was in his 70s!). He didn't see the rider in front of him, touched wheels, and went down hard, raising a cloud of dust on the shoulder. I stopped to render assistance, helped him up, and asked if he wanted the medics to come pick him up. Bleeding from his right arm he dusted himself off, got back on the bike, and finished the race!

My maternal grandfather rode every day until he was 89. I hope I'm as healthy and lucky.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2011

I rode down to Chula Vista today for the groundbreaking ceremony for the remainder of the Bayshore Bikeway. Then rode up to Coronado on the strand. Had lunch at Tartine that was almost all filled with women and babies, rode to Ferry, took Ferry to downtown, rode around downtown, had early dinner at The Neighborhood and then had a nice leisurely ride back home. Perfect day for riding.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011

I guess no one likes to post where they rode besides, to work?

Well, this is more of a "where I rode last Sunday".

After volunteering with the Bike the Bay people, Stephan, Hans, Lisi and I decided to ride to obtain some nourishment. On our way over to Liberty Station's Con Pane, we ran into crash and his wife who joined us. After a tasty meal, all of us split, with me wanting to see another nicer way of getting out of Liberty Station besides Harbor Drive and Stephan led me on a very pretty route to OB along Chatsworth Blvd (new to me). Stephan and I then split ways and I meandered all over OB before heading back home.

---
    On another note, I think Billd or some other hardier soul than me has mentioned riding on the death trap that is Barnett/Pacific Hwy. I finally had the privilege of seeing my life flash multiple times before my eyes when I headed to Liberty Station from Old Town a few weeks ago and crossing from Pacific to Barnett during rush hour was one of the most unpleasant experiences I've had in a long time. Oh wait. Today I got chased by two aggressive, angry dogs before I remembered to channel the great Caesar and be the alpha male. I didn't have the presence of mind to call animal control. But maybe someone kind soul will put them out of their lonely existence before they decided to chase another bicyclist. I can only hope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011 edited

Sam:On another note, I think Billd or some other hardier soul than me has mentioned riding on the death trap that is Barnett/Pacific Hwy. I finally had the privilege of seeing my life flash multiple times before my eyes when I headed to Liberty Station from Old Town a few weeks ago and crossing from Pacific to Barnett during rush hour was one of the most unpleasant experiences I've had in a long time.
    Sounds like you were going the opposite direction to what I normally do. I go South on Pacific Highway and through the merge every day.

It sounds like you were going North on Pacific Highway and moving into the left lane to cross over onto Barnett via a ramp/bridge over Pacific Highway South. That's probably scarier than what I do. Just getting across the bridge in front of the MCRD entrance is brutal because it narrows to two lanes and the right lane is too narrow for safe sharing. Then you have the cross over to the left lane in a 55mph zone, which is scary. Once you get past the narrow lane, I would generally recommend going up to the light and go left at Enterprise and then work your way back to Barnett from there. It's quite a bit less scary than doing the left lane ramp onto Barnett.

An option for avoiding the narrow lane I mentioned above is to take the frontage road next to Pacific Highway. A little past Washington you can make a right on Noelle St, cross the train tracks and turn left on Hancock. Then turn left on Witherby and take the ramp back onto Pacific Highway, entering just past the ultra narrow spot. It's a fairly annoying detour but for people who don't like braving narrow lanes in 55mph zones, it can be a lot less harrowing.

You can't take Hancock from Washington because it's a one-way street there, going the wrong way (it becomes Kettner). It's a two-way by the time you get to Noelle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011 edited

Hey!! - I had forgotten about this thread. Today:

1) This morning, rode to work from PB to downtown La Jolla via the Soledad Cross.
    2) Forgot wallet; rode home for lunch via Soledad Cross.
    3) Back to work after lunch, via Soledad Cross (...see the pattern yet?).
    4) Tonight, rode home via Soledad Cross.

It has been a good day!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

Okay.

Up Ulric/Linda Vista to Thuan Phat market then REI on the new Brompton. Back down to Nijiya market and then up Fairmount to North Park farmers market where I saw Bryan from this forum and talked with farmer Lucila from Suzie's Farm. 30 mile loop on the Brompton was easy and the Touring bag holds a ton.
    Cecil:Okay.

Up Ulric/Linda Vista to Thuan Phat market then REI on the new Brompton. Back down to Nijiya market and then up Fairmount to North Park farmers market where I saw Bryan from this forum and talked with farmer Lucila from Suzie's Farm. 30 mile loop on the Brompton was easy and the Touring bag holds a ton.

Whoa. What's your gearing on the Brompton?
    • CommentAuthordstone

My mother is visiting from Washington, DC and we decided to grab dinner at Pizza Port OB and rode out from Windansea and back. She bike commutes in the suburbs of Maryland and is the one who taught me the commuting toughness I know today, so it was pleasant to finally do the same "commute" with her!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2011

markphilips:
    Cecil:Okay.

Whoa. What's your gearing on the Brompton?

I got the -12% option on the 6 speed a la the Path Less Pedaled folks. This seems like a good configuration for touring and for the hilly parts of SD. 3rd is low enough for Fairmount, Bachman is more of a 1 and 2. I'll post a first impressions on the folding bikes thread soon.

dstone:My mother is visiting from Washington, DC and we decided to grab dinner at Pizza Port OB and rode out from Windansea and back. She bike commutes in the suburbs of Maryland and is the one who taught me the commuting toughness I know today, so it was pleasant to finally do the same "commute" with her!

That is so awesome.
    • CommentAuthorSam

dstone:My mother is visiting from Washington, DC and we decided to grab dinner at Pizza Port OB and rode out from Windansea and back. She bike commutes in the suburbs of Maryland and is the one who taught me the commuting toughness I know today, so it was pleasant to finally do the same "commute" with her!

Agreed, pretty awesome!

To date, MD suburbs have been my favorite suburbs I've ridden on. When I rode on it, there was ample shoulder space/bike lane (really it was just a shoulder that they slapped a "bike lane" sign to), well paved, clean roads. Not sure if that is true of the entire state, but the parts I rode on were like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

I did my normal commute, but at lunch I took a quick ride on Neptune (and then back to 101) to Haggos Organic Tacos in Leucadia.

http://www.ieatneat.com/2011/07/31/haggos-organic-tacos/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/haggos-organic-taco-encinitas

Good stuff.
    • CommentAuthordstone
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2011

Sam:
    Agreed, pretty awesome!

To date, MD suburbs have been my favorite suburbs I've ridden on. When I rode on it, there was ample shoulder space/bike lane (really it was just a shoulder that they slapped a "bike lane" sign to), well paved, clean roads. Not sure if that is true of the entire state, but the parts I rode on were like that.

Not so good for her! She rides about 1.5 mi on a bike lane that cuts off when you get to the on-ramps for interstate 370, the ICC, and the Shady Grove Metro Station. Then she has the rest of the 4 mi to go along the 3 lane Shady Grove road without protection, crossing a whole bunch of major roads and interstates in typical sprawl. She says the roads are much better maintained than San Diego's, though!

I think they expect bikers to turn off at the Metro station, even though that also is connected via the end of an interstate. She has a nice little airhorn on her handlebars to scare off drivers being jerks; I commuted with her once when I was home and saw her use it in action: very effective, much louder than the horns of the offending drivers.

Just curious though, where were you riding?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011 edited

Today we rode one of my favorite sightseeing routes; the kind of ride I may choose to do when I have cycling friends visiting from out of town if I wanted to give them a taste of what “America’s Finest” is all about. The route covers extensively many neighborhoods and sights in the original City of San Diego, as well as certain portions of what used to be the City of East San Diego.

The route is shown in Google Maps here. It is one large loop with a small panhandle down to Cabrillo Monument. It represents one way to see many sights in San Diego on relatively safe roads for bicyclists.

Here are some snapshots of some key sights and neighborhoods from the ride in roughly chronological order the way I rode it; counter-clockwise. Click to embiggen.

The pictures would have been different if it had been sunny out!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011

Cont:

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket