Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorzonal
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011

Cecil:Good ride around uptown yesterday with Zonal while plotting the vegan takeover

Shh, lest our domination plans be foiled. Mua-ha-ha.

Yesterday Cecil & I did a 25-mile uptown -> OB -> downtown -> uptown loop which normally wouldn't be very impressive at all in my honest opinion except that this occurred the day after he did a century loop & he STILL managed to beat me up the hills. Daaaang. *bows humbly*

•  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011

lisi:
    Cecil: I think a better way to do it might be to go down Torrey and do a Del Dios highway loop before returning via Torrey. If anyone is interested in that kind of slower loop at around 15-16 mph, I'm down.

I'm down for this at some point!

Whenever you're ready, let's go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011

well, not today, but over the weekend i was in Fresno to visit family & friends and to clear out my storage & get it all down here.... so friday afternoon i went out for a ride with a buddy of mine. it was really nice actually! not a lot of bike lanes.... i think i may have seen more driving through town than on the ride... but the roads were quiet & sweet! flat as pancake, and tons of fall trees changing colors!
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

I'd be up for that ride too... though won't be until January that I'm free.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

Up and over Lyons Valley Road to Otay Lakes. Missed a turn and added about 26 extra miles. Ended up at 88 with 7,000 feet climbed. Beautiful day to make a mistake. Somebody put that near the middle summit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011 edited

Dude - missing a turn and doing a 26 mile detour sounds awesome!

Any dirt riding - do you have a GPS track for others looking to ride here?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011

Sigurd:Dude - missing a turn and doing a 26 mile detour sounds awesome!

Any dirt riding - do you have a GPS track for others looking to ride here?

It turns out that my planned route was 66 miles- I checked the track from the first time I did it- so 22 mile detour. Looks like I was headed toward the 8 east of Alpine, which might make an interesting century ride.

View 2011-11-28 08:57 in a larger map

(In two parts)

The turn I missed is pretty obvious. It's worth doing - after you summit, there is the Lyons Valley General Store to re-nourish and then after one more short climb you descend to Otay Lakes for at least 10 miles and if you're lucky, the parachutists are landing at the air strip.

There may be some dirt up there. I was on my road bike this time, so wasn't looking.
    I live right around the corner from Paul, so I followed his route (above) this morning. I made it about before returning. Some good climbs (at least for me) through Paradise Valley. All told, close to 40 miles. Paul, bump me or email me if you ever want to get together for a ride.
    Or Cecil!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2011

The Schwinn Lawyer:...I followed his route (above) this morning.
    Sounds like a great ride; you must've gotten an early start!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2011

Hey Chris,

I answer to both (when I answer). A ride sounds good. Another way to do it is to climb up to the Lyons Valley General store, which is right at 30 miles and turn around to descend the way you came for a 60 mile trip with equal parts climb and descent. I have a slight prejudice against returning the way I came but I'd love to finally descend that climb.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011

Did one of my favorite urban "cruiser" routes today: OB - Sunset Cliffs - NTC - Harbor - Logan - SP - NP - City Hgts - Kens - Normal Hgts - Univ Hgts - Hillcrest - Mission Hills - Old Town - river path - MB.

Good times!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011

Went up to Lyons Valley Trading Post again but this time turned around and came back the same way after refreshments. The descent is super fast (and cold). Ended up oblivious to the fact that I was riding on the 94 after being in the wrong left turn lane at Rancho San Diego (oops) but didn't get caught and exited eventually.

The Trading Post is a welcome sight after the final 2 mile climb (Strava calls it a Cat 3.) They have the requisite HFCS refueling beverages, Clif Bars, and really loud obnoxious clerk (she loves it when cyclists post pictures of her store):

• CommentAuthormfutch

I know that trading post. Proctor valley road is a good dirt road out there that connects Jamul and Otay lakes, avoiding much of the 94.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

mfutch:I know that trading post. Proctor valley road is a good dirt road out there that connects Jamul and Otay lakes, avoiding much of the 94.

That's a cool route. Embarrassingly, I was on the freeway part of the 94 coming out of Spring Valley toward home. Head down, in the drops, oblivious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2011

Maybe this belongs in the racing thread, but give it up for Lisi, who finished 3rd in last night's Bikes del Pueblo Tacocat alleycat! It was a lot of fun, so stoked she got me out there at the last minute and she won some loot from Mission Hills Cyclery.
    Also, Hans made a valiant attempt at getting the prize for last-- he claimed he stopped for a beverage but we knew he had his eyes on the prize.

Thom B. and I did a variation on Cecil's route. From SPark, headed east on Market, to Imperial Ave., to Lemon Grove Ave; out to Spring Valley where we hit Campo Road; to Lyon's Valley Road. We did not make it all the way to the Trading Post - turned around at the Skyline Truck Trail. Our return route was through National City. Good ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2011

I took the Sprinter from Escondido to Oceanside then rode back along San Luis Rey River and old 395. What a perfect day for a ride! Hope everyone got to be outside to enjoy it.
    E and I did a tour of San Diego yesterday - from SPark to Normal Heights, to Balboa Park, then down the hill to Little Italy for Yogurtland. We made our way through the Gaslamp and back up the hill before pedaling over to the Linkery to meet friends and watch the end of the Chargers game. All told, just under 18 miles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2012

While resting and getting a drink at the Soledad Cross today, a rider in regular street clothes and on a beach cruiser came up behind me: Being a "roadie silk route", beach cruisers are definitely not the rule up here. So I gave the rider, who didn't even bother to stop for a breather and a drink, a quick thumbs up and shouted "Good going!" (or something to that effect) in passing.

I hope she didn't mind the compliment too much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012

Cecil, sd_mike and I took advantage of our respective MLK Day off and rode r/t Coronado.

Two flats; had a good time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012

Sigurd:Cecil, sd_mike and I took advantage of our respective MLK Day off and rode r/t Coronado.

Two flats; had a good time!

Thanks for the ride. We need to come up to your turf and get some hills.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012

I had a great time too, despite my wrists hurting at times.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012

Today I rode around in Azalea/Manzinia Canyon neighborhood running errands. First time in the area and if you're familiar with the routes, you can avoid some busy streets and get almost a country feel as the roads are so convoluted, only locals drive on them. Result: VERY quiet streets! and it is one of view places in the city where I don't have to listen to the annoying hum of cars from either a freeway or a busy street. Very residential as well and many beautiful homes. Worth checking out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012

Sam:Today I rode around in Azalea/Manzinia Canyon neighborhood running errands. Worth checking out!
    Manzanita Canyon looks quite passable by bicycle - I should check it out!
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2012

Lisi and I rode to Carlsbad and back yesterday. I had a meeting with Bryan Jones , Deputy Director of Transportation in Carlsbad, and Lisi wanted to come along for the ride. The ride was absolutely perfect (and if Lisi's Strava stats are all messed up - blame me as I dragged her pace down into the gutter). The conversation with Bryan was also one of the best I've had in a long time: a 30,000 foot philosophical discussion on transportation and civil engineering. I could sit around and babble about/listen to this topic all day.

The highlight had to definitely be when we watched and nerded over this video:

• CommentAuthorSam

Today: OB Coop run with Cecil. Excellent company, as always.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2012 edited

Sam:Today: OB Coop run with Cecil. Excellent company, as always.
    Show us the Strava or it didn't happen!
    :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorSam

Sigurd:

Argh!

Cecil? Help, please?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2012

Sam:
    Sigurd:

Argh!

Cecil? Help, please?

Sorry, I only use Strava with my Garmin-- basically spandex rides. I have the google maps track, but I think your testimony is unimpeachable on its own.
    Plus you got the tag on the way back through the hood...
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2012

Sigurd:
    Sam:Today I rode around in Azalea/Manzinia Canyon neighborhood running errands. Worth checking out!
    Manzanita Canyon looks quite passable by bicycle - I should check it out!
    Funny you should mention this. This is where most of the Urban Underground rides start. Very doable. We've ridden it with everything including a 700c fixie and a 3spd beach cruiser. At the lower end is where some of the best tunnels start!
    • CommentAuthoreaton
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2012

Oceaside bike trail, Sleeping Indian, West Lilac, Champagne, Twin Oaks, SM Blvd, Palomar Airport rd, El Camino Real, home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2012

To OB Peoples' with Sam and on the way back, a long line on 30th Street. The beards and bellies gave away that is was for the Pliny the Younger debut at Hamilton's and not for a look at Campy EPS at Pista Palace.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012

eaton:Oceaside bike trail, Sleeping Indian, West Lilac, Champagne, Twin Oaks, SM Blvd, Palomar Airport rd, El Camino Real, home.

Damn! Eaton, that's some serious climbing...
    I rode the Bayshore Bikeway this weekend. Ran into bikingbill for a nice quick chat (fun!), and got to see the new section of bikeway at L St in Chula Vista. I like it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012

Kathy:
    eaton:Oceaside bike trail, Sleeping Indian, West Lilac, Champagne, Twin Oaks, SM Blvd, Palomar Airport rd, El Camino Real, home.

Damn! Eaton, that's some serious climbing...
    I rode the Bayshore Bikeway this weekend. Ran into bikingbill for a nice quick chat (fun!), and got to see the new section of bikeway at L St in Chula Vista. I like it!

Yeah, I rode out of Bonita with some trike folks and then soloed back. The extended Bayshore bikeway is going to be sweet.

Had to fix a mechanical on Saturday night, but I finally got something that has been nagging me to work correctly and be silent (the chain idler in the middle of the bike).
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012

I forgot to mention that when Jeff Miller was in town, I invited him to go on a hill climb with me (I'm apparently highly predictable) and we did Laurel (or as Jeff called it, defibrillator hill), then up to the Park and down Zoo into Florida Canyon (or as Jeff called it, Minnesota Canyon) and then up B Street to Normal Heights to check out that granddaddy of rivers that is the center of all economic activity in San Diego, the I-8.

Jeff is in amazing shape considering he lives in D.C. and I was panting and puffing the entire time poking along at my typical snail pace.
    • CommentAuthorFitz
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2012

54 miler from Crown Point to Carlsbad and back along the 101 mainly. Best part? La Playa Taco Shop burrito post-ride.
    Trying to emulate Sigurd: 10 Soledads today- all different routes. 3750ft elevation gain. map here
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012

That's a lot of climbing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2012

HippyOnaBike:Trying to emulate Sigurd: 10 Soledads today- all different routes. 3750ft elevation gain. map here

Beast mode.
    • CommentAuthorlisi
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2012

Very impressive, Hippy!!
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012

On Saturday I was supposed to attend a training class at Camino Real and Leucadia Blvd at 10:00. I wanted to leave home at 07:00 to give myself enough time (some of us are just too slow) but ended up leaving about 20 or so minutes later. It was cool and I was feeling tired so I had all sorts of excuses in my head about why I shouldn't go. I managed to not turn back and once I went down the Balboa Ave hill to catch the Rose Canyon bike path (by Santa Fe Rd) I was committed. It was a nice ride and I wasn't even all that slow compared to my usual commute to UCSD but, as luck would have it, google maps had me getting to Solana Beach and then using some 'bike paths' or similar to cross the San Elijo Lagoon marshes. Turns out it is a Reserve and bikes are not allowed on those trails. :(

I panicked and turned back and roamed around the area trying to figure out how to get where I was going, decided I should keep going on the 101 remembering that there was Leucadia Blvd somewhere up north and I could probably just take it east and get to where I was going but not really being too sure about it... so by the time I got to Encinitas Blvd I was sure there was no Leucadia Blvd so I turned back and then tried to look for the street that runs along the northern shore of the San Elijo Lagoon.

I totally messed myself up and basically ended up at VGs at 10:00 cursing myself for not having a smart phone (or either the smarts to figure out the route and or the stamina to keep riding around looking for said route) but having a delicious donut. After that I made my way back, slowly chugging along the same way I had come north (I hadn't done Torrey Pines in forever and it just seemed to be never-ending!).

I was very disappointed I missed my class but it was a beautiful day and the 5hour ride + delicious donut weren't too shabby. :face-monkey:

I now know that the next big street after Encinitas Blvd *was* Leucadia (probably an ugly hill if I recall correctly what bikingill has mentioned) and I was a block away from the street that would have taken me by the northern shore of the Lagoon, all the way to El Camino Real.
    Oh, well.. next time...
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2012

Between jobs again, so I'm leaving in a few minutes to ride up to Carlsbad Pizza Port for a couple pints. Then I'll take the Coaster back to Old Town. I'm hoping for a tailwind along the coast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2012

wpstoll:... I'm leaving in a few minutes to ride up to Carlsbad Pizza Port for a couple pints. I'm hoping for a tailwind along the coast.
    Tailwind going north?!? Ain't gonna happen today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2012

I rode 37 miles non-stop into a relentless headwind for two and a half hours, holding right at the lactate threshhold. That was sure fun!
    Carlsbad Pizza Port has a great new American Style Pale Ale, perfectly hopped.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2012

Yesterday I had to hit FedEx in Carlsbad (cover the the new iPad) so I got to hit one of the better hills here ... El Fuerte.

Check out the grades: http://app.strava.com/rides/5184479
    • CommentAuthordstone
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2012

I did just a tiny little ride down to Bird Rock Coffee, where I went to visit Hippy. I somehow keep having coffee appear in my mug at BRCR without ever recalling where it came from. And my goodness! What incredible coffee! The brisk wind today with the piquant sunlight shafts made the La Jolla bike path remarkably pleasant, and the coffee made it one of the best "feel good" rides I'd had in months. Three cheers for Hippy, his coffee, and me old clunker taking the leisurely pace.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2012

dstone:I did just a tiny little ride down to Bird Rock Coffee, where I went to visit Hippy.
    I knew I should have made a stop at BRCR today!

:face-crying:
    Cecil and I rode to BLAh from S.Park and had a cold one / watched some NCAA basketball. Good times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2012

It was a good place to watch the hail.