Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2010

I've always lived wet places so I've always used thick oils. But it's a lot less rainy & a lot more dusty here, & I take dirt trails for part of my commute, so my chain gets dirty quickly. A co-worker who's since left suggested, I believe, "this purple stuff" as the way to go, but I've forgotten what that is. What makes sense in this climate for low maintenance & long life?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

I used to use the White Lightning lube most of the year. Keeps the chain very clean and fairly dry. However, you do need to use it quite often and especially when the chain gets older, it does not prevent sounds as much as others do.
    In the wet season I switched to Finish Line wet conditions lube. That stuff is super sticky but that also means it attracts dirt more and will lead to the nice chainring tattoos on the leg and/or clothing.
    Recently I bought the first bottle of ProLink and I think I'll stick with that. It is not quite as clean as the White Lightning but better than the Finish Line in terms of dirt. But what really blew me away is how much more quiet the chain has gotten. Noise = friction so I believe it is a great lubricant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Chain-L No. 5.

Ran the last chain to over 10,000 miles (ok a recumbent). Drive train quieter and wins the spin the cranks test.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Chain-L No.5 here, too. Super-quiet and long lasting, but I must say it also gets super-dirty: Have a permanent chainring tattoo on my inside leg - which doesn't bother me much, mind you.

Here's the bottle - no extra credit for guessing where they took the design clues from!

•  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

i love love LOVE this stuff! makes for a very quiet & smooth ride... i am kinda anal about keeping my bike clean, cuause 1, i HATE it when my bike makes noise! even my freewheel is almost completely silent, no clicky junk, so i hear everything... & 2, i ride down some filthy roads on my commute to work. no dirt or anything, so i dont know how it holds up in those conditions, but it sure does the trick for me... pretty cheap too, i think the bottle of "gold" was like 8 bucks or sumthin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2010 edited

Chain-L here. It's thick oil but effective. You have to keep wiping off the outside of the chain to keep the outside of the chain clean but the insides of the chain are well lubricated and you really only have to re-apply every 1000 to 2000 miles. In the past i've always used the lighter weight dry oils but they only worked for a ride or two and the chain wear was excessive. Im now a Chain-L believer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2010

We're Chain-L users too! We warmed it up a bit for ease of use, but any which way it's great stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

I think I shall try that Chain-L stuff too. All I find is positive reviews.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

I've used almost all the chain lubes out there: Rock & Roll, Boeshield, White Lightning, Triflow, even specialty spray stuff (sitcky blue) sold for industrial applications etc...

Chain-L is a winner and the price is reasonable.
    • CommentAuthoryoshi
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2010 edited

I like the Phil Tenacious Oil but I've never tried Chain-L.
    Can anyone provide a comparison?

Also, what do people like for keeping their chain clean (has this been covered elsewhere already)?
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2010

yoshi:Also, what do people like for keeping their chain clean (has this been covered elsewhere already)?

I've been using simple green followed immediately by oiling. I read once on some mailing list about a guy who would use wax that he'd heat up in a waffle pan, put the chain in when the wax was melted, and then pull it out, wipe it off and ride like that.

It seemed way high on the list of ways to permanently scar my body in a way I'd have to explain for the rest of my life so I decided not to try.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Strait hot wax would be a mistake. The property's of good chain oil can't be replaced with simple wax.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

It was the frame builder list. Some on the list were, off the chain, as it were. But a lot of neat stories. Glad I didn't actually try it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy

Love Chain-L No 5 but it would be better if they could actually make it smell like Chanel No 5. Why should my bike have to smell like chain oil? :face-devil-grin:
    You can try mixing in your favorite perfume on the chain lube. Or even better, spray some perfume all over your bike.

I've seen other ladies use the Electra handlebar flowers with a hint of perfume on their beachcruisers.
    • CommentAuthorthom

FYI on the chain waxing question, EcoVelo had an extensive write up on it a while back:

Chain Maintenance for Clean Freaks

I don't think I'll ever try it, but Alan makes it sound like a feasible option.
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG

Just tried some of the Chain-L. Much quieter than green heavy lube I had, even on a super-stretched-out chain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2010

I ran a chain, ok on a recumbent, 10,000 miles with Chain-L and had no cog issues when I replaced the chain.

Chain lubes are like religion and helmet discussions, but in my opinion this is the best chain lube in the world.

Just the "spin the cranks backwards" test (remember I've got 3x the chain length and two additional pulleys on the geek-cycle) shows the difference.

Quiet too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Following everybody's advice I ordered the Chain-L and have used it for about a month now. You have made me a member of the cult. Thanks!
    The stuff is amazing. Definitely took a little more work to clean the chain properly and apply the lube according to the instructions but my drive train has never been more quiet and I have not had to re-lube since. With the stuff I used previously I had to reapply weekly. I ordered some for our bike-share program at work as well. Those bikes sit outside and are in daily use but I don't have as much time for the maintenance as I would like. Now at least the chains will be taken care off for a while at a time.
    Thanks again, everybody for the tip!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Yeah, good stuff. At first people were reluctant to buy Chain-L in the store but now it's the most sold lube we sell.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

The tandem has the last word on chain lube for me. Haven't yet tried Chain-L, but so far Pro Link is the only lube that prevents the drive chain from making complaining noises after 100 miles or so.

Otherwise I use Tri-Flow on road and track and White Lightning on MTB chains.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Give it a try, I guarantee it will be the best lube you have ever used on the tandem. The wife and myself just did a 200 mile loaded off road bike tour and did't even bother to bring lube with us. I knew all along that the Chain-L would hold up. It's pretty much non-existant to have that much trust in a lube until Chain-L came along.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Chain-L lasts at least 500 miles for me.

I scored a bottle for $2 or $3 at the swap meet, even though I still had much of the original.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010

I know he's going to deny it, but I need to stop by to pick up some Chain-L tonight since my husband constantly keeps stealing all my stuff and hoarding it at work.

I cleaned my chain over the weekend with Simple Green and a tooth brush but this morning no lube to be found anywhere. I made it to work okay though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2011

OK, I discovered a negative side effect of Chain-L.

Because the chain now runs so quiet and I don't check it as often as before I totally missed that it was time to change it. So when I did finally replace it yesterday I discovered that it had "stretched" more than a link's length. Enough to grind down my cassette to the point that gears are now slipping and I had to buy a new cassette. Crap!

Note to self: Keep a log of when you replace what and check your chain even when it doesn't make sounds!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Haha, that's funny. Not that you went too long but that it was too quiet. If you ride a lot on one bike I wouldn't go anymore than 6 months without changing out the chain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Yes, I usually change 2-3 times/year.

Used to be that when it got close to the time I could hear it. I'm not talking squeaks or grinding, I never let my chain go that dry. But it does (or rather did) sound different, bet you know what I mean. A distinctive, metallic quality to the usual whir.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2011

Velo Cult:Haha, that's funny. Not that you went too long but that it was too quiet. If you ride a lot on one bike I wouldn't go anymore than 6 months without changing out the chain.

I ran my last chain with ChainL to 10,000 miles without ill effect on the cogs. NOW granted I have 3x the chain length AND the chain is a good distance away from the road ... but that was pretty amazing. I did check 'length' for wear (chains don't stretch, the pins wear down) and changed when it was past spec.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011

Wow. I've got chains with YEARS on them. This waxed chain thing seems to be working on the fixed gears. I'll have to wait another month before I can ride the Medici again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2011

Perhaps I'll give this wax thing a try some day.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2011

I heard from a friend they had trouble shifting with theirs after they did it. I only had it on the Medici one day until I had the wheel issue. But it seems to work on the fixie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012

went to Adams yesterday for some stuff & decided to pick up lube... i am a die hard Rock&Roll Gold fan, but the dude there convinced me to try LILLYLUBE... so far it is amazingly smooth & very good at cleaning. we'll see if it goes the distance, but so far i really like it! even on first impression...
    its green!
    • CommentAuthorIra Kinro
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2012

I use straight wax. I get it in the baking isle of the supermarket. I melt it in a crockpot that I bought at a thrift store for a couple bucks. I've been doing that for a couple years now. I average 10 to 15 miles per day, so that's around 8 to 10 thousand miles without a moment of regret.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2015 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2016

The ShelBroCo Bicycle Chain Cleaning System

http://sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2016 edited

I've been pretty happy with paraffin with the 7 speed drive train. It lasts between 200 and 300 miles and keeps the drive train extremely clean, even if I don't wipe it down all that often. It's effectively dirt repellent.

However, it doesn't really work so well with the 10 speed chain. It lasts maybe 30 miles or so before I start hearing chain friction. I'm not sure why. Maybe my 7 speed chain has more space for wax to get inside the links?

I've tried the Rock-n-roll Gold that PacMUle recommended. I followed the instructions carefully and I wipe it down after every ride. Maybe it's being spoiled by the cleanliness of paraffin but this stuff doesn't really keep the drive train all that clean in my opinion. I get lots of black stuff every ride and gunk on the pulley wheels. It doesn't last all that long either. Maybe 100-150 miles. On top of that, when I lube with it, it's so thin that at least as much ends up on the floor as on the chain.

I think I may finally break down and give Chain-L a chance. At least it should last longer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016

San Diego product. End of story. http://lillylube.com/

Theres more to that story Paul....

The day I met Jason Lilly in Alpine a few years back, he told us all about the crazy 368 mph RC glider he built/flew. the speed was like a drug. He was obsessed, lying to his wife how much $ he was spending on epoxy and parts. Fucking crazy fast. He said if you lost control, in about 4 seconds it would be out of sight, and if it hit a human, it'd cut you like buttah. It sounded impossible so I had to look, sure enough, he's in the blue jacket/goggles.

My friends later on the ride told me of his work at Holland and his anodizing business
    Interesting local for sure....
    So I had to try his lube
    I'm impressed and happy to give him my $.
    He does promos/free samples at local event rides. Say hi.

Jason has created or helped create many great bicycle products.

From Bill Holland Cycles:
    By 1997, Jason Lilly was becoming masterful at annodization techniques and pursued his dream into his own OE supply business for the biggest wheel makers in the bike industry. Years later Jason would release what has become one of the benchmark lubricants in the industry… Lillylube.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016

Paul:San Diego product. End of story. http://lillylube.com/
    So is WD-40... ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2016

Shut Up Legs:Theres more to that story Paul....

The day I met Jason Lilly in Alpine a few years back, he told us all about the crazy 368 mph RC glider he built/flew. the speed was like a drug. He was obsessed, lying to his wife how much $ he was spending on epoxy and parts. Fucking crazy fast. He said if you lost control, in about 4 seconds it would be out of sight, and if it hit a human, it'd cut you like buttah. It sounded impossible so I had to look, sure enough, he's in the blue jacket/goggles.

My friends later on the ride told me of his work at Holland and his anodizing business
    So I had to try his lube

By 1997, Jason Lilly was becoming masterful at annodization techniques and pursued his dream into his own OE supply business for the biggest wheel makers in the bike industry. Years later Jason would release what has become one of the benchmark lubricants in the industry… Lillylube.

Yep. I get it from the source. Also all my nipples and most of my spokes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2016

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2016

This is amazing. I used to fly RC Gliders in the 1980's, but this is extreme.

So cool.

Shut Up Legs:Theres more to that story Paul....

So I had to try his lube

•  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2016

Now in my 9th month of belt drive and I must say I am so glad I no longer have to deal with chains and chain lube anymore. Last weekend I deep cleaned the bike and removed the belt and rear wheel all without gloves. No mess and no black fingers for days.
    And the silent ride is awesome! I highly recommend going belt drive and IGH for a commuter bike.

• CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2018 edited

WD40mtb

Has anyone tried WD40 Bike lubes?
    https://www.wd40bike.com/products/

I like to run a dry lube for MTB (collects less grit) and wet lube for road (stays on longer, especially when wet). I've steered away for the new WD40 Bike product as I was concerned that it would be just their water displacing solvent repackaged and marketed to cyclists; however, it appears this may actually be a real chain lube.

WD40road
    Rock 'n Roll and/or Whitelightning are decent wax based lubes.

On my Recumbent I went 100% clean after replacing the chains and doing a total drivetrain clean. Whitelightning on that.

White Lightning doesn't last very well in dusty conditions (i.e. MTB). I like Squirt (wax emulsion). And it's on deep discount here:

https://blueskycycling.com/collections/all/products/squirt-long-lasting-dry-chain-lube-4oz

I bought several bottles from Blue Sky--the labels are slightly different from the current label, and the bottles seemed older, so I imagine they are clearing out old inventory they got somewhere. But the lube itself looks identical to, and seems to work the same as, the most recent bottle I had.