Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010 edited

I found the pedestrian bridge over I-163 connecting Cardinal Ln. (by SDCS IMC) and Fulton St. (mentioned - I think - by VPStoll in another thread) by happenstance: This bridge is perfect for when I need to go to the "Birdland" area, and was thinking we should create a thread dedicated to pedestrian bridges crossing freeways or any major arteries in San Diego. I certainly would like to know where they all are!

So, I can think of the following pedestrian bridges in San Diego crossing freeways and other major arteries:

* Upas St. bridge (over I-163 in Hillcrest)
    * Cardinal Ln. to Fulton St (over I-163 in Linda Vista)
    * Presidents' Way bridge to Balboa Stadium (over I-5 near Downtown)
    * Monroe Ave. bridge (over I-15 in Kensington)
    * Vermont St. bridge (over Washington in Hillcrest)
    * Mentioned by VPStoll (not sure where exactly it is), over I-805: "at the west end of Ronson Rd., comes out near a park in back of Madison High School"

Sort of in the same vein is the Voigt Dr. bridge over I-5 at UCSD - although it is not ped only -- it is also for cars -- but is pretty lightly traveled by motorists.

So, everybody - which pedestrian bridges crossing freeways (or other major arteries) did I miss - let's get a complete list here, OK?
    wpstoll: There is one over the 805 at the west end of Ronson Rd., comes out near a park in back of Madison High School, kind of a tweaky neighborhood.There is another connecting eastern Linda Vista (also not the best area after dark) with Birdland near the City Schools offices.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010

It's not the easiest bridge to cross, but there's a crossing at Upas over the 163. You have to climb a very steep climb on either side, but if you don't feel like crossing Prado bridge or Robinson, it works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

There's the Antiem/Batista <-> Othello bridge over I805 in the Clairemont/Kearny Mesa area, just a little south of Balboa. It's a lot nicer than trying to cross I805 on Balboa.

http://goo.gl/maps/aX6pg

The Voigt bridge at UCSD can actually have a lot of traffic depending upon time of day. There's a stop sign on the west end of it that keeps traffic speeds on the bridge kind of low, which helps.
    • CommentAuthormfutch

It's not technically a pedestrian bridge, but I like crossing University using the bridge on Georgia. The Spruce street suspension bridge near 1st ave crosses a canyon not a freeway, but still cool nonetheless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

I forgot about the bike path bridge northbound Fairmount Ave. crossing the offramp connecting Fairmount north to I-8 east and west. I also forgot about the Landis St. bridge over I-15 just to the east of the Copley YMCA in City Hghts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy

Not over a freeway, but parallel - the Dave Kreitzer Lake Hodges Bicycle and Pedestrian Bridge.
    Also not bike/ped only, but Bush Street/Civic Center in Oceanside is an awesome crossing of the 5 without having to deal with ramps (and it has sharrows!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2010 edited

I fount two more pedestrian bridges today. Neither of them that useful for bicyclists, mind you, but both are located in areas not particularly conducive to cycling, so they may offer an opportunity for a bicyclist to get off the street:

UCSD/LJ Village;
    LJ Pkwy/LJ Shores.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2010

Not a pedestrian or bike only, but definitely a better option to cross the 805 from UTC to Miramar Rd.

Eastgate Mall Rd.
    • CommentAuthorkyle

Eastgate Mall is an excellent alternative to La Jolla Village/Miramar! I always get the willies going westbound over the 805 though. You have to ride very close to a low guardrail over a canyon... And I'm a bit afraid of heights :face-plain:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

gavilan:Not a pedestrian or bike only, but definitely a better option to cross the 805 from UTC to Miramar Rd. Eastgate Mall
    Good one!

Reminds me that there are three ped bridges in the Genessee - LJ Village area: None very useful for cyclists - they seem to serve the dubious purpose of getting non-motorists off the street to allow even more aggressive road patterns and higher speeds than what would otherwise be possible: One of the most bike-hostile areas of this city.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

i dont know if this counts, but the bridge off Fairmount av, heading north, makes it so you dont have to cross 2 lanes to stay on fairmount av, instead you cruise right over the whole dumb thing... just too bad they dont have one for the south bound side spit... that one scares me to death every night!
    • CommentAuthorslobiker
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2010 edited

Awhile back t.e.d. made the very excellent suggestion of using the Pershing St. pedestrian bridge that connects Balboa Stadium with the President's Way east parking lot. I use that bridge coming home... not so much going to work as north-bound 16th St. gets pretty steep getting there. But going the opposite way is a breeze!! And you can always stop for a cold one at the Jewel Box (kidding: that bar looks like a good place to get murdered).

Thanks, t.e.d.!!!

PS: oh yeah... the pedestrian bridge takes you over the 5.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010

Ahhh, the Box... Many fond memories, and many more that I can't remember. Actually a fine place to stop. Like any dive, it has its locals, and many are colorful, but like any true dive, just gotta keep your wits about you and roll with it.

But back on topic, that bridge is great. It's only been locked once, no reason why...
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

Does the Jewel Box still have a shuffleboard table? I remember hanging out there before and after shows at Carpenter's Hall, saw some great bands there back in the day, including Camper Van Beethoven and Corrosion of Conformity.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Haven't been in there in a year or so, but yeah, it's a "special" table, held up by coasters and damaged by someone driving through the wall about 4 years ago... but still there.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2010

I remember reading about the accident.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2010 edited

Forgot about this one, too - Palm St. bridge over I-5.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2010

OOOOooooOOO! found another bridge... kinda hard to explain where it is though, so here it goes...

if you ride through Balboa from the fountain towards suicide bridge, then take your first right after the bridge... after a while the park ends & there are some houses... but the last jogger path/side walk goes down to some really steep switckbacks & then all of the sudden, BOOM! ped bridge over the 163! if you follow the path it drops you at the beginning of Upas st. there is a gate at the end so ya gotta get off & walk around it for a sec, but it was a fun lil discovery! very scenic route through the park when your bored...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=El+Prado&daddr=32.7314782,-117.147174+to:32.73442,-117.158334+to:Unknown+road+to:Park+Blvd&geocode=FVZx8wEd13kE-Q%3BFVZx8wEd2nkE-SktRChRllTZgDFaAKUfQYdchA%3BFdR88wEdQk4E-SlZQdLyuFTZgDGU_rrj49gM1w%3BFbuW8wEdDlME-Q%3BFWNx8wEdUX0E-Q&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=1&mrsp=4&sz=16&via=1,2&dirflg=b&sll=32.736155,-117.149148&sspn=0.012833,0.019119&ie=UTF8&ll=32.736552,-117.152109&spn=0.012833,0.019119&z=16&lci=bike
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

I think that's the third mention of that bridge in this thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

oops... my bad... i have no idea what its called... just stumbled on it & figured i'd share... sorry dudes & dudettes :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

PacMUle:oops... my bad... i have no idea what its called... just stumbled on it & figured i'd share... sorry dudes & dudettes :face-devil-grin:

No worries man. It's FAR better to get a couple harmless repeats than miss out on a good ped bridge.
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010 edited

Njord Noatun:Forgot about this one, too - W. Palm St. bridge over I-5.
    I just found that one this evening. Kinda fun going down the corkscrew ramp while trying to read all of the graffiti and dodge sleeping bags!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010

Here's one over I-5 near Chicano Park / Sherman Hghts / Barrio Logan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

Interesting. Looks like a stair case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

billd:Looks like a stair case.
    It does!
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

billd:Interesting. Looks like a stair case.

That's something I really love about riding the bike. You have the option to get off and head up some stairs, or through a doorway, or through a drainage ditch... The possibilities are endless! SO much more fun than a car in that respect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010

Yeah, we can do that. Wheelchair people are out of luck though.

Next bike, I'm switching to pedals that support walkable shoes.
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2010

t.e.d:
    billd:Interesting. Looks like a stair case.

That's something I really love about riding the bike. You have the option to get off and head up some stairs, or through a doorway, or through a drainage ditch... The possibilities are endless! SO much more fun than a car in that respect.

I don't think I could live in a city without the freedom afforded by getting around on bike!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2011 edited

Forgot about this one @ Torrey Pines Rd. & LJ Shores - not sure how useful it would be cyclists, though. (Not over a freeway, either - but over a plenty busy street!).
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2011

Wow... I am around that area pretty often and it took me a while to figure out what bridge that was.

Good thread!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011

Loving the San Diego High School-President's Way Bridge. Thanks Ted.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011

Cecil:Loving the San Diego High School-President's Way Bridge. Thanks Ted.

For sure. Cuts out SO much of B st and Park. Plus, the view of the sunrise and skyline can't be beat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2011 edited

Can't remember if this has been mentioned before, but there is a ped bridge over I-5 between Chicano Park in Barrio Logan and Logan Hghts.

Photobucket

I would highly recommend not riding across this bridge as I have never seen this much broken glass on any public roadway yet: Not necessarily an ideal place to be stranded fixing a flat or with a busted tire or two.

On a somewhat related note, the Park Blvd. bridge over Harbor Dr. is now open!
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2011

Hoofed it over the Park ped bridge last night. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me, not to have ramps, but there is an elevator at one end and a parking garage at the other, so if you don't want to cyclocross it up and down each end, you can still cross. Looks pretty nice all lit up at night, but I still don't think it was worth the millions of dollars it cost.
    • CommentAuthorJim
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2011 edited

There is one crossing I-8 in El Cajon. I believe it is on Grape Street.

Rode by here today and the pedestrian bridge is gone. In it's place is one of those million dollars-a-foot wall along the freeway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2012

- Landis St bridge crossing I-15, two blocks south of University Ave. It branches out of the YMCA park on the west side and pops up just south of Landis St on the east side. :o)