Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010 edited

I start promoting this ride early to give people time to gather their clothes up. Get excited! Please help promote too. December 11th, 2010.

Here's photos from last year's tweed ride for ideas.

• CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010

Oooh... fun! I hope I am around for this. :)
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Really wanted to do this last year. Really looking forward to it this year.
    • CommentAuthorthom

Smashing Guv'nor! I have a new old tweed jacket I can debut this year.
    Can't wait.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev

Fingers crossed for weather as fabulous & appropriate as last year's!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

Last year's ride was such a jolly good time, and with the rare foggy mist/drizzle in the air, it couldn't have been better. This is definitely a "don't miss" event. See you then, I have some preparations in mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

• CommentAuthorSDAirBrush

2010 or 2011?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

2010. Good call. I just fixed it.
    • CommentAuthorjay

I'm pretty deeply committed at this point to seersucker. Any thoughts of a seersucker ride? Obvs it would have to be in the May-August time frame. Maybe the morning of the Derby?

Just Sayin'.

Oh, that's a different thread.
    • CommentAuthorAron0104
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010

Looking forward to it. Hopefully, the knee surgery will go off without a hitch and I'll be able to participate. If not, i'll be content cheering everyone on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Aron0104:Looking forward to it. Hopefully, the knee surgery will go off without a hitch and I'll be able to participate. If not, i'll be content cheering everyone on.

This time we'll be ending it with a party so there will be place even for an injured chap to participate.
    • CommentAuthorSam

Having missed the ride last year and feeling awful about it, I can't wait to make it this year. Hope to see lotso people!
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

GOING!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins

I'm ready. I found some 35-599 26" tyres for my '54 Columbia American 3-speed. I'm going to tempt fate by saying that I have no CX race to referee on December 11! The USAC officials meeting for 2011 race assignments is the week before. I am not going to miss the Tweed Ride again!
    • CommentAuthorSam

I've been looking for ideas on what to wear with the idea that I could wear the outfit during the rest of the year too. I love the photos of the London Tweed Run. Love!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev

I do. I don't quite pair it all up in one outfit. I deconstruct the outfit so I look less. . . tweedy. But it's doable.
    • CommentAuthorthom

To revisit the question from last year's thread: a piece of *actual tweed* clothing is not a strict requirement, but rather a general style guideline. Anything in the dressy/vintage/classic/stylish genre is fine. Most of my getup last year was from my normal wardrobe, augmented by a couple of new/old pieces (which have since become part of the semi-regular rotation).
    •  
      CommentAuthorbernasconi

This looks awesome. Need to find a thrift store with some classic tweed wear.
    • CommentAuthorzonal
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010

Going!

On Wednesdays at Salvation Army stores, clothing is 50% off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010

Now that I am back in town I need to start searching for my clothes. Im shooting for clothes that I can wear at least once a week while cycling.
    •  
      CommentAuthortroppmann
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010

flying in from chicago for this...yep
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010

I have a nice Pendleton tweed jacket with pleats in back. Perfect except I broke one of the buttons, and it's in Wisconsin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010

Less than a month away. If you have not already started gathering clothes then this is the time to start.
    So where are some good places to search for Tweed Ride duds? I don't have a clue.
    • CommentAuthorthom
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010

If you look half as stylish as you did on the Momentum ride, you'll be fine.:face-smile:

If you want to go cheap, Anne and I found most of our stuff last year at Thrift Trader in North Park. But as with all thrift stores, it's hit-or-miss, we got very lucky.

For cycling caps, local company Walz Caps has some nice tweedy cycling cap styles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010

I need to dress up like one of these:

• CommentAuthorDOC
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010

Last years' Tweed Ride was Great looking forward to Dec 11th ...I found a very cool Tweed Jacket at The Goodwill on Rosecrans in Point Loma and it only cost me $7.00 It is great condition. I also found all wool trousers from Brooks Brothers and they had many other jackets, shirts, ties, etc. Great place to find vintage threads. ENJOY :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010

It's down to the wire. A week and a half to go. Do you have your clothes ready? Remember, it's not all about wearing wool. Dressing fancy is the goal here.

The ride will begin at the shop and end at The Station next door to the shop.

Please help spread the word if you can.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Here is the Facebook event page for the event. Please indicate that you are going. Also please post the link to the rest of your friends to spread the word.
    • CommentAuthorHillbilly

Just a heads up - I know the ride is scheduled from 2-5 pm but there are two great events happening after the ride as well:

1. Holiday Night on Adams - Adams Ave. - 5-10pm
    2. Ray at Night - Ray St. - 7-10pm

Since they don't start until after the ride we won't necessarily be able to take the route through the events but they might be awesome to check out while riding in tweed after we are finished. If you don't have plans for Saturday night - hang out in the neighborhoods and check out one or both of the events!
    • CommentAuthorzonal
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010 edited

(Laptop is once again functional thanks to the Geek Squad, ahh.)

Printed 20 full-page, 10 two-to-a-page, and 10 four-to-a-page color Tweed Ride fliers for a total of 80 on 40 pages yesterday thanks once again to locally owned and eco-friendly OfficeXpress Green at 1281 University Avenue in Hillcrest who print color copies for $0.50/page.
    They have a page slicer too.
    If anyone would like to join Maria and I in fliering town-to-town by bicycle for SDCBC and the Tweed Ride respectively in the next few days, hit us up.

Came across some convo in preparation for last year's Tweed Ride in the Local Events thread beginning exactly halfway down page 2 with Protorio's large photo in his Nov 8th 2009 post.

Found and bookmarked this kickass San Diego Thrift Store Directory which is separated by town, which I've posted to the Tweed Ride's Facebook page as well:
    http://www.bargainlink.com/thrift-stores.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010

That's great. Thanks for the work you are putting into this. I can cover your printing costs.
    • CommentAuthoryoshi

Great link - what a resource!
    • CommentAuthorHillbilly

yoshi:Great link - what a resource!

Totally! I found that link when I first moved here and have visited most of the stores mentioned...I <3 thrifting :face-smile:

Good call with posting that Stace!
    • CommentAuthoryoshi
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010 edited

In preparation for the tweed ride I bought some dress pants at a thrift store in Sacramento last weekend when I was visiting my parents and my mom and I made some sweet knickers for 3 whole bucks (plus the cost of thread).
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010

I was going to re-use much of my tweed ride stuff from the last ride..however, in preps for a non-mandatory holiday party....I've found my self with a classic look that I'd like to wear on the ride. But, it contains no tweed, at all. Wool slacks, classic appearance, but, no tweed. Would this be good?
    • CommentAuthorthom

Tweed is a state of mind. Transcend the physical tweed and you will achieve tweedvana.

In other words, yes that would be good.
    :face-smile:
    • CommentAuthorAron0104

Very excited. I got the green light from the doc regarding my knee. I've been compiling all of my clothing in anticipation.

I just checked the extended forecast and it looks like we will be having nice weather. I hope it stays that way (fingers crossed).
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010

Hope it doesn't get too warm! High on Saturday will likely be about 68F. That should be perfect. Jolie and I are going to do a morning track workout. We'll have the tandem on the car and drive it over between 1 & 2.
    • CommentAuthorzonal

Thanks, Yoshi and Hillbilly!

Velo Cult:That's great. Thanks for the work you are putting into this. I can cover your printing costs.

Anytime, and sweeeeeet.

thom:Tweed is a state of mind. Transcend the physical tweed and you will achieve tweedvana.

Ha! Perhaps someone has dabbled in a bit of a Hobbit's pipe tweed.
    "Twerrific." - from 'Men in Tights'
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010 edited

Latest word, Citibeat and Union Tribune are doing stories on the ride. Photos and description. It's going to be HUGE this year!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

I just checked the Facebook Events Page and it's looking really good. This may very well be absolutely massive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

The people dressing up really good who also have rad and or appropriate bikes please show up a little early. We have an idea for a great video and of course we'll be photographing people with their bikes too.
    • CommentAuthorthom

Velo Cult:The people dressing up really good who also have rad and or appropriate bikes please show up a little early.

So more like 1:00 or 1:30?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

1pm would be good. We'll have beer, coffee and good conversation to keep you entertained in that time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2010

Are we planning to stay together or break up into different groups? If we let it break up into different groups we better get a set a route plan down now.

If we stay together we need cell phone contact so that the back chaperone can tell the leader stop to allow the group to bunch up again. I think the slowest chaperone on slowest bike should be the leader and that person should wear something like a red scarf. At the beginning of the ride I can tell the group that nobody should pass this person.

I think this ride will be 100 people if not a handful more. I have never seen that many people say they would attend a ride in SD on Facebook before. If 10 people on Facebook say they will do a ride it ends up being about 40 if I had to guess numbers. I know Erin and her husband are bring their two kids and several other people will do the same with small groups of friends. It can grow fast I think.
    • CommentAuthorHillbilly

Velo Cult:Are we planning to stay together or break up into different groups? If we let it break up into different groups we better get a set a route plan down now.

If we stay together we need cell phone contact so that the back chaperone can tell the leader stop to allow the group to bunch up again. I think the slowest chaperone on slowest bike should be the leader and that person should wear something like a red scarf. At the beginning of the ride I can tell the group that nobody should pass this person.

I think this ride will be 100 people if not a handful more. I have never seen that many people say they would attend a ride in SD on Facebook before. If 10 people on Facebook say they will do a ride it ends up being about 40 if I had to guess numbers. I know Erin and her husband are bring their two kids and several other people will do the same with small groups of friends. It can grow fast I think.

I vote for keeping it all together in 1 group...I feel like it seems to make a bigger impression when there is a huge group of cyclists. But that's just one opinion :)
    • CommentAuthorSam

FYI: The Cabrillo Bridge is closed to vehicular traffic on the 11th. Not sure what the occasion is or if the route will go thataway.

And I like having one humongous group too.