Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010

Hobbies, interests, pastimes... Stuff that inspires you and makes you happy that doesn't have pedals or handlebars....

This is what I do in my spare time. Eye of the Hawk

It's me and my friend Clif, who's been on rides and many of you have met.
    • CommentAuthorSam

I never pursued my artistic inclinations (playing guitar and piano or cartooning) but plan on doing so, soon. So I am always envious of those who did do something with their talent.

Besides bettering the world, I love cooking. What started out as a necessity has grown into a full blown passion. My favorite cooking is my own since I know how to make things the way I like it.

My other passion is reading. I'm one of those people who will scrutinize a cereal box if I have nothing else to read. I almost always carry a book with me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

I cook. I read. And I've been in the video game world for most of the last 30 years. Yeah that long.
    • CommentAuthorslobiker
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010 edited

bëany:I never pursued my artistic inclinations (playing guitar and piano or cartooning) but plan on doing so, soon. ...

Ahem, madam. I both play guitar AND cartoon. Ain't I swell??!!!

Here's how I picture my ugly ol' self riding from the gig on my bike:

I want to add: lately I've been playing Hawaiian guitar. It's pretty cornball but I like it. Next Tues night, 9:00 to midnight, come to Bar Pink on 30th St if you want to enjoy some Hawaiian guitar music. Just the slo-guy, his lap steel guitar, and his mp3 player.

Here's the gig site (in my imagination):

And here's my favorite bar (whereever that may be):

• CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010 edited

bëany:I never pursued my artistic inclinations (playing guitar and piano or cartooning) but plan on doing so, soon. So I am always envious of those who did do something with their talent.

Besides bettering the world, I love cooking. What started out as a necessity has grown into a full blown passion. My favorite cooking is my own since I know how to make things the way I like it.

My other passion is reading. I'm one of those people who will scrutinize a cereal box if I have nothing else to read. I almost always carry a book with me.

I'm in the same boat... kind of... I am envious of those who made it. I've been in and out of bands for 10 years and never once did I get past LA for shows. It really makes me sick to see the money and time wasted on the Justin Biebers of the world. Can't wait to watch the big Record Companies choke on their own fat, stagnant ways and the internet to be open to distribute your music freely to the world. I've long held the belief that when musicians stop being paid for making music, the only ones left will be the ones who aren't in it for the money.

I also like to read.
    • CommentAuthorSam

slobiker:
    Ahem, madam. I both play guitar AND cartoon. Ain't I swell??!!!

Swell? You're a superstar! And talented too!

I want to add: lately I've been playing Hawaiian guitar. It's pretty cornball but I like it. Next Tues night, 9:00 to midnight, come to Bar Pink on 30th St if you want to enjoy some Hawaiian guitar music. Just the slo-guy, his lap steel guitar, and his mp3 player.

If I'm good about accomplishing what I want to on Tuesday, I'll make the trip over as a reward and maybe bring my caboose too. Maybe the taco crew would be interested in ending their ride at Bar Pink?
    • CommentAuthorthom
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010

I read a lot. I'm a historian by profession and by passion. I write a lot of history and some "other". I cook some. I'm interested in but not very talented at graphic design, photography, and printmaking. I'd really like to learn Portuguese, and I've always wanted to learn how to fence (with swords, not with posts and wire--I've already done that). I used to ride/own horses, and I'd sure like to again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev

Beside from the ever popular - cooking - I've gotten a real passion for baking bread. I started it at first because I couldn't get good, hearty, interesting bread here like I got in the UK. So I tried to emulate to the best of my ability. Slowly but surely I got pretty good at it. I love giving away the extra loaf so people can see that bread doesn't just have to be either Wonder Bread or roof-of-the-mouth-tearing, hard-crust having to be good.

Then there is always riding my horse. Or at the present moment slogging around in 6" of mud, sliding my pickup around desperately trying not to get stuck (yes, I said pickup as in truck - the diesel consuming, ozone layer killing machine. You got a better way of hauling 4,200lbs?)

Gardening. Never enough time in the week for all the chores that need doing in the garden.

And, like Beany, reading. I'm a frequent reader of the cereal box during breakfast and the shampoo bottle in the shower.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

I like riding bikes, meeting people, reading, writing and traveling. I have an IPA beer hobby. I'm also trying to learn how to play the shinobue. That's not going well.
    • CommentAuthorSam

Bev:Beside from the ever popular - cooking - I've gotten a real passion for baking bread. I started it at first because I couldn't get good, hearty, interesting bread here like I got in the UK. So I tried to emulate to the best of my ability. Slowly but surely I got pretty good at it. I love giving away the extra loaf so people can see that bread doesn't just have to be either Wonder Bread or roof-of-the-mouth-tearing, hard-crust having to be good.

Bev makes the most amazing bread in the world. AMAZING! I've never been more inspired to bake.

And for all my car-freeness and automobiles are the spawn of satan talk, I love driving large pickup trucks on the rare occasions I do drive.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

William.: I have an IPA beer hobby.

Oh yeah, me too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

I consider myself lucky to get paid for exercising one of my hobbies: science. Add to that my bike commute along the pacific and you have one happy geek.

Outside of that I love reading (science fiction and fantasy, mainly). I wish I had more time for scuba-diving but work and family are very demanding. I also very much like fixing things. And if it isn't broken, just taking it apart and putting it back together will do.

My main hobby, though, is my girls. They are still young enough so that I am the best man in the world and I plan to take full advantage of that before they turn teenagers and would rather want me about 3-4 solar systems away.

• CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010 edited

I read. A lot.

I collect bicycles, vinyl phonograph records, autographed books, military firearms, red wines, and Paisley shirts.

I learn languages readily and enjoy trying them out on native speakers. English is my favorite language. I'm fascinated by its rich history and literature. I find it interesting that English was not born in the British Isles, but was brought there by invaders.

I enjoy playing and singing Early Music, the greatest hits of the 16th century and before. I have a harpsichord and a choir of recorders. I also have my grandfather's century old Weber upright grand piano for more modern music.

(Cantus: What is the shape of the Earth?
    Chorus: Flat.
    Cantus: What happens when you get to the edge?
    Chorus: You fall off.)

I love hiking in the desert and stargazing at night under the dark sky.

I love wilderness and wild lands. I am desolately saddened by the destruction of the Coastal Sage Scrub habitat in Southern California.

I like birds, except crows. My yard is planted to attract birds and butterflies. Scrub jays come in through my kitchen window to get peanuts. I've trained a couple of them to take peanuts from my hands. Sometimes they try to take a finger!

I like to drink beer.

I only mentioned bicycles once!
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

batmick, one of my joys is my kid too. I'll tell you what, if you stay engaged, and non lecturing and try hard to domistique things they like, they'll still want you around.. Kind of... mine had a concert that focused on movie themes.. so I did up a full size poster dubbed "the flute sisters", based off the blues brothers....which included me pulling over a cop car in order to get the correct photo graph.. I'm not sure what was cooler, being the hero for making the poster, or the look on the cops face when I blocked him in.... anyway, I agree, its a fun thing having a kid, like discovering the world fresh again.

my biggest problem in life is that there are so many cool things to do, and like the song says "I'm a million different people from one day to the next"... my idea of what I want to do and what is fun changes nearly weekly, sometimes daily..
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

t.e.d:
    William.: I have an IPA beer hobby.

Oh yeah, me too.

I think we all need to get together and have an IPA party somewhere. Each of us bring a resonable quantity of IPA's (coordinated of course, to eliminate overlap), and share our love of all things hoppy.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

How about a responsible ride from Hamiltons in SP to Toronado in NP to Blind Lady in CH. All are purveyors of fine ales.

Unless someone with a house wants to have a bike-in beer fest...?
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

Smashing idea! Tyler Kraus (bike racer) has been brewing some tasty IPAs lately. Ballast Point just got another award for an India Pale Lager. I also like Port Brewing's Swami's IPA, Stone, and Racer 5.

I recently drank a bottle of Rogue Kells Irish Lager that I loved!
    I live in S. Park, right around the corner from VC (and Hamilton's for that matter). I'd be happy to host a ride-in beer fest sometime in November. The 14th?
    • CommentAuthorkyle

I also love the hops. I'm about to go for a late lunch bike ride over to the Alesmith brewery to fill a growler of their IPA. The best around, IMO.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

I'm a bit tossed between drinking at a pub, and someone's place. There are big plusses and minuses to each. I like a pub because..it's super social and a lot of people can see us ride up, and around. The pub idea is good also, because there are a variety of IPA's. The down side, is, we can't bring some of our perhaps "selected secrets" that maybe no one else has tried. Someone's house is great, but I'm always fearful that someone might get rowdy. Either is fine, leaning towards a location we can bring in our own, but either is fine. If we do a non pub type of deal, it would be good if we did this: List what we are bringing, bring enough to share, and not bring what someone else is bringing.. the idea that we get a big variety.. All that rambling done; I'm good with what ever.

Edit: having seen Chris' post: I also suggest that if someone host it at thier house, they be required to NOT buy a single IPA at all!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips

Fly a kite something like this:face-devil-grin: I flew big power kites like these to get my upper body workout.

warning: start with a really small kite then work your way up.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

I'm down for whatever. I've got a couple favorites that I'll bring, and there's a fantastic bottle selection over at Grant's Market for the true connoisseur. The 14th should work for me.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

markphilips:warning: don't try this at home.

It's like people really know me sometimes and my innocent-ish idea that I can do stuff...that the laws of expereince and gravity say I shouldn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2010

wow! sooooo glad i read this! t.e.d you music is great! i'v listened to it the whole time i read & wrote this...

i am also a musician... i mostly work with various electronics, drum machines & synths mostly, but i also play guitar & bass & a couple other random things... you can listen here if you like... http://www.myspace.com/nightmarecomplex all the artwork & music there is 100% me & me alone!

as well as music & art, i LOVE to travel! i have been just about everywhere in the country traveling out of a back pack.... Kerouac style... & i would like to continue to do so all over the world eventually!

i have a great many passions, but those are the most consuming... & i dont like to be long winded about myself.... but i do want to mention how sweet of a thread this is! it is really cool to learn a lil bit more about you folks besides or common bike-nerdness:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorjacobk
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2010

Cool thread, interesting to see how much common non-bicycle ground there is here.

On the beer front, anymore, I almost exclusively drink IPAs except for the odd stout or sour ale. The ride sounds like a good time, Hamilton's and Blind Lady always have a great selection. Small Bar in university heights is pretty good too, it's cool if you're there in the evening before they close up the fenced in outdoor patio area for the night.

Another musician here too, grew up playing in punk bands but after high school got into a little bit of everything. My last band was a bluegrass/old timey project kind of along the lines of OCMS and the Avett Brothers, but my number one favorite influence is probably Tom Waits. I play mainly guitar and mandolin; also a little bit of accordion, diatonic/chromatic harmonicas, melodica, banjo, and whatever else I can mess around with.

My girlfriend and I go to a lot of shows, usually at the Casbah. I love having so much great live music nearby.

We should have an sdbikecommuter combo IPAfest + jam session sometime!
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2010 edited

I graduated to IPAs a few months ago and I'm really surprised how I absolutely love them. We make beer at home and have been increasing the bitterness unit with every batch and I'm surprised at the fact that I love the bitterness. I would love to do a bike and beer ride with you all.

I don't think I've ever been to a party where a fight of any sort broke out. Even the cannot-talk-about-it-here-for-fear-of-who-reads-it-parties - no issues whatsoever.

And I love jam sessions. Esp. listening to a good one.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010

I also like listening to local bands live. SD Bike commuter did a ride out to see Rachel B play once ~ it was pretty awesome. Live is best, second place is vinyl.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010 edited

I am a born tinker-er and very curious about how things work. My line of work feeds that curiosity and challenge. And I do take my bikes apart to swap parts at least twice a year. I read a lot but S L O W L Y...from meditation, yoga, alternative/eco lifestyles to nutrition, sports massage, touch chiropractic. I practice what I read to enhance my main ride and two-cylinder engine (a.k.a Body). Since I like to read slow, I use audio cds and watch a lot of instructional videos (Thanks to Youtube). I do fly power-kites for the workout and to experience the raw power of wind (hit Page-UP to see the video-clip)

On the musical end, I play a harmonium, djembe, guitar, and a flamenco cajon "box" drum. I played other hand-percussion instruments in drum circles and small house-jam session nothing professional, it's all for fun! Occasionally, I would tour with a small band to yoga studios, birthday parties, weekend retreats and workshops and play percussion to get-a-groove going....