Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2010 edited

This thread to identify and rank the steepest streets in the City of San Diego. Please note that due to the inherent inaccuracies in consumer grade GPS units the below data are estimates only: The shorter the hill, the more inaccurate the numbers are. The "Steepest Hill" table which contains many short hills is therefore less accurate than the "Notable Hill" sections which contains longer sections.

Steepest Hills in San Diego (@lowest cross street), ranked by % grade: (name): (grade). (delta elevation / length)

The Top Surveyed (typically, single-block):

Torrance (@Keating): 28% (85'/300'). Best of luck climbing this one without carabiners, crampons and rope!
    Bandini (@San Diego Ave.): 25% (57'/229')
    Lucinda St. (@Harbor View Pl.): 24% (102'/426')
    B St. (@20th): 24% (48'/197')
    Loring (@Foothill): 21% (75'/355')
    Country Club Dr. (@ Mar): 19% (80'/414')
    Hill (@Cornish): 18% (58'/315')
    Neale (@Keating): 18% (57'/315) (Steepest section: 20%)
    Polk (@Florida): 17% (55'/306')
    Via Capri (@Rue Denise): 16% (115'/739'). Four additional sections of Via Capri @ 10%+ grade.
    Brodiaea (@Romero): 16% (112'/708')
    Black's Beach*: 14% (309'/2,240') *(Does not meet all the requirements of this listing)
    Pringle (@San Diego Ave.): 13% (163'/1,224')
    Via Valverde (@Paseo Laredo); 12% (107'/900')
    Zola (@Rosecrans): 11% (75'/660')
    Laurel (@State): 11% (22'/200') (Laurel to First: 7%)
    Texas (@I-8 off-ramp): 10% (244'/2,466')
    Pacifica (@Loring): 10% (214'/2,133')
    Juan (@Harvey): 10% (166'/1,722')
    Jackson (@Mason): 10% (107'/1,059')
    Upas (@Florida): 10% (105/1,080) (steepest section: 19%)
    Bachman (@Hotel Circle): 8% (266'/3,485')
    Morley Field (@Florida)=>Park: 8% (83'/1,059')
    Presidio (@Jackson): 7% (145'/2,208')

Other notable due to steepness and/or length (all surveyed, typically multi-block):

Mt. Soledad from I-5 (gated): Ridgegate Row: 12% (400'/3,200')
    Mt. Soledad from LJ Village: Exchange Pl. @ Virginia Wy => Upper Hillside Dr @ gate via Country Club Dr.: 11% (507'/4,802')
    Sunset Cliffs: Hill St. @ Sunset Cliffs Rd => Alexandria St.: 11% (245'/2,148')
    Mt. Soledad from LJ Shores: Via Capri @ Hidden Valley Rd => LJ Scenic S: 10% (490'/4,700')
    Mt. Soledad from PB west: LJ Mesa @ Linda Rosa => LJ Scenic S: 9% (416'/4,541')
    Mt. Soledad from Nautilus: Via Valverde @ Nautilus => Upper Hillside: 8% (326'/3,854')
    Mt. Soledad from LJ Village: Hillside @ Torrey Pines Rd. => Via Capri @ LJ Scenic S: 8% (651'/1.49 miles)
    Torrey Pines "Inside": 8% (354'/4,232') - measured between southern entry to lower Reserve parking lot and entry to Visitor's Center
    Mission Hills: Bandini @ San Diego Ave. => Orizaba, Mission Hills: 8% (195'/2,508')
    Mt. Soledad from Bird Rock: LJ Corona @ gate => Cottontail Ln. via LJ Rancho: 7% (278'/4,277')
    Mt. Soledad from west: Nautilus @ Draper => LJ Scenic S: 6% (526'/1.62 miles)
    Mt. Soledad from Muirlands: Muirlands Dr. @ Nautilus => LJ Mesa: 7% (196'/3,010')
    Mt. Soledad from PB west 2: Candlelight @ Van Nuys => Rutgers @ LJ Scenic S: 6% (355'/1.04miles)
    Mt. Soledad from PB: Cardeno Dr. @ Turqoise/Foothill => LJ Scenic S @ Via Capri: 5% (589'/2.19miles)
    Mt. Soledad from LJ Village: Exchange Pl. @ Virginia Way => Via Capri @ LJ Scenic S via Al Bahr/Crespo/Castellana/Hillside: 5% (552'/2.01 miles)
    Torrey Pines "Outside": 5% (436'/1.6 miles) - measured between exit from the Reserve and Torrey Pines Park Rd
    Mt. Soledad from PB east: Soledad Mtn Rd. @ Garnet => LJ Scenic S @ Via Capri: 4% (752'/3.22 miles)

Other notable major hills in San Diego County (by length):

Palomar - Nate Harrison Grade: 4,250'/8.5miles = 10%
    Palomar - South Grade Rd: 4,236'/11.6miles = 7%
    Kitchen Creek Rd: 2,882'/11.6miles = 5%
    Palomar - East Grade Rd: 2,852'/11.3miles = 5%
    Pine Creek Rd.: 1,700'/8.0miles = 4% (sections 15%+)
    Banner Grade: 1,600'/6.8miles = 5%
    Engineer's Rd: 1,227'/4.9miles = 5%

Nominated (to be surveyed):

Illion@Gardena, Goshen, Ticonderoga, Milton, Ash@6th, Talbit, Jutland, 60th, Orange, Del Mar Hghts. Rd., "Rosecrans to submarine station", Sandmark, Titus.

Rules and definitions:

* Only public through streets legal for autos are open for nominations - no dead-end or private streets.
    * The run distance should be measured as you would drive or walk it - no cutting corners for twisty streets
    * To be nominated, the street hill has to be at least one city block long (intersection to intersection). Minimum measurement length is one city block - intra-block dips in the roadway cannot be ranked. Longer hills can be measured in increments of one full block
    * No online mapping system results approved for this ranking, as many have inaccurate elevation estimates, especially for shorter distances.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2010

OK - so I will start:

Loring St., between Foothill Blvd. and Windsor Dr. in Pacific Beach: Run:355', Rise 75' = Average grade 21%
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Nominated:

Bandini St, between San DIego Ave. and W. California St.
    Polk Ave., between Georgia St. and Florida St.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Nominations:

B st between 20th and 21st, ridden up and down on 81 GI fixed gear once and down once, just to have done it.

Hill st in Point Loma. There's a couple blocks towards the top, can't think off hand what they are, but it basically goes straight up and over Point Loma from Sunset Cliffs over to Rosecrans.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Oh yeah, If anyone can recommend an Android ap that will do what it takes to map these, let me know and I'll start collecting data.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

t.e.d:Oh yeah, If anyone can recommend an Android ap that will do what it takes to map these, let me know and I'll start collecting data.
    Not sure that smart phone data are accurate enough for this: My location is 115' above sea level, and my iPhone altimeter shows an elevation of 30' with an accuracy of +/250' = useless! My GPS' vertical accuracy isn't too hot, either, but is typically <10' 95% of the time when with a clear view of the sky.

At any rate, you could test something like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

Some to check out for those that can measure:

Jutland, which is just North of the Costco on Morena in Bay Ho/Clairemont.

Via Capri just west of Hidden Valley Road on the North side of Mt. Soledad.

GPS altimeters are pretty close to useless; unless you are fine with hundreds of feet of inaccuracy. My Garmin 705 has a barometric altimeter but without a way to calibrate it properly, it is also useless. It has had me riding below sea level on several occasions and I haven't been below sea level since I've had it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

billd:GPS altimeters are pretty close to useless; unless you are fine with hundreds of feet of inaccuracy.
    My GPS (Legend HCX) does not have a barometric altimeter so I cannot comment on the accuracy of such data; instead the HCX uses satellite data to estimate elevation. The rule of thumb that I have read (but cannot verify) is that vertical accuracy from consumer grade GPS units is approx. 1.5 times that of the state horizontal accuracy, routinely reported in the sub-10' magnitude on my GPS. Based om that, I would say that achieving an elevation accuracy of well under 20' under good reception conditions is realistic.

Having done repeated measurements in my backyard tend to confirm this - observations are almost invariably in the 115-125' range over a large number of observations, once I have allowed the GPS to "settle".

But I realize that nobody here owns or has access to the pro surveying equipment to do this scientifically - except for, perhaps, Yoshi -- and that therefore measurements may be a bit off. Again, it is kind of just for fun!
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

What about some kind of extended goniometer with a level. Maybe we could take a 10' measurement of the block and extrapolate?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

Just thought of another one, though it's kind of pointless:

Sandmark, from Friars, just east of 805. It doesn't go anywhere unless you work for SDG&E. You'll climb the hill and have to turn around and go back at the gate.
    I nominate Upas between Florida and Park (although the leveling off just before Park might lower its average slope), and Neale between Keating and Pringle. Though it might violate the "dip in the road" provision, Titus between Pringle and Henry descends into a deep canyon and then climbs back out and should get at least honorable mention.
    Also, the streets leading from Rosecrans down to the submarine base are reputed to be quite steep.
    • CommentAuthorjacobk

James P Griffin:I nominate Upas between Florida and Park (although the leveling off just before Park might lower its average slope)

I second this nomination, that hill seemed pretty vertical to me the one or two times I rode it. Luckily, it's a lot easier taking Morley Field up to Park.
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG

In Pittsburgh there's a ride called the Dirty Dozen up the 13 steepest hills within 10k of downtown:
    http://www.dannychew.com/dd.html

It does include one dead end. San Diego could probably put together pretty decent competition in the hill department, though it probably couldn't beat Canton Ave's 37% grade on cobbles.
    • CommentAuthorslobiker

James P Griffin:Also, the streets leading from Rosecrans down to the submarine base are reputed to be quite steep.

Also the very appropriately named Hill St. from O.B. up to Catalina St. Puff puff pant pant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

slobiker:
    James P Griffin:Also, the streets leading from Rosecrans down to the submarine base are reputed to be quite steep.

Also the very appropriately named Hill St. from O.B. up to Catalina St. Puff puff pant pant.

i second hill st!

what about Texas st? dont know the cross streets, but im sure you guys know what im talkin about, between north park & mission valley. i'v been down it many times & up it only once... that hill is brutal!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2010 edited

Rode Via Capri down and then up today and measured the slope twice. Data showed total slope of 10.4% on the descent and 10.3% on the ascent (over a distance of 0.89m) which is close enough to assume a fairly accurate reading.

As far as being both steep and long at the same time, Via Capri is certainly up there! (So is Torrey Pines inside).

Photobucket

PacMUle:what about Texas st? !
    I think Texas is one of those long and steep hills, too - probably both shorter and less steep than Via Capri, but certainly a deserving nomination!

And as to nominations - how could I forget Laurel St? Or even Juan St?
    There is a short up-and-down stretch of 60th Street between Old Memory Lane and Broadway that is absolutely insanely steep. I have never ridden it on a bike but I have driven it. I do not know the percent grade but it is far greater than Laurel Street which I ride often. Just getting to where the steep part of 60th Street is located requires climbing some serious hills.

I have ridden Bandini only once (never drove it) and I was very scared that I was going to fall backward on my recumbent. (Your weight on a recumbent is mostly toward the rear of the bike so falling backward is a real issue.)

Although I have climbed Mount Soledad many times, I have never attempted Via Capri and don't think I ever will, either up or down. I drove up it once a long time ago in my 1983 Toyota Tercel and ol' TT barely could climb it in 1st gear going 12 mph.
    • CommentAuthorBrandon
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2010

I nominate Pacifica Dr. between Loring and Romney. I don't have a computer or GPS but I do have a 2 foot topo map: Run 2182' Rise 278' Average grade: 13%
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

Njord Noatun:
    As far as being both steep and long at the same time, Via Capri is certainly up there! (So is Torrey Pines inside).

I second the nomination of Torrey Pines (inside)!
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

Oooh and yesterday I was on 20th street and looked west on B street and thought "that would be a horrible horrible hill to climb". It's only like one block... but it would suck! :-p

here
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

I live at the bottom of the steepest section of Laurel (State-Union). It's fun to see rear bumpers of Cadillacs and other land yachts grind on the pavement when they start up (nice asphalt gashes too). The best is when you get a bus going up, and when the rear bumper hits, it lifts the rear wheels off the ground until a wrecker can tow them off. Second best would be watching the people who run the stop sign at the top, only to say "holy schidt" when their front wheels leave the ground. Good times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

I used to live in Golden Hill and would ride down B street all the time to get to downtown or PCH to go North. I once saw a stretch limo stuck on the ridge going down from the intersection with 21st. It was just sitting there, wheels in the air, teetering a bit. It was really easy to catch air on that ridge if you didn't mind running the stop sign, or catching air on a road bike.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010 edited

Climbed and surveyed for slope Juan, Jackson, Presidio, Bandini, Zola and Hill St today, as well as Pacifica a couple of days ago. Post #1 in this thread has been updated accordingly.

I didn't think that Bandini would beat out Loring for the top slot, but it did - considerably shorter, but steeper: It gets steeper and steeper as you get closer to the top!

Well - still many more streets to be survey before we are even close to being done.
    What is the grade of Bandini just between San Diego and California? I can't even keep my front wheel on the road there, but the rest of Bandini is fine.

(Oops, reread your top post and saw the answer.)
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010

• CommentAuthorPraxis
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010

There's a bunch of steep sections in the Bay Park area; the steepest that comes to mind is north from Illion Street and Gardena Avenue, for a couple hundred or feet or so until the church. That's probably steeper than my daily short hill north from Via Beltran and Sioux, which is steep enough to make holding the front wheel down a challenge when I'm towing a kid up it on a trail-a-bike. I've tried to measure the local one, but I don't think my iPhone is accurate enough, and I'm not sure if I should trust the maps on Gmaps Pedometer for that short of a distance.

I wonder where Bachman is in the running?
    • CommentAuthorSerge

Great thread.

><em> 4) Via Capri, LJ (@Rue Denise): 16% (115'/739'), (Via Capri all the way to the top @ LJ Scenic S: 8% (490', 4,700' [0.89 miles])</em>

Is that starting at the intersection with Hidden Valley Rd? I wonder what the grade is right at that right hand curve.

Pacifica is a killer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Serge:Great thread.Is that starting at the intersection with Hidden Valley Rd? I wonder what the grade is right at that right hand curve.
    Yes. The "rules" of the listing is that the hill has to be at least one block long, and the section of hill at Hidden Valley is less than a block, IIRC. But it is really step right at the intersection!

I also found an error in the grade calculation for all of Via Capri - it should be 10% (10.4%, to be exact), not 8% as previously listed: The error is corrected now.

Serge:Pacifica is a killer.
    Yes! And Pacifica starts well below Loring, but flattens out, and even drops, before it gets to the next intersection at Romney, so the real hilly section of Pacifica is steeper and possibly longer than the official measurement above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Has Del Mar Heights been mentioned yet, from the 101 to the top of the hill?

I have a friend who lives about 2/3 of the way up there and it is always hard to accept an invitation to his place. I really have to earn that beer when I go.

Much worse than Torrey Pines Hill through the park which I do almost daily.

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

batmick:Has Del Mar Heights been mentioned yet, from the 101 to the top of the hill?
    That looks pretty steep - but I limited this post to the City of San Diego, in order to concentrate the efforts to get something going in SD first.

Praxis:the steepest that comes to mind is north from Illion Street and Gardena Avenue. I wonder where Bachman is in the running?
    Where on Gardena is this, Praxis?

I betcha Bachmann is well under 10%. But I've put in on the list of hills to be surveyed - at least it is decent length.
    • CommentAuthorSam

Sorry I don't have anything to add. All the juicy ones have already been mentioned and many I had not known about. But I'm going to try to ride up every single one (esp. motivated since I was able to ride up Polk on 2nd gear - or middle gear in the front).

Actually, I do have one to add. On Orange Ave by 54th (I think). I don't think it is too bad, but since Bachman and Texas have been mentioned....
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010 edited

Carlsbad has some hills:

My ride home:

My ride from Trader Joes:

(do this route 1 or 2 times a week, Bike+gear+food ... 55lbs to 70lbs.
    • CommentAuthorPraxis
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010

Njord Noatun: Where on Gardena is this, Praxis?

Illion, actually. It's a steep climb up to the church.

But, re-reading the rules, I guess it's ineligible as it's less than a block.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010

What is the hill I see going north on 805 just past the cross over of the 8?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010

William.:What is the hill I see going north on 805 just past the cross over of the 8?

I think it's a private access road for the SDGE switching station and office building up at the top. Can't find a name on google...
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010 edited

I thought it was called Sandmark, which I mentioned earlier. Looking at the map again, I'm realizing that it probably is not considered the same road. It may not have a name. There's a sign out on Friars that says "Private Road 9060 Friars Road". The access gate is actually fairly far up the hill so if you try to climb it, you're in for a big climb and turn around for no reward, unless you feel the climb and the fast downhill with a sudden stop is a reward.. The Google Maps street view car went all the way up to the gate and turned around. The pictures even seem to go a bit past the gate but then quickly end. If you could get past the SDG&E access gates, you could go all the way through to the area around Murray Ridge Road.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010

Njord Noatun:
    batmick:Has Del Mar Heights been mentioned yet, from the 101 to the top of the hill?
    That looks pretty steep - but I limited this post to the City of San Diego, in order to concentrate the efforts to get something going in SD first.

Praxis:the steepest that comes to mind is north from Illion Street and Gardena Avenue. I wonder where Bachman is in the running?
    Where on Gardena is this, Praxis?

Ah, but Del Mar Heights is in the City of San Diego. Del Mar didn't want it. They didn't want North City West either.

I like the name Gardena. It means "Spear Danes" in Old English.
    • CommentAuthorSam

Nomination: How about Ash where Home Ave ends? Pointless hill that doesn't go anywhere and I found that out the hard way. I would like to know whether it is legal ride that stretch of 94 from where Home Ave ends to and exit out at Broadway.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

bëany:Nomination: How about Ash where Home Ave ends? Pointless hill that doesn't go anywhere and I found that out the hard way. I would like to know whether it is legal ride that stretch of 94 from where Home Ave ends to and exit out at Broadway.

I was JUST talking with a reporter for the SDReader about that SAME spot. What a great place to build a ped bridge over the WASTELAND of the 15 there. It could connect with C st and provide a shorter, albeit, hilly connection to East Golden Hill and South Park.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010 edited

It would be safe and wonderful to be able to ride freeway shoulders between on/off ramps, but the only place CalTrans will allow it in San Diego County is I-5 between Sorrento Valley and Genesee, I-52 between Santo Rd. and Mast Blvd., and on I-8 in places where Hwy 80 was overlayed by the freeway.

One day a friend of mine was stopped by police on southbound Kearny Villa Rd. at Miramar Way on a Friday afternoon during the Air Show and prevented from riding home after work. He got on 163 and rode the shoulder to Clairemont Mesa Blvd. He had to cross the infamous on ramp from KVR at the other end, the off ramp from the HOV lane, and the on ramp from 52 east, but the CHP didn't bother him about it, probably because they didn't see him.
    • CommentAuthorSam

wpstoll:It would be safe and wonderful to be able to ride freeway shoulders between on/off ramps, but the only place CalTrans will allow it in San Diego County is I-5 between Sorrento Valley and Genesee, I-52 between Santo Rd. and Mast Blvd., and on I-8 in places where Hwy 80 was overlayed by the freeway.

OT: And on the 805 in Otay Mesa from Palm Ave to Main St.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

Last I heard, it was still allowed on I-15 between West Bernardo/Pomerado and Via Rancho Parkway (across Lake Hodges) even though they have a pedestrian/bike bridge. Not sure if it's still true.

I certainly wouldn't mind riding 163 South from Genesee to Friars if it were allowed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010

billd:Last I heard, it was still allowed on I-15 between West Bernardo/Pomerado and Via Rancho Parkway (across Lake Hodges) even though they have a pedestrian/bike bridge. Not sure if it's still true.

Aren't they working on that bridge and have closed it again temporarily? I think I read something like that not too long ago. But they might be done again already.
    I have ridden that section before and it scared the living daylights out of me every time. Riding along freeway traffic is not for the timid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010

The I-15 shoulders betwen Via Rancho Parkway and Pomerado/West Bernardo are open for bike traffic. The Lake Hodges bridge was closed for a bit for resurfacing but it is open again. There is a construction project to extend the path connection from the bridge to Rancho Bernardo community park, but bike traffic is still able to use W. Bernardo Drive.
    The freeway shoulders are still open to bikes because the bike/ped bridge is only open during the day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010 edited

Today was my first bike ride (except for my short commute this week) in 12 days or so(!) and I did a few climbs up and over Mt. Soledad to get back into things.

Surveyed a few routes, and found that Country Club Dr. between Virginia Way and Upper Hillside Dr. is the biggest & baddest hill on Soledad: At 11% and 4,800', it is both steeper and longer than its more famous peer Via Capri (albeit just by a hair)!

(However, this route does not technically qualify for this list as it does not go through: This dude who lives in a house on meager 10 acres right at the top of Upper Hillside has put in gates on the street at both corners of his property, making the street private and only accessible for peds and bicyclists through two narrow gates).

Post #1 has been updated accordingly.
    • CommentAuthorbikurious
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010

I'm proud to have bombed the 3rd gnarliest hill in San Diego on a track bike.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2010 edited

I have been surveying misc. Mt. Soledad routes as I have randomly climbed them, and updated Post #1 to this thread accordingly. I think I am pretty much done surveying Mt. Soledad now with most major routes covered:

Longest route: Soledad Mtn. Road (4% grade, 3.2 miles)
    Steepest routes: Via Capri and Country Club Dr. (10-11% grades, 0.9 miles)
    Steep and long: Hillside Dr. (8%, 1.5 miles)

It's been fun!

Photobucket
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2010

Surveyed a few more streets: There is a new hill on top of the leaderboard (28%!) - curiously, a street that I just stumbled upon and hadn't even heard of only a few days ago. Thanks to James B. Griffin for suggesting I check out this part of town.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2010

I would not have guessed that Bandini would beat B St.