Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2013

Wow! Total madness... Definitely gotta try it sometimes! :oD
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014

Hey, anybody ever measured Linda Rosa Ave at Forward and Loring St at Foothill Blvd (both at the base of Mt Soledad) by any chance?
    Hi Smorg,

Both of these are about 20-22%, based on the profiles of the Strava segments:

http://www.strava.com/segments/1244918
    http://www.strava.com/segments/928191
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014

Ha! Didn't know I could look up max grades on Strava segments. Way cool. Thanks a bunch, John! :oD
    Now I was just wondering if San Diego had any hills with a 22% grade.

Tour of Flanders recon photos from SteephillTV

•  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2015

We have several, I think. :) And just about all the roads up the south side of Dictionary Hill have a block or two in the mid 20s. I think the steepest blocks there are the block north of Chestnut on Maria Ave (32% and ends in a steep set of staircase) and Ramona Ave (28%).

In the city, you have Illion St in Bay Park (concrete part is around 24%, then you still have 1/2 block of steep tarmac to the top... maybe starting around 14 and slowly leveling out to the church), the 1st block of Bandini St from San Diego Ave (25%), Torrance between Keatings and Pringle (26%), Lucinda St btw Harbor View & Garden State is 23%. Laurel St steep block at State is 22.5% (same as the steep block on B St at 20th). Though these are all just a single steep block. Dictionary Hill stuff are as steep or steeper for longer. When I really feel like punishing myself I'd go up Apple St from the west, then continue to the top of San Bernardino Ave. That just about cures me of steepie-fetism every time.

And if those aren't bad enough, you can always have a go at Alpine Trail Rd from Harbison Canyon Rd (via Galloway Valley Rd), or the Crow's Nest Ln from Harbison Cyn Rd (via Silverbrook). Average gradients on those aren't so bad, but max grades are pretty outrageous. :o) There are a few steeper roads in the county... tho they're the heavily gated variety...
    • CommentAuthorerik
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2015

Smorg:.Torrance between Keatings and Pringle (26%)

I saw this for the first time the other day. Horrifying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

My favorite, Pine Creek shows at least 24.1% https://www.strava.com/segments/3301948?filter=overall
    • CommentAuthorysa

Paul:My favorite, Pine Creek shows at least 24.1% https://www.strava.com/segments/3301948?filter=overall

Yes, Pine Creek is one of the few paved roads where the granny gear of a modern MTB triple (22/36) isn't total overkill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2015 edited

Shady John:
    Paul:My favorite, Pine Creek shows at least 24.1% https://www.strava.com/segments/3301948?filter=overall
    Yes, Pine Creek is one of the few paved roads where the granny gear of a modern MTB triple (22/36) isn't total overkill.
    I can't remember for certain if I was able to do that short but really steep section with standard 42/28 gears, but pretty sure I did.
    Sigurd:
    Shady John:
    I can't remember for certain if I was able to do that short but really steep section with standard 42/28 gears, but pretty sure I did.

Standing out of the saddle in a taller gear is the other option, but it gets old on a full suspension bike (even with everything locked out). As an aside, there's one crazy feature on that road: at one point the climb is broken by a steep descent, with a V bottom to another steep, climbing turn. You descend at full speed and let your momentum carry you up the next section, but you have to make the sharp left turn while you still have quite a bit of speed during the ascent--it's a strange weightless sensation, and you have to worry a little bit about traction.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2015

I've had some crazy moments on that dip with both wheels sliding. I don't tend to charge it any more on a road bike. The pavement is uneven there. Definitely a welcome break after the grind but use caution.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2015

Finally got to pay the Crow's Nest Lane in Harbison Canyon a proper visit a couple of weeks ago. It's a relatively short dead-end climb (there's a dirt road extension down the other side to Wilson Rd off Dehesa, but it is gated off with 'No Trespassing' sign) at .4 mile, but it is quite very spicy (18% average grade, max grade around 28%... 32% at the two icky little speed bumps). If you've ridden through Crest and down Mountain View/Frances Dr into Harbison Canyon Rd before, you have probably glimpsed at the Crow... It's this thin tarmac lane going up to the spire on the east side of the canyon.

IMG_5934 IMG_6001

I confess to breaking into rigorous zigzag at the first right turn, and still having to stop twice to reassemble lungs and legs before topping out. :oP The lane isn't often swept, so there are debris on it, washed down from the roadside. The two small speed bumps along the way really don't help either going up or down. I did spontaneous (and quite very unintentional) wheelies a couple of times hitting the bumps... the 2nd wheelie came accompanied by rear wheel skid thanks to dusting of loose sand on the pavement, which was quite unnerving, to say the least.

IMG_5953 IMG_5957

IMG_5975

The view is nice on top, tho... Only two of the four or so houses on that road are occupied, so there's a lot of open view... especially of Dehesa Rd climbing east toward Tavern/Japatul junction... And out SE toward Sycuan Ridge.

IMG_5970

I'm afraid descending the Crow's Nest isn't quite as pleasurable as I had hoped... The dusting of sand and gravel on the surface made the road quite slippery, which isn't nice when the average gradient is 18%. Just couldn't let the bike run at all. By the time I got back down to Silverbrook my hands were all sore and I was very grateful that the weather was as cool as it was. My aluminum rims were just shy of smoking from all the braking. :oP
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2016

• CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2016

OK, so im signed up for a race (by foot) - pikes peak ascent. 13.3 miles with 7000+' of climbing. So I need to train for this, other than soledad what are the longest road climbs with in a biking distance from downtown (12miles - i want to keep some in the tank for the run) ? The road in your opinion safe to run on the shoulder?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg

Oooh... Maybe Scripps Poway Pkwy (and staying on the uphill side shoulder both going up and down)? That doesn't come close to approaching the steepness of Pikes Peak (something around 10%), tho.

If you are willing to catch some public transportation (to keep the biking bit within 12 miles), I'd suggest going to the top of Double Peak from the intersection of Rancho Santa Fe Rd and San Elijo Rd. Nice sidewalk all the way up (on the NW side of the road). The first bit is mellow, but after School House Dr it kicks up to 7% and then a bit steeper on the 2nd half of Double Peak Rd. There is a park with good restroom and water fountain on top (and pretty awesome view).

On the other (San Marcos) side of San Elijo/Twin Oaks Valley Rd, there's also a cool paved road that goes to the top of Mt Whitney. The name is Bela Vita, and it branches uphill from Village Dr. It's a private road with gates you can run around. Hardly ever run into any car. No facility from bottom to top, tho, will have to carry your own water and stuff.

Or... you can always just do laps up and down Texas St between Camino Del Rio South and Mission Ave (the turn off on top just before Madison Ave traffic light). It's short at .3 mile (unless you go down past the intersection to the First United Lutheran Church. That's where I turn around when I do my weekly Texas St Ten-peat ride, then you'd get about .5 mile each way up), but it averages 11% and you can get to it quickly (and it's very safe to run on the huge sidewalk on the west side of the road).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

synthetic:...other than soledad what are the longest road climbs with in a biking distance from downtown (12miles
    The longest road climb in the City is Soledad Mtn Rd - about one mile. Adding in Ridgegate, you get two miles. However, if you are literal about your 12 mile limit from Downtown, you will only get halfway up Soledad. Helix is out, too. Torrey Pines Grade - way out of your reach.

I should say spirited hillreps up Pringle St - same elevation gain as Washington St, but steeper and with much less traffic. Throw in a sprinkle of other Mission Hills climbs and Bachman for variation.
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic

trying to avoid downhills, they injure me. i thought soledad was 3 miles of climbing
    Realistically--and I can't believe I'm recommending this--you might want to train on a treadmill. You can set your own distance and % gradient, and you don't have to run any downhills.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

synthetic: i thought soledad was 3 miles of climbing
    You're right - what was I thinking...

synthetic: trying to avoid downhills, they injure me.
    ...what goes up has to come down (this has to do with physics, I think).
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2016

Soledad Mountain Rd. is a stair stepper climb. It's flatish in places and steep in others. Via Capri is probably better training for Pikes Peak.