Not signed in (Sign In)
    Yea, .... I've been ogling that bike all day. Another really nice bike by Mark. Clean looking and sharp! The triple chain rings and high gearing makes local touring and hauling a breeze I guessing. With the trailer to haul your folding bike and then meet Gena and ride together, how cool is that? That's well done!

When changing over from 26" to 650's is there much of an adjustment to the brake pad location? It looks like the stock cantilever brakes.

The fenders look to have better clearance with the 650's. Would they work with 26" tires?

That looks to be a Sunlight rack on the front.?? I'd like to see a close up of how you mount the front rack on the brake bosses and maybe the fork crown if you could. I've been considering a few similar type racks on some bikes I have. Don't you need special nuts and extenders to supplement the bolts for the brakes? It's a nice way to carry a wicker basket without the basket flopping all around on just the leather straps.

The rear rack is nice looking as well. What's the make on that? I've looked at Tubus Racks, but they are pricey. Rackit racks are half the cost of Tubus and highly regarded. (They are a subsidiary of Tubus.)

Do I spy a small saddle bag between the springs on the seat? Patch kit, levers, extra tube?

======

Oh yea, by the way, ...those Hercules folders of yours are gorgeous! What nice metal flake paint on those old beauties! They must have come through the time portal with nary a scratch. Wow.

Ride well and be safe out there.

OKB
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2012 edited

When changing over from 26" to 650's is there much of an adjustment to the brake pad location? It looks like the stock cantilever brakes.

I replaced the stock (70s-80s) cantilever brakes with a mid-90s Deore cantilever brakes to make the proper brake pad to rim reach. On a side note, there are few forum members who converted their 26 inch wheeled Surly LHTs to 650b in the past.

The fenders look to have better clearance with the 650's. Would they work with 26" tires?

The fenders came off an old 26"wheeled Novarra commuter that I cannibalized back in 2010. So a 26 x 1.95 Vittoria Randonneur or Schwalbe Marathons could have fitted the bike. But we wanted a narrower tire. We had a 26x1.5 tires but looked disproportionate and didn't go very well. My goal for this build was a classic Mixte (or modern Betty Foy).

That looks to be a Sunlight rack on the front.?? I'd like to see a close up of how you mount the front rack on the brake bosses and maybe the fork crown if you could. I've been considering a few similar type racks on some bikes I have. Don't you need special nuts and extenders to supplement the bolts for the brakes? It's a nice way to carry a wicker basket without the basket flopping all around on just the leather straps.

The Sunlight front rack fits nicely. There is an L-bracket that doubles as a washer when mounting on the original brake boss mount. The rack also comes with a long bolt and bracket for the fork crown attachment. The wicker basket is something I found at a thift store for a few bucks; light weight and it looks good.

The rear rack is nice looking as well. What's the make on that? I've looked at Tubus Racks, but they are pricey. Rackit racks are half the cost of Tubus and highly regarded. (They are a subsidiary of Tubus.)

The rear rack came off that Novarra commuter I mentioned above. I would like to score some Tubus Racks or Rack it in the future but I have handful of stock inexpensive racks that I rotate between different bikes.

Do I spy a small saddle bag between the springs on the seat? Patch kit, levers, extra tube?

That is the Brooks saddle rain cover to protect the saddle from coastal moisture in the evenings. Even a few minutes of exposure every few days can quickly deteriorate the leather finish.
    ======

Oh yea, by the way, ...those Hercules folders of yours are gorgeous! What nice metal flake paint on those old beauties! They must have come through the time portal with nary a scratch. Wow.

Really stoked to find those Hercules foldables. It was a great and very affordable find.
    michael_s:that came out really nice. Hows the bottom bracket height?

Bottom bracket height is 12 inches.
    • CommentAuthormichael_s
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2012

not sure if anyone's followed Rawland, but they are taking pre-orders on a 650B low trail skinny tubed road bike. see http://rawlandcycles.blogspot.com/
    It will fit the wonderful Hetre tires, the best fat & fast rolling tire on the market.
    Nothing else on the market like this, except for customs. Basically a budget version of the kind of bikes Jan Heine touts on his Bicycle Quarterly magazine.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2013

Tubeless 650B:
    With Giant putting their considerable resources behind the 27.5 MTB (650B), I would expect to see many more options for 650B builds. I'm considering converting a 26" disc brake to 650B with UST tubeless. With disc brakes, the conversion should be as simple as swapping out wheel sets.
    Has anyone found a good high mileage fast rolling ~42mm 650B UST tire suitable for pavement and gravel?
    • CommentAuthormichael_s
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2013

there are many people running Hetres tubeless. check out some of the posts here https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/650b

Vee Rubber has a new 650B tire out that may fit your needs too.It's called the Speedster and runs about 48mm wide. http://www.my650b.com/650b-tires.html
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2018

If one already has two Surly's, is it permissible to lust after another one?
    http://theradavist.com/2018/02/the-surly-midnight-special-is-truly-a-fat-tire-road-bike-morgan-taylor/
    Surly Midnight Special 650B
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2018 edited

And it's pretty tough to say 650B without Rivendell!
    https://www.rivbike.com/pages/a-short-history

Hail Mary (Store Credit + Reserve a Catalog)
    https://www.rivbike.com/collections/featured-products/products/hail-mary-store-credit

How about a little crowd funding?

Hail Mary Thanks
    https://rivbike.tumblr.com/
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2018 edited

Ran into this forum for the first time in a while looking for pictures of a cargo bike linkage— since I've moved to NYC from San Diego, my bikes have evolved from heavy touring tanks to light/fast touring tanks, and I've set up a Bikesdirect titianium cross bike as a Firefly-esque rig with tubeless 650b tires:
    titanium bike

The Bikesdirect Ti bikes are a ridiculously good deal, often cheaper than an equivalent Surly but still well-equipped with plenty of tire clearance & eyelets.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2018

Not mine, but thought this was a pretty sweet example of a 650B conversion that weights in at ~20 lbs:
    https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/d/2017-raleigh-roker-sport-650b/6568775125.html
    2017 Raleigh Roker Sport 650B
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2018

I believe 650B's would fit my Bacchetta (which is running 40mm 559 26" wheels).

Tempting.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2018

650B has a diameter of 584 mm vs your current 559 mm. If you have maxed out the clearance with the 40 mm tires, then you would probably have to step down to ~28 mm tires with the conversion. Easy to try with disk brakes, harder if you have caliper brakes. You could take your bike to any bike shop and try on a wheel from any non-29er mountain bike on the floor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2018

Shady John:650B has a diameter of 584 mm vs your current 559 mm. If you have maxed out the clearance with the 40 mm tires, then you would probably have to step down to ~28 mm tires with the conversion. Easy to try with disk brakes, harder if you have caliper brakes. You could take your bike to any bike shop and try on a wheel from any non-29er mountain bike on the floor.

Bike has discs and plenty of clearance.

• CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2018

Does anyone know of a shop that stocks 650b wheelsets? I'd love to bring in my bike to check brake clearances. I've called around and no one has them.

RIP Velo Cult.
    • CommentAuthorRohler
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2018

Would a 27.5" MTB wheel suffice?
    Mountain bikes these days are either 650b (27.5) or 29. So in theory you could walk into any shop that sells mountain bikes, borrow a wheel off a floor bike, and try it out. However, it gets complicated with hub spacing and axle types, and of course disk vs rim brakes. So your best bet is a low-end bike that has rim brakes, standard quick-release hubs, and 100F/135R spacing. You could grab a front wheel from such a bike and (maybe after deflating the tire) fit it right in to try on a road bike front fork. The rim will likely be on the wide side for a road bike (probably 32mm minimum tire width) but you could try it out at least.

Something like this:

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/bikes-frames/mountain-bikes/marin-bolinas-ridge-1-275-mountain-bike-2017-31-6803
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2018 edited

One of the major advantages of 650B road/gravel bikes is to be able to fit fatter tires and maintain 73-72 degree frame angles, especially in the smaller frame sizes.

An example of how the 73-72 angles are maintained in smaller frame sizes is the 650B Raleigh Redux / Size Guide:
    https://www.raleighusa.com/redux-2

However, most of the the 650B bicycles I see appear to be frames originally designed for 700c with just a set of 650B wheels slapped on.

This results in catawampus frame geometry of 74 and 71 degree angles in the smaller frame sizes of 52cm and less.

Are there any affordable 650B road/gravel bicycles that maintain 73-72 angles, ~72mm BB drop in the smaller (52cm and less) frame sizes?
    BQ 65 Preview: Traversing the Sawtooth Range
    The Autumn Bicycle Quarterly take you on a trip across the Sawtooth Range. Long-term BQ readers know that it’s been a bit of a holy grail for us to find a passage across this mountain range, with our first attempts ending in washouts and snow. This time we take the affordable Masi Speciale Randonneur and the Frances Farfarer trailer on the search for a route that crosses these beautiful mountains.

Spring 2018 Bicycle Quarterly

MASI: Speciale Randonneur 650B - 2018

Masi Speciale Randonneur 650B

• CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2018

Not that I would expect to see this reviewed in Bicycle Quarterly, but for a very affordable price I picked up a new Huffy Parkside 650B:
    https://www.huffybikes.com/comfort-bikes-mens-perfect-fit-frame-bikes-perfect-fit-frame-comfort-bikes-special/parkside-men-s-7-speed-perfect-fit-frame-comfort-bike/p-45145
    Yes, you read it right... a 650B Huffy!