Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011 edited

It is time to get this awesome ride on our joint calendars:

When: May 14, 2011
    Where: SDBikeCommuters meet at the San Ysidro Trolley Station on the morning of.
    What: 50 mile 3,500' elev. fun ride Rosarito to Ensenada
    Documentation needed for re-entry: Passport or residency papers
    Helmet: Not optional

This event is in its 32nd year, and happens semi-annually; Fall and Spring: The Spring event is IMO the best one because everything is in bloom and green. Once in Ensenada, there is a great Finish Line Fiesa with music and festivities.

SDBikeCommuter member Cobraeverde and I plan to host the ride for any members from here who are looking to attend. Here is our plan:

1) Cobraeverde will provide a package containing ride tickets and tourist bus ride to and from Tijuana. Package price for ride and journey in bus will be approx. $60 (net cost - no markup) for those who commit to the ride.
    2) It is possible that we may be able to do some limited carpooling from San Diego to the border, but the SDBikeCommuter event officially starts at the San Ysidro Trolley Station at the border on the morning of.
    3) From there, we will ride as a group across the border and head down to the TJ Bus terminal (approx. 20 min ride).
    4) We will board a dedicated air-conditioned tourist bus to travel to Rosarito. Our bicycles will be safely stored in the luggage compartment under the coach cabin. Travel time is one hour.
    5) We will do the ride to Ensenada (51 miles, 3,500' elev.)
    6) The bus will take us from Ensenada and arrive in TJ in the evening. Travel time is two hours.
    7) We will ride as a group from the TJ bus station, across the border, and back to the trolley stop. Expect to be back in San Diego 10PM or thereabouts.

Please note that the event is also selling bus tickets originating and finishing in San Diego: We will not get involved with it because of price ($85 for the bus, only) and because you will guaranteed get stuck at the border check for at least an hour or perhaps more, while crossing as a pedestrian we will probably just walk straight across with no or very limited wait.

So -- who wants to go?

More information about the ride here.

•  
      CommentAuthorthreeflys
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011

Wish I could, but Coast Guard still isn't allowed in Mexico unless on official business...

Have fun!
    Sigurd-great thread. you've basically covered everything that needs to be covered.

the only thing I have to add is...bring sunscreen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2011

I think I will treat myself to an Elite Start - yummy!

cobraeverde:The only thing I have to add is...bring sunscreen.
    I forgot about that - you'll be riding into the sun basically all day: Sunscreen and reapplications are required!
    • CommentAuthormfutch

I have done the super secret elite start a couple times. Don't know about that one? It's when you show up an hour late and have to ride through traffic until you catch up with the rest of the ride (usually you see mountain bikers first). The nice thing about the super secret elite start is that it is easy on the ego. You get passed by maybe 10 people all day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

mfutch: The nice thing about the super secret elite start is that it is easy on the ego. You get passed by maybe 10 people all day.
    I am not that concerned about the ego - mine is pliable and bouncy: But - last time, I started towards the back (I got there late-ish and there were 4,000 riders): It was like riding the Critical Mass, and it took me 8-10 miles before I could ride my own pace due to the throngs of other riders: By starting up front with all the "racers", I can likely go my own pace from the get-go. Or at least that's the idea.
    • CommentAuthoryoshi
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2011 edited

I've done this ride twice---both times opting for the bus ride and it was super smooth going.
    It's definitely pricey, but you get breakfast in the morning, easy passage to the start, your bike safely transported on a separate truck, all you can eat tacos and beer at the end, and a quick passage back across the border (they get to use a different lane then everyone else).
    The ride is really really fun and I believe it's a major source of revenue to the Rosarito area.
    One of the best suggestions I have is to bring a big bag of candy so you can toss it out to all the local kids along the route.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011 edited

Cobraeverde and I (plus a few friends from south of the border) are doing this ride this Saturday - anybody else going?
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011

I'm planning on it, but I'm pretty sick right now. We'll see how I'm doing by the end of the week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011 edited

mfutch:I'm planning on it, but I'm pretty sick right now. We'll see how I'm doing by the end of the week.
    Hopefully you feel better by now so that you can make it! If you decide to go, text me (number in profile) once in Rosarito -- perhaps we can ride together for a while. Or get together in Ensenada for the fiesta!
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011

I'm feeling a bit better, but still kind of "meh." I'm going to have to skip it this time...I'll be there in september for sure though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011 edited

Did this today: Perfect riding weather with a mix of clouds and sun, and temps in the mid to high 60s.

Had a great time - the hills that were killing me last time barely registered today: 2:49; 18.2mph avg. - I reckon I must've had some help from the tailwinds!

Here's a photo of the main peloton attempting to close the gap (also a sample of the kind of photo quality achieved by a seven year old Nokia):

:face-devil-grin:

Photobucket
    Sigurd, looks like a few cyclists in the back ground is struggling and weaving a bit. And they were probably wondering why you're not wearing the spandex outfit and still manage to fly by...
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2011

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2011 edited

This ride has a couple or pretty nice climbs, and I would typically choose a three-ring (or compact) setup in order to make sure I have a bailout gear, if need be. Last Rosarito ride this spring, my triple (1.0x) was in the shop and I had to settle for a double (1.6x) bike: It actually ended up better than expected, as I could not allow myself to settle into "creeper pace" on the hills with the much higher gearing on the double: So, my pace with the double was much better than with the triple.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011

I've only done it once and it was on my MTB because my road bike only had two rings at the time. It was tough but I really enjoyed it. Too bad I won't be around to do it this time!
    • CommentAuthorbuenasolas
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011

So, is there a non $90(and more fun) bus ride being setup for the 9/24 Rosarito ride?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011 edited

buenasolas:So, is there a non $90(and more fun) bus ride being setup for the 9/24 Rosarito ride?
    In the past I have had my amigos south of the border purchase a motor coach/registration package for me: Coach ride TJ=>Rosarito in the morning; Ensenada=>TJ in the afternoon, plus registration for the ride itself for, AFAIR, about $50.

In addition to the cost savings compared to US based packages, you cross the border as a pedestrian and there is therefore no wait at the border when you return at night. And you get to practice your Spanish while in transit!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2012

The next Rosarito - Ensenada ride is May 5th, start 10:00AM. Anybody here thinking of going? We could do a group order.
    • CommentAuthordstone

Sigurd:The next Rosarito - Ensenada ride is May 5th, start 10:00AM. Anybody here thinking of going? We could do a group order.

I am.
    • CommentAuthormfutch

Bummer, I'm in Arkansas for a wedding that weekend...Didn't it used to be in April?
    • CommentAuthorlisi

I'm down.
    I'm totally in it has been on my calendar since Dec when I found out when it was....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2012 edited

You can get an idea of the elevation profile here (approx. 2,400'/50 miles).

I'd like to think of the ride as mostly flat (often with tail wind) with rollers, but with some notable climbs between the 23 and 34 mile marker as follows:

1) Two back to back Torrey Pines (outside) hills (avg, grade and length, although some sections are steeper; up to 8%), then a very short (<1 mile) breather
    2) Half a Torrey Pines, then a fairly short (<2 miles) breather
    3) One Torrey Pines

The rest are really only minor bumps and rollers - think PCH.

Makes sense?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

All "outside" Torry Pines grades? Sweet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpanarossi

I'm down! Count me in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2012 edited

Sorry - yes, all outside TPs, although there are some fairly short sections that are more like TP inside, and these steeper climbs are right at the beginning of the ride's climbing section.
    I don't think I have ever done TPs if someone is going to ride that way I would love to tag along to get some practice as I'm sure I will need a lot of practice for this ride.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012

I might be going... haven't gone on that ride since I think 1997.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity

I've always wanted to go on this ride. It's a long way off but I'll tentatively say yes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

How are the bikes treated by the transport company?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2012

bikingbill:How are the bikes treated by the transport company?
    I have only done this ride twice: Although my bike was treated OK, I do not have not enough evidence to uncritically endorse the transportation methods. I suppose it also varies depending upon with whom you contract for transport, as there are a lot of different shipping options - notably, starting in San Diego or TJ, or just the return leg from Ensenada.

For bikes of "unusual" shapes (such as yours, BB) all bets are off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2012

lucky.penny:I don't think I have ever done TPs ...

2x W.Washington = 1x TP
    2x Bachman Pl. = 1x TP

...ish.
    • CommentAuthortheboss
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2012

This is just about the most fun you can have on a bike. I do it at least once a year!
    Sigurd:The next Rosarito - Ensenada ride is May 5th, start 10:00AM. Anybody here thinking of going? We could do a group order.

What is the group order? I did not see that option on the website.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpanarossi
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2012

I just realized I'll in Long Beach for the Cruz Gran Fondo century on the same day... :face-sad:
    • CommentAuthortt92103
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012

I would like to ride my bike down to TJ on Friday night and then get a ride to Rosarito Saturday morning. How can I get a ride to Rosarito with my bike? Are there buses? Anyone know how much a taxi would cost? And could I put my bike in the trunk??
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012 edited

Just got this crazy idea that I will try to do this ride again - it'll be my third time - next Saturday!

Time: Saturday Cinco de Mayo (5/5), 2012.
    Leave / arrive San Diego (est): 0600 / 2200++ resp.
    Dist: 50 miles with a few gnarly climbs.
    Bring: Passport, cash (for bus and ride tickets, etc.) - no credit cards please (US $ work well). Oh - and helmet; almost forgot.

This will be totally unorganized attempt at doing the ride; guerrilla style: I will ride across the border, try to hitch a random ride with one of the tourist buses that go down to Rosarito, buy the ticket for the ride at the hotel, party in Ensenada for a few hours, hitch a ride back to TJ with a random bus, and then cross back over the border again.

Being this poorly organized, there are plenty of things that can go wrong. One very realistic scenario is that I travel to TJ only to return to SD for the failure of finding a bus to TJ to accommodate me.

I am planning on doing this alone. But I invite others to join me. If you like your future to be pre-planned and predictable, this is not for you. But if you don't mind some adventure and uncertainty in your life, and happily accept the prospect of possible failure - and want try to this fantastic ride - ping me.

•  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2012

Sigurd:Just got this crazy idea that I will try to do this ride again - it'll be my third time - next Saturday...
    If you're heading down for Cuatro de Mayo (Paseo de Todos), I'd bet you'd find a ride to Rosarito that night OR in the morning. Just a thought!
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2012

What's with the poster this time? Cartoonish big noses, sombreros and mustaches? I liked the past few, but this one is awful. Still, I do love the ride and am bummed to be out of town for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2012

Forget everything I said in my earlier post - I have figured out how to become more organized and to get the tickets for bus and ride in advance.

The price for the bus (TJ -> Rosarito in the morning, Ensenada -> TJ in the afternoon) and ride itself is USD 50. In order to make it to the bus, we need to arrive in TJ no later than 0630.

I am planning on picking up a ticket for myself this Wednesday. If anybody else wants to go, I can pick up a ticket for them, too. Ping me if you want a ticket - prepay by Paypal preferred.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2012

Sigurd:Forget everything I said in my earlier post - I have figured out how to become more organized and to get the tickets for bus and ride in advance.

The price for the bus (TJ -> Rosarito in the morning, Ensenada -> TJ in the afternoon) and ride itself is USD 50. In order to make it to the bus, we need to arrive in TJ no later than 0630.

I am planning on picking up a ticket for myself this Wednesday. If anybody else wants to go, I can pick up a ticket for them, too. Ping me if you want a ticket - prepay by Paypal preferred.
    Are you planning on driving, riding, or taking the trolley to the border and back?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012

To all interested - a reminder that if you want me to pick up bus/ride tickets for you, I need to know and be PayPal-ed by midnight tonight.

svelocity:Are you planning on driving, riding, or taking the trolley to the border and back?
    I need to be across the border and into TJ at 0630, so I am not planning to ride to and from the border - haven't decided exactly how to get there yet.

If anybody wants to ride to the border, we could meet up at the north-side border crossing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

Sigurd:To all interested - a reminder that if you want me to pick up bus/ride tickets for you, I need to know and be PayPal-ed by midnight tonight.

svelocity:Are you planning on driving, riding, or taking the trolley to the border and back?
    I need to be across the border and into TJ at 0630, so I am not planning to ride to and from the border - haven't decided exactly how to get there yet.

If anybody wants to ride to the border, we could meet up at the north-side border crossing.

Tempted. A ride down would make it a nice century. I will get back to you prior to the deadline.
    • CommentAuthorlisi
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012 edited

I think I will be able to make it as well! :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

Hans' idea of staying after Paseo is the easiest. The trolley is running early enough to cross before 630 too.
    http://www.sdmts.com/mtscr/TrolleyTT.aspx?r=510&d=South&tod=sat
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012

For those who like to plan ahead - the next Rosarito - Ensenada ride is September 29th.
    • CommentAuthorpauisanoun
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2014

Ok, thanks, @Sigurd. I did look through their site to find group travel info for SD participants, but did not find anything, so I thought I would try this post. I'll ask around some more.