Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2011

The recent (recurring) talk about music, in this case Tom Waits, prompted me to start this thread.

I have a very diverse taste in music and usually pick a genre or artist according to my mood or the task at hand. Or sometimes I wake up with a tune in my head and no rest until I pull it and listen to it. Bet you know the feeling.

So in this thread please list what's stuck in your head at the moment (for better or for worse).

Today I started off on Judas Priest's "Run of the mill". Imho one of the greatest rock ballads ever.

• CommentAuthorSam

This may be a groan worthy one...but, I love the bass.

I've been missing Philadelphia lately and my friends there. My Philly song is Earth, Wind & Fire's The Way of the World as it is the song that was playing in the cab I was in over 11 years ago. It was around 3 in the morning, I was horribly lost in the city and didn't know how to get back home in the suburbs. And for the first time in years, I felt at home and wanted to move to Philly immediately. At night the city was so crazy beautiful. A week later I met the person who would eventually become my spouse...

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

I went to college in West Philly in the late 1970's and married a local a few years later. Used to ride the river drives 3x on training rides, or head up to the mainline for some climbs.

Nice song.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

• CommentAuthorrandomjive

I've been digging their sound a lot lately... I love the banjo. I can't play it, but I do play the ukelele so I think I'm going to pick up a banjolele.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2011 edited

The original bad boys of British R&B were proud to be hated by parents more than the Rolling Stones. In fact guitarist Dick Taylor was the Stones' original bass player before Bill Wyman.
    • CommentAuthorthom

Sun Kil Moon has been my soundtrack for the last two weeks.

• CommentAuthorHMeins

Another British R&B fave from the early '60s. I love the mixing of major and minor keys.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

• CommentAuthorHMeins

Thanks, t.e.d! Reminds me of the time I was maced with the crowd waiting to get into the PIL show in Pasadena on Nov. 7, 1982. By the time we finally got inside, the opening band Savage Republic had already finished their set. Halfway through PIL's set my friend Danimal Dean climbed up onto the speaker tower while guards tried to pull him down. Before they could reach him he performed the most radical stage dive I have ever seen and landed on the floor in front of the stage. That was one of the last times I ever saw him. The next summer he and a friend were walking along the railroad tracks in Leucadia. The discussion turned to what constituted "hard core" punk. As a southbound train approached at speed his last words were: "You wanna see core? I'll show you core!" He threw himself in front of the train. The friend found his mohawked head about 200 meters from his body.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

I've had the line 'Take only what you need from it' on my mind for several days now...
    -I'm keeping myself in check, in more ways than one-

I had never seen the video, though... yikes!

• CommentAuthorgavilan

I like the opening lines on ^^:

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster...

and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. -Mark Twain
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

The "Nederbeat" movement paralleled the mid-'60s British R&B of the Pretty Things, Rolling Stones, Downliners Sect, and Yardbirds and included Dutch bands such as Q65 who never really got the American vocal sound quite right, but were enjoyable in their own way nonetheless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

* wpstoll
    * CommentTime4 hours ago

Thanks, t.e.d! Reminds me of the time I was maced with the crowd waiting to get into the PIL show in Pasadena on Nov. 7, 1982

Perkins Palace! The Jam played what I think was one of their last US shows there in '82, also. I missed that one due to boot camp, but saw one of the first time Johnny did Pistols songs with PiL at the Olympic in '84. Suicidal kids stage diving from huge stacks in an old gladiators arena.

More nostalgia tonight at the Casbah.
    • CommentAuthorSam

gavilan:I've had the line 'Take only what you need from it' on my mind for several days now...
    -I'm keeping myself in check, in more ways than one-

I had never seen the video, though... yikes!

That's one of my fav. tracks by MGMT too! I love the video too, such an adorable kid!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips

Watched "Stranger Than Fiction" last week and the song "Whole Wide World" stuck with me. A fun song with simple chords.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

ok.... all week long i have had, among many, these two songs stuck in my head... first song is a remix of three awesome Pigface songs all rolled up into one badass burrito of radness! featuring OhGr from Skinny Puppy & Curse Mackey from Evil Mothers...

and... of course, the BEST american punk band of all time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Sam:Earth, Wind & Fire's The Way of the World
    I love EW&F: I still remember clearly the day I heard "Fantasy" for the first time (1978 or so?) -- I couldn't believe my ears; it was a revelation in "wall of sound" orchestration and harmony.

I still often put in an EW&F song as the "seed" in Pandora (or a Philly soul artist such as MFSB, Salsoul Orchestra, Billy Paul, McFadden&Whitehead), and just sit back to enjoy some sweet tunes!
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

• CommentAuthorWilliam.

PIL, DK, MGMT, FLOBOTS... it's like some of you are in my HEAD.:face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

If you ever get a chance, get Japancakes full cover of Loveless, wait for nightfall, and ride your favorite route. Magical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorShapps

This ones been stuck in my head last couple weeks

• CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2011 edited

I love this thread as I'm learning about artists I never really listened to or have never heard of.

batmick: I listened to the Judas Priest track. Loved it! I should listen to Judas Priest as I don't think I have before.

My fav. mush piece is this one by Jeff Beck, I never get tired of listening to it.

P.S. wpstoll: The first two years of my relationship with my SO was spent listening to VU and Lou Reed. And also the Pixies. So I always have very fond memories when I listen to VU. One of my fav tracks is Temptation Inside your heart. I think that is a Lou Reed track...not sure.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

That's a great one! In fact that whole album is fine! I was really into cars back then and it was/is fab driving music. I saw him at the Sports Arena in Sept. '76 with Jan Hammer on keys. They were fantastic! Opened for Aerosmith, whose sound sucked in comparison. Aerosmith were much better in '75, same venue. Go figure. Must have been a different sound man.

Here's Jeff in 1965 with the Yardbirds doing a Bo Diddley standard on Shindig. There is a great harp/guitar duel between him and the late great Keith Relf. Even then Beck was an innovator, way ahead of this time. I also love the go-go girls. All the little girls at La Jolla Elementary wanted to look like this. I was in third grade and hot for Beethoven. My friends didn't get it. They still don't!

It's notable that they shared a bill with The Pretty Things and underrated soul singer Gloria Jones, whose signature song was the original version of "Tainted Love."

Below the YouTube frame is a link to the Yardbirds playing "For Your Love" with Beck on acoustic 12 string.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

Good music.

Sam --> I really like that song from E,W&F!

My best friend sent me this song today. We've had a rough time lately.

• CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2011

More doomtree. Perhaps rap gets a bad...rap. These guys can lay it down.

• CommentAuthorslobiker

• CommentAuthorslobiker

Ami at Bar Pink includes this in the mix tape. Highly reminiscent of Jerry Byrd and the gal at the 40 second mark is fun to look at :face-angel:

He concluded his career in his native Argentina, but Oscar Aleman was a contemporary of the great Django Reinhardt in Paris before the war. IMHO, I think he swung it even more than the exalted one. This is his seminal work. One of the finest swing guitarists who ever lived... and that's not solely my humble opinion but the consensus of most guitarists who study this era. :serious holier-than-thou face:
    • CommentAuthorslobiker

gavilan:I like the opening lines on ^^:

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster...

and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. -Mark Twain

Mark Twain also said: if you took all the economists in the world and laid them end to end, they still would never reach a conclusion.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2011

And that brings us to the catty Dorothy Parker quote:

"If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end, (pregnant pause) I wouldn't be a bit surprised."

Another of her zingers:

"You don't want to be the town drunk, dear. Not in Manhattan."

And one more from Mark Twain's "Following the Equator:"

"Satan (impatiently) to New Comer. The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous."

Thanks for the Oscar Aleman, Slo. Absolutely supermurgatroyd!
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

• CommentAuthort.e.d

+1 for Fugazi.

"this Malkmus idiot is a complete songwriting genius."
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

This turned out even better than I expected. Thanks for all the tunes! Guess I have a lot of downloading to do...

Today I woke up with Midnight Oil in my head. Been listening to it all morning. I saw the Oils several times in my younger years back in Germany and those are some of the best memories. Bummer Peter Garrett went into politics but I guess it was inevitable...

E-Beat is one of the lesser know songs by the Oils but I get goose bumps every time I hear it.

• CommentAuthorSam

Word has gotten out that I will listen to pretty much anything and that I like a lot of different types music (like many others here), so a coworker has been bugging me for weeks now to listen to this British musician who sings Vietnamese songs.

• CommentAuthorslobiker

Shapps (Bryan):This ones been stuck in my head last couple weeks [Iron & Wine - Boy with a Coin]

I knew I'd watched that scene before:

• CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2011

Speaking of Iron and Wine, this is my favorite cover ever. Appropriate for today's weather as well.

• CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2011

Usually a Modest Mouse song running through my head on the way to work...Polar Opposites, lately...
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2011 edited

Das Rascist's You Oughta Know. I missed them when they were in town a few weeks ago. I LOVE their sense of humor.

• CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011

The Castaways were from Minneapolis. The dancer must be cold!
    • CommentAuthorslobiker

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember those guys!! That tune was one of my favorites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

HA! had Fugazi in my head today & then i saw the post from wpstoll & t.e.d.... i get this song in my head every few weeks, for a few weeks. and i still LOVE it! got this tape when i was like 13 years old...
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011

That's my favorite Fugazi album. Here's one from a three song 7" EP I have:

•  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011 edited

I get confused every time I hear the "Fugazi" name. To me it is the title of one of the greatest albums of prog-rock by one of the leading groups of that genre.

Not many people here know Marillion but you should try it. Here's the "Fugazi" track of the album by the same name.

The lead singer then was called "Fish", another source of confusion I found out in conversations with people here. He had a pretty good solo album (Vigil in a wilderness of mirrors) after he split from Marillion.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

Saw these guys get back together for a couple of shows in Solana Beach in the late '80s. They were still great!
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

In my opinion, the second best PIL song..ever:

• CommentAuthorWilliam.

The best one being Albatross
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2011 edited

No one here get urges to listen to the really dead? I love Franz Liszt and never get tired of his famous Liebesträume No. 3 which I listen on a loop.

Lisztomania!

(And I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks Lang Lang is hysterical to watch. I don't really get all the hifalutin gestures and what not, but he certainly makes me chuckle!)
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2011

Happy Friday.

• CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2011

I'm in a trailertrashrockabillyrock mood the last few days. This here song makes you want to stand up and sprint as if you could actually break a chain..

I almost feel guilty for liking it.