Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2011 edited

Please use this thread to alert members about stolen bicycles instead of opening a new thread.

Related Threads: Locked up, Lock it up, and Bike Theft Trends

Please keep an eye out for my Palo Alto touring bike. It was stolen out of my garage in the last two days. It was my commuting bike too. It will likely be spray painted if it does pop up somewhere. It had all my favorite commuting bags including my nice handlebar bag (not the same bag in the photo. :face-crying:

• CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2011

Yikes! Not good at all. Serial no?
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Man, that sucks. Sorry Sky. I will watch both mesas like a hawk.

Good luck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorShapps

Really sorry to hear, Sky. I'm in your next of the woods and will keep an eye out for it rolling around.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Think it was someone from your neighborhood? Do you get a lot of passer-by traffic, or are you fairly secluded?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

It's in kind of a secluded area due to the street configuration (only one way in, one way out, even on foot you have to go to Genesee to get in or out) but it is still Clairemont, and close to Balboa & Genesee, and there is a fair amount of crime in the area. The large apartment complex next to this area is kind of notorious. There seems to be as much or more crime here as when I lived near 28th & A.

Sky, did you leave your garage door open or did they break in?

If they don't paint it, it should be easy to spot if seen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

That's terrible news!

That frame is so rare, that it will be extremely tricky to sell as is: The moment somebody puts it up on CL or eBay, red flags will pop up right left and center. I guess the seller needs to initially promote is as a "rare hand-built frame", and then divulge the make to the purported buyer once he feels comfortable that he is for real.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

That is, if they even realize what they got... If they don't, and just flip it for an absurdly low amount, the chances of recovery go way down. Let's hope they try and get the most they can from it.
    Sorry to hear about that Sky...
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Thanks for looking everybody. Even if it get's spray painted so long as the racks are on there you'll spot it. The current configuration is the same as in my C&O canal tour. This setup is basically the same but with a Surly touring front rack and nice handlebar bag

• CommentAuthorFauxSheezy

Awwwww man I am SO sorry to hear this. What a shitty week for bikers! Ill keep my eye out around town.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2011

Bike thieves and child molesters. Worst kind of scum.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

I am so sorry to hear this, Sky. :(
    Will keep my eyes open.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

eyes wide open for ya... sorry to hear this. im sure someone will spot it though.
    • CommentAuthorfredrrari
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2011

hey hi,

My bike was stolen this morning, I left it in its normal place here inside the fenced parking lot of the apartment complex in Golden Hill-Sherman heights-Downtown area, with my other old bike that its still there. Its a beat up brown SR bicycle and it was my commuter It has a VELO CULT sticker in the downtube and an southpark and equality stickers in the seat tube. If you happen to see it please contact me

619 800-6807 leave a message if i don't answer, thank you all.

fredrrari@hotmail.com

• CommentAuthorfredrrari
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2011 edited

another angle

I hope I can find it, its my daily commuter...

it doesn't show but the head tube has the SR label on it.

• CommentAuthort.e.d

Sorry to hear that. I live in that area and I'll be sure to keep my eyes out. Where exactly was it stolen from?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

eyes wide open... sucks to hear man :( good luck
    • CommentAuthorfredrrari

t.e.d:Sorry to hear that. I live in that area and I'll be sure to keep my eyes out. Where exactly was it stolen from?

thank you everyone, it was stolen in 28th st.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2011

:face-sad:
    I guess it happens even in Copenhagen!

My Bike was Stolen!
    http://www.copenhagenize.com/2011/05/my-bike-was-stolen.html

The only bikes I've had stolen were both bought brand new. A '78 Motobecane Super Mirage that was my only form of transportation as a college student and working in the shipyards, and a really nice '83 Fuji Opus III that I rode as a road tourer/trainer. The Fuji was taken out of my locked garage that was broken in to. I was heart broken both times! Now I just do the best I can off of Craig's List and am more watchful and cautious.

Old Knotty Buoy
    :face-sad:
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2011

My friend, Heather's bike was stolen between 11-noon today. Locked to the fence by the 12th street trolley stop. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as she LOVES this bike, being her daily transport from NoPark to Downtown every day.
    Specialized Sirrus Comp
    Medium frame
    Rear rack
    Bar mounted computer and NiteRider
    Helmet is white with flowers.
    Any info? Reach her at milnehea@gmail.com
    Thanks!
    Here's a shot so you can see what the frameset looks like. It has hairpin shaped rear stays, and isolation absorbing pucks in the forks (as identifying features of these bikes)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2011

:face-sad: my eyes will be peeled...
    • CommentAuthorSDAirBrush
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011

AWW MAN THATS BS (& not in the bike & social kinda way) That is a good bike! One thing I remember about that bike was in the forks there was like a clear rubber or plastic bushing built into it about half way down. Heather I will keep my eyes open in the Clairemont/Kearny Mesa/Linda Vista Area. Later
    Sorry to hear about Heather's bike. Her bike was dialed in. So does anybody have a bike to loan to her?
    Copenhagenize's founder Mikael's Bullit cargo bike was stolen and found. Interesting story
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011 edited

Here's an interesting anti-theft product:

http://www.gpstrackthis.com/GPSTrack/Products.jsp

Looks like a standard red blinky. It even is a blinky. It's also a GPS with cell connectivity that can send SMS messages with GPS coordinates when the bike vibrates because someone is messing with it. Get a pay-as-you-go SIM card.

I would tend to worry that people might just steal the blinky and leave the bike.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011

$175 for that. Might be worth it if it really did what it says and your bike was worth quite a bit. Hunting down the thief might be fun too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011

If it starts sending SMS as soon as they start messing with the bike, you might even catch them in the act if you're nearby.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011

Just need one that also lets the air out of the tire.
    These guys came up with a interesting way to stop a bike thief...

•  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

HA! those guys are like super hero's! :face-devil-grin: is there some kinda bat signal we can light up to get these guys here in SD?
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Just keep an ear out for where bikes are getting stolen. I haven't heard of any repeat locations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

sykkelspruce:These guys came up with a interesting way to stop a bike thief...
    Interesting....but dangerous, illegal and really, really time consuming.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

billd:
    sykkelspruce:These guys came up with a interesting way to stop a bike thief...
    Interesting....but dangerous, illegal and really, really time consuming.

Oh... but how rewarding:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorfredrrari
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2011

4 bikes have been stolen in the last year from inside the parking lot of the continuing education school of centre city in A and park blvd. Its hell there, hard to know who is.
    Got bored and started looking around online after reading billd's post about the gps. Seems like there are quite a few real time micro gps units out there between $100-$200. They do the text thing and work with google maps. Not sure if they would all fit in a frame but likely under a brooks without being noticed plus it would be easier to recharge that way. One I saw had an audio function too which is kinda cool but likely completely useless in a stolen bike type situation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2011

If there's one small enough to drop into the seat tube of my bike I'd be stoked. Not sure if that would interfere with the signal though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2011

Metal would overly distort, if not completely kill, the GPS signal with today's technology. So unless you had a high-gain antenna protruding through the frame somewhere to daylight, keeping a GPS receiver covertly inside the frame would not work.

And even if one could figure out a way to hide a GPSR on a bike, how would one go about retrieving one's bike? Let me give an example: You have successfully tracked your bike to a multi-unit apartment complex in some ultra-seedy neighborhood: What do you do - break into all the apartments like some kind of Rambo to collect your bike?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2011

Can't you get LoJack for bikes? I know they make small enough units to put into construction machinery etc.. And with those you put the enforcement/retrieval job with the pros.
    Seems like a few of them could fit in the seat tube but you guys are probably right and it wouldn't work very well. Some are made to attach to the bottom of cars I guess so maybe those would work better but probably too big to get down a tube. And I guess if it was able to track it I wouldn't say start busting into peoples houses but you would probably have to hang around there and see if it popped up or best case it's just in the apartment complex leaned up on something and you can just go "steal" it back.

So gps is probably not a great option but I think someone suggested just a small sticker that says "GPS anti-theft tracking equipped" or something that may be a deterrent or may not.

They have a lojack system called ReuniteIT for mp3 players, cameras, etc but no idea what that costs.
    Yeah looks like they have a lojack for bikes but it is just a sticker and having it registered with the National Bike Registry. $10 for one bike for 10 years or $25 for a family pack of 5 bikes. I guess this would only work out if the cops found your bike and it wasn't just sold on CL.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011

Please post to this thread to alert members about stolen bicycles instead of opening new threads.
    That is indicated on post number 1. Perhaps we can make this thread a "Sticky" to make it more visible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2011

• CommentAuthorBre
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2011

My red 1981 Miyata 210 was stolen from behind my house near 35th and University last night. Left it out to oil the chain and forgot about it for a bit. Came back and it was gone.

miyata

The bike wasn't worth a million bucks, but it's been my daily commuter five days a week for a year. Pretty bummed about driving the Hyundai today. I'm in the market for a $200 road mixte fit for someone around 5'6 if you hear of one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

:face-sad: that sucks! i will keep an eye out for it... i dont see many of those around so it should be easy to spot. is it still the same as in the pic, or is that an old one?
    • CommentAuthorBre

Exactly the one in the pic. Red frame, red tires, black cables/seat/tape. Thanks for keeping an eye out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2011 edited

Bummer. I'll keep an eye out. The red tires help it stick out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011

My friend's bike just got stolen. Market St. and 11th St downtown. Powder blue Miyata road bike with matching electrical tape on the handlebars. White "Miyata" letters on the down tube. No pics since she just got it. Guy who stole it is white male, dirty blonde with goatee, wearing orange hoodie. Looped back around 10th St, heading east on G St. I've been checking Transit Center for the last 30 minutes. Might be getting on trolley. Police report to follow.