Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorChad
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2012

Thanks guys, registered my bike on Stolen Bike Registry.
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012

• CommentAuthorModerator
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2012

Be on the look out for this stolen bike.
    dansker:Hey fellow cyclists, I fell victim tonight to something too many of us fall victim to -- my bike got stolen from right in front of Lestat's coffee shop on Adams Ave, locked to a street sign. They cut through the cable lock sometime during the hour I was inside reading. I'm not holding out a ton of hope I'll get it back, but if you happen to see it, or see it on Craigslist for sale or whatever, I'd appreciate a heads-up. It's an old Gary Fisher Cake 3, full-suspension mountain bile that I added beach cruiser handlebars and a beach cruiser seat to. Front and rear disk brakes. See picture, and thanks!

Stolen Gary Fisher Cake 3
    • CommentAuthorJgrody
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012

STOLEN BIKE ALERT! My surly cross check was just stolen from my parents back yard in point loma. It's brown with pink housing, green chris king headset with green stack, salsa woodchipper bars, black tape, dura ace crank ultegra octalink bb, campi front Der, forte carbon r Der, sram cassette, hand built open pro ultegra wheels, conti 42 cross king tires, and a wtb speed v saddle. If you see it do whatever you can to get it! 6198655572
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

•  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012 edited

That is definitely it.
    I called. he's on it.
    He should photograph the seller and bomb his face all over. I hope he gets it back. Bike thiefs are the scum of the earth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

I called him too. Hope he gets that f&%^

Let us know how it goes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Oh, wouldn't it be FUN to have a look at that bike in a small group?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins

Blanket party!
    • CommentAuthorJgrody

So, here is how it went down. Thanks to you guys. I got like 5 phone calls about the craigslist post so i got on it, called the cops, sat on hold for close to 20 minutes, all the while emailing this guy from numerous emails. He told me to meed him at the mac deezies on park and A, so me and the guys at the shop hopped in the truck and mobbed down there. I walked around looking for the guy and my bike with no luck and just as i was getting back in the car i saw him so i approached him asked if i could test ride the bike, so i hopped on clipped in (because i was wearing my bike shoes and my CB candys were on there!) rode around in a circle and just as i was turning around my two buddy's in the truck rolled in between us and I rode as fast as i could through downtown with my bike, which he had crashed and fucked up both wheels disconnected the brakes and had the seat pushed so far down the clamp was not working any more! so I got my bike back!!!!!! Thanks everyone!And thanks to Sky for having this all set up for the community!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

speaks for itself :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins

"I love it when a plan comes together!"
    Awesome result. Only thing that could have made it better is if the cops had responded in a timely manner to arrest those scoundrels.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012 edited

Thats awesome. Stoked you got your 12 pound ram horn bike back.
    The ad has STOLEN written all over it. A 12 lb Surly for $175? Yeah, right!

batmick:I think it was just listed on CL http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/2977108999.html
    Glad it all worked out.
    Geoff Davis' bike was stolen not too long ago in OB

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012 edited

markphilips:Geoff Davis' bike was stolen not too long ago in OB

Any details about it - frame, etc. - to help ID it?

Pretty eye-catching bike, so it shouldn't be too hard to spot if it comes up on SD CL.

Lets see - repaint, single chainring, disc brake, bar-ends?
    • CommentAuthorlisi
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012

^ Specs on Geoff's bike that was stolen - It's a Traitor brand, frame model is the Ruben. 1x9 setup with a Paul Chain Keeper. Keep an eye out!
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012 edited

Jgrody:So, here is how it went down. Thanks to you guys. I got like 5 phone calls about the craigslist post so i got on it, called the cops, sat on hold for close to 20 minutes, all the while emailing this guy from numerous emails. He told me to meed him at the mac deezies on park and A, so me and the guys at the shop hopped in the truck and mobbed down there. I walked around looking for the guy and my bike with no luck and just as i was getting back in the car i saw him so i approached him asked if i could test ride the bike, so i hopped on clipped in (because i was wearing my bike shoes and my CB candys were on there!) rode around in a circle and just as i was turning around my two buddy's in the truck rolled in between us and I rode as fast as i could through downtown with my bike, which he had crashed and fucked up both wheels disconnected the brakes and had the seat pushed so far down the clamp was not working any more! so I got my bike back!!!!!! Thanks everyone!And thanks to Sky for having this all set up for the community!

Wow, that is great that you got your bike back!!! McLovin and I were just talking about a similar case on the MTB forum, where the bike was located on craigslist (San Francisco) but the real owner was notified and managed to set up a stint to get her bike back. Police were sort of helpful (towards the end, since they did catch the thieves) but it was really her and her cycling buddies who made it happen...
    Linky: Dirt Treaders Stolen Bike Thread

markphilips:Geoff Davis' bike was stolen not too long ago in OB

Cool bike. Hope it is found!
    • CommentAuthorModerator
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2012

Moved this here.

emkleb:Hi everyone.

I am new to posting to this forum, but I have been watching for some time. I am an avid cyclist with three bikes (road, mtb, bar bike) and I love riding around San Diego. One of the facts of life around here is you need to *sometimes* drive your bike to hit the trails, get some good, long hills or just take a ride. My beloved buick was the carrier of my bikes on these adventures until last night. My Yakima racks were stolen off the roof of my car in Point Loma with some damage, but not as much as you'd expect from someone trying to get a LOCKED roof rack off a car.

I talked to the guys at Rack-It and they said that there were a bunch of thefts of Yakima bike racks in North Park in the last 6 months. I called Yakima and they said that it is possible to get their racks off cars without keys (they design them that way so people don't wreak the cars when they steal the racks). I also filed a police report and made a claim with my insurance.

Has anyone heard of this problem here in San Diego in the last 6 months? Anyone have experience with better, more secure roof rack systems? advice? I've already started watching CL.

What was stolen:
    -Q-towers (x4)
    -cross bars (x2)
    -Viper bike rack
    -Raptor bike rack
    -7 barrel locks...
    -Farring
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2012

Mine were stolen in August of last year. Damage to my insured car was $1,500. The thieves were so quick and stealthy that I wasn't awakened, even though the car was parked on the street right in front of my bedroom window. I lost four Q towers, two crossbars, three copperhead tracks, four wheel forks, and a fairing. I'm planning to buy new equipment next week so that I can take several bikes with me to the Tour of California. This time I plan to buy a cable of the proper length to pass over the rack components and through the back door windows, locking inside the car, so that thieves can't just quickly lift the rack off the roof. I am also not going to park on the street in front of my house anymore, but up the driveway with motion sensor lights and security cameras.
    • CommentAuthorjacobk
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2012

My girlfriend and I also had our yakima rack system stolen off our car when we were living back east. Instead of replacing it, we ended up installing a hitch on her car and getting a swagman hitch rack. It's a lot easier and quicker to take off and put on, and it can fold up and live in the back of the car when we're not using it.
    Complete Yakima Roof Bike w/ Rack 4 carriers on Craig's List

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/3030375378.html
    My fiance's bike was stolen out of our garage. Maybe this morning. We just came home right now and it was gone. The bike is a blue 2007 Jamis Xenith Comp (Femme), size 48. Shimano 105 components and Ultegra rear derailer. Speedplay pedals and a Terry Butterfly Saddle.

Photobucket
    Please call me at 518-810-1161 if you have any info on this. Thanks everyone!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012

i will keep an eye out... hopefully you get it back asap!
    • CommentAuthorJSnook
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012

Don't forget to check jaxed - it's a good way to scan multiple locations and sites in one shot : http://bike.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/bike.cgi

I took a look and didn't see it yet but I'll keep an eye open.
    Thanks guys...no sign of it yet. I'll keep checking craigslist in the surrounding regions and now this jaxed website too. Hope it turns up somewhere. Thanks for the help.
    A co-workers bike was stolen last night(San Marcos) from their porch, It's only a Roadmaster Mt. Fury, but it's his bike none the less. It was stolen from near the intersection of East Mission road and Woodland Parkway. It has a cheapo Bell front light. The bike looks like this:

Contact me if you see it. I'll keep my eyes open.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2012

Brother in law had his bike stolen at gunpoint in Oakland. Does anybody know of a forum similar to this in the Bay Area where he can post this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2012

ShadyGaga:Brother in law had his bike stolen at gunpoint in Oakland. Does anybody know of a forum similar to this in the Bay Area where he can post this?

I'd try the East Bay Bicycle Coalition. They apparently have a stolen bike list like this listserve - http://www.ebbc.org/?q=theft_prevention Not sure how up to date it is...
    Thanks Kathy. I passed the info along. I checked the site--it does seem to be current, but the format doesn't look very user-friendly to me because it doesn't have details or dates. Better than nothing, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012 edited

I was forwarded the below message from the Santa Cruz Police Department this morning - I am not sure which of these findings that surprised me the most:

1) That a police department has a blog,
    2) that a police department investigates bike thefts, or
    3) that a police department actually tries to reunite presumed stolen bikes with its rightful owners!

Kudos to SCPD!

SDPD - perhaps something you want to look into? You know; "Protect and Serve" and all that!

MONDAY, JULY 16, 2012
    SCPD Recovers 10 Bikes - Wants to Reunite Owners with Them
    The Santa Cruz Police Department has recovered ten bikes that were believed to have been stolen in the last month. The bikes were recovered during various theft investigations. Investigators are in the process of inventoring the bikes but wanted to get the basic information out there in case the public could identify their missing bike.

If you believe one of these bikes is yours, you will be asked to provide proof of serial numbers, sales receipts, specific descriptions (about damage etc) regarding the bikes to prove they are yours. Referencing a police report number for investigators would also be preferred.

Please contact Sgt. Perry at 831.420.5820 to identify your bike.

Ironhorse - Comp - Black
    Kona - Dew City - Black
    Cruiser (unknown) Yellow
    Scwhinn - Cruiser - Red
    Trek - 6000
    Scott - Blue and White
    Felt - Black
    Giant - Black
    Gary Gisher - Black
    Trek - 7300 - Blue
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012

here is a great story about a local bike recovery i just came across on FB... kinda surprised i didn't hear about this till now. we all know these folks! ...sweet sweet justice!
    http://www.fyxation.com/blog/stolen-bike-recovered
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins

The story has been embellished somewhat over the past couple of years. Here's what I learned on the day it happened:

Two thieves walked into AAB and looked around. When no one was looking they grabbed a customer's $10,000 ride and ran out the door with it. Greg Burchell and Andrew Lee were in hot pursuit as the thieves ran west on Adams Avenue. Greg tackled one of them. As they fought, the other thief managed to escape with the bike.

The next day one of them brought the bike into Thomas Bikes in South Park and wanted to sell it for $1,000. The shop worker told him they didn't consign used bikes, to take it over to Justin Beope's shop a couple of blocks away. Justin was suspicious at the asking price, went online and found out the bike had been stolen. He pretended to have a buyer for the bike and called Thomas Bikes. He got shop owner SDPD Officer Don Albright on the line and told him to expect the thief in a few minutes. He told the thief that Thomas Bikes had a buyer for the bike with $1,000 cash in hand. The thief went back to Thomas Bikes, was placed under arrest and held at gunpoint until officers arrived to transport him. That's where the firearm aspect came in. The thieves were not armed.

It's amazing how stories develop a life of their own, like playing "telephone."
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

o wow... i didn't even notice the date on the article... thought it was a recent thing. still pretty funny though!
    Hey all,
    My friend's red cannondale was stolen today in Hillcrest while locked up in front of Herbin Acupuncture. Can you keep you eye out for it? Thank you. Her email is lis8517@gmail.com.
    Thank you. Hopefully it shows up somewhere....

Red Cannondale stolen in Hillcrest on Augst 15th.
    • CommentAuthorkprae
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2012 edited

Hi, my white 2004 Klein Aura X was stolen off my front porch August 29th, 2012. Please call 6*1*9*8*0*4*3*2*3*9 with any information or leads. Thanks!
    The thief posted it on craigslist: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/3237740624.html

klein aura x road bike
    • CommentAuthorjacobk
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2012

kprae:Hi, my white 2004 Klein Aura X was stolen off my front porch August 29th, 2012. Please call 6*1*9*8*0*4*3*2*3*9 with any information or leads. Thanks!
    The thief posted it on craigslist: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/3237740624.html

klein aura x road bike

That sucks. It looks like he posted his name and cell phone number in the ad, which is a pretty good lead.. did you report this to the police? Did you text him to try and get any more info?
    • CommentAuthorJSnook
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2012

Looks pretty much like a lock to be your bike despite no pics. The fact they are posting other commonly "hot" items like iPhone, etc in the same ad speaks volumes. If you have the serial number call cops, set up a buy with the dirtbag and have the cops meet you there. If you don't have the serial number the police may be less willing to assist you as it will be hard to prove it's your bike but you can always try.
    • CommentAuthorkprae
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2012

Thief posted a new craigslist ad, with a different phone number. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/3253039926.html
    Looks like he has some other bikes as well. The guy confirmed it is my size, color and even described the attachments/accessories I had on it at the time (headlight mount, etc.) so I'm pretty sure it's my bike. I filed a police report and gave them the serial number.
    • CommentAuthorJSnook
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2012 edited

kprae:Thief posted a new craigslist ad, with a different phone number. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/3253039926.html
    Looks like he has some other bikes as well. The guy confirmed it is my size, color and even described the attachments/accessories I had on it at the time (headlight mount, etc.) so I'm pretty sure it's my bike. I filed a police report and gave them the serial number.

Set up a sting. I've read lots of stories where someone has done this. There's a story on a local mountain bike forum where a gal set up a buy at the Old Town transit center. The cops were waiting, and after she met the thief and verified it was her bike her boyfriend or someone texted the police, who swooped in and arrested the thieves. You won't likely get your bike back unless you set up a buy.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2012

Moderator:Be on the look out for this stolen bike.
    dansker:Hey fellow cyclists, I fell victim tonight to something too many of us fall victim to -- my bike got stolen from right in front of Lestat's coffee shop on Adams Ave, locked to a street sign. They cut through the cable lock sometime during the hour I was inside reading. I'm not holding out a ton of hope I'll get it back, but if you happen to see it, or see it on Craigslist for sale or whatever, I'd appreciate a heads-up. It's an old Gary Fisher Cake 3, full-suspension mountain bile that I added beach cruiser handlebars and a beach cruiser seat to. Front and rear disk brakes. See picture, and thanks!

Stolen Gary Fisher Cake 3

Longshot, but this might be a lead:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/3269982024.html
    I'll admit I was a bit complacent, but was still shocked to have my cable-locked Diamondback Topanga mountain bike stolen from Loma Square in San Diego CA this morning. I just filed an online police report. I am complaining to the shopping center and its security company as well. I am incredibly annoyed and will have the whole story on my bike commuter blog shortly.

As an Ocean Beach resident and regular Point Loma shopper, I am familiar with the fact that there is a large homeless population in the area, and that leaving a bike UNLOCKED is an invitation to immediate theft. However, I cannot agree with the on-duty guard's assertion that the Loma Square central bike rack is an indefensible area and that LOCKING a bike to it during prime Saturday morning shopping hours constitutes negligent behavior.

Since another older, beat-up bike was unlocked at the bike rack when I returned to find my bike gone, I must assume that an opportunistic bum with bolt cutters swooped in to grab a nice commuter-equipped workhorse. Ironically enough I had wanted to call the police about a boltcutter-equipped bum at the Morena-LindaVista Trolley station at 5:30 AM earlier this week, but could not due to a cellphone battery failure.

I know if I or my boyfriend see this bike on the road, our version of justice may be considered harsh and unreasonable. You are not required to keep the same standards, but if you happen to see it I would appreciate a notice at the very least. alisonspencer70@yahoo.com

Previous photo link for my stolen 2009 dark blue Diamondback Topanga did not work so trying again. It has aftermarket disc brakes, seatpost, seat, clipless/convertible pedals,handlebar-mounted mirror, seatpost-mounted rack, lights, computer and front fender mount. Please keep an eye out and text me at 619-723-9596 with any hits. I suspect it is now a tweakermobile on the SD River Trail.
    Ali,

I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard to hear of anyone's rig getting snatched and especially one that was set up so nicely and used for daily commuting. I'll certainly keep an eye out as I cruz on Craig's List and keep an eye out in the beach areas and along the OB bike path. Good luck with the Police Report, it will help if someone spots the bike and you need to prove it's your's.

OKB
    My online police report just got approved...that and $1 will get me a cup of coffee. I rerouted my Sunday morning run with my dog to the river trail so that we could do a little surveillance. If it's being used rather than sold it probably got a rush paintjob, but it still has so many custom changes that it should be recognizable. I emailed all the local bikeshops I could think of with an alert. My primary local (Bernie's in OB) knows that bike well and now has a photo and description as a refresher. Now I have to start figuring out what to get as a permanent replacement!