Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2012 edited

“oh yeahhhhh”
    • CommentAuthorThe Ridge
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2012 edited

Hello everyone. My bike was stolen last week outside Claire De Lune in North Park on 11/20. It is a Cannondale XS800 cycloscross frame. Fatty Ultra headshock fork, 700 Velocity Chukker wheels (32 spokes on the front, 36 on the back), black Brook's B-17 saddle, Tectro brake levers with black rim tape, Truvativ crankset with two chain rings and a Topeak bag rack on the rear. There is a Vittoria Rubino tire on the front wheel and a Continental Gatorskin tire on the rear. Yes, this bike is freaking sweet and I'm probably never going to forgive myself for never getting a right and proper lock for this thing. I've been cruising around NP everyday with the hope of actually spotting it, and some extra eyes sure could help. Zach from Mission Hills Bike Shop recommended me to post in this forum, so here's hoping to for the best!

Here is the most recent photo of my bike:
    Cannondale XS800
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2012

The Ridge:Hello everyone. My bike was stolen last week outside Claire De Lune in North Park on 11/20. It is a Cannondale XS800 cycloscross frame. Fatty Ultra headshock fork, 700 Velocity Chukker wheels (32 spokes on the front, 36 on the back), black Brook's B-17 saddle, Tectro brake levers with black rim tape, Truvativ crankset with two chain rings and a Topeak bag rack on the rear. There is a Vittoria Rubino tire on the front wheel and a Continental Gatorskin tire on the rear. Yes, this bike is freaking sweet and I'm probably never going to forgive myself for never getting a right and proper lock for this thing. I've been cruising around NP everyday with the hope of actually spotting it, and some extra eyes sure could help. Zach from Mission Hills Bike Shop recommended me to post in this forum, so here's hoping to for the best!

Here is the most recent photo of my bike:
    Cannondale XS800
    Sorry about your bike and we will keep our collective eyes peeled.
    My custom Black road bike was stolen last weekend. Booooooo!!!!!

Can someone explain how I can add an image to this post. When I click on the img button it asks for URL.
    williamwatt11:My custom Black road bike was stolen last weekend. Booooooo!!!!!

Can someone explain how I can add an image to this post. When I click on the img button it asks for URL.

Use the photo bucket direct link url
    • CommentAuthorJgrody
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012

Hans:
    panoply:...I posted on Craigslist, too:
    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/3419778217.html
    Any other ideas?
    -Mike

Actually, not to be a pessimist (I really hope Kate gets her bike back), however posting a stolen bike alert on Craigslist almost guarantees that it will be taken out of town, or stripped for parts. A large percentage of stolen bikes end up on Craigslist, and thieves check the postings before they list, to figure a market value.
    One very effective way of getting the word out is to do a mass emailing with a current picture of the bike. Emails aren't public, and if the thief doesn't know people are looking for the bike, they get sloppy. The best thing going for you is the fuscia powdercoat. Highly desirable/identifiable.
    Best wishes -Hans

Sorry Hans, but I have gotten my bike stolen twice and i only got it back because of posting it on craigslist both times. So I strongly disagree with you. Most bike thieves have no idea what they took or the worth of it. They will sell about any bike for $100 on craigslist, swap meet or ocean cycles. Goodluck
    • CommentAuthorJgrody

Stolen Bike Alert! Full Carbon Scapin, Retro Derect drive train. Nitto track drops. Stolen from City Heights. Owner works at Mission Hills Bicycle Shop.
    • CommentAuthorJgrody

•  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012 edited

My friend Julianna's Pista was stolen in North Park. You may recognize it from the Hillcrest Whole Foods. (Look for the Swarm! sticker)
    Velocity wheels with gold velocity hub and bladed spokes

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012

Moved here on behalf of member falldownhard:

Stolen from my patio this morning,05 53cm bianchi pista concept. Velocity deep v wheel set, bladed spokes laced to gold velocity hubs. Gator skin tires on both wheels, deda drops wrapped in celeste bar tape. Sugino messenger cranks, thomson seat post, soma pedals and cages, bianchi seat and stem. I'd appreciate any and all help recovering this bike. Thank you for your time.

http://falldownhard.tumblr.com/image/38717036805

• CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2012

Received word about yet another stolen bike

I'm new to the area, and as a welcome I got my bike stolen. I'm hoping you might have some forums or contacts that might help me get it back. It's very distinctive (photo attached)

- Cannondale CAAD 9 48 cm
    - Lots of garish color mismatches, including:
    - White frame, Red lettering
    - One Black shifter, one Gray
    - Red front tire, Blue rear
    - Black large chainring, Gray small ring

Non color faux-pas:
    - White ISM Adamo Podium split-nose saddle
    - Skewer-mounted rack
    - Shimano SPD-SL pedals

Thanks for any assistance or advice!

~Robert
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013

Today we parked at old town trolley station parking lot on side rail around 2:30pm .Come back at 7pm to see chain cut and bikes gone:

Size 44 scattante yellow/ mainly grey with profile t2 aero bars

bessy

Size 58 red touring schwin with white fork (picture of it with cracked fork:

roger

any info email me rogerles at gmail.com
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2013

:-(

Damn. Sorry to hear, synthetic.
    • CommentAuthorallezCJ
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2013 edited

Hi all, My bike was stolen... last Friday 12-28-12
    Hillcrest/Northpark area, info as follows:

SPECIALIZED ALLEZ Steel Frame - c.1994
    - Size 54
    - Dark purplish-black frame
    - All Campy components
    - White bar tape, grey Look Keo pedals and Selle Italia SLR seat (when bike was stolen)

Thanks for keeping an eye out for me.
    • CommentAuthorallezCJ
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2013 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2013

My friend Shain's cross bike was snagged in front of Enigma/Avalon II on Adams today. I don't know the details, but here is the best pic he has right now:

• CommentAuthorsynthetic

I hear thieves come from TJ to sell the bikes there as cycling has increased in popularity. To bad we dont have border patrol checking those who leave the US
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic

• CommentAuthorallezCJ
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2013

Hey thanks synthetic. I noticed that too! but it's the 'epic' carbon fiber version. Appreciate the help nonetheless...
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2013 edited

JUST got my bike jumped in North Park. Please be on look out.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    VeloCafé:JUST for my bike jumped in North Park. Please be on look out.

Sorry to hear that dude. We'll keep an eye out.

http://tijuana.es.craigslist.com.mx/bia/
    or google for this in the search box - keyword1 keyword2 site:craigslist.org (like this)
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2013

Note: Tan paint (not white), bar-end shifters, disc brakes, black double kickstand (most are bare aluminum), and triple bottle mounts are some of the identifiers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjacobk

VeloCafé:JUST got my bike jumped in North Park. Please be on look out.

Ah! That sucks! What happened?

I'll keep an eye open for it. The GT triple triangle frame is another identifier that's pretty easy to spot too.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé

Totally my fault. Stopped on the street to talk with a friend I ran into. We were standing right there chatting and walked no more than 10' away to look at some stuff in a window. I just popped it up on the kickstand. Had back turned no more than 20-30 seconds cause I was keeping my eye on it. My friend was suddenly like dude you're bike, i turned and it was gone. We took off running because they couldn't have gone far at all in those couple of seconds but it wasn't to be seen.
    • CommentAuthorPetteri

No, totally the thief's fault!
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2013 edited

Petteri:No, totally the thief's fault!
    Absolutely.

The criminal is at fault here. Don't blame the victim -- not even if it's yourself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2013

VeloCafé:Totally my fault.
    Absolutely not - it is never the owner's fault if his bike is stolen. Hope you find it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjacobk
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2013

+1 definitely not your fault. It's crazy how bold bike thieves are getting, I wouldn't have expected anything like that either.

Just in case it pops up on craigslist, what's the model name?
    Hey guys.

I was referred here by some guys on reddit. Said you guys are good at helping to find stolen bikes.

I had my Giant Suede-E electric bike stolen. Found it missing from my South Park home around 5pm on March 31st. My brother claims to have seen it that morning, and my mother says she saw it the day before. I know it's not misplaced, I still have the battery and the key.

Again, it's a Giant Suede-E. It's in pretty good condition. Blue and Grey in color. It has no real identifiable marks, but it does have a Bell U-Lock latched to the rack (and before I'm yelled at, I DID have it locked, just with a steel cable combination lock instead. The U-Lock was too difficult to use effectively to lock it up at my house.) It'll be missing it's battery and the keys, both to the latch that holds the battery in place and to that U-Lock.

Any help finding it would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like this. I don't have any pictures of it.
    • CommentAuthorfieldbook
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013

Hey everyone. I would really appreciate help finding my Electra Ticino 7D (stock photo below). Figured out it was gone from our garage in Hillcrest April 5 after getting home from a road trip. Had the full "New York" lock by Kryptonite around it so I'm not sure how they got it. Leather seat with Electra written on the back, attachement on the seat post for my daughter's tag along bike. Police report and stolen bike registry done. Thanks for anything.Ticino
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2013

Bike thief in PB caught on surveillance video:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/3752529569.html
    Shady John:Bike thief in PB caught on surveillance video:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/3752529569.html

Should make wanted posters and post them around PB.

That would be awesome.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2013

photo 61538_512941375407666_1277560966_n_zps931e8ec6.jpg

Bike was just stolen near the vons on Adams ave. Grey 700c fixed gear freestyle with a red kryptonite lock locked to the top tube. The thieves pulled the post 2 feet out of the ground to steal the bike.. Contact Richie Ditta @ Brooklyn Bikes or me with any leads or finds. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2013

Bike thieves suck!!! XoP
    • CommentAuthorJSnook
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2013

One of my teammates on Adams Ave had his Focus Izalco stolen from his place. 49cm black and white frame, SRAM Red, integrated bar/stem. Give a shout here if you see anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013

Stolen a few minutes ago. Note the crescent seat, and the frame has clear mylar panels stuck all over it to protect the paint, fenders have dual-adjust struts.
    Please call me with any info on my friend's bike at 619.823.7029
    Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2013 edited

Hans:http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/936139_10200967655301992_1176506122_n.jpg
    Stolen a few minutes ago. Note the crescent seat, and the frame has clear mylar panels stuck all over it to protect the paint, fenders have dual-adjust struts.
    Please call me with any info on my friend's bike at 619.823.7029
    Thanks.

UPDATE - THEY GOT THIS ONE BACK!! Uniqueness of the bike was easy to spot and they chased the person riding the bike down. Doesn't appear rider was actual thief. Gave it back without incident claiming they bought it on the cheap.
    hillbillyinablimp:Hey guys.

I was referred here by some guys on reddit. Said you guys are good at helping to find stolen bikes.

I had my Giant Suede-E electric bike stolen. Found it missing from my South Park home around 5pm on March 31st. My brother claims to have seen it that morning, and my mother says she saw it the day before. I know it's not misplaced, I still have the battery and the key.

Again, it's a Giant Suede-E. It's in pretty good condition. Blue and Grey in color. It has no real identifiable marks, but it does have a Bell U-Lock latched to the rack (and before I'm yelled at, I DID have it locked, just with a steel cable combination lock instead. The U-Lock was too difficult to use effectively to lock it up at my house.) It'll be missing it's battery and the keys, both to the latch that holds the battery in place and to that U-Lock.

Any help finding it would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like this. I don't have any pictures of it.

Just popped up on CL

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/3782885978.html
    • CommentAuthorbobbsledd
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2013

A shout-out to Mission Hills Bike Shop for pointing me here.

Last weekend my lock got cut and bike was nabbed from a private residence near 4th Ave and Robinson (Hillcrest).

I don't have a picture, but it might be distinctive because:

1) before last weekend it was an ugly Bridgestone mountain bike that I'd spray-painted black with some brown and green on it 20 years ago (to make it ugly), with mismatched tires and badly aged/chipped spoke guard around the rear cluster.
    2) about six hours before it got stolen, Mission Hills Bike Shop made it prettier (apparently too pretty) by swapping in some big, cruiser-style bars with ***BIG, SILVER SKULLS WITH RED EYES ON THE END OF THE GRIPS!***

A reseller would be stupid to leave the skulls on - but there are some stupid peeps out there. ;)

There were other fixes, but (other than the small seat bag with a Mission Hills Bike Shop patch) none were distinctive.

If you find it, you can keep the bike as long as you post a picture of a pee stream going into the thief's bloody mouth.

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthoramper
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2013 edited

sykkelspruce:
    Just popped up on CL

that's amazing.. complete with street address.. /boggle

EDIT: Just messaged him on Reddit after combing through the searches. He posted in the /r/SanDiego subreddit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjacobk

hillbillyinablimp:It'll be missing it's battery and the keys, both to the latch that holds the battery in place and to that U-Lock.

Good find, but I wonder if that's the same stolen bike. It looks identical, but in his post here he says that it would be missing the battery and they show a battery in the ad. May just be another bike of the same model, although $150 does seem cheap for an e-bike?
    • CommentAuthorSmorg

VeloCafé:
    UPDATE - THEY GOT THIS ONE BACK!! Uniqueness of the bike was easy to spot and they chased the person riding the bike down. Doesn't appear rider was actual thief. Gave it back without incident claiming they bought it on the cheap.

Yey! Now that's a good news to start the weekend with! :oD
    The price is what caught my eye.
    • CommentAuthoramper
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2013

sykkelspruce:The price is what caught my eye.

sure.. seemed like way too good a deal.

here's an update: unfortunately, the CL ad was taken down before the OP could contact/research any further. I guess we may never know :/
    • CommentAuthorbobbsledd

A few days ago, I bought a used bike off CL to make up for the one stolen in my post above. I'm not one to assume badness, but the experience set off the Spidey Sense enough that it's worth mentioning here in case it's worthy of follow-up.

Tell me if this is indicative of a not-so-careful thief or just a seasoned craigslist seller who's been bitten a few times:

1) Other than a phone number, no identifying info on CL (which is fine)
    2) All set-up done via text (everyone does this now, so fine)
    3) Reluctant to give address until the moment of sale (also fine by me; people are weirdos)
    4) Upon arrival to texted address, giant, solid gate and lots of foliage blocking the house, with an artificial noise effect polluting an otherwise quiet (at the time) neighborhood
    5) Bike brought down to gate. He had also brought down an original part for it, just in case I wanted to purchase it as well. A second bike (similar price range) was nearby as an option.

So far, it's just normal protectionist stuff that an experienced seller would do, but then it starts to get creepy...

6) When I said, "I'm Bob" and shook the guy's hand, he very intentionally said only, "Hi." I repeated "I'm Bob," and he reluctantly gave me his first name.
    7) After the deal was done, when I asked about an accessory I wanted, we went to the apparent workshop, where ~5-10 fixies and skinny road bike frames were in various states of build. Parts and tools and accessories were all over. We discussed the features/rarity of one of the bikes. I can't tell if it was just a hobby or not.
    8) I said I wanted a receipt for my purchase, but the signature was a scribble. I had to be very explicit in order to get a last name.
    9) The CL post was gone in minutes. (That's also fine, but harder to track historical data that's not there.)

I'm not adding too much detail because I don't want to a) accuse someone outright if they're innocent, and b) tip someone off if they're not so innocent. In fairness, the guy obviously lived here, so a lot of the above would be sloppy if "not so innocent."

I took a mental picture of frames, and checked the pix on this list for them, but don't see anything familiar.

I also searched for the phone number on CL today and don't see it coming up, so perhaps this is all just paranoia.

I also kept the phone number, address, and name. I expect only the phone number would ever come up again, but I'm not going to monitor CL/other places for it.

So is it just someone watching their back, or someone waiting for your bike? Is some follow-up needed, or just let it go?
    • CommentAuthoramper

seems like an odd egg to me, but not a big time thief.. i've encountered all different types of characters on CL, but for the seller to give you their home address, seems fairly legitimate to me no matter how awkward the exchange is.
    • CommentAuthorlisi

Keep an eye out for a friend's bike stolen in City Heights - it is a ~50cm brown Surly Crosscheck with light teal bartape and accents. Black Brooks saddle, rear rack, eggbeaters. Buju Tattoo sticker on the toptube.

photo briannasurly_zps159837c7.jpg
    • CommentAuthorJSnook
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2013

Someone being cautious on CL isn't a sign of a bad egg if you ask me. I never give my address and always meet at a park or somewhere busy during broad daylight. The fact that the fellow did the deal at his home is a sign of him being legit I think. I know a couple guys that ride a lot and are always building up and selling project bikes to fund their next high-end wheelset purchase or carbon blingy part.
    Just an update. And please don't contact the seller. Geoff will be meeting with the thief this evening.

Geoff Davis added 2 photos.
    San Diegans - my bike and Scarlet's bike just got stolen out of my yard last night in Normal Heights

Black and white Traitor Ruben 56 cm fame with distinctive oil rig graphics. Shimano 105 components, Velocity wheelset. SRAM APEX cranks with shimano campus pedals.

Blue and white Specialized Dolce - small womens frame.

Posted this morning...

TRAITOR BICYCLE - $500 (Chula.Vista)

Good.bike Good condition if interested please tex 619-734-1521***set price OBO***
    • CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2013

Hope Geoff brings a cop or two with him and bust the guy. Bike thieves suck!