• CommentTimeMay 8th 2013

Just recovered it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2013

Nice!
    • CommentAuthorCRACKERJACK
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2013 edited

A few hours ago a guy with a hat and beard walked into Sport Chalet and cut my coworkers bike chain and took his bike all from inside the store.

Edit: It was a Pure Fix model India, black with gold rims.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2013

Are the cashiers and security guard looking for new jobs?
    Hans:Are the cashiers and security guard looking for new jobs?

No security guard and a no chase policy. Cashiers first reaction was to call me and ask if it was my bike he was watching the guy walk out with.....
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2013

CRACKERJACK:
    Hans:Are the cashiers and security guard looking for new jobs?
    No security guard and a no chase policy. Cashiers first reaction was to call me and ask if it was my bike he was watching the guy walk out with.....
    I was gonna say ... how the heck does that even happen?!?
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2013 edited

Just reported. Working on pics but wanted to get word out. Here is a blog post from the owner with info and pics.

2 bicycles stolen the morning of 5/13/2013 in North Park. Granada Avenue near Landis. Between the hours of 9:30 and 11:15 AM. Details of bicycles follow:

Men's bicycle
    2012 Men's Giant Escape 1 - Silver and Black, white Primo pedals and front and rear lights (alan wrench attached) added post-purchase. Has rear rack for attaching children's seat to rear post (including a yellow cartridge with red reflector that fits below the rack for attaching). Left side of back spoke wheel has been well-worn since bicycle is often used to tow a children's bicycle trailer (details below). Also has a Kryptonite lock attached to seat post. BikeSD sticker on front of bicycle just below handlebars.

Women's bicycle
    2012 Women's Giant Cypress ST - Silver and Black. Kryptonite lock attached to seat post.

Children's bicycle trailer
    Burley d'Lite bicycle trailer - approximately 9 years old (bought used). Has a Master lock on the front left side holding together spot where button broke. Fits Also had 3 children's books and a rain flap in the trailer. Additionally has a steel Kryptonite cable in the trailer. Color is royal blue and yellow.

Any information regarding these bicycles or sightings would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

- John
    Help my bike was stolen last night on 6th ave in Hillcrest
    It is a Bianchi Via Nerone
    Here she is getting a flat fixed.

:(

IMAG0827
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2013

I have a hard time deciding who is worse - vehicular cycling advocates or bike thieves.

But please...try to make you bike at least somewhat challenging to steal.

Many thieves do have a universal garage door opener. So lock your bike even at home when in your garage. Sure, pooh pooh that suggestion all you want and about your "safe neighborhood" but you have read this and this is your notice :)

And a cable lock is not a lock. Nor is a chain. Or a regular old chain + lock combo. Use Kryptonite or Abus. There is no such thing as leaving your bike out for "a minute" to duck in somewhere. If you want to go the distance, consider a pitlock for your wheelset. Your bike is still stealable - but they may not pick your's as the first option.

If you care about your bike - invest in theft protection.

That said, I sympathize with all loses and yes, bike thieves are pond scum, etc, etc, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2013 edited

Sam:I have a hard time deciding who is worse - vehicular cycling advocates or bike thieves.
    Do you have to pick a fight in every thread?
    • CommentAuthorJSnook
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2013

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bid/3839107839.html
    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bid/3839082575.html
    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bid/3839147408.html

Some pretty nice bikes advertised by a pawn shop - I would guess these were stolen, posting here in case anyone recognizes one
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2013

I certainly hope these are legitimate and not stolen. Wouldn't it be great if all the cool people selling used bicycles voluntarily posted the bike's serial number in their ads?
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2013

Very informative article on bike theft, markphilips. Really shows what we are up against. Hope this important topic gets picked up by more cycling bloggers and posted to more cycling sites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2013 edited

If anyone sees this bike turn up, contact me (number in my profile) or Amanda directly. The frame is very unique and hard to disguise. She's wrapped the frame in Prism tape, so at first it looks like chrome but then sparkles in every color imaginable.
    I believe it started life as a maroon, mid 80's Giant, but now all marking are removed, and the frame has been wrapped in Stickers, so it will take effort to re-paint. Realistically, I think this one will be stripped by now, but that frame is the "smoking gun". A wonderfully unique bike for a wonderfully unique person. Eyes open and spread the word. Thanks.
    Our good friend and strong voice for bicycling advocacy, Nicole Burgess, reports a family bike was stolen at Petco Park on Saturday night (8-3-13). Her husband attended the game and saw NY Yankees pitcher, Mariano Riveria honored by the Padres, and given a gift of a new yuba cargo bike for him, and four other bikes for his family.
    ===== ===== =====
    Another beauty was stolen from the Burgess collection.
    It was stolen from Petco Park on Saturday night.
    Not even a $70 lock could help.
    Bikes are not safe at the Padre games.
    Please keep an eye out for it. And keep an eye out for your own bikes.

Black/Green BMC Men's Mountain Bike, with Brooks saddle.
    We do have the serial number if needed.

Thanks.

Nicole
    ===== ===== =====

Below is a list of often used public facilities downtown that would do well to provide safe, secure and robust bicycle parking (think lockers, surveillance cameras, security guards etc.) If cyclist don't feel safe parking and leaving their bikes, they will not ride them downtown or any other place. Good secure parking is a fundamental necessity to promote and increase bike rider ship.

SD Convention Center
    Santa Fe Train Station
    Redeveloped County Administration Center
    SD Superior Court
    New Federal Court
    New SD Main Library
    Petco Park
    SD City College
    Seaport Village
    SD City Hall

Ride well and be safe out there.

OKB

• CommentAuthordkuke
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2013

STOLEN

Early '90s Specialized Stump Jumper:
    • Yellow frame with new black Kona front fork
    • Cane Creek headset
    • new Jagwire cabling
    • new Serfas Sheriff Meo tires.

Went into the Ralph's downtown last night (8/23/13) for 10 min came out and it was gone. The store has video of a couple coming out of the store and cutting the cable.

If found please contact
    San Diego Police: 619-531-2000
    Case # 13-033808
    • CommentAuthorModerator
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2013

kcartmill:I wanted to put a word out, my wheels where stolen in broad daylight on sat from 11am to 7pm. There is always people around my complex, the fact that someone came up to my apt and stole them is pretty aggressive to me!!!
    They are size 700c specialized hybrid wheels. Cash reward if someone finds them. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    • CommentAuthorjacobk
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2013

kcartmill:I wanted to put a word out, my wheels where stolen in broad daylight on sat from 11am to 7pm. There is always people around my complex, the fact that someone came up to my apt and stole them is pretty aggressive to me!!!
    They are size 700c specialized hybrid wheels. Cash reward if someone finds them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If you could post a picture or two and some info about the wheels (hubs, rims, what tires were on them), that would help, otherwise that is unfortunately not very much to go on. If they were the stock wheels for your bike, you can probably find those specs online for the year your bike was made.
    Stolen bamboo Bike!
    Stolen bamboo bike in San Diego
    I just returned home from a 4,700 mile tour across America on this bamboo bike and it was stolen! It was stolen last night (09/06/2013) from the Vons on Garnet Avenue in Pacific Beach.
    It is a one of a kind bamboo bike and is unmistakeable. Down the side it says bamboosero and the rims are Easton which is very visible. I doubt you'll see any other bamboo bikes around and if you do it won't look quite like this.
    I will reward anyone for its return.
    Please contact me, Rob at 715-292-0879 or robjgreenfield@gmail.com if you have any information.
    And if you feel like it check out my tour across America at http://www.greenfieldadventures.org The tour was to inspire Americans to start living a happier healthier lifestyle for the earth, community, and self.
    Thanks so much!
    Photos of bike:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100228425406185&set=t.73404356&type=3&theater
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100249710675335&set=t.73404356&type=3&theater
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151724863324383&set=t.73404356&type=3&theater
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2013

Another good shot of Rob's bike...

Let Rob Greenfield know if you see his stolen bamboo bike in our lovely San Diego!There's something great if found ... [details below].

"I'm really excited that my BAMBOO BIKE WAS STOLEN! Let's use community action to take this problem and turn it into something Good!

If the bike is returned to me I will bike it across America doing good for others and inspiring others to Do Good too!

Please share this photo to help the bike get returned to me and to help start a Do Good revolution!

Keep your eyes open San Diego!"

More info:

It was stolen in Pacific Beach, San Diego on September 6th from in front of the Von's grocery store on Garnet avenue. It's a bamboo bike and is a one of a kind. You'll know it when you see it! Their are more photos of it on my profile Rob Greenfield. Please contact me with any information.

This summer I biked 4,700 miles Across America on this bamboo bike to inspire Americans to start living a happier healthier lifestyle. This bicycle is a tool for me to spread inspiration and knowledge to the masses and I'd like to continue using it to do so!

If returned the Do Good bike ride will take place next spring since winter is coming.
    • CommentAuthorRandy9
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013

My Giant Cypress, 2010, blue was stolen from my garage in South Park. The doors were open, the cable was cut and it was 'gone in 60 seconds'. So I've been kind of fired up. I reported it to police and stolenbicycleregistry.
    I'm adding a picture of a serial number. I almost ran into this guy when I went out riding today. This young man lives near me and was pushing this Trek down the street. It's a large frame and he's not that tall. He claimed he was pushing it because the tire was flat. The tires were old and weather checked. Presta stems, for which he did not have a pump, were kind of unique. Very suspicious to me. Let me know if you're interested in pursuing this.

Trek serial number: TBI-0406 and C74EM304 both stamped on the crank case

mmmm, trying to figure out how to upload a picture
    • CommentAuthorbossvoss
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2013

A co-worker had their Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe stolen at the Santee Vons last Friday.

"I am sad to report that my red Bike Friday touring travel bike was stolen late Friday night when I made a quick stop at the local Vons.
    The CL link below has the bike details and an older photo. "

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/bik/4139539119.html
    • CommentAuthordanimal
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2013

Please Help! My girlfriend's bike was stolen downtown parked outside of the "Hall of Justice" while attending jury duty. The irony is amazing. The bike was locked up with 2 cable locks. Teal Specialized Vita with 700 x 38 reflective sidewall Specialized Nimbus tires. Brand new Kool Stop brake pads front and rear. Flat pedals. A gold bell. Topeak Explorer rear rack. Topeak bracket for handlebar bag. Thanks in advance. Dan 760.554.6287
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/106520278@N03/10464251143/
    happier times
    • CommentAuthorrbt
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2013

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/4190618546.html

My rusty old red CCM mountain bike with bullmoose handler bars, single ring in front and Nexus 7-speed in the rear was stolen from my place in La Jolla. It had a black wire basket in front, and bear trap pedals. It's really a wreck, with rust all over. Gripshift. Wheelset is off an Electra cruiser and has flaking red paint on the rims. Definitely a one of a kind piece of junk, but I really love that ride and hope to recover it. Thanks for keeping an eye out!
    • CommentAuthorJgrody
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2013 edited

My dads bike was just stolen. It is a Bronzeish Access 29er XCL 9.5, sram x5 parts, upgraded race face large chainring. No logos, there is a US sailing sticker on the headtube. Geax Saguaro Tires. Transit sadddle bag. Stolen from their garage in point loma. Thanks for keeping an eye out!
    • CommentAuthorJgrody
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2013

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/access-xcl-29er-performancebike-com-616261.html

There are picture if you scroll down. My dad took all the logos off the bike and wheels.
    • CommentAuthorJgrody
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2013

• CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2013

Another bike tourist had his bike stolen. Story in the UT

• CommentAuthorRoteXP
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2014

Just had a 2012 Black Madsen Bucket Bike stolen out of a friends fenced back yard in North Park. Shouldn't be hard to spot as its the only one I've seen in SD since I moved here in October. Most noticeable feature is the rear reflector I accidentally broke off the rear fender, leaving a hole. Oops. Who steals such a recognizable bike?
    • CommentAuthormm80
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2014

My bike just got stolen from my minivan. Very bold theft. It is in the middle of Little Italy and in front of my office.

They broke the side window, shattered glass everywhere, alarm went on, they took the bike and are gone.

Bike is FELT Z85, like this:

Is there anything that I can do except filing the police report?
    Look for it on craigslist here and in surrounding regions (OC, LA, TJ, etc). Ask around your office's neighbors to see if anyone has a security cam pointed at your van. Check the Kobey Swap Meet this wknd. If you are lucky and see your bike for sale somewhere, call the police. Don't try to go after it yourself. Sorry to hear about loss. Best of luck.
    • CommentAuthorJgrody
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2014

Stolen Bike Alert!

I was just emailed by a friend that his bike was stolen. KHS Vitamin C. Bought at Mission Hills. Keep an eye out! here is the CL add.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/wan/4484747140.html
    I just purchased my first bike in over 10 years and now I am paranoid of leaving it anywhere for an extended period of time which kind of defeats the purpose. I purchased a u-lock + cable and I hope that will be enough but I am wondering if anyone purchases bicycle insurance? Is is worth it and would it cover theft away from my house? My homeowners insurance covers it in-house but I just wanted to get your thoughts on something like http://velosurance.com.
    I just checked on their website and my estimated cost for a $3000 bike is ~$225-$250 per year. Doesn't seem worth it. Buying a really good set of locks would cost equal or less than insurance. I've always been told not to buy insurance for things that won't bankrupt me. So, home, car, health, all legit reasons for insurance. But the bike is a relatively low cost replacement if something bad happens. I would spend the insurance money on this anti-theft deterrent device.
    MY REAR WOOD GRAIN VELOCITY DEEP V WAS JUST STOLEN OFF MY BIKE IN FRONT OF EMPIREHOUSE WHEN I WAS DOING A ORDER UPSTAIRS. NOBODY DOWNSTAIRS SAW IT HAPPEN. LOOKS LIKE THEY TRIED TO STEAL THE BARS TOO BUT GAVE UP. IF ANYBODY SEES A WOODRGAIN DEEP V AROUND TOWN OR ON CRAIGSLIST PLEASE EMAIL ME OR CALL ME SYKKELSPRUCE@GMAIL.COM
    IT IS AN EXTREMELY RARE WHEEL.
    Here is a reference just in case

Sigh. My bike was stolen yesterday between 12:45 and 1:45 PM, from the bike corral at 5th & University in Hillcrest.
    Midday, right there in front of everyone & everything.

Specialized Sequoia Elite from 2006.

Homeowner's insurance will cover at least some of the replacement cost, but I'd rather have my bike back.
    Can you all please keep your eyes open?

Thanks,
    Bella

Picture is at link below.

• CommentAuthorzinnie
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2014 edited

Hi everyone, my bike was just stolen out to my [unlocked] basement. My mistake. I'd appreciate it if people can keep an eye out for it! It is a Trek FX WSD in an aqua color. It doesn't have much unique besides the fact that it is extra small-- 13". It has lights taped on, and flashies. And an aluminum rack on the back.
    bike

THANK YOU!
    • CommentAuthorzinnie
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2014 edited

An obvious piece of information I forgot to include: this was from the North Park neighborhood by park and university.
    Seems like lots of stuff is getting jacked in the uptown area as of recently. Quite a few on CL these days. Shitty. I keep scoping out CL for my wheel (SD & LA) so if I see anything pop up I'll let you guys/girls know.
    • CommentAuthorzinnie
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2014

Sy--I have heard about a bunch in this area recently, too.

Also, are you checking OC craigslist? I didn't realize they had a separate category until earlier today. I'll keep an eye out for yours as well. Thanks!
    Did not know about OC CL. Good call
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014

Sorry to hear about the recent bike wheel theft and your Specialized Sequoia Elite from 2006 from the Hillcrest bike corral.

What type of bike lock did you use? cable lock on the rear wheel linking up to the U lock? two U locks?

I guess if someone is determined enough they will bring a battery powered angle grinder to cut whatever you have attached. I'm thinking my U-lock + cable is not enough. Probably need to start doing 2 U locks ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014

The major reason I don't use bike corrals. One of the biggest advantages to riding a bike is that you can park it in front of the business you're visiting, or in plain sight of people sitting at a restaurant, cafe, tavern, etc. where it looks like the person sitting next to your bike is the owner if you are going to be gone very long, or be out of view of your bicycle. Last year I was having dinner with arguably, the top advocate in our city, and they decided to lock their bike in front of the restaurant in favor of parking a block away at the new bike corral. Convenience and safety, all in one sambusa!
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2014

I'm sure this link is in this thread but make sure to put your bike on here!

http://bikeregistry.com/
    So Another one. Motobecane Sprint 2006. Full Ultegra 6600 Component Set. Chained in broad daylight by Ocean Beach Pier. Right in main traffic. Somebody cut the lock with bolt cutters, and stole it. There were a bunch of druggies under the pier and I expect it was one of them. I'm constantly checking Craigslist. Informed the local bike shops, Informed Kobys swap meet. Can you guys please check all your swap meets that you attend? Anything you hear or see. Dear God, please help me.

Police Report: Filed With Western Division
    Case Number: 14031450
    Phone Number: 619-692-4800

Motobecane Sprint, Silver Color, Black Seat - Motobecane Sprint is Written on the Frame.
    Bontrager Wheels/Tires
    Ritchey Is Written On Handlebar Post
    Integrated Ultegra 6600 STI Shifters
    Shimano SC-6502 Bike Computer
    Shimano Ultegra 6600 STI 30 Speed, Front and Rear Derailleurs, TruVativ Elita GXP Crankset with ExternalBearings, Tektro Aluminum Brake Calipers, 7005 Double Butted MultiShape Aluminum with High Modulus Carbon Fiber Seatstays
    Vuelta XRP Pro Wheelset, Ritchey Comp Bar, Stem and Seatpost.
    Total Weight: 17.3 pounds

Picture:
    https://imageshack.com/i/eyahV5Ehj
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014

I'm sorry for your loss ... was it just standard hardware store chain and a master lock ? Yeah unfortunately even basic compact bolt cutters will slice through both quickly.

D-lock on the frame? what was it attached to? (I haven't been to the OB pier in a while so I don't remember what bike parking they have there).

http://www.tested.com/tech/458286-best-bike-lock-today/
    • CommentAuthorJSnook
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2014 edited

rooibos1986:Motobecane Sprint 2006. Full Ultegra 6600

There's your problem...never leave anything that nice anywhere out of sight. Keep it where it belongs - between your legs!

I'll keep a lookout on CL etc....