Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2016

Shady John:HMeins, how did they get the bike?

I was working in the garage and went indoors to take a leak. I was away for less than five minutes. Someone is watching me. In February my locked custom motorcycle trailer was stolen from in front of my house.
    • CommentAuthornauruming
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2016

stolen trek touring bike

My friends bicycle was stolen on the 25th from the 4000 block of university. It has many nos suntour parts on it as well as velo orange fenders and velo orange rack. The wheels are nos suntour hubs with sun xcd rims built on them. Any Info Please call or text steve at 207-450-9164 Thanks, -Shawn
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2016

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2016

synthetic:my bike was stolen ...kind of. video of thief
    https://coupleofathletes.wordpress.com/2016/05/13/the-key-to-bike-theft/
    So the thief used a "master key" to steal your bike?! That's pretty scary. What type and brand of lock did was the bike locked up with, that he was able to open with a master key?
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2016

it was ace hardware generic of master lock. so the keys can be easily replicated. this time i got a lock with 2 sided key from brand Master Lock. lock smiths hate making 2 sided keys
    • CommentAuthorjmazur
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2016

I had my bike stolen from a parking garage in the Costa Verde Village apartments in UTC. The thief took my Marin, as well as a Schwinn road bike that had been locked to the rack without a seat since December (at least). I had a Kryptonite lock, and it was securing both the front wheel and the frame to the rack. When I looked, there was no sign that the bikes had ever been on that rack. Here's my bike immediately after I bought it, before I put Shimano SPD dual-sided pedals, Ergon GP5 grips, and a Topeak rack on the back.
    Bike
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2016

HMeins:They finally got me last night.

Missing is a 1987 Olmo La Biciclissima, pearlescent white, original paint and decals, showroom condition. Mavic MA40 rims laced to Campagnolo record hubs. Campagnolo Nuovo Record 12 speed gruppo. White brake levers. Black 3TTT stem pantographed G Olmo. 53/39 Campagnolo record chainrings pantographed OLMO. Custom painted bottle cages. White bar tape. Campagnolo aero seatpost. White Vredestein Fortezza tires. Blue cable housings. Embroidered Olmo saddle. Chrome forks stamped OLMO with star on crown.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99731908@N05/25450958253/in/dateposted-public/

Recovered it on Sunday. Bought it back on eBay, picked it up locally, then stopped payment on PayPal Credit. Campagnolo pedals are gone as is the saddle and the white Modolo brake levers. A pleasant surprise is that someone upgraded the Campagnolo Super Record brakes to the top of the line Cobalto.

All the missing parts are on the way.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2016

Can you bust the bastard who stole it?
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2016

Police and eBay security are handling it. I'm just blown away that I got it back. I thought I'd never see it again, but I never gave up hope. I looked on eBay and Craiglist almost every day. Friday, there it was in all its unique and unmistakable glory.

The seller was asking $3,000 Buy It Now. When I offered him $1,350 he took down the listing and wanted me to meet him with the cash. If I had, the money would have been gone forever, so I insisted that he re-list it as Buy It Now for $1,350. I thought I had spooked him, but he came back and re-listed it as I had suggested. He sent his elderly father to meet me at a third party location and I took it back without letting on that I knew it was stolen. When I got it home, I called PayPal and stopped the payment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

How can you be certain the person who sold it is the same person who stole it? The seller may have bought it bona fide.

Don't mean to appear facetious - just wondering.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

I can't. But the seller was in possession of stolen property. That is a crime in itself. EBay has a policy that forbids the sale of stolen property. Clues to suggest that the seller was aware that the bike was stolen include the quick agreement to sell for $1,350 when the Buy It Now price was $3,000; the insistence on a cash transaction outside of eBay; the quick agreement to list it again on eBay for a Buy It Now price of $1,350 when I balked at a cash exchange; and the proxy delivery at a third party location by the elderly father.

Another clue is the lack of follow up after the payment was rescinded. He has my telephone number and eBay contact info. I imagine he probably doesn't want to face a grand theft charge.
    • CommentAuthorRohler
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2016

Congrats on recovering your bike HMeins. Good job on using EBay & Paypal to con the thief. Reminds me of a sticker on my garage cabinet..."In Leadville, we still hang bike thieves!"
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2016

update on my stolen bike... i was stabbed trying to recover

https://coupleofathletes.wordpress.com/2016/11/25/stabbed-on-my-run-today/
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2016

If anyone knows of a stolen San Marcos Masi Gran Criterium, black with yellow accents, 58 cm, the person who sold me back my stolen Olmo is offering this one for sale for a ridiculous $1,300.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Masi-Gran-Criterium-/302147013725?hash=item46595d8c5d:g:4QoAAOSw44BYIXv7
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2016

Here's a white Peugeot "Vache de Gomme" from the late 1960s offered for sale by the same person. He wants $2,000 Buy It Now, which is waaaay over value for this flexy old bike. The seller opened his eBay account on Oct. 30, 2016 and has zero feedback.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peugeot-PX10-/302147014783?hash=item46595d907f:g:ZMwAAOSwcLxYIXzI
    • CommentAuthorRohler
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2016

Wow synthetic! Amazing you happened to see the bike and discouraging that nobody gave you a hand.
    I used to carry pepper spray but stopped since it was never needed. Maybe I should think twice.
    Hope the cops find the guy and you heal quickly.
    • CommentAuthoraseembathla
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2016 edited

UPDATE : I have recovered the bike. Some homeless guy brought it to a bike shop and they informed me. Thanks all.

Hi all,
    My bike was stolen yesterday night (Dec 2, 2016 night) from my garage on Florida St (92104). The bike was a 2014 Fuji sportif 2.1 (size 52/54cm), color : black/blue.
    My garage door was open and bike was missing this morning. I have filed a police complaint. Would really appreciate if you would keep an eye out
    • CommentAuthorBobSgt
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2017 edited

Cannondale Carbon Quick white with black accent stolen from South Oceanside Garage.

Serial Number FM62664
    OSIDEPD Report T17001026

View photo at:
    https://bikeindex.org/bikes/349348

It was in my open garage, I was in another part of the house. If they are in your garage, lock them to the wall, with bells on the cable
    • CommentAuthormderrico
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2017 edited

I had my Raleigh Capri 2.0 stolen out of my garage. I came home and the garage door was opened.
    The bike has Shimano 105 shifters and a water bottle carrier and holder for a pump installed. I don't have the serial number.
    There was a pouch underneath the seat and a Schwinn head light and back light.
    There is a sticker from the Cardinal bike shop and probably Stanford campus on it, where I previously registered my bike.
    I wish I could post a picture but I couldn't figure out how to do that on the discussion thread, I guess see pictures here:
    https://bikeindex.org/bikes/373711

Moderator edit - here you go:

•  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2017

Wouldn't happen to be this one here? Posted around the same time on CL

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/d/2013-raleigh-capri-20/6334178105.html
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2017

batmick:Wouldn't happen to be this one here? Posted around the same time on CL

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/d/2013-raleigh-capri-20/6334178105.html

That's spooky.

I would be willing to go meet the "seller" with you if you want to check it out. If it's yours, we'll leave with it.
    Pacific Beach. Sigh.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2017

Sorry for the loss but looks like Sora, not the Shimano 105 shifters noted in mderrico's post.