Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthoryoshi
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2011

Let's face it, sometimes it's necessary to transport your bicycle.
    What are your favorite vehicle racks?
    • CommentAuthoryoshi
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2011 edited

I have a Thule roof rack on my car but I can't decide which bicycle carrier to get.
    In the past I've had carriers that require removal of the front wheel and also ones that don't.
    I'm currently looking for one that allows me to keep both wheels on during transport.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

Three Yakima fork mount tracks and four wheel forks on the roof, a Thule spare tire rack on the back, and an adjustable track inside for two fork mounts. I can carry seven bikes and two people in/on a RAV4 with both rear seats out. With one rear seat that makes six bikes and three people. With both rear seats in: five bikes and four people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Back when I worked in shops that sold both Thule and Yakima every single employee had Yakima on their car.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

On cars with base factory racks such as these:

..are all the bike racks compatible with these? Or do you need to order a very specific rack model to go specifically with your vehicle make and model?
    You can get great these racks at REI used gear sales (this weekend) or on CL
    @sigurd: I've had a few vehicles from Ford (Taurus wagon, Freestyle, escape) which had factory racks and found that most are too close to the roof of the car. So installing cargo boxes were difficult but nowadays cargo boxes have quick release clamps which made installations easier
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips

I've used my Graber trunk rack since the late 90s. This is the newer style with the individual frame straps. The one I have has rubber covered bars. It's easy to mount and fold unlike the latest racks from yakima and thule. It fits on passenger cars, stationwagons, vans and SUVs.

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2011

Caught up with this jalopy at Sunset Cliffs Blvd. in OB today: Room for four bikes on a the giant rear rack, two more on top (and the roof rack could probably fit another three or four for a total of nine or 10!
    Photobucket
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2011 edited

yoshi:I have a Thule roof rack on my car but I can't decide which bicycle carrier to get.
    In the past I've had carriers that require removal of the front wheel and also ones that don't.
    I'm currently looking for one that allows me to keep both wheels on during transport.

I have a couple Thule racks that have the swing-up bracket which attaches to the downtube if you want to borrow them before you purchase one. Give me a call.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012

I got a Thule Apex hitch rack recently and have used it a few times incl. a round trip to Santa Cruz.

It features:
    -fits both hitch sizes
    -locks to car
    -wire lock to lock bikes to rack
    -tilt-down for cargo access

I like it - it transports my bikes gently and in a stable manner. Mounting and unmounting the rack itself and the bikes is a pretty painless process.

• CommentAuthorlisi
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012

Nice rack! This reminds me of a promo code from a girl I know from track class:

"Need a rack? Yakima Racks are 40% off at http://www.yakima.com/. To apply the 40% credit- use my personal code: JCFTT3URZ9 @checkout. Free ship not included and offer runs 12/3-12/17. LMK if you have q's! ENJOY!!!"