Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2011 edited

San Diego cyclists now have their own "Tag-o-Rama" game!

A tag isn't really an actual tag - it is just a picture of your bike in an interesting or well-known location, perhaps with some hints if you think seekers need it. Members here will figure out where the tag is, and go out to take a picture in the same location, with their own bike in a similar position. The finder is then the new "it", and he gets to place the next tag: Continue ad infinitum!

Here's a custom Google Map of a few of the initial tags in the game.

For now, check out the rules:

#1: If you're "it", find somewhere relatively easy to place a tag - the game is about getting people out on their bikes (see #2), not about Googling: Somewhere scenic, well known or for some reason special or interesting will do. Take a picture (no file or recycled photos, or Google Street View, allowed - again, this is about riding your bike!) of your bike in the tag location. Post on SD BIkecommuter.com (you will need an account with a hosting site such as Photobucket, Picasa or Flickr to host your photo).

#2 The first finder (the one who posts a picture of his bike in the correct location) is the new "it", If you are not first (you have been "Bruced"!), post your photo, anyways (see #3).

#3: "As "it", you have 48 hours to place a new tag. If you don't, the honor of being "it" transfers to the second finder/poster. It is highly encouraged to post the new tag quickly and in a way that is locationally diverse: In short, if you don't have the time or inclination to place a new tag quickly, don't claim one in the first place. And try to go the extra mile to place the tag somewhere different than the neighborhood you found it in.

#4: You need to ride your bicycle to and fro, and include it in your tag photo!

#5: To keep the tag moving, pls. limit yourself to the City of San Diego: Even then, placing a tag in San Ysidro or Rancho Bernardo may be funny, but not fun!

#5: The location of a claimed tag should not be revealed until a new tag has been posted.

#6 (edit): The photo needs to be physically posted to the board - a URL to it is not sufficient for a catch. In case a "place" photo is taken at an earlier time than a "catch" photo, they both need to be taken on the same ride - no file photos allowed.

#7: Only tag owner shall provide tag location hints.

#8: No whining!

Get it? If not, read this thread for how it is done, and then ask here!
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy

Wahoo! First up!
    Mount Soledad

-Right up your alley, Sigurd!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

So Andy is currently "it": To use his photo as an example, you need to figure out where it is taken, ride there, and take a photo of your bike in this very location. If you are the first to post a correct photo, you are the new "it" and have 48hrs. to place a new tag.
    • CommentAuthorthom
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2011

Of course, don't title or describe your photo with the correct location when you post it to Flickr or other photo sharing sites. :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy

thom:Of course, don't title or describe your photo with the correct location when you post it to Flickr or other photo sharing sites. :face-devil-grin:

Not that anyone would do that...

:face-angel:
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2011

Shoot, I was just there half-an-hour ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2011

Hint. Change the name of the photo file to something that is not the location.:face-devil-grin:
    Drat! I was just up there today and I didn't know this had gotten started. Maybe I'll do it again tomorrow ::yikes!::
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2011

Tagged!

IMG_20110315_175100
    • CommentAuthormfutch

happy hunting...

IMG_20110315_183107
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2011 edited

I think the only reason I got to the top of soledad first was because Sigurd has a broken wrist...
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG

NOOOOOOO

• CommentAuthorAn.dy

mfutch:happy hunting...

IMG_20110315_183107

Dude! That's 3 blocks from my house!
    • CommentAuthormfutch

Just a little slow on the draw Alan!

An.dy--Hello neighbor!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

AlanKHG:NOOOOOOO
    Bruced - but so close!
    If MFutch doesn't place the tag withing 72 hrs, you are next in line...

Wait - he already placed it!
    :face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2011

mfutch - I'll keep an eye out for you in ______________ Beach!

Nice shot, I don't think we'll get that view today...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2011

Tagged:

Photobucket

mfutch:IMG_20110315_183107
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2011

And now to something completely different: Tag's live - now go and get it (click to embiggen)!

Photobucket
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011

Sigurd:And now to something completely different: Tag's live - now go and get it (click to embiggen)!

Photobucket

I could have totally gotten that on the way to work this morning...DOH if only I had logged on last night. I wonder if this will last through the day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011

William.: I wonder if this will last through the day.
    Still looking good as of right now...
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2011

Sigurd:
    William.: I wonder if this will last through the day.
    Still looking good as of right now...

Good, I think I stand a chance for my Ride in on Tuesday!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2011

William.: I think I stand a chance for my Ride in on Tuesday!!
    Good - I thought the Uptown folks would be all over this one in a heartbeat!
    I don't know what time your commute is, and I'm not positive where it is, exactly; but im out on funride tomorrow as part of triathlon training, and I'll be hunting if I don't see this tagged!
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2011

I know exactly where it is: it's right at the place the Red Hot Chili Peppers would have written "under the bridge" (RCH) if they had lived in SD vice LA... You can see it from the street, but you'd have to slow down just a little. I hope there's enough light this morning.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2011 edited

VICTORY. Well. OK, perhaps not that dramatic. But, it's there. And if you look close, you can see my sdbikecommuter.com sticker.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Pretty tough tag, Will! Hopefully someone here recognizes it.
    • CommentAuthorthom

If I'm a good boy and get my work done today, I think I know where that is... Unless I get bruced by HippyOnaBike.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

Sigurd:Pretty tough tag, Will! Hopefully someone here recognizes it.

(random)
    It was dark so I had to be close.
    (hint)
    The trolly tracks make it so you don't want to step out to far to snap the photo, pesky old orange line.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2011

I am posting from my phone and can't figure out how to copy paste. But it is on my flickr.com/beany0
    • CommentAuthorSam

Ah whatever. I give up trying to figure this phone out. *grumpy*
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2011 edited

Congrats, Sam - you got the tag: I will post it for you on your behalf:

Can't wait to see where you will post the tag!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

We do need some clarification of the rules in the event of technical difficulties, however - this should have been part of the rules from the outset: From now on, the finder has to post the physical photo on the board for it to count as a valid catch.

{scurrying off to his cell phone to figure out exactly how to post from it}
    :face-monkey:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

This is discrimination toward us North County folk. No way we can make it to any of those spots in time.

I swear if I ever manage to get a tag, I'll ride up to Temecula or so for the next one... :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

batmick:This is discrimination toward us North County folk. No way we can make it to any of those spots in time. I swear if I ever manage to get a tag, I'll ride up to Temecula or so for the next one
    You could always start a North County Bike-O-Rama! I might even run up for some of them myself (as long as it isn't in Temecula, mind you!)!

Just copy the rules from the SD one (or modify, as you prefer) and off you go!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

batmick:This is discrimination toward us North County folk. No way we can make it to any of those spots in time.

I swear if I ever manage to get a tag, I'll ride up to Temecula or so for the next one... :face-devil-grin:

I'm thinking top of Mt Israel or something.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

batmick:I swear if I ever manage to get a tag, I'll ride up to Temecula or so for the next one... :face-devil-grin:

You're an evil, evil person for even thinking such a thing. If you do that and I EVER get a tag, I'll ride to CAMPO. Perhaps. One day.
    :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorSam

I was actually giving up. But thanks Sigurd for continuing to let me play!

And finally! Sorry if this is too easy. ted and the rest of you didn't do much to stop the rain from coming down on me.

bikearama

This thread almost makes me want to break down and spring for a fancy pants phone. I am still resisting. Still....
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011

Suggestion: When a tag has been made could you please also post the place name, map link or GPS coordinates?

This way us unwashed heathen from the North (or elsewhere in the greater SD region) can learn about the "real" San Diego too.

Mount Soledad was easy and I think the second one was somewhere on the La Jolla coast. But though I have heard the name Barrio Logan I have no clue where it is. And that last one before the current is a total mystery to me.
    • CommentAuthormfutch

• CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011 edited

I wasn't sure how many clues to post. The only clue I gave in my pic was the "booklover" sticker on my bike since I love books prolly more than bikes (hard to tell sometimes), but here is a linky. Edit: oops. Can't read. I have not injected the requiste doses of caffiene into my bloodstream yet.

UPDATE:

I liked Will's pic, cause I knew it had to be somewhere by 30th (based on the 2995 address) so the challenge was figuring out which street below Broadway it was on (I know the ones above Broadway really well). It was on 30th and Commercial and I had a nice chat with a guy walking by who complimented my totally ridiculous and very inappropriate outfit and footwear. Everyone in the area was very nice to me and waved and smiled so I don't know what this talk about everything there being scary is all about.
    • CommentAuthorthom

I think he meant when you find the previous one post where you found it.
    • CommentAuthorSam

thanks thom. Caffiene is currently being ingested.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

batmick:Suggestion: When a tag has been made could you please also post the place name, map link or GPS coordinates?
    My tag was @ Chicano Park, Barrio Logan.

Sam: Sorry if this is too easy.
    Sounds like I should know where this is, but I have no clue: Somebody else - go get it!
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011

if it helps, the location is a library east of the 163
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

What's the game say about hints? Should we allow a week before putting up a hint? I ask because I figured it out this morning and planned on getting the tag on my way home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

t.e.d:What's the game say about hints? Should we allow a week before putting up a hint? I ask because I figured it out this morning and planned on getting the tag on my way home.
    You might still be the first one there...

The rules do not say anything real specific about hints, other than for the poster to give hints if he or she deems it necessary: The longer it takes before somebody gets the tag, the more needed it becomes to give hints, of course.

I don't really want to make very specific rules about hints - I would like to keep them flexible and as chill as possible.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011 edited

Got it.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011 edited

Sigurd:And now to something completely different: Tag's live - now go and get it (click to embiggen)!

Photobucket

Embiggen? I find that word to be quite cromulent. We don't talk like that here... This here is Shelbyville!
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy

t.e.d:Got it.

Oh man, I was going to head there after work - even brought my camera... maybe I'll stop by anyhow