Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011 edited

Plenty of daylight to get this tag. It was good to see many forum members at the Veloswap this morning. Next tag is very close to the Velodrome as I had limited time before the down pour. So if you prefer taking the easy route back to Balboa Park (instead of taking Morley Field drive) then you will spot this amazing front yard. They had a great Halloween theme which I posted on another thread.

Weatherbug's satellite image should give you an idea of the rain cloud proximity
    IMG01336-20111106-1341.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011 edited

I guess everything is okay as long as tags don't "get stuck" unclaimed, but seeing as the game is about getting as many bicyclists as possible on the road claiming tags, here's a reminder of what the "perfect tag" looks like (this reminder prompted by no particular tag, recent or otherwise - it's just a useful reminder).

The "perfect tag" is one that can easily be identified by anybody, even if he rolled into town yesterday, by one of these three measures:

1) The tag location is a well known and famous landmark - here's an example:

2) The tag location can easily be ID'ed with a minimum of Googling - here's an example:

3) If 1) and 2) fail, the tag location can be easily and quicly ID'ed without hesitation by asking any of your neighbors, friends or acquaintances - here's an example:

So, in short - the game is about getting cyclists out the road; not stumping people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011

Sigurd:Very clever - fire truck, fitness equipment: It was all there!

Thanks.

Pretty sure I know where Mark's tag is. I've used that shortcut.
    Updated hint on current tag
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011 edited

Didn't even look at the hint.

First ride on that bike. I think I also placed a tag on the first ride on my Brompton.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011

To Sigurd's criteria, I'd also add that the perfect tag should be organic (nothing artificial) and you shouldn't be rubbed so raw trying to find it that you get burned out on the whole thing.

The last tag was the yard on Louisiana St. near Morley field that always has seasonally appropriate holiday decorations
    • CommentAuthorzonal

Ooh, ooh, I know exactly where that is!
    They'll be re-opening post-fire sometime this month.
    Lots of love for this place.
    Might have to head out that way tomorrow now, especially since it'll be the week's high temp of 75 degrees.
    It's been a while since I've poked around here - what excellent timing.
    Unless someone else recognizes this spot too & doesn't sleep in as I do, of course. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

zonal:Unless someone else recognizes this spot too & doesn't sleep in as I do...

1) I do.
    2)...and I don't.

So look out!

:face-devil-grin:
    Go and get it zonal!
    • CommentAuthorzonal
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011

Uploading from my BlackBerry so if anything's wonky about this post let me know.
    • CommentAuthorzonal
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011 edited

Edited to remove double post wonkiness. :)

Bruced by four minutes, *high-five*

Will be at the beach all afternoon now so next tag will go up tonight or tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity

Bruced!!

•  
      CommentAuthorPaul

zonal:Ooh, ooh, I know exactly where that is!
    They'll be re-opening post-fire sometime this month.
    Lots of love for this place.
    Might have to head out that way tomorrow now, especially since it'll be the week's high temp of 75 degrees.
    It's been a while since I've poked around here - what excellent timing.
    Unless someone else recognizes this spot too & doesn't sleep in as I do, of course. :)

Yes! JP and the crew rule. Until they reopen, I get my fix at Little Italy or Hillcrest farmers markets. I seem to hit Encinitas while they're closed. Go vegan!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

...amazing you two didn't tun into each other @ the tag spot!
    By the shadows on the ground, I'd guess svelocity was there earlier but didn't get the tag posted, as the later zonal bruced him with her BlackBerry wonkiness. Technology rules the playground, even if you're fleet of foot.

Being an Old Knot, I still survive with a landline phone & answering machine, a handheld point & shoot camera, an older edition of PhotoShop for editing tag photos, and piggybacking off my neighbor's wireless internet connection for access to the world and posting to Flicker and these forums. It makes competing difficult but not impossible.

I'm not sure if I'm a cheap SOB or a cleverly frugal citizen. I'm often scratching my head over that one!

OKB

:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity

Sigurd:...amazing you two didn't tun into each other @ the tag spot!

Yeah, I snapped it on my way to work but it sorta slipped my mind after such a nice commute. Chatted with employee, grabbed a cup of Joe...doh! It was too late!! OKB is right...technology does rule the playground.
    • CommentAuthorzonal
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011

Cecil:Yes! JP and the crew rule. Until they reopen, I get my fix at Little Italy or Hillcrest farmers markets. I seem to hit Encinitas while they're closed. Go vegan!

Indeed, Cecil! They're at the OB farmers market too. When I talked to 'em there yesterday, they said they're about two weeks behind schedule on getting the fire-damaged (tag) location fixed up.

Old Knotty Buoy:By the shadows on the ground, I'd guess svelocity was there earlier but didn't get the tag posted, as the later zonal bruced him with her BlackBerry wonkiness.

Excellent deductive skills, OKB!

=-=-

Prior tag is in front of where Peace Pies raw vegan eatery was (& will be again soon!) on Voltaire in OB.

This one is for all others who have lost loved ones in autumn.
    New tag:

"And the rustling of the withered leaf
    Is the constant music of my grief...."
    - Henry David Thoreau
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2011 edited

Next one will be up in a few hours.

•  
      CommentAuthorHans

Dang. Shot my next post before throwing this up. (Sigurd... You dropped your aviators at the base of the tree. I picked them up and placed them about a foot up, on the tree so that nobody would step on them.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2011

Hans - B&L doesn't make this model anymore - I bought this pair in CPH in 1982 and would've been beyond heartbroken if they got lost: I am you forever grateful and owe you big time, Hans!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2011

Here’s the next tag: It’s a little different, so make sure to read the information below.

In a quiet San Diego neighborhood 33 years ago, this unassuming intersection was the “Ground Zero” for an incident that shook the whole nation and beyond (I am not going to reveal the exact date of the incident, because this would give it away).

So, in order to catch the tag, you need to:
    1)  Identify the incident
    2)  Identify the exact location of the incident
    3)  Ride out to the incident intersection location and take a picture where I took mine!

PS!  I was intending to place this tag here on its anniversary this year,  but I was beaten to the preceding tag.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

Moderator edit: This is a valid claim - unless Hans insists he does not want to claim it, I will declare this a valid claim. And his next tag is a valid, current tag.

NOT CLAIMING THIS ONE, just making it more involved.

(Notice how our seat tubes act as a sundial?)

(If Sigurd and I were any closer to each other on that last one, we would have crashed)
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

Moderator edit: Unless Hans insists his claim is not standing, I declare this the new tag.

As the late Paul Harvey would say, "And now you know... the rest of the story".

This story also impacted our city at the same time, yet to a lesser extent. Without knowing the story behind Sigurd's tag, this location would lose it's significance.

The plot thickens!
    THE TAG IS NOT CLAIMED!!!!! But now you have to tell... the rest of the story.:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Hans:NOT CLAIMING THIS ONE, just making it more involved.
    You claimed my tag and placed a new tag validly and you should be claiming it accordingly. We can tell people the story - or to those who don't already know it - when your tag has been claimed. Moderator has edited your posts accordingly to a Valid Claim and a Valid Tag.

Hans:(If Sigurd and I were any closer to each other on that last one, we would have crashed)
    I know we were close - there was no more than 20 minutes between I left the claim location and my return to look for my much beloved shades...

PS! Hans, what happened to your kick stand...

:face-monkey:
    On a beautiful clear autumn morning, in which you could see forever, I was having my usual breakfast, 3 eggs, wheat toast, hash browns & coffee, in the Little Chef in OB on the corner of Cable Street and Newport Avenue. Everything seemed normal, I was reading the paper and chatting up some other customers and then .......word came. How on earth..?..!

OKB
    :face-sad:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011

So - just for clarification: The last two tags are "twin" tags, insofar that although they are taken at two locations, they both relate to the same incident. So if you can identify the common incident (which is really easy!), you need to figure out the two locations that are particularly representative of that incident: Hans already identified one of the two locations, so it is your job to identify the other - that is the current tag!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2011 edited

So, the corner house with the white picket fence?

I have the same B&L aviators, Sigurd. I would also be loathe to lose them. Last pair of shades I lost were Ray-Ban Balorama that had accompanied me on my European Tour. I had just finished body surfing at Pillbox in Solana and was showering off. When I opened my eyes someone had lifted them from the concrete block wall next to the shower. I was furious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2011

wpstoll:So, the corner house with the white picket fence?
    That's the one! Just tell us the incident that happened at that location, which ties it to Sigurds tag, and you have it!
    • CommentAuthorlisi

To continue on this thread I am adding a 3rd tag to this incident in my next tag, to give more to "the rest of the story"...
    • CommentAuthorlisi

Here's the next one which may complete the series...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

lisi:Here's the next one which may complete the series...
    Very clever!

There is actually one more location commemorating the incident, but it would be unsuitable for this game as it is indoors and accessible only by entrance fee (except for the fourth Tuesday of every month!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

•  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

ok... now will someone please tell the damn story behind all this.... i dont get it at all :face-plain:
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

September 25th, 1978. A Boeing 727 and a Cessna 172 collided, and crashed in North Park

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/New-Film-Documents-SD-Plane-Tragedy-90229837.html
    Dwight/Nile- The Boeing landed 30 feet from Sigurds bike.
    32nd/Polk-The Cessna landed where that redwood deck is (30 feet away from my crashed bike), and burned down the pre-school next door.
    North Park Branch Library- A tree was planted and memorial plaque placed there.

Nobody was wearing helmets.:face-angel:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

The Wikipedia article on PSA 182 is pretty informative, too.

There is also a plaque with the names of the ones who perished in the accident int the Aerospace Museum in Balboa Park.

Hans:Nobody was wearing helmets.

•  
      CommentAuthorPaul

I want to give you some more dark San Diego history but I can't get there until Thursday afternoon. If we want to try an unprecedented pre-tag clue, I could give it now and see if anyone beats me to it. Input?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011

Cecil:I want to give you some more dark San Diego history but I can't get there until Thursday afternoon. If we want to try an unprecedented pre-tag clue, I could give it now and see if anyone beats me to it. Input?
    I second the motion. It's an interesting twist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Yes, go ahead and "do what you have to do" in order to present the tag that you want - even if it breaks the 48hr. rule, as an exception.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

I have a feeling it might be closer to my turf than the flight 182 one...
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins

My father was a captain in the SDPD reserves and was at work in Mission Valley when it happened. He was one of the first responders to arrive at the scene. I was on my way to work at Point Loma High School, southbound on I-5 when I saw the huge column of black smoke rising from North Park and thought "that's not right." When I got to work everyone in the office was huddled around the radio listening to the breaking news coverage.
    :face-crying:
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

batmick:I have a feeling it might be closer to my turf than the flight 182 one...

If it's not the tank, you might already have it. Still mulling whether I want to clue it early. I really like this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Cecil: Still mulling whether I want to clue it early.
    There is no requirement on part of the game for you to release a pre-clue - you have already been given an extension to the 48hr. rule: Your choice!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Cecil:
    batmick:I have a feeling it might be closer to my turf than the flight 182 one...

If it's not the tank, you might already have it. Still mulling whether I want to clue it early. I really like this one.

Go for it. Use your extension and enjoy the ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2011

Okay. It would be much better on a Monday (hint) but here it is:

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2011 edited

Cecil:I want to give you some more dark San Diego history but I can't get there until Thursday afternoon.
    Did your "dark San Diego history" reference still apply to the tag, Cecil?

PS! I would love to know where in San DIego it was this sunny today - it has been thick fog and cold here the entire day...
    • CommentAuthorShady John

This is macabre.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

Sigurd:
    Cecil:I want to give you some more dark San Diego history but I can't get there until Thursday afternoon.

ShadyGaga:This is macabre.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2011 edited

Sigurd:

PS! I would love to know where in San DIego it was this sunny today - it has been thick fog and cold here the entire day...

I was in Kearny Mesa and met up with Hans. The sun was shining there late morning and lunch time. So the current tag is that far inland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011

"I don't like Mondays. This livens up the day."

Some people should never be eligible for parole.