Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorwildingb
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2011

Hi,

I work at UCSD and have just moved from PB to NW clairemont. My commute would usually be up santa fe street and then onto gilman drive.

Now i am in clairemont i have a train track blocking me from getting to santa fe street or gilman drive.

However, i used google maps and the directions suggest going down jutland drive, turning left at morena and then crossing the railway tracks to santa fe street. The ride the city feature on this website suggests going via genesee, but that route is both longer and has more traffic.

You can see the suggested route below - anyone used it?
    Any suggestions about getting from morena to santa fe street?

href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Jutland+Dr,+San+Diego,+CA+92117&daddr=Gilman+Dr,+San+Diego,+CA&geocode=FfDp9AEdXVgD-Sld8o2zAQHcgDEVDiDqZRZqjg%3BFah79QEdrRwD-SnpvoYMzQbcgDHlTdxU5e-UCw&hl=en&mra=ltm&dirflg=b&sll=32.84654,-117.22628&sspn=0.050188,0.109177&ie=UTF8&ll=32.822823,-117.228348&spn=0.006275,0.013647&t=h&z=16&lci=bike"
    • CommentAuthorwildingb

Dead link

try this

http://tinyurl.com/4fmuceb
    As far as I know, you can only really get from morena to santa fe down at balboa (and if you were coming from morena south ti would only be more awkward... crossing 4 busy lanes of balboa/waiting on a narrow median- yuck!)
    Coming down from Jutland (which is an awesomely steep little hill. :face-angel:) would mean lots of unnecessary travel.

Your other alternative, arguably more direct, is to take hilly Genesee down from c.mesa, upto governor, down again, then upto and left on Nobel, which takes you to Gilman/across the 5 eventually.

At least, that's how I always did it...
    • CommentAuthorwildingb

Thanks for that.

Although i am going to check out that railways crossing, as if you look from the wonders of streetview you get

http://tinyurl.com/4b7pea5

Which seems to suggest both a clear path to the tracks and plenty of bike tracks

I assume that if you are going to UCSD from north park, hillcrest, linda vista, bay park then this crossing would be useful. I have no idea of the legality of going across the track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

There are several "unofficial" crossings of the tracks but none of them are legal. I'm surprised they show up like that on Googlemaps.

You could also go North on Regents and then take the dirt path down Rose Canyon and cross the tracks underneath the 5/52 interchange. I have done that in the past when I still lived in the area.

Probably best to go scouting on a weekend to find a current crossing without a fence and with decent visibility. A train into the side can ruin your commute like nothing else.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

For the sake of directness and to avoid unnecessary climbing I recommend riding down Jutland to Balboa and making a right on Santa Fe. If you allow yourself to build up some speed, merging with traffic coming off the I-5 and Morena really isn't a problem if you position yourself properly in the lane. Just like in bike racing, faster is safer in most instances. Additionally, you will not be placing yourself at risk of citation for crossing the railroad tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

Hoofing it across the tracks is a PITA, though I usually wear bike shoes, which makes that worse. I'm pretty sure that all of the places it's possible aren't technically legal. You can go down Morena to Balboa to cross back to Santa Fe, which is a fairly long detour. You can go up to Clairemont Mesa to Genesee to Nobel back to the UCSD area. You can take Genesee all the way to UCSD if you need to be on the North side of the campus. You can take Regents to Governor to Genesee. It really would be nice if they made a bike/pedestrian bridge from Morena over the train tracks to Santa Fe somewhere in the vicinity of Jutland.

If you have an MTB, you might be able to take Regents down to the canyon dirt path and get back to the Rose Canyon bike path. I'm not sure if that's actually workable though.
    • CommentAuthorsaintmigs
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2017

I have the same question, some 6 years later. Any updates to the trails or paths connecting Morena and Santa Fe? Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2017

At the end of Jutland, there is a trail around the chain link fence. You can take this down into the concrete drainage channel (Rose Creek). Depending on the water level, it is sometimes possible to walk under the bridge under the tracks. The last time I was there, about 2 months ago, there was still a lot of water in the creek. I was able to ride (MTB) through the water across to the south side of the weir and then climb up the bank. Walking across the tracks here is fairly easy--but this is mostly because there is active construction going on, and I wouldn't do it when workers are there.

I used to cross the track frequently farther north, near the end of Santa Fe, to get to and from trails. But the sad fact is that crossing the tracks anywhere these days (except parts of Rose Canyon) is getting pretty difficult and unpredictable because of all of the construction going on--not to mention that the whole route will be double-tracked, making crossing that much sketchier. There is a crying need for pedestrian/bike bridges, but these have not materialized, though at least one (near the 52/5 junction) has been in the planning stages for 40 years.
    • CommentAuthorLucky
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2017 edited

Here's the Jutland to Santa Fe crossing (mentioned by Shady etc):

I trimmed the overgrown weeds by the chain link fence so it's not horrible. The ramp is sketchy as it has a big sink hole. The stream is crossable by foot. It's slippery AF so I don't recommend riding across. There's a dirt trail to cross then lift your bike over the tracks. If daring or the stream is too deep, you can run across the train bridge too but keep an eye out for the signal lights so you don't encounter a train. I don't think there's room for both of you.

If you ride outside of worker hours, you can avoid being yelled at.

The other crossing at the end of Santa Fe if full of workers, ditto the spot South of these (by the stand up Paddle board shop on Morena) but there are workers there too and the hill you have to climb is very steep.
    • CommentAuthorLucky
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2017 edited

Here's the option I use if I want to avoid workers, Santa Fe to Balboa, mentioned by HMeins above (I travel from PB):

I just stay on the sidewalks on the short Balboa stint both ways (I trimmed the weeds out of my way). Good luck!
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2017

If daring or the stream is too deep, you can run across the train bridge too but keep an eye out for the signal lights so you don't encounter a train. I don't think there's room for both of you.

• CommentAuthorsaintmigs
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2017

Thank you all! Really appreciate it!