Not signed in (Sign In)
    It has come up in conversation several times that there is no fender thread on the forums, so I figured it is high time that some one start one. I normally run planet bike touring fenders although they are currently being painted. My wife has Velo Orange fluted fenders that have been powder coated a nice shade of teal. I find fenders to be indispensable for the bike life style even in San Diego where the weather is generally nice. This has been reinforced by the several rainy days we have had since I removed my fenders last month. I will post a few pictures when I get around to it.

I have heard that Lee (aka crash) has made some beautiful wooden fenders. I would love to see some pictures and hear more about the construction process. I have thought of building some myself, but do not know a good local source for appropriate veneers.

Here are some pictures of compound wooden fenders from www.banjobicycles.com/ that I saw at last years NA Hand-built Bike Show. (they are featured on 2pedal.com)
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2011

There WERE days I'd get wet more from below than above. I'm so glad I got fenders on my bike! Makes dirt roads a bit more interesting when I hear rocks and other debris pass through. Snow riding was also a bit different, but still manageable.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2011

Wish I would have had fenders yesterday. No rain or puddles, but some RV leaving the waste dump station in east Mission Bay left a nice trail of poop directly across the full lane.
    • CommentAuthoreaton
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2011

I took my fenders off today. It will rain tomorrow.
    This is a great inexpensive idea from Lazy Randonneur for adding mudflaps to your fenders. I posted it to this thread. So I can find it again.

• CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2011

I'm rockin' Bluemels Club Special fenders on my commuter bike, which I have relegated to the garage for the summer in favor of racing machines since it is no longer wet or dark (see the Daily Photos thread for pics). After pedaling that boat anchor for months I feel like I'm flying!
    I totally effed up my post. My bad. I meant SKS Commuters. I fixed the rubbing issues. It's just a bit of a squeeze.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2014

Well, the rain finally showed up here so I decided to install the fenders I purchased for my Lemond Buenos Aires. The frame can't fit regular fenders unless I went to real skinny tires, but I didn't want to do that. So in order to get fenders over my 28mm tires, I went with SKS RaceBlade XLs. They are the clip-on type that can be mounted temporarily with rubber straps or more permanently with zip ties. I went with the rubber straps since rain isn't a frequent concern here and they stayed on there pretty firmly, no rattling about. They did a pretty decent job of keeping the spray off the back down, but without coverage on top of the front wheel I found that my tires created kind of a rooster tail of water in front of me when it was especially wet. Overall, I think they are a pretty good solution for bikes without much clearance. I'm getting this bike as rando-ready as possible, which hopefully will mean a dyno wheel some time in the future...Here are a few pics of the set up:

I think the back fender is set a bit too high, I'll have to bring it down a bit.
    image_2

Really wish there was a way to cover the top of the wheel.

image_1