Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011 edited

Gavilan and I talked about riding up and down (and maybe up and down again) Mt. Soledad on 4/30/2011. No real reason or purpose, but I've never ridden up so I thought it would be fun to do. Afterward, we will go to La Jolla Brew House to enjoy some delicious food.

If you would like to join us, you're more than welcome.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011

Yep! Should be fun.... in a very weird way. Kind of celebrating birthdays by climbing the steepest hills in San Diego. :-p

I have suggested we climb up Mt Soledad Road first. To warm up and all. :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011

One climbs hills because it signifies they are over the hill

har har!

If we need a reason on why we are doing this, it is because we are celebrating the end of April. =)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011 edited

gavilan:I have suggested we climb up Mt Soledad Road first.
    Soledad Mountain Road is the most gentle of the ascents to the top and therefore a good place to start. By extension, of course, it is also the longest!
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011

I'm always up for a little Mt Soledad induced pain. :face-devil-grin:

Assuming my legs haven't fallen off from the 50 mile SDMBA Archipelago MTB ride the weekend before...

Soledad Mountain Rd is pretty mellow. Via Capri or Hillside Dr is a bit harder on the legs. :face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

McLovin:I'm always up for a little Mt Soledad induced pain. :face-devil-grin:
    Yeah!

I knew Mr Goat would sign up for this! :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin

gavilan:
    McLovin:I'm always up for a little Mt Soledad induced pain. :face-devil-grin:
    Yeah!

I knew Mr Goat would sign up for this! :face-devil-grin:

goats fly
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

If I'm in town, I may be up for the ride. Soledad Rd and Hillside is my favorite climb.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011 edited

I prefer the quieter routes, of which there are many. My favorite for max. workout is Country Club Drive / Upper Hillside - gates at the top are accessible for peds and bikes, only: Just as steep as Via Capri, but with no traffic.

Incidentally, I recently created maps of many of the primary and secondary (to be used in conjunction with the primary map for complete routing) routes up the mountain - enjoy.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2011

Sigurd:I prefer the quieter routes, of which there are many.

Awww.... so does that mean you're not joining us? Chip has taken a liking to exploring Mt. Soledad via its numerous routes but he'll sandbag it and ride with us. :face-monkey:
    --I am sure he'll join you sometime in one of your rides up there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011

gavilan:Awww.... so does that mean you're not joining us?
    I never said that...
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011

Sigurd:
    gavilan:Awww.... so does that mean you're not joining us?
    I never said that...

True! :face-monkey:
    Many thanks to Sigurd for the tip about Country club rd... did it yesterday, was awesome, fun, &beautiful! ...gonna do it again today!

@sam/gavilian- I would love to be here for this ride, but I'll be stuck in Savannah, GA all that weekend- without a bike...:face-sad:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011 edited

HippyOnaBike:Many thanks to Sigurd for the tip about Country club rd... did it yesterday, was awesome, fun, &beautiful! ...gonna do it again today!
    Glad you liked it - you figured out that the gates at the top are passable, right, for some more climbing up to the Memorial?

If you follow the links to the "Secondary Soledad Routes" earlier in this thread, you will see some equally quiet and beautiful routes up the mountain. As far as overall steepness AND length are concerned, however, Via Capri and Country Club Dr. are top of the heap.

I use Country Club Drive as a litmus test of the shape I am in: If every pedal stroke becomes a battle, you're out of shape. If not...well, you get the idea!
    • CommentAuthorpez
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2011

I'm planning on making this, so go ahead and count me in.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2011

*bump*

It is this Saturday!

We will meet at Just Baked coffee shop on Santa Clara and Mission Blvd in Mission Beach (it is by the boardwalk and also doubles as a surf school) . Will post a time to meet later, but it will be in the morning. We will then ride to one of the easier ascents and then go up and come down and try another one and go up and come down and maybe try another one and maybe another? Then we shall go and eat and make merry at the La Jolla Brew House.

Later on that evening is a Cross Country Tour kick off party at Velo Cult. A couple of Cicloexplorer's friends will be riding from San Diego to VA. So we can continue to bike fun even after the midday merry making.

Everyone is welcome.

See you on Saturday!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Wish I could ride with you but my girls have a swim meet on Coronado.

I need some hill training for an upcoming monster-ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2011 edited

I may try to make it if I wake up early enough.
    • CommentAuthordstone

I might join you all.

On a related note, I don't know if AlanKHG has ever mentioned our challenge down here in Windansea (at the foot of the mountain!), The Five Fold Path to Solitude, but it remains incomplete, and we have been meaning to finish it when we are more in shape. Perhaps we could gather some riders who are still interested post-Saturday for another weekend?

The challenge involves, coincidentally, ascending each of the five hills mentioned in Sigurd's Primary Hills map without significant break in between, circling the monument atop after each climb.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

dstone:The Five Fold Path to Solitude, but it remains incomplete, and we have been meaning to finish it when we are more in shape.
    Those five incl. Capri is a great challenge and goal: I think I would do Capri early just to get it out of the way!
    I did 5 Soledads yesterday, but didn't do LJ mesa or v.capri, instead doing Nautilus twice and Country club/upper hillside once. I also didn't circle the top each time, so I'll have to repeat the challenge with y'all!

Total elevation gain over 20mi= 2200+ft!(680+m)

I'll post the link to the mapmyride route when I'm not in an airport bar, if anyone's interested...
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Depending on the meetup time, I'll try to be there. Sounds like fun. It will be nice to see some of you that I haven't seen in a while as well.
    • CommentAuthorDrew
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011

I'M IN
    give us a time.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011

Gavilan's back in town and was able to confirm meeting time.

Time to meet: 10:30 AM.
    Where: Just Baked
    Departure time: 11:00 AM.
    We'll ride north on Mission Blvd so if you're late or something, just look for us on Mission Blvd.

See you all tomorrow morning!
    • CommentAuthorpez
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2011

I can't make it after all. Bummer. Oh well, perhaps next time. I'm gonna try to be at the down townies ride tomorrow though with the family in tow. Have fun everyone. I'll be pedaling with you in my mind.
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin

Thanks Sam and Gavilan for organizing the ride! I had a great time. It was great to meet t.e.d, billd, dstone, and drew! Good riding with you all! :face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

What an amazing day. Had such a blast. Thanks to Drew for the awesome tour of Soledad, and thanks to everyone for being such great company.

• CommentAuthorSam

What a fantastic ride and such lovely company! Thanks to Drew for leading and to everyone else for v. helpful input and suggestions.

Gavilan, McLovin, billd and I only made it to the two fold path to Solitude (Mr. Soledad Rd and Nautilus), t.e.d, dstone and Drew did the three fold path to solitude (Via Capri being the third).

The views from the top were truly stunning. That alone is worth riding up.

Proof that we made it up:

Rode up to the top of Mt. Soledad!

And apologies to billd for my faux pas. You can blame it on my general idiocy.:face-devil-grin:

Thank you to everyone who came out. It was a fantastic day!
    • CommentAuthordstone

Wonderful ride. Drew showed Ted and I up Hillside Dr, which ended on Via Capri. I think Sigurd had mentioned this route in the forums, but I must second his recommendation for exploring this route. It was gorgeous, convoluted, and somewhat hidden- amounting to a just dandy ascent.

On another note, someone at the cafe we began at mentioned that they had researched a SANDAG report that detailed the allotment of highway funds, along with the sources of funding for highway/road maintenance/construction. Could someone post a link to that report?

Thanks for the great climbs! Good to meet all of y'all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Jo and I went (bike) thrift-hunting in NP and Normal Hghts this morning (found a cashmere half-zip for a grand total of $2!). So I did Soledad this afternoon, instead. Mostly did the back roads (Via Valverde, Country Club, Candlelight, Muirlands Vista, Hillside, Nautilus, LJ Mesa) , as usual, including the "truck trail" paralleling Capri to the south.

Also, ran into Herbert J. on Nautilus: He does 10.000 feet of elevation gain, 7 days a week on Soledad (what's that - 15-20 climbs a day?): It would be nice to be in that kind of shape at 67...

Too bad I missed your ride!
    • CommentAuthordstone

Truck trail....care to elaborate?

Sigurd: Mostly did the back roads (Via Valverde, Country Club, Candlelight, Muirlands Vista, Hillside, Nautilus, LJ Mesa) , as usual, including the "truck trail" paralleling Capri to the south.

The...N-fold Path to Solitude? Wow!

And anyone know what the deal with this gorgeous mosaic dome Ted, Drew, and I noticed on Soledad Road, on the way to Hillside Dr? It was interesting and uncommon. (Hopefully that link will send you straight to street view. If not, go in to street view and look around for it!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

dstone:Truck trail....care to elaborate?

I would be happy to - look here (narrow road marked as "Hillside Dr." - it is closed to cars with several gates). It is paved, but very rutted -.a hundred times nicer than riding Capri.

dstone:The...N-fold Path to Solitude? Wow!

I am afraid not - in rambling off the street names, I failed to clarify that they were both ascents or descents: I reckon I did the mountain about three times all in all today.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

Awesome ride and hang out time today, guys. Great to meet you t.e.d., dstone and drew.
    Bill, thanks so much for hanging back with me and Sam. Super nice to chat (however short-breathed I was) with you while climbing.

Quite frankly I was over-thinking it and dreading the climb, but It wasn't as painful as I thought. Yay for being able to climb Mt Soledad!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2011 edited

I had a great time today. I've really got to try harder to make it to more of these group rides. I was a little bummed to leave you all early. I had a family thing in Yorba Linda to get to that I just got back from.

More proof that we did it:

gavilan, Sam, McLovin, t.e.d, Drew and dstone:

gavilan, Sam, billd, t.e.d, McLovin and Drew:

Hanging back and chatting with gavilan and Sam was fun. I did have my little fun on the last bit of the second ascent. For some reason I enjoy doing a hard kick just before the summit of a climb, and I was feeling fresh from the slow pace we were taking so I was a bit more energetic than I would have been if I had been pushing the whole way, and that made that final sprint that much more fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Did the "Five Fold Path to Solitude" early this morning (GPS track). Dstone, AlanKHG, or anybody else - if you want to do this as a small group some time, I am ready to go again.

When traveling one of the Great Roadie Silk Roads such as the main routes up and down Soledad, the amount of resources (time and equipment) that go into the sport becomes strikingly clear. As well as how great shape many of these roadies are in!

For now, back to my regular Soledad back roads.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2011

Sigurd:

Also, ran into Herbert J. on Nautilus: He does 10.000 feet of elevation gain, 7 days a week on Soledad (what's that - 15-20 climbs a day?): It would be nice to be in that kind of shape at 67...

Too bad I missed your ride!

Would have been good to have you on the ride. Too bad you missed it. Good find on the thrifting expedition. I've had some good luck with cashmere in the thrift stores up here too.

I wonder if Herbert J. is the same guy Drew was talking to me about. Does he wear a SD Bicycle Club outfit while riding? Everything else sounds just like him...especially now that you mentioned he rides up and down 15-20 times a day, it explains how Drew sees him all the time all over and around Mt. Soledad.

I have to say that climbing University up to Pershing was such a piece of cake after yesterday's ride. I'd love to do it again and shoot for maybe 4 next time or even 5...but still at my usual pokey pace. As I mentioned to some of you yesterday, I always have enough reserve energy to ride all the way home and then deal with potential emergency situations that may arise. I can't expend it all racing up a little hill. :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

If we decide to do this ride again, I would love to stay off the main arteries and instead show some of the off-the-beaten tracks up the mountain.

Yes, he is often in SDBC kit -- no doubt the same guy that Drew told you about; he is a bit of a cycling celebrity on Soledad. I saw him again today; we chat when heading in the same direction.

dstone:And anyone know what the deal with this gorgeous mosaic dome Ted, Drew, and I noticed on Soledad Road, on the way to Hillside Dr? It was interesting and uncommon.
    I believe it is just a "regular" residence.
    • CommentAuthorDrew
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2011

Sigurd,
    I've always wondered about that guy. I see him alllllllll the time when I go up or down the hill. Good to know I'm not going crazy.

If we do that ride again, going though the side streets would be awesome. There are some cool little pockets on the hill.

Dave, The dome is just part of a house. Nothing too special. My friends call it the dragon house after the dragon lanterns that hang off the wall at the front gate.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2011

I rode the Five Fold Path to Solitude yesterday to make up for the lack of riding in a long while. Thank you Sigurd for the map, and to Hippy and dstone and lisi (IIRC) for having ridden the five fold path and proving it was possible. It wasn't all that hard, to be honest, and I wasn't sore yesterday nor am I sore this morning.

Proof:
    The Five Fold Path to Solitude - DONE!!!!!

HAPPY!!!!
    • CommentAuthorlisi

Sam:I rode the Five Fold Path to Solitude yesterday to make up for the lack of riding in a long while. Thank you Sigurd for the map, and to Hippy and dstone and lisi (IIRC) for having ridden the five fold path and proving it was possible. It wasn't all that hard, to be honest, and I wasn't sore yesterday nor am I sore this morning.

Proof:
    The Five Fold Path to Solitude - DONE!!!!!

HAPPY!!!!

Congratulations, Sam! Sadly, I have not yet completed the five fold path, only a two fold. :(
    Perhaps next time we can ride up there and do it together. Id' like to do it soon!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2011 edited

Sam:I rode the Five Fold Path to Solitude yesterday.
    That's a pretty good workout! (Here's the GPS track of mine).
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

I've done all of those but not in the same day. Congrats on doing Via Capri!
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2015

Anyone want to do this with me (very very out of shape) tomorrow early AM? I have to be back home by 3pm. Planning on 5am start from City Heights. As many Soledads until i fall in heap of exhaustion.

Anyone?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2015

Arrrgggh! Would love to, Sam, but I have an appointment with Mt Helix tomorrow. :oP Maybe next time! :o)