Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2011 edited

North County Cyclists now have their own "Tag-o-Rama" game!

Thanks to Alan for showing us how bicyclists do this in Pittsburgh (their Tag-o-Rama thread which is only six months old has almost 2,000 posts and 40 pages!). We borrowed some of the structure we are using from fellow Pittsburgh cyclists, who in turn took inspiration from similar Tag-o-rama games done by MC and cyclist groups in PA, OH, VA and elsewhere

A tag isn't really an actual tag - it is just a picture of your bike in an interesting or well-known location, perhaps with some hints if you think seekers need it. The photo has to be current, and the "post" photo has to be taken after the "find" photo! Members here will figure out where the tag is, and go out to take a picture in the same location, with their own bike in a similar position. The finder is then the new "it", and he gets to place the next tag: Continue ad infinitum!

For now, check out the rules:

#1: If you're "it", find somewhere relatively easy to place a tag - the game is about getting people out on their bikes (see #2),
    not about Googling: Somewhere scenic, well known or for some reason special or interesting will do.
    Take a picture (no file or recycled photos, or Google Street View, allowed - again, this is about riding your bike!) of your bike in the tag location.
    Post on SD BIkecommuter.com (you will need an account with a hosting site such as Photobucket, Picasa or Flickr to host your photo).

#2 The first finder (the one who posts a picture of his bike in the correct location) is the new "it", If you are not first (you have been "Bruced"!), post your photo, anyways (see #3).

#3: As "it", you have 48 hours to place a new tag. If you don't, the honor of being "it" transfers to the second finder/poster.
    In short, if you don't have the time or inclination to place a tag, don't grab it in the first place!

#4: You need to ride your bicycle to and fro, and include it in your tag photo!

#5: To keep the tag moving, please limit yourself to South of Camp Pendleton, West of I-5, North of Carmel Valley Road
    Since there are only a handful of bike commuters in north county, please keep "tags" close to the PCH area.

#5: No whining!

#6 (edit): The photo needs to be physically posted to the board - a URL to it is not sufficient for a catch.

Get it? If not, check out the Pittsburgh thread for how it is done, and then ask here!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2011 edited

I will start it off. This is near a train station and an art district. If you do find it enjoy a healthy food and beverage out on the patio :face-monkey:
    IMG00062-20110414-1649
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2011

I won't know where many of the North County locations are but If I have the time I would love to try to tag a location. Extra miles means extra fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011

I will try to catch the ones I know where are - good incentive for some longer rides!
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

Schweet! I have no idea where that is, but I'll keep my eyes open. Heh.
    Updated the hint as I only discovered this recently even though I've been living in north county for 6 years. We started a group ride here few weeks ago. So if you've seen some of my previous posts and pictures, you may discover the location
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

I think I know where this is and will try to get it on my ride home tonight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Got it!

Claire's on Cedros, across from the Solana Beach station.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

And here's the next one. Go get it!

Hint: Those stairs to the beach are NOT made of wood.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011 edited

Corner of South El Portal and Neptune
    NIce. Too bad I will be away all weekend.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011 edited

Wet ride this morning to get there but definitely worth it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011

Beat me to it. Neptune is one-way northbound, so I had planned on hitting it on the ride home.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011 edited

Go get it....I'll rotate the photo and re-post tonite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

markphilips:Go get it....I'll rotate the photo and re-post tonite.

Neato! The new face along the coast. Go get it Bill. I'm meeting my girls in Solana Beach tonight so won't be riding by the Moai.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Tag

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Next:

Bike long, and prosper ...
    I'VE SEEN THAT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2011

Tag!

I don't usually ride that way but this was too tempting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2011

OK, that last one was the Leucadia Cyclery at the corner of Leucadia Blvd. and Vulcan Ave.

Next one is a little harder.

Take a plunge all you girls and boys!

Go RSD !!!
    I think I know where that is but I wonder if someone else will beat me to it... Come forth and let me know if you do as I will give you a chance to find it until tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2011 edited

If it's where I think it is, it's east of I5....

•  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2011

bikingbill:If it's where I think it is, it's east of I5....

Nope, that's not it. This one is definitely west of I5. You can actually see it from the 5.

The hints are below the picture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2011

batmick:
    Nope, that's not it. This one is definitely west of I5. You can actually see it from the 5.

The hints are below the picture.

Got it. Nice location. Won't be there anytime soon.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2011

Dang... no idea. I need to go out more. :face-monkey:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

gavilan:Dang... no idea. I need to go out more. :face-monkey:

Google is your friend and all the key words are there... :face-devil-grin:
    It was fun to watch 20 or more swimmers practice laps.

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Hipster park jobs!

:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

markphilips:It was fun to watch 20 or more swimmers practice laps.

My daughters are two of them. I'm on my way there (again) now to meet them.

Congrats!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

I knew where this one was; been there for a water polo game:Just didn't have the time to go get it...:face-sad:
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2011 edited

Yeah, Mark is all over the place. :)

I'm curious to know where this was but I know I have to wait till he posts the next tag. It looks a lot like the pool on the high school (I think?) in Nautilus street but I know it's not there as these peeps ramble around further north than that...
    I rode the cruiser yesterday. Here's the next tag...

•  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2011

I think I know that place. A high-calorie corner of the county, if I'm not mistaken.

Btw., that last one was the pool of the Boys and Girls Club of Solana Beach. Home of the RSD swim team.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011 edited

Got it!

This is turning into a two man game here, Mark. I thought there were more of us up North.

Btw. my cell phone camera sucks!

It was so hard to resist temptation from the two establishments to the left... Hmmmm! Empty calories, my favorite!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011

May I assume that was in Cardiff?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

batmick:
    This is turning into a two man game here, Mark. I thought there were more of us up North.

Hey, I can't help it if I have to work 7 to 5. :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

If I ever knew one of the location's I would be inclined to ride all the way up there to grab a tag. 40 or 50 miles round trip up the coast from Clairmont sounds like fun.
    I meant to post the Bike-o-rama on craigslist but got too busy. I also plan to attract more players with vinyl letters on the car.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips

Of course, if VC doesn't mind a free ad for sdbikecommuter.com in north county.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

OK, after getting the tag this morning next door to VG Donuts and Bakery and the Beach City Cafe in Cardiff I was hungry all day.

Because I was thinking of food all day my next tag is also of the culinary kind.

Feel free to ride up from downtown to get this. You'll be able to replenish those calories and then some in the most delicious fashion. Bon appetit!

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

markphilips:Of course, if VC doesn't mind a free ad for sdbikecommuter.com in north county.

Not at all Mark. It's your forum too.

:face-angel:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Love the "Tag This" sign. Revolutionarily Good Food too ...
    I actually don't know this one but I'll keep an open eye
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2011

Bill gave a hint with the "revolutionary".
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2011

It's a bit of a climb to get there, but if you have been 'training' ... you'll have no problems :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2011

bikingbill:It's a bit of a climb to get there, but if you have been 'training' ... you'll have no problems :-)

Not if you come from the South.

Looks like we need another hint.

#1 revolutionary but not Che.

#2 it is less than a mile from my last location.
    I figure it would be because there's not that many hills between I-5 and PCH.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2011

Too busy to hit this. But if it's still open on Saturday Morning ....
    Go get it Bill. It's all yours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2011

Tagged!

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2011

This will be interesting ...