Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2017 edited

New tag:
    DSC05503

Hint: Looking north. It's on a lovely lagoon preserve on the popular cycling route to Rancho Santa Fe from the coast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2017

Are you allowed to bike there now? That's new.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2017

bikingbill:Are you allowed to bike there now? That's new.

Oh, I didn't see any no bike sign, so I assumed yes. :) Just in case, tho, I'm dropping off an alternate tag at an easier location:
    DSC06005
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2017

Hmm, might be tempted to ride up that way this weekend...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2018

Hohoho, I'm just dropping off a 2nd alternate tag just a bit down the road (and at an easier-to-stop location). :)
    DSC07039
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2018

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2018

• CommentTimeJan 13th 2019 edited

I don't know where the current tag is. Must be North of Encinitas. But just for fun I'll add my Bruce of the previous tag:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2019

Hint. My bike is sitting on astroturf.
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2019

Thanks Bill, but I'm not getting it. is it north of La Costa?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2019

Shady John:Thanks Bill, but I'm not getting it. is it north of La Costa?

South of Encinitas.
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2019

Interesting. Clearly there is territory within my range that I have not adequately explored.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2019

Shady John:Interesting. Clearly there is territory within my range that I have not adequately explored.

North of Del Mar.

That should narrow things down a bit :-)
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2019

Planning my mission now.
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2019

I don't have a kickstand

• CommentTimeJan 26th 2019

The previous tag was at Fletcher Cove, on the little bluff on the south side behind the lifeguard shed. I was literally 50 yards from the tag a couple weeks ago--I never knew about that overlook.

Here's the next tag:

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2019

Shady John:I don't have a kickstand

One trick is to use your helmet and the left pedal to stand up a bike.

•  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2019

Taggggg!
    DSC03102

Solana Beach Post Office. :) Finally got to play again. It's been a long while since I rode down the coast. It's been raining a lot on my days off, and then when the weather cooperates, I'd rather go inland this time of year while it's cool and relatively bug-free.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2019

New tag... not that far from the old one. :)
    DSC03153
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2019

Smorg:New tag... not that far from the old one. :)
    DSC03153

Wow, it's been a while since we had a bike shop in Cardiff (1990's to be precise). Cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2019

It's a cool little shop, Bill. :) The guy in red shorts sitting in the shot is the owner. I'm afraid I've forgotten his name, but he's really friendly and was out there cleaning a bottom bracket. He says the shop's been there a while. I just accidentally stumbled on it while snooping my way back inland while avoiding the main roads.
    Tag!

The owner of the shop is named Eric. He specializes in antique/vintage bikes, especially cruisers and casual bikes. He had some beautiful restored 50s and 60s bikes out front.
    Here's the new tag:

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2019

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2019

That was Pannikin in Leucadia

•  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2019

Oooh. You guys have been busy! :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2019

It just so happened that a couple of friends are in town to do the San Diego Century, so I got to ride the Coast Hwy for a bit. :)

Tag!
    DSC04450

Leucadia is trying hard to be bike-friendly now. Hope they keep it up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2019 edited

New tag:
    DSC04445

Something for Leucadia to aspire to... maybe? :)

Hint: From another angle, looking north.
    DSC04446
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2019

Ooooh! I've been meaning to try that path, now that it is officially open. My daily commute takes me either East or West of it. Hope I remember to stop and take a picture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2019

It's really quite nice. :) Alas, some morons had already gone and made Strava segments out of it. I went on a flagging spree on those, but was not allow to flag the downhill ones (which makes no sense whatsoever). :( It's a great path to ride slowly on, enjoying the view and saying hi to cute dogs and babies in strollers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2019

I rode it and saw the Strava Segments. :-(
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2019

Planners lay out roads in straight lines where possible. Why do planners design bike and pedestrian paths in meandering curves, which make you travel a greater distance? Do they enjoy making people do more work? Do they enjoy using more land and more construction materials? What is the rationale? Just another man-made aspect of our environment that never made sense to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2019

Hehehe, maybe they think cyclists and runners need more exercise? :oD

It frustrates me to no end when I'd walk to the grocery stores for my weekly shopping (it's only half a mile away, so I usually just walk). The planners up here in Vista seem bent on minimizing distance for drivers and maximizing them for pedestrians. The intersections here are the worst. They fix it so there is no ped crossing on one side of the intersection just so cars on the main road can freely turn right on red. So a lot of time, to get across the main street you actually have to make three crossings - like a complete U-turn, and waiting for the light for each one (and repeat the process on the way back).

It's no wonder people here would drive a mile to the stores. If you're driving, you get the straight line to everything... and the car lane doesn't just suddenly disappear on you. Ever.
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2019

Here in UTC, when everything was laid out in the 1960s, a couple of pedestrian overpasses were included. However, in order to fit them in without disturbing cars, the overpasses were placed so that the pedestrians have to walk several hundred yards out of their way to use them. Kind of defeats the purpose.