Not signed in (Sign In)
    I was talking to my ex today and he was saying it would be easier if I took my bike on the freeway so I figured I would ask here- are bikes allowed on the freeway? I think it would be a bad due to the distracted drivers and all the debris.
    • CommentAuthordstone
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2011

I believe you are allowed to ride on the freeway (as in,the interstate) only when no other bike route exists between two freeway exits. Otherwise cyclists and pedestrians alike are prohibited, as every on-ramp will tell you.

One example of where bikes can ride on the freeway is between the Genessee Ave and Sorrento Valley exits on I-5. Ask AlanKHG about it, he commutes that route every day (and I am sure there are others).

The question of whether or not it is prudent to do so- that is up to you. A 70 MPH speed differential is pretty terrifying, though I hear it is pretty amusing to pass cars in traffic jams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

Most on ramps have a sign that says: "PEDESTRIANS - BICYCLES - MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLES - PROHIBITED" and so you can't.

It's only allowed when there is no reasonable alternate route available. There are very few places that I know of in San Diego that it is allowed (that sign isn't at these on ramps):

I-5 between Genesee and Roselle St (Sorrento Valley)
    I-15 between Pomerado Rd/W Bernardo Dr and Via Rancho Parkway across Lake Hodges

I'm not sure if I-5 through Camp Pendleton is open all the time or just when the USMC restricts bicyclists from passing through the base.

Note that where it's allowed, you're supposed to stay on the shoulder and you have to exit at the next off ramp. Crossing ramps is not allowed.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

I-5 from Las Pulgas Rd to the Camp Pendleton exit in Oceanside is open to bicycles 24/7.
    Thank you all, I was curious about that.
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG

There are several bits of freeway that are open in the county that are open to cyclists, as well as many roads Caltrans or the county was good enough to build like freeways to make sure any nonmotorized road user is constantly scared for their life.

The county bike map shows which freeways are open to cyclists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Is the section of I15 over Lake Hodges still open now that the bike bridge exists?

I have taken this in the past and is definitely NOT for the faint of heart.

I occasionally do the part down the Genesee ramp to Sorrento Valley. While not pretty it does not seem as scary as the I15 trip.
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG

I don't really mind the I-5 section now that I'm used to it. You definitely need to take the lane on the first part of the onramp to avoid close passes but after that you have a 10+ foot wide shoulder; it was dirty this winter but when I finally got around to emailing Caltrans they had it scrubbed clean within a day & they seem to have added it onto their maintenance schedule since then.

There's also nothing as fun as when I leave during rush hour and the freeway's congested enough that I'm blowing past traffic despite heading uphill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

batmick:Is the section of I15 over Lake Hodges still open now that the bike bridge exists?
    Kathy mentioned that it was as recently as a few months ago. Apparently the bridge is supposed to be "closed" at night.
    • CommentAuthorSam

I wish (WISH) they would open all the freeways to cyclists. It is noisy as hell, but I love riding on it. It is flat (compared to the ridiculous up and down we have to put up with), WIDE, most have rumble strips and have TONS of signage and REST STOPS. EVERYONE knows directions in terms of freeways.

If I had a ton of money I would make sure all freeways are open to anyone who wants to use them. It is lucky for all governing bodies that I don't.

That is all. Your question has already been answered lucky penny....I'm just ranting here so don't mind me.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011

There are quite a few places across the state where cyclists are permitted on freeways. 101 between Carpinteria and Emma Wood State Beach in Ventura comes to mind as well as 101 between Smith River and Crescent City, and 101 between Orcutt and Vandenberg AFB. There are also some places on I-5 in the Central Valley, although I have never ridden on them. My experience is that riding on freeway shoulders is much safer than riding on surface streets that have cross traffic at intersections and driveways. No one is going to left cross or right hook you on the freeway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Do cyclists ride I15 en-route to Vegas? I recall seeing some on it.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

That's another one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Vegas. Yeah, it looks like you do RT66 and then get onto I15 north of Barstow (taking Yermo as far as you can). Then take the exit into Baker, get back onto I15, then in Nevada get on the parallel road when it shows up a bit past the border.
    • CommentAuthorslobiker

I was under the impression that the I-8 between Willows Rd. at the east end of Alpine was open to bicyclists to the 79 turn-off to Descanso. And I think the reverse (79 to Willows) is also true.

I've ridden it and no one stopped me. One guy was honking at me but I think because he thought it looked unusual.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

Where Hwy. 80 is subsumed by I-8 cyclists may ride there as well. There are miles of such freeway between Alpine and Yuma. Forgot about those parts!
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin

Nothing constructive to add here other than to say I also quite enjoy passing jammed up cars on the Sorrento Valley I-5 onramp. :face-devil-grin: That's part of my daily commute, though just recently I found a little fire road that will let me ride from Roselle to Eastgate Mall, so I'll probably do that from now on to avoid the freeway.
    That fire road is great but be warned it gets pretty muddy when it rains. I have found I don't mind the freeway shoulder part *nearly* as much as heading up Genessee towards UTC. That first quarter mile going uphill from I-5 has no shoulder, lots of impatient morning traffic, and a high-speed merge coming off the 5 north offramp. Makes me very cranky. The freeway is cake compared to that.
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2011

The 5 freeway isn't bad at all as long as you take the lane on the Gennessee entrance. The shoulder is wide and cleaned upon request. I feel much safer there than heading north from downtown LJ on the narrow, dirty Torrey Pines bike lane which has blind corners for traffic turning in.
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011

BellaBluefish:That fire road is great but be warned it gets pretty muddy when it rains. I have found I don't mind the freeway shoulder part *nearly* as much as heading up Genessee towards UTC. That first quarter mile going uphill from I-5 has no shoulder, lots of impatient morning traffic, and a high-speed merge coming off the 5 north offramp. Makes me very cranky. The freeway is cake compared to that.

Noted, thanks! I completely agree about that portion of Genesee, kinda sketchy at times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2015

Ha! Somehow stumbled on this old tread, so I think I'll add what I've found riding around. :o)

This map shows all the bikeable bits of freeway in the county (purple sections denoting 'freeway shoulder bike access').

Bikeable freeway shoulder stretches:
    I-5 between Las Pulgas and Harbor Dr (Oceanside)
    I-5 between Roselle/Sorrento Valley Blvd and Genessee Ave (UCSD area)
    I-15 between Via Rancho Pkwy and W Bernardo/Pomerado (Lake Hodges)
    I-805 between Main St and Palm Ave (Otay Valley)
    125 between Birch Rd and Otay Mesa Rd (Otay Ranch)
    I-8 between E Willow and Hwy 79/Japatul Valley Rd (E Alpine)

IMG_7584

I haven't seen any sign telling cyclists that bicycle is allowed on the next stretch of the freeway at any on-ramp, tho you sort of know it by omission, so to speak... the white sign at the on ramp will just prohibit pedestrians and doesn't say anything about bicycles. :oP At the off-ramp on the far end of the bike-allowed stretch of the freeway, though, you see the white sign telling bicycles to get off.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2015

Sometimes

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2015

mfutch:Sometimes
    Salmoning, no less.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg

Ha! Maybe this Sunday? ;o) It's rock n roll time of year again.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

I have to referee the cycling events at the US Police and Fire Games this Sunday, or I'd be down for some 163 occupation!
    • CommentAuthorT

Still excited for the 15-N separated bike lane that will go from Adams down into mission valley at camino del rio south ... construction to start in the next 1-2 years!