Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2015 edited

Well said, Erik!

And I didn't care about his "If you 'shadow box' at the wall but carefully stop your fist about 50 mm before it reaches the wall (be sure it's limited by your arm's length), no harm will come to your fist. If, without changing your position, you slip a 75 mm thick piece of styrofoam against the wall and repeat the punch, you'll get compressed (and cracked) styrofoam and false 'evidence' that it saved you from harm. In other words, many impacts of helmets would be near misses with bare heads," either.

I suspect that most of the time it is the other way around (people don't think they had hit their head during a crash, while if fact they did... and then wondered why the neck hurt the next day or why there's a tender spot or two on the head). I have seen a few crashes now, and when the head hit, it usually isn't a glancing blow where the head wouldn't make contact with the ground or the wall had the extra inch of helmet not been on it type of 'hit'. :oP

Being against mandatory helmet law is one thing, spinning it to make wearing helmet seems more useless or even dangerous than not is quite another thing altogether. :oP
    •  
      CommentAuthorCornelia
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2015

The arguable science aside, I think the article has some good points. It is also no news that helmet protection is overrated and can give a false sense of security leading to riders taking more risks than they can handle (helmets are not a suitable replacement for bike handling skills and street smarts).

I'm against the mandatory helmet law not only because it is not fair but more so because it is plain and simple stupid.

For the anecdotal section: yep, I cracked a helmet once by stepping on it, nope, I don't really think it saved my life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2015 edited

I don't think that they are useless. I usually wear one while riding. I do think that a lot of people seem to think that they offer a lot more protection than they actually do and that's a big part of what's going on with the people who support mandatory helmet laws.
    • CommentAuthorJSnook
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2015

I saw my buddy's helmet split first hand when he went OTB and impacted hard right at the top of his forehead. His oakleys were in pieces and his nose was mangled as the helmet pushed the sunglasses down onto his nose as the helmet crushed under the impact. Other than the couple of lacerations on his nose and some sore muscles and scrapes he was fine and was back riding within days. I'd love to see the look someone would have got telling him his helmet didn't save him from a major injury there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld

On my racing bike and my touring bike, I almost always wear my helmet. On my cruiser, hardly ever. I ride a lot slower on the cruiser and in an upright position which makes the risk of hitting my head lower. The lower speed actually makes a crash less likely as well. There are different types of riding.
    I am against more helmet laws
    The helmet improves your chances of surviving and decreases possibility of head injury, to what degree? I dont care, nuff said-I choose to wear mine.

Best argument for wearing one I have heard:

WHEN you do get hit by a motorist, the non-helmet wearing plaintiff will most likely find they have no rights in court.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2015

I think that is also the best argument against the law, insurance companies and motorists who hit cyclists will be looking to get off the hook for killing/maiming someone based on whether or not they were wearing a helmet. This law isn't about safety, it's about liability (reducing it).
    • CommentAuthorerik
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2015

Yes, I think the helmet law shifts responsibility in a bad way, and risks derailing the conversation about real safety improvements. While I almost always wear a helmet, and think it is a general good idea, I do not think it would protect me in many of the traffic collisions I see on the news. Those are the real problem.

As an aside on this law: I really don't want to be forced into wearing high-vis. It makes it much less appealing to bike to the theater or a business meeting...
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2015

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2015

Cornelia:The arguable science aside, I think the article has some good points. It is also no news that helmet protection is overrated and can give a false sense of security leading to riders taking more risks than they can handle (helmets are not a suitable replacement for bike handling skills and street smarts).

Courage For Your Head - Actual Bell Helmet advertising slogan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2015

I wear a helmet on the recumbent, not on the Brompton.

I'd be safer if I wore in the automobile.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2015

A 2001 NYT article noting that over the previous decade, head injuries were up while helmet use was also up but ridership was down.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/29/business/a-bicycling-mystery-head-injuries-piling-up.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2015

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2015

Excellent article
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2015 edited

Good riddance.

But I was looking forward to watching the SDPD doing a helmet roadblock on the Mission Beach Boardwalk in July,
    • CommentAuthorerik
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2015

Remember those airbag helmets? I was wondering when we would start seeing videos like this:

https://instagram.com/p/23SL7Ln6hR/
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2015

LOL
    • CommentAuthorbossvoss
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2015

I wonder when the recall starts?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2015

I recently noticed that much of much of Washington state has mandatory helmet laws for adults.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/bike/helmets.htm
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2015

Including Seattle which has a successful bike share program called "Pronto"

https://www.prontocycleshare.com/faq#Helmet

even WITH the helmet law and rainy weather, Pronto is kicking butt in it's first year out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2015

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2016 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2016

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2016

Bradley Wiggins has been an outspoken supporter of mandatory helmet laws. Recently spotted riding a Boris bike sans helmet.

http://road.cc/content/news/178332-has-sir-bradley-wiggins-changed-his-mind-compulsory-cycle-helmets
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2016

billd:
    Yes
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2016

Why Helmets Aren’t the Answer to Bike Safety — In One Chart (Bike Related Thread)

Better street design and getting more people on bikes — not blind faith in helmets — are the keys to making cycling safer, recent research has shown.

Want a good visual to get the point across? The Toole Design Group made this for you.

Of these countries, the U.S. has the highest rate of helmet usage among cyclists — around 55 percent — but also the highest cyclist fatality rate per distance traveled. Meanwhile, in the Netherlands, where helmet use is practically nil, cycling is much, much safer.

While this is just eight data points, higher helmet use seems to be associated with higher fatality rates. Intuitively, that makes some sense. The more dangerous an activity, the more people feel inclined to take steps to protect themselves.

Despite the high rate of helmet use in the U.S., helmet campaigns have clearly failed to make cycling as safe as it should be. If anything, they’ve distracted from the much more important work of designing safer streets and reducing motor vehicle speeds in cities.

http://usa.streetsblog.org/2016/06/02/why-helmets-arent-the-answer-to-bike-safety-in-one-chart/

I wear a helmet on the fast bike, because I ride at motorcycle speeds on descents. Not on the folder.

Also, Risk Compensation is a real thing. "Courage for your Head" is an actual hemet ad slogan.
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2016

the anti helmet people with their studies remind me of the john oliver show regarding science studies being skewed to fit one's needs:

•  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2016

I'm not for mandating helmet on adult riders, but this framing helmet recommendation/endorsement for safety as 'blind faith in helmet' thing is getting old.

The hardest I had ever hit my head from any bike crash was back in 1993 when I hit a speed bump at walking pace, my left hand slipped off the handlebar and I landed head first on the hard tarmac. Knock my head hard enough that I couldn't see for at least a few minutes (couldn't even lift my head off the ground, for that matter). That would have been quite different had I had a helmet on... and I couldn't have been going faster than 3 or 4 mph.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2016

You don't/can't know that. It's even possible you would have had a torsional movement imparted with worse injury.

While I do wear a helmet on the fast bike, I'd really like to see this studied with the sane sort of diligence automobile crashes are studied.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2016

Well, at least I do know that there wouldn't be a gash where my head hit the ground had I been wearing a helmet then.

What I'm not for here is ridiculous caricature and over-simplification of opposite opinions and framing things in such a way to promote confirmation bias. The helmet isn't going to prevent every sort of head and neck injury in every crash... even car seat belt can't stop people from getting killed in car accidents, but using it does prevent many more head injury than not. You can have torsional movement on impact even without a helmet on. Most people are bike racers wannabes and crash at lower speed than you see on tv. It's in slower speed crashes that the helmet makes the most difference.

I don't know anyone here who says anything against better design traffic infra or increasing bicycle ridership, do you? Why must advocating those come at the expense of hacking on the use of helmet? This blind faith generalization thing can go both ways, you know?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

I am not against people wearing helmets. I wear one. I just want to see better science applied to them.
    • CommentAuthorJSnook

That helmet graph is hard to draw any conclusion about the safety contribution of a helmet in my opinion, but it does show clearly that there are certain countries where cycling has much lower fatality rates than others. For example Denmark, Holland, Germany and Sweden have very low fatality rates compared to the others. USA is quite a bit higher but UK and France are also significantly higher in fatality rate.

There are probably way too many confounding factors to draw any correlation between helmet usage rate and mortality though. It is very likely that the cycling populations in these different countries represent different age groups, income levels, types of routes/infrastructure, etc. It would make more sense to look at a defined population (not a whole country) that eliminates possible confounding variables and compare mortality between helmet users and non-helmet users.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2016

I'd also like to see a study on Risk Mitigation.

Do cyclists ride differently with and without a helmet? Do automobile drivers treat cyclists differently based on this as well.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2018 edited

VTechHelmetTest
    New independent test ranks bicycle helmet safety
    https://cyclingtips.com/2018/06/new-independent-test-ranks-bicycle-helmet-safety/
    by James Huang
    June 26, 2018
    Photography by Virginia Tech

HELMET RATINGS
    Five-star (Best Available):
    Bell Stratus MIPS
    Bontrager Ballista MIPS
    Louis Garneau Raid MIPS
    Specialized Chamonix MIPS

Four-star (Very Good):
    Bell Draft MIPS
    Bontrager Quantum MIPS