Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011

The City of Long Beach has set a course to be America's most bicycle friendly city. Last Friday, I had an opportunity to travel with a group to Long Beach for a tour by their Mobility Coordinator, Charlie Gandy. Here are a few pictures of some of the things they are doing.

Protected bike lanes:

Yes, those are bicycle traffic signals.

Vista St. Bike Boulevard

Bike Corrals

14 bikes in one diagonal parking space.

And finally, the Belmont Shores green sharrow lane.

They are still fine-tuning the bike facilities, but bike ridership is up and bike shops are thriving. Charlie told us their approach is "Go big or go home" when it comes to the bike program, but they have a vision for the city;s economic development based on growing local businesses. Is Long Beach on a course to overtake Portland OR? Or at least become Portland South? There certainly is inspiration to be found there for cities in the San Diego region. It's worth a field trip.
    • CommentAuthorslobiker

Whereas I'm temporarily ground it does my heart good to see what they're doing in the Beach-That-Is-Long. May they serve as an example for San Diego... a city even more ideally suited to become a bicycling mecca... and may we look, learn and implement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

Wonderful example of commitment. I'm certain that there are many cities around the country taking notes, and seeing the impact this has.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

I love those green stripes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

billd:I love those green stripes.
    I've mentioned to SANDAG and the SDCBC that I think the streets should be striped to match the bike map that is circulated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011

Love the protected lane.

Wow, they are really committed to this. Smart.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

I've biked through Long Beach a couple of times, always passing through on my way south it seems. I've enjoyed the facilities there, partook of the cyclectrack. That was fun to ride... but needs help! It ended, poorly. Broadway turns into a two-way roadway where the track ends with no clear way to continue south. Maybe their intent is to have you go another roadway, but I wanted Broadway.
    • CommentAuthorStephan

sd_mike:I've biked through Long Beach a couple of times, always passing through on my way south it seems. I've enjoyed the facilities there, partook of the cyclectrack. That was fun to ride... but needs help! It ended, poorly. Broadway turns into a two-way roadway where the track ends with no clear way to continue south. Maybe their intent is to have you go another roadway, but I wanted Broadway.
    sd_mike:I've biked through Long Beach a couple of times, always passing through on my way south it seems. I've enjoyed the facilities there, partook of the cyclectrack. That was fun to ride... but needs help! It ended, poorly. Broadway turns into a two-way roadway where the track ends with no clear way to continue south. Maybe their intent is to have you go another roadway, but I wanted Broadway.

One reason Long Beach has been able to do so much is that they aren't afraid to try something, then make corrections as needed based on how the facility operates. Expect the design of some of these facilities to evolve.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthreeflys
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011 edited

silly question... in the first pic, the bike signal is green while the left turn arrow is yellow... that indicates to me that a car could be turning left into the bikes going straight across the intersection... what am I missing?

I like the green lanes as well... isn't that kind of like what they did on Kearney Villa?

just realized the yellow arrow is probably for the bikes? I can still see it being confusing for cars though...
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011

Light is red. Note the position.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthreeflys

sd_mike:Light is red. Note the position.

Doh! you're totally right... damn male color vision!
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

I am a dichromat as well. Can't see green. You know those LEDs on battery chargers that change from red to green at full charge? Can't tell when the battery is done; red and green LEDs look the same to me.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

I felt like I was a train on that cycletrack. All cross traffic waited for ME! Still, there were too many salmon to make it more pleasant, considering that the next road north has one, for westbound traffic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthreeflys

sd_mike: considering that the next road north has one, for westbound traffic.

yes, but that would have meant having to take an extra minute in their trip! You know how we Americans are with our time! :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011 edited

threeflys:
    I like the green lanes as well... isn't that kind of like what they did on Kearney Villa?

kinda... it does not go all the way down the road though.... they are about 10-15ft long sections, maybe every quarter mile or so. but they are much more greeeeeeeeen...
    R.I.P my old Miyata Nine Twelve :(
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2013

The results are in for a yearlong study of Long Beach's first cycletrack: 33% more bikes, 13% more pedestrians, 80% fewer bikes crashes, 44% fewer car crashes, reduced driver speeds, and drastic drops in the percentage of wrong-way riding and sidewalk riding. Read all about it here.
    New Cycle Tracks near MIT in Cambridge MA

This blog seems new to me but it may have been around for a while.
    Interesting pug's eye "view" of the world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2013

Stephan:The results are in for a yearlong study of Long Beach's first cycletrack: 33% more bikes, 13% more pedestrians, 80% fewer bikes crashes, 44% fewer car crashes, reduced driver speeds, and drastic drops in the percentage of wrong-way riding and sidewalk riding. Read all about it here.

From that article:

The results included the information that riders have increased 33%, pedestrians have increased 13% and vehicles have decreased 12%. As far as accidents go, Crawford reported that bicycle accidents decreased 80% (5 to 1) and vehicle accidents decreased 44% (80 to 45). Third Street traffic decreased speeds from averages of 36 mph to 27 mph and Broadway saw decreases of 30 mph to 26 mph. Bikes on the sidewalk decreased from 63% to 27% on Third Street and 70% to 28% on Broadway.
    I'd like to know more of the raw numbers. Small sample sizes don't tell us all that much. Calling a decrease from 5 to 1 an 80% decrease is technically true but if they have 2 in the next year, that's a 100% increase. The numbers are too small for variations to indicate a trend. They're so small that pointing out percentage changes is silly.

Even the vehicle accidents going from 80 to 45 is a bit on the small numbers side. It might indicate a trend but it's hard to tell. With numbers in that range, it would be good to have numbers for several years running.
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2013

Long Beach Bike Coordinator Alan Crawford

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2013

Old Knotty Buoy:New Cycle Tracks near MIT in Cambridge MA

absolutely loved this quote - it was applied to cycle tracks in the article, but could easily be used for just about any bicycling facility (and well beyond!):
    "Sometimes you just have to start with what's nice and what isn't and work out the details from there".
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2013 edited

Went to LB to check out the 1st Sunday Cyclone Coaster Vintage cruiser ride. 251 riders; family friendly. Pace is very slow and very social with a few stops at parks, marina pier for refreshments and socializing. Check out the route here

• CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2014

Has anyone been riding in Long Beach much in the last two years since the initial report came out regarding their new bike facilities? I go to Long Beach weekly for work but unfortunately I'm on the harbor side and don't get to see much of the bike lanes and facilities. I hope they have continued to improve / roll out more miles of facilities!
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2014

• CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2014

Longbeachize has a lot of good bike centric (and good planning) videos from a non-government group

http://www.longbeachize.com/

https://www.facebook.com/longbeachize