Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorthom
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011

I'm thinking about replacing my rubber-banded and cobbled-together "tool kit" with a good multi-tool, but I haven't the slightest idea what's out there.

Weight and size are not factors for me -- I'm looking to compare versatility, ease of use, and affordability.

So what do you all carry?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

I carry the Topeak Mini18, a tire lever and a spoke wrench. What I can't fix with that I can't fix on the road anyway.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Tools/Mini18

The Mini18 has a spoke wrench but it is not as convenient as a separate one.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011 edited

I got the Topeak Hexus II. I was happy with my mini tool but then on one ride with Chip he had a chain issue and if his tool hadn't had the integrated chain tool it would've sucked, so I decided to get one with it and that's what Velo Cult had.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Tools/hexus2
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

I have a number of smaller tools that I use for regular ol' around town use. For touring I always take the Topeak Alien. I can unbox the bike at the airport and put the entire thing together and begin touring. It even has a pedal wrench!

-S
    I generally carry my chain whip/pedal/rim tool and a allen set, I've used both many times whole riding but my setup is pretty simple so maybe not the best option for you. Gets me through most roadside repairs.
    • CommentAuthoreaton

Road bike - Park IB-1
    Commuter bike - Leatherman and a Park AWS-9
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2011

I've got the 19 tool dealio made by Crank Brothers, but I like that Topeak one that Gavilan posted above because it has built in tire levers... pretty slick!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

Crank Bros now but definitely the Alien that Sky mentioned before next flight/tour for the pedal wrench. That saves me one thing to pack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

Velo Cult:I have a number of smaller tools that I use for regular ol' around town use. For touring I always take the Topeak Alien. I can unbox the bike at the airport and put the entire thing together and begin touring. It even has a pedal wrench!
    Which one?

http://www.topeak.com/products/ALiEN-Tools
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2011

Probably any of those Topeak Alien versions would be good choices. I have an older 2 piece Topeak Alien (probably the original version) and it's been great--great quality, actually not too big. Nice to have the pedal wrench, chain tool, tire levers, and 8 mm Allen for tightening crank arms that have worked loose. I usually carry separate tire levers because the ones on the multi tool are less convenient, but that's just a preference. I'll also say that I love multi-tools, and would gladly buy a new one if I could find a flaw with the one I have, but there isn't really one. Yeah, I wish it had 36 mm and 32 mm threaded headset wrenches, but that's asking a lot.
    Here is my tool roll. Look at it in flicker to see my notes on each tool.

Bike Tool Kit

I recently read a suggestion from Mathew Lee, multi-time Tour Divide champion amongst other recommendations he said:
    >bring all of the allen wrenches you will need as opposed to a multi-tool. They're easier to work with and can actually be lighter.
    >Bring a separate chain-tool. The chain-tools on multi-tools are harder to use and more likely to fail.
    >a pair of medical-grade scissors are light, cut through virtually anything, and come in handy more than you would imagine.
    >Super glue has a million uses. Bring it on every mulit-day ride.

Most of us are not riding thousands of miles off road, but I think these tips are pretty relevant for anyone who aspires to take care of their own road or trail side repairs.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2013 edited

One of the things I want to make is a custom holder for bike tools. I stumbled upon this photo on FLIKR:

Tool case open / 道具巻き
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2013

Anything but that Giant 12-tool multi-tool thingy. The sucker came apart just bouncing around in my saddle back and I couldn't put it back together because its locking screws require smaller allen key than what's on my y-shape allen keys thing (commonsense should make the locking screws that keep the multi=tool in one piece tightenable by a simple screwdriver or something rather than requiring an irregular size allen key, ay?). :oP I bought it because it's compact and looks sturdy, but it turns out quite useless.
    • CommentAuthorCRACKERJACK
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2013 edited

This is my tool roll. 90% of my riding is my ~7 mile work commute.
    IMG_20130719_202840

-Chamois Butt'r
    -CO2 inflator
    -Presta to Schrader converter (might have to make use of a gas station air pump, haven't yet.)
    -RavX sixfold multi tool (About as simple as they get.)
    -Spare tube
    -Patch kit
    -Tire lever

My commute is about to change to ~16-17 miles, so some things are going to change. Especially since it's the opposite way of all my friends. My current route is always a few blocks away from someone I know and my tool pouch reflects that. Think right off the bat I'm going to switch over to a hand pump, larger multi tool (the alien looks pretty awesome,) and throw in an energy gel.

Edit: And for clarification sake, 7 miles is how far away my work is. So ~14 mile round trip currently. In a month ~33 mile round trip.