Not signed in (Sign In)
    Completely off topic but how many of you guys on this forum are musicians as well as cyclists? Feel free to shamelessly self promote your stuff, I always like to hear other peoples stuff.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2011

I used to play keyboard instruments until my hand problems started giving me grief. At one time I could reach a tenth with my right hand; now I'm down to barely an octave. I'm going to have to get it repaired eventually but that means no riding for several months.

Also play early wind instruments and did some graduate work at SDSU in early music as well as electronic music and tape manipulation.

I'd like to get a couple of half inch stereo reel to reel tape machines. I used to borrow them from SDSU to make a Frippertronics layering system for live performance.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2011 edited

http://www.facebook.com/EyeoftheHawkband

(Edit) The facebook site doesn't seem to be working well. Most folks know I'm not a fan of facebook. You can try this too. http://www.myspace.com/eyeofthehawkband

If you like any of the songs. They're free.

What do you play?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2011 edited

the only recordings i have up are not the best, but not too horrible... http://www.myspace.com/nightmarecomplex ... had to put my equipment in storage for a while when i was traveling, so no new material in a while. but i cant wait to get my crap back down here & re-record & do some new stuff too...
    t.e.d. I'll be downloading your tracks once I'm not running off my phone's wireless tether. Are you playing the guitar tracks or is this a midi project? And are you an Efterklang fan at all? Pacmule, good stuff. I probably like cum & bass the best at first listen, has that Venetian Snares touch. My stuff currently (we will be playing in SD and California after we record our first album in the next few months) is a bit of a stretch, I went to college for audio engineering and focused on formal jazz study on guitar, being that I'm 24 I play jazz metal instead. My drummer studied Latin drumming and besides being a bike dork I'm a HUGE music nerd. We are a 2 piece called Look What Eye Can Do. I'm the guitar player. www.myspace.com/lookwhateyecando
    [[_linker_]]

• CommentAuthorJgrody
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011

I play washboard, currently trying to start something new but i was most recently in Satan Dance Party, we played the soundtrack to the coming apocalypse and usually got to shows by bicycle when able. I carried most the gear on my xtracycle. Our accordion player traded his car for a bike at Tour de fat last year. any way you can check us out on www.myspace.com/satandanceparty or satandanceparty.bandcamp.com
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011 edited

This is what I play:

This is the kind of music in which I specialize:

The contrabass recorder player on the left below is David Bellugi, a classmate of mine from La Jolla High. The instrument is very heavy and he rests it on his shoe!

Unfortunately for posterity, digital recording hadn't been invented yet when I was still actively playing, but these musicians have the same problem we often encountered with uncontrollable laughter interrupting our rehearsals:

The big stuff:

So what exactly is that cane shaped instrument? I've never seen that before and it's peaked my interest.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011

That is a crumhorn (Ger. Krummhorn, Fr. cromorne). It is a windcap double reed instrument popular in the 16th Century. The straight version is a cornamuse. When the tube or "bore" is doubled back within the body of the instrument to make it half as long it is a Kortholt. With windcap reed instruments the player's lips don't touch the reed. The reed is held in a pressurized chamber created by the windcap. Just as with recorders, the instruments are grouped in "consorts" of graded lengths. The longer the instrument, the deeper the pitch. So crumhorns, like recorders, run the gamut from soprano, alto, tenor, bass, to great bass. They give early music a delightful buzzing sound.
    Nice, thanks for the info! Quite the interesting sound from that thing. I dig it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsykkelspruce
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011 edited

Just finished recording my bands EP. Here are a few songs if anybody wants to hear them...

Not sure that the player is going to embed correctly... if not here is a link: http://www.purevolume.com/LookWhatEyeCanDo
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011

this makes me miss my git-fiddle in a big way... great stuff man!
    Here is a link if anybody wants to download my band's album that I just finished recording.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/bHlETkFqQzdFc0ozZUE9PQ