Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2016 edited

I found something rather interesting during my visit to Caltrans on Friday. Apparently, a bikeway was constructed along a portion of current Kearny Villa Road back in 1979, when it was still I-15. The path still exists today, just closed and covered in weeds. It ran from just north of Harris Plant Road (then the 15/163 Separation) along Altair Ave, then crossed under Kearny Villa Rd at San Clemente Canyon. On the east side, it ran next to the freeway until what is called Ammo Road. The path followed that road to Miramar Way, where it followed along the shoulder of the freeway until Carroll Canyon Road, which was also under construction. While not a complete bypass, it was still built. How long it was open, who could use it, and why it closed I do not know. I haven't gotten that far yet in the research. I'll post some information on my website with maps and such soon.

As an aside, it also showed the freeway was eight lanes there, eventually narrowing to six lanes near Miramar Way. They were 11' lanes with a 2' shoulder.

EDITED: Added more to the description. Path went from Harris Plant Road to Carroll Canyon Road.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2016

• CommentAuthormsdo
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2016

Rose canyon bike path will be closed overnight tomorrow (Tues Oct 18). From Mid-Coast Trolley:

The Rose Canyon Bike Path will be temporarily closed starting 7 p.m. on October 18 and will reopen at 6 a.m. on October 19, while San Diego Gas & Electric completes a hydrotest of a relocated natural gas pipeline in the area. The entire path will be closed and flaggers will not allow bicycles to enter; please avoid this area as pipeline testing is in progress.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2016

Here is some detail about the new Balboa Station and surrounding infrastructure projects that are in development, including an informative video focusing on non-auto improvement.

I note from the presentation that only the station itself and a very small fraction of the infrastructure improvements the video is envisioning are funded at this point - so until then, I am cynical enough (from having watched San Diego politics for a quarter century or so) that the unfunded remaining infrastructure improvements may or may not happen - at the very least not in the shape and form presented in the video.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2016

It did miss one thing that I noticed - the Amtrak/Coaster rails will be double-tracked, not single track, as shown in the video.
    Metro-to-LAX station will welcome commuters by bus, car, on foot and bicycle
    By City News Service 10/31/2016
    Metro is promoting the extension of the Green Line to LAX with a video featuring Angelenos pining for an easier way to get to the airport. The final environmental impact report for the Airport Metro Connector 96th Transit Station will be released Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2016, for public review.

I think everyone in San Diego would love to see both SANDAG and the SAN Airport embrace this idea. What's the hold up? (A tangle of groups like the Port of SD, City of SD, SAN Airport, SANDAG, State of CA, FAA, etc. etc. can't work it out. The public suffers but the "planners" and "public officials" get their retirement packages. Ha! ;-))

Much of the new trolley extension along Genesee Ave will be be elevated. A similar elevated trolley line along Harbor Drive into the airport that loops around, coming back to the Harbor Island frontage / Cruise Ship terminals and back to downtown would solve traffic, parking, air quality and quality of life issues for both tourists, employers and local residents alike.
    Is it time for ODOT to put bike lanes on St. Johns Bridge?
    Cyclist Mitchell York, 55, killed Saturday while riding on bridge
    Emily Sinovic and KOIN 6 News Staff - October 31, 2016,

Driver arrested for fatally striking bicyclist has 31 prior driving convictions
    KGW November 01, 2016

It's very difficult to retrofit these old bridges. There is no excuse to not incorporate proper facilities into new construction. The new bridges at Genesee and I-5 should have protected, Class-IV, bike facilities for these very busy roads. The concrete barrier should have been between the bike lane and traffic lanes. From the information provided by Caltrans, it looks as if we are out of luck. Sheesh….

I-5/Genesee Avenue Interchange Project: image

Let's hope they get the new Voigt Drive Bridge and Gilman Bridge done with proper facilities. (A man's got to dream.)
    Voigt Drive and Campus Point Drive will be modified to accommodate the increased traffic that will result from implementation of the future Voigt Direct Access Ramp (DAR) to the I-5 freeway. The Voigt Drive Bridge will be replaced with a wider bridge that includes sidewalks and bike lanes. Voigt Drive will be widened from two to four lanes.

The DARs would be accessed through campus from the reconfigured Voigt Drive Bridge. This project could result in increased vehicular traffic, including non-campus trips, on Voigt Drive and Gilman Drive in particular.

Thus the need for protected bike facilities!

Gilman Bridge Project Description:
    The lane configuration of the bridge deck and the roadway would consist of 42 feet curb to curb to provide two 11-foot wide travel lanes, a ten-foot wide left turn pocket and two five-foot wide bike lanes.
    Five foot wide bike lanes with no physical barrier or even painted buffer. That's just a four inch stripe of paint between a bicyclist and moving vehicles. (Which will include shuttle buses, large delivery trucks, and smaller utility service trucks, not to mention autos and pickups driving on narrow, 11 foot lanes with a 10 foot center turn lane ~ suicide lane.) It's funny that they can design and produce a beautiful looking structure but the functionality of the road deck is so limited. $17 Million for what exactly? A pretty structure or a functional, utilitarian road deck for all users?

These bridges will be in place for generations. Now, when they are first built, is the time to incorporate best practices and forward thinking. We will not get a second chance to do it correctly.
    OKB, thanks for posting this info. I'll have to study the plans. The current Voigt bridge is great for bikes--no bike lanes, but calm traffic, only one lane in each direction, plenty of space. I never have a problem with it.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2016 edited

OK, this is only peripherally related to infrastructure, and I truly feel bad for the driver/victim, but the Pine Valley bridge on I-8 has always fascinated me:

http://timesofsandiego.com/life/2016/11/03/driver-dies-in-cars-plunge-off-pine-valley-creek-bridge/?google_editors_picks=true

http://www.highestbridges.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pine_Valley_Creek_Bridge
    Actually, the highestbridges website is a fascinating site:

http://www.highestbridges.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
    Shady,

Here's some more information on bridges around San Diego that need work..
    25 weak bridges in San Diego County sandiegouniontribune.com

The West Mission Bay Drive bridge over the San Diego River will soon be rebuilt (2017-2019). I've been advocating for robust bike facilities via the City's Bicycle Advisory Committee (BAC) since 2014. No real feed back from that group, but I have found some additional information online.

Bridge Replacement

Bridge Cross Section

I might ask for more in the way of the Class-I bike facilities provided in the drawing. It's shared with pedestrians and I would rather see the bikes & pedestrians separated by a step as on the Sunset Cliffs Bridge. (One man's opinion.) I'm happy to see a "K-rail" type solid barrier between the Class-I and vehicles. (concrete barrier type 723 separator that is 1'-5" wide) As in the image above of the Sunset Cliffs Bridge, I'd like to see a guard rail on the "K-rail" so as to prevent a bike or pedestrian from somehow falling over the low barrier into the traffic lane.

Also I'd like to take at least four feet of the eight foot shoulder and add to the Class-I bike lane.

There is something to be desired of both approaches to the bridge as far as bike lanes and sidewalks, never mind crosswalks, signals and free right turn lanes. I'm also concerned for the bike paths under the bridge (OB Bike Path and Old Sea World Drive). There is a lot to be examined and discussed.

Anyway…
    I post here to share the resources and invite any comments and critique so we can use the collective consciousness of the bike community to address as much of the needed facilities as we can. Once it's built, forever hold your peace.

West Mission Bay Drive Bridge Project Environmental Assessment ~ May 11, 2016
    (Good images at bottom of document)
    Thanks for your advocacy work OKB! I had no idea that bridge was slated for replacement--could be a mess while that's going on. Yes, the real problem there is the approaches, unless you're coming and going via the bike paths. Really, after having driven through that area countless times, I have to wonder--wouldn't it be great to just level the entire roadway around SeaWorld and start over? Would we really design a multiple clover-leaf system with the two bridges, the 8 lane segment between the river and vacation island with all of the hideous merges...and I'm talking about driving through there, not riding a bike. Fortunately, once you've figured it out, you can avoid most of the crap while riding a bike, but I do remember the first time I rode through there, not knowing any better, on the road with the cars...
    • CommentAuthorJSnook
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2016

sd_mike:Any other locations that need additional striping/signage that I can help with?

Well, since you asked....it couldn't hurt to have another voice demanding return of the bike lane that was illegally removed when iFLY and Starbucks were built on Camino del Rio N. The Streets Division told me they would have it striped again when they resurface the road there. It seems like total BS to me that they eliminated an existing bike lane to create a handful of parking spaces on Camino Del Rio there. Now cyclists have to share the right lane for a couple hundred yards with traffic in a 45mph zone.

Thanks for working on Aldine/Fairmount. I ride through there all the time. I feel like they could use some of the extensive center median there to widen the Southbound lanes and create and exit only lane for a few hundred yards prior to the Aldine ramp. This would get the exiting traffic off Fairmount's through lanes. Perhaps it could include dots or whatever to slow those cars down. As it is now, there is no exit lane, so cars going 55mph just swing onto that ramp. It's actually safer for me I feel when the traffic is backed up because then at least the cars slow up, even though the crowd to the right and take up shoulder space trying to allow room for through traffic.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2016

I'll see what I can do about Camino Del Rio and the bike lane. Another voice is helpful. As to Aldine/Fairmount, I look forward to seeing what the City has planned when they resurface next year. I'll try to get copies of the plans, if possible. We still have time to alter those plans, or at least try to.
    County bike trail may reduce traffic lane on Gilman Drive
    María José Durán November 8th, 2016 lajollalight.com/
    The bicycle lane is part of the Coastal Rail Trail, a bike route that was originally planned in the mid-1990s to run from Oceanside to the Santa Fe Depot in Downtown San Diego. Proposed is a bicycle lane that will run along Gilman Drive from La Jolla Village Drive to SR 52. The proposed bike lane is a “Class IV,” which means it’s physically separated from traffic by more than a white stripe.

The stretch of Gilman Drive that will accommodate the project currently includes two lanes each way. City engineers propose to reduce one lane northbound for most of the segment and reduce one lane southbound in the stretch south of Via Alicante. Then, the two-way Class IV bike lane will be located on the east side of the road with a three-foot separation from traffic.

LJCPA vice president Helen Boyden and treasurer Janie Emerson voiced concerns about eliminating car lanes on southbound Gilman Drive, a street that routinely gets backed up by traffic trying to enter I-5. Senior City Engineer Dan Nutter responded that traffic studies showed the backup is caused by the I-5 entrance, and therefore reducing incoming lanes won’t make traffic worse.

But Boyden persisted, “It’s going to make it worse if there’s only one lane, because there are people who want to get on the highway, and there are people who want to go straight through. I think it’s a problem and you should reconsider.” MAP
    Bicyclist will want to be able to safely "go straight through" that section to access the Rose Canyon Bike Path. The intersection at La Jolla Colony Drive combined with the ramps to/from I-5 North is another part of the puzzle that needs safety enhancements for bicyclist. As of now, it can get very sketchy through that whole area. It needs much better design!
    City staff also received criticism about an extra single bike lane currently in the design phase that would run southbound alongside traffic. “I will never ride downhill on the east side of the road because I have to stop at all those stop lights. Given the choice, every single cyclist is going to stay on the west side because of those intersections,” said trustee Brian Will.

Nutter reassured LJCPA board members that the project is in the early design stages and many changes — including those suggested during public presentations — will be added to it.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2016

Why would ANYONE be riding "downhill" on the east side of the road? They'd be riding the wrong way and be a danger to other cyclists/road users. How is that an argument in the first place?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2016

Even if you can do 35mph downhill here, cars are coming up from behind at a large speed differential, already in "freeway mode", and the cyclist has to negotiate across two turn lanes. And when the traffic does get backed up into the two lanes on the ramp, motorists headed for the carpool lane sometimes (illegally) take the straight lane, only to turn right onto the on-ramp at the last moment. So that is three lanes a cyclist has to negotiate, the third of which has 1) high speeds and 2) poor sight lines.

sd_mike:Why would ANYONE be riding "downhill" on the east side of the road? ... How is that an argument in the first place?
    When I read this, I was thinking "this surely must be a journalist mistake - why on earth would someone salmon downhill here?!" I've never seen anyone do it, either. And yes, why is this even an argument for anything?
    • CommentAuthormsdo
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2016

...the two-way Class IV bike lane will be located on the east side of the road with a three-foot separation from traffic.

The bike lane would be a two-way cycle track, so all bicycle traffic would be on the east side of Gilman, separated from traffic. This might also bypass having to navigate traffic turning onto the I-5 south depending on how it's designed.

As for not stopping while going downhill on the west side of Gilman, I thought you were still supposed to stop at those T intersections on a red light, though many don't.
    I think that's the person's argument. Currently they go down the west side of Gilman without stopping at red lights (at via alicante and villa la jolla) since they're only 3-way intersections. If there was a two-way cycle track on the west side of Gilman, it would most likely mean having to stop at these intersections if the light is red.
    • CommentAuthorPetteri
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2016

I'd been out of action for a week and a half, so was pleasantly surprised to see yesterday that the new bike path up the I-5 from Sorrento Valley to Genesee was open all the way. Turning left on Genesee is still a bit of a pain, but one step at a time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2017

I dropped down into Old Town via Presidio Dr for the first time in almost a year this afternoon and had a really nice surprise; the city had finally leveled off the root bumps and repaved much of the descent down the hill from Serra Museum so it's nice and smooth now. Yey!
    IMG_1179
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2017

Smorg:I dropped down into Old Town via Presidio Dr for the first time in almost a year this afternoon and had a really nice surprise; the city had finally leveled off the root bumps and repaved much of the descent down the hill from Serra Museum so it's nice and smooth now. Yey!
    IMG_1179

That's great news! I'm slowly recovering fitness after two surgeries and the concomitant weight gain. I look forward to seeing all the improvements I've missed over the last few months. Hope to be commuting again soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2017

Hope your recovery goes well and that you'll be out and about on the bike again (and playing bike-o-rama, too)! :o) I was pretty stoked about the now bumps-free Presidio Dr descent. I'm afraid Juan St is still under construction (though they've completed the uphill lane, I think. Now the downhill one is all closed off from Harney upward). And it looks like the city had also filled in a few prominent pot holes and smoothened the tarmac by the railroad tracks on westbound Taylor thru Old Town area. I was all prepared to bunny hop over the long standing pothole in the right lane right at the Congress Ave traffic light when I rode thru, but it wasn't there!