Not signed in (Sign In)
    (Responding to post in Upcoming Local Events thread: August 31, 2017)

Paul,

I agree with your assessment of two-way cycle-tracks on any gradient other than level. Both the Rose Creek Bikeway and the Pershing Bikeway have significant gradients that allow downhill speeds to become an issue (combined with the slower uphill speeds). Even on flats like the Bayshore Bikeway, Rose Creek Bike Path, San Diego River Trail, Friars Road and other such two-way cycle tracks, the potential for collisions is increased if the paths are too narrow, have a poor surface, poor lighting or are used, intentionally or not, as MUP's by pedestrians, runners, dog walkers and bird watchers. Think Ocean Front walk along Mission Beach on a summer afternoon or riding under the bridges of the Rose Creek bike path after work, at night, in the winter.

Bicyclists have been clamoring for safe, functional transportation solutions. They want to get from A to B quickly and safely without impediments. Often what we get is 'mixed-use" solutions that are as a panacea to the squeaky wheels. I do appreciate all that has been done, but we need continuous quality improvement and to raise the bar and set goals higher.

“A lot of people think of the Bayshore Bikeway as a great recreational amenity,” Stephan Vance said. “It is, but for us it’s all about providing transportation options for people...”

=========

"A separated bikeway is an exclusive bike facility that combines the user experience of a separated path with the on-street infrastructure of a conventional bike lane. A separated bikeway is physically separated from motor traffic and distinct from the sidewalk (National Association of City Transportation Officials). Separated bikeways can be either one or two-way bike facilities."

Pershing Bikeway
    Proposed project features include a separated bikeway, buffered bike lanes and walking path, and will create safer biking and walking conditions for people of all ages and abilities. Examine the documents for proposed alignments and proposed concept designs. You'll see many two-way cycle-tracks on steep gradients. Will they be wide enough for safety?
    Potential Bikeway Alignments
    Intersection Renderings - Proposed Concept Designs

Rose Creek Bikeway
    The Rose Creek Bikeway is part of the Coastal Rail Trail and is being designed as a Class I bike path (completely separated from vehicle traffic) that connects existing sections of the Rose Canyon and Rose Creek bike paths in the City of San Diego.
    Cycle Track with Barrier Cross Section
    Cycle Track with Barrier Oblique View
    Raised Cycle Track Cross Section (without Barrier from vehicles)
    Raised Cycle Track Oblique View (without Barrier from vehicles)

I think the final design for the Rose Creek Bikeway is about done and construction is to start imminently. I don't remember seeing any public meetings on final design details such as 'barriers or bollards' between cycle-track and vehicles. It makes a difference. One man's opinion… hard barriers please!

LINK to project page.
    Link to pdf file of plans

Update on East Valley Pkwy/Valley Center Road Widening Project
    August 31, 2017 valleycenter.com
    This project will widen the bridge over Escondido Creek north of Lake Wohlford Road, widen East Valley Parkway and Valley Center Road from Beven Drive to the Northern City Limits, add medians and landscaping, and construct sidewalk from Beven Drive to the northern city limit of Escondido. Schedule: September 2017 – April 2019

MAP

Total Project Cost: $9.7 Million: Funding sources include an $800,000 contribution from the Rincon Band of Luiseño Indians, a $675,000 Highway Safety Improvement Program Grant, a $1.6 million Demonstration Grant, TransNet and Traffic Impact Fees.

-------
    NOTE: No mention of protected bike lanes nor such infrastructure as bike loop detectors, signals for bicyclists, green paint through conflict areas, bike wayfinding signage or other bike signage…
    --------

Escondido's East Valley Parkway widening to start soon

J. Harry Jones July 14, 2017 sandiegouniontribune.com
    The project will widen the road between Beven Drive and Lake Wohlford Road to three lanes in each direction. North of that the bridge over Escondido Creek will also be enlarged to accommodate two through lanes in each direction north of Lake Wohlford Road to the city boundary.

---------

This 3,000 foot stretch of East Valley Parkway/Valley Center Road will be widened by the city of Escondido beginning in 2017.

Escondido to begin $9.7 million road widening of East Valley Parkway next year
    DAVID ROSS December 22, 2016 valleycenter.com
    ^^
    ==== Related Information ====

Google Street View image of current Escondido Creek bridge.
    Google satellite view of current Escondido Creek bridge.
    North end of Escondido Creek Bike Path at Beven Drive.
    Escondido Creek Bike Path at Beven Drive (looking south). North of here is not completed. This, in fact, may be the terminus and bicyclist are expected to use Beven Drive to Valley Center Road to continue on their way east. All the more need for bike facilities on the new Escondido Creek bridge.
    Satellite View North end of Escondido Creek Bike Path

==== Escondido Creek Bike Path ====

I've never ridden on the Escondido Creek Bike Path. I don't know if bicyclist use it all that much to get through the downtown and on their way east. I'll include a few links to portions of the existing path and include some Escondido City bike information in the links below.

Escondido Creek Bike Path at North Citrus Avenue
    Escondido Creek Bike Path at North Rose Street
    Pedestrian Bridge over Escondido Creek at North Date Street the with bike path running alongside the creek. Bike path transitions from the north side of the creek, across the bridge to the south side of the creek here.
    South end of Escondido Creek Bike Path at Harmony Grove Road MAP Image
    =======================

Bicycle Master Plan City of Escondido

Escondido Creek Trail
    Master Plan Report
    January 10, 2012
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2017

That bike path along the Escondido Creek is pretty dysfunctional in my book. It doesn't give you a safe way of crossing the roads it runs into. You just pop up and expected to pull out your wand and apparate yourself and the bike to the other side of the road. :oP I sometimes use just the section between the Transit Center and Washington to get myself on Mission Rd to head home (in Vista) via the road way (the rail-trail path along the Sprinter line is pretty hazardous at intersections. I keep seeing near misses as right-turning drivers rarely ever check their right when making the turn... simply because they don't expect a bike to shoot straight thru the intersection from the sidewalk on their right).
    That sounds a lot like the argument often stated for discouraging parking protected bike lanes. When bicyclist cross the openings to driveways or side roads, they are not seen by turning vehicles and thus very vulnerable.

I don't have a good answer for the problem. Maybe for the Escondido Creek bike path and other such facilities, a well marked crosswalk might provide some utility. If there is so much vehicle traffic that a bicyclist can't get across, they could dismount and walk their bike with the privileges afforded pedestrians in a crosswalk. Just thinking out loud here. It's a tough nut to crack.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2017

"the privileges afforded pedestrians in a crosswalk"

In my experience, these privileges are disappearing.
    Ha, so true,

I remember when vehicles would stop on Mission Boulevard, Garnet Avenue and other local streets to let pedestrians, parents with strollers and kids with surfboards walk across the street, even if they were jay walking. That courtesy disappeared in the 80's with the densification of the beach neighborhoods and with so many people moving here from other places. They all brought 'their' diverse habits and attitudes and were more than happy to explain how driving was done correctly, where they came from.

I was once one of those people; young and full of myself. It took a few years before I 'got it', and assimilated to the then courteous driving habits of the Southern California beach communities. That was in a universe long, long ago….
    City Heights getting 'complete street' geared for walkers, bicyclists
    David Garrick September 11, 2017 sandiegouniontribune.com
    The heart of City Heights, one of San Diego’s poorest and most ethnically diverse neighborhoods, would become more pedestrian and bicycle friendly under a $5 million proposal that aims to revamp several blocks of University Avenue.
    The first step is re-striping University to transform one eastbound vehicle lane into a cycling lane, which will slow traffic and give cyclists a painted bike lane that is called for in the city’s bicycle master plan. The change also shortens the crossing distance of University for pedestrians, reducing crashes and fatalities.

IMAGE Tweet from BikeSD

Long term, the city plans to install a raised center median with pedestrian crossing islands, wider sidewalks and more trees. Two stoplights will also be removed and three roundabouts will be installed at Highland, Chamoune and Menlo Avenues. (MAP)

The city is planning several other “complete street” projects, particularly in downtown where an ambitious mobility plan would add dozens of cycling lanes.
    Public Open House Thursday for SR-163 Friars Road Interchange Project
    Chris O'Connell September 27, 2017 clairemonttimes.com
    Caltrans and the city of San Diego are hosting a public open house about the upcoming State Route 163 (SR-163) Friars Road Interchange Project. The meeting will take place Thursday, 4-7 p.m., at the Mission Valley Public Library, located at 2123 Fenton Parkway in San Diego. (MAP)

The open house will focus on Phase 1 of a project that will widen the SR-163 Friars Road overcrossing as well as improve the SR-163 on- and off-ramps. In addition, a southbound SR-163 auxiliary lane just north of the Friars Road off-ramp will be constructed.

Attendees may arrive at any time during the open house to speak directly with representatives from Caltrans and the city of San Diego. Display boards featuring freeway and city street improvements for Phase 1 and the unfunded Phase 2 and 3 portions of the project will be available for the public to view.

SR-163/Friars Road Interchange Project FACT SHEET
    Phase 1:
    Construction includes widening the State Route 163 (SR-163) Friars Road overcrossing from three to four lanes in each direction and improvements to the SR-163 on- and off-ramps and on Frazee Road. This phase will also construct a southbound SR-163 auxiliary lane just north of Friars Road.

Improvements for bicyclists and pedestrians in this phase include providing a bike lane and sidewalk on both eastbound and west-bound Friars Road in addition to on-and off-ramp modifications to eliminate the ’free right’ moves.

In 1996, a long-term, citywide blueprint was adopted for Camino del Mar. Parts of the streetscape plan have been implemented since then but not along the downtown corridor, from Ninth to 15th Street. (Photo by Bianca Kaplanek)

Downtown upgrades may finally get started
    Bianca Kaplanek September 28, 2017 thecoastnews.com
    DEL MAR - Residents, business owners and council members past and present have long advocated for pedestrian safety improvements, disabled access and aesthetic enhancements to sidewalks, landscaping and lighting.

Based on feedback from myriad public outreach sessions, the current plans include a 5-foot-wide sidewalk with consistent material down both sides of Camino del Mar. Additionally, curb ramps and sidewalks for the disabled will be created by pushing parking closer to the street and adding retaining walls where needed.

Continuous bike lanes will be established in both directions on Camino del Mar, and travel lanes will be reduced to slow traffic. Also being added are street furnishings such as benches and improved lighting.

Existing crosswalks will be enhanced for visibility and new legs are slated at several intersections to allow for four-way pedestrian crossing. A midblock crossing is proposed at 10th Street.

A consistent 6-foot-wide bike lane with a 2-foot buffer will be added to improve bicycle access.
    Mayor Terry Sinnott had a different view.

“There are going to be cases in this whole streetscape area where we, as a city, are going to have to bend slightly our parking regulations in order to allow businesses to put in sidewalk things, different parking configurations, whatever it is,” he said. “We’re going to have to be flexible.

“As long as we do it consciously for the betterment of the whole village, I think we should at least think about it,” Sinnott added. “In this particular case, the one or two parking spaces I’m not as concerned about, because it’s a safety issue.”
    Councilwoman Ellie Haviland said the intersection is extremely dangerous.

“I’m not saying moving the bus stop is the cure-all for that,” she said. “But I hope we continue to evaluate how to make that (safer). … It just takes your breath away sometimes sitting at Zel’s and watching people just blow through that stop sign.”
    With completed construction plans Del Mar will have a “shovel ready” project, which will help with construction phasing and securing grant funding. The estimated cost is just under $4.9 million.

If all goes as planned construction could begin early next year. Work will be phased to avoid major construction during the busy summer season.

Caltrans San Diego
    SR-163/Friars Road Interchange Project FACT SHEET

Video Report from the Public Open House for the SR-163 Friars Rd Interchange Project.
    In this video, it is stated the Project Exhibits will only be up for 30 days. Not sure of the reasoning for such a short public review period, so you may want to save a copy of any pdf files you download.

State Route 163 Friars Road Interchange Project Exhibits (Good Resource)
    Improvement Highlights:

• Improvements for bicyclists and pedestrians include a bike lane and
      sidewalk in both directions of Friars Road in addition to entrance-and
      exit-ramp modifications to eliminate the “free right” moves.

• Permanently close the existing northbound SR-163 to eastbound
      Friars Road exit ramp.

• Widen Friars Road and Friars Road Overcrossing west of Ulric Street
      to Mission Center Road. The Friars Road overcrossing will be widened
      from 3 lanes to 4 in each direction. (Providing room for Bike Lanes.)

Existing conditions at Friars Road/SR-163 Interchange:
    Friars Road at SR-163 (Map)
    Friars Road at SR-163 (Satellite View)

There seems to be some much needed improvements here. Of course I would prefer to have a protected bikeway across this bridge (like those on the Sunset Cliffs bridge and the soon to be built West Mission Bay Drive bridge). The time to add such a facility is now, when these major improvements are being done. We will not get a second crack at this. I think, however, that the die has been cast and this is what it is. Better than what exists, but far from the improvements for bicyclists and pedestrians needed for the coming substantial growth, density and subsequent major increased traffic along this swelling corridor.

I fear Friars Road will become a de-facto second highway, serving the increased housing density and growth in Mission Valley. The old malls and car dealerships will be turned into dense residential developments with only a hope (wink and a nod) for alternative transportation solutions. A well built, protected bike facility along the whole length of Friars Road would serve to provide the desired, robust and functional solution for bike commuters, going east/west through the valley.
    Westbound Morena Blvd Exit off I-8 to Close for 3 Months
    Chris O'Connell September 29, 2017 clairemonttimes.com
    Projected to start early 2018, as early as January, the Westbound on the I8 Morena Blvd exit will be closed completely for 3 consecutive months.

Caltrans is planning to widen I-8 in a project expected to take two years. As part of the widening of the freeway the exit will be closed, in addition there will be other multiple closures of the Morena exit however much more sporadic.
    MAP
    Satellite View
    Street View

The OB Bike Path (SD River Bike Path) runs very close to this freeway exit. There is no mention of any impacts to the bike path during this project timeline. Bicyclists may want to be aware of potential disruptions along this stretch of the San Diego River Bike Path.
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2017 edited

Old Knotty Buoy:I fear Friars Road will become a de-facto second highway, serving the increased housing density and growth in Mission Valley. The old malls and car dealerships will be turned into dense residential developments with only a hope (wink and a nod) for alternative transportation solutions. A well built, protected bike facility along the whole length of Friars Road would serve to provide the desired, robust and functional solution for bike commuters, going east/west through the valley.

Looking at the changes, anyone on a bike going westbound on Friars will have a rather mediocre time. I think they only put the lanes in because of legislation around Complete Streets; it doesn't look anything bike-friendly at all.

I wonder if the city is of the mind that the SD River Trail will be good enough to carry all of the bike traffic through Mission Valley, leaving Friars to be another large highway. Ideally I'd like to see the two-way bike path west of Friars extended east through to Qualcomm, but I doubt that'll happen.
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2017 edited

Today I had a conversation with the City of SD regarding two tickets I submitted to improve bike lanes.

The disappearing bike lane on northbound India St right where the Sassafras St ramp from I-5 North merges into (nearest cross street: Olive) will be redesigned; however, that is on Caltrans ROW; the city is getting permits from Caltrans. India St paralleling I-5 will also get a road diet to two car lanes.

The bike lane on Pacific Highway just south of Taylor St has had numerous complaints with regards to the right-turn pocket lane and will be re-striped to prevent right-hook accidents. The complicating factor is that Caltrans is responsible for the section directly underneath the bridges for I-5.

No estimated time of completion on either.
    allanorn:The disappearing bike lane on northbound India St right where the Sassafras St ramp from I-5 North merges into (nearest cross street: Olive) will be redesigned; however, that is on Caltrans ROW; the city is getting permits from Caltrans. India St paralleling I-5 will also get a road diet to two car lanes.

No estimated time of completion on either.

Disappearing bike lane on India while heading uphill. Photo by BikeSD.org

Mayoral Candidate Bob Filner Goes on a Bike Infrastructure Discovery Ride
    by Bike San Diego September 25, 2012 bikesd.org
    We all made it through the tunnel relatively unscathed just in time to climb the hill to face a disappearing bike lane and play frogger to merge with an off-ramp that was spitting out cars coming out from the freeway at a high speed.
    Over five years ago, this difficult stretch was ridden and discussed, with the city powers that be, by BikeSD.org.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2017

That's one section where you DON'T want to be in that bike lane when it ends.

Proposed improvements along Lomas Santa Fe Drive include a “scramble” crosswalk, which stops all vehicular traffic to allow people to cross in all directions, including diagonally, at the same time. Because of its location at the Cedros Avenue intersection, Mayor Mike Nichols expressed concerns that it could back up traffic at the Coast Highway 101 intersection to the west. Upgrades in the area will also likely eliminate a confusing left-turn lane onto the 101 that starts at the Cedros intersection. Courtesy rendering

Upgrades coming to Lomas Santa Fe corridor
    Bianca Kaplanek October 12, 2017 thecoastnews.com
    SOLANA BEACH - Long-planned improvements for Lomas Santa Fe Drive moved forward at the Sept. 27 meeting. Council members unanimously appropriated $65,000 for phase two of a feasibility study to pay for technical analysis of data collected earlier this year and 30 percent of preliminary engineering plans.

The project, from Coast Highway 101 to Highland Drive, is a key element of the city’s comprehensive active transportation strategies.

Issues such as narrow sidewalks, missing curb ramps required by the Americans with Disabilities Act, wide lanes and medians that encourage speeding and deteriorating pavement were identified during an engineering team field walk.

Proposed safety and aesthetic upgrades include restriping the roadway, a multiuse path for pedestrians and bicyclists, an all-way crossing known as a scramble at the Cedros Avenue intersection and a median at Granados Avenue.

Also recommended was improved signalization of traffic lights, including a change that would give pedestrians a green light slightly before vehicles.

Additionally, city staff members are working with the California Department of Transportation to improve the crossings at the Interstate 5 on- and off-ramps.
    Note the three schools on the west side of I-5, Earl Warren Middle School, Skyline Elementary School and the Santa Fe Christian Schools. I'm sure many children from east of the I-5, in the Santa Helena residential neighborhoods above the freeway, would like safe, easy access to school via walking or biking.
    In an email to the city, resident Douglas Alden, chairman of BikeWalkSolana, supported the project moving forward.

“This is the main thoroughfare through our community,” he wrote. “It is a major route to schools for many families who (choose) to walk or bike. Future improvements developed through this study will help address safety concerns raised by the community and improve access for all users.”
    Mayor Mike Nichols said additional parking spaces would be great and none should be eliminated.

“Even one or two is a big deal,” he said. “I know it’s counterproductive in terms of greening … but we also have problems to address.”
    ^^
    MAP
    Image I-5 on-ramps & crosswalk
    Satellite Image I-5 on-ramps & crosswalks
    You see these types of crosswalks all over San Diego. The pedestrians are hidden from view of the right turn lane as they step into the crosswalk. The drivers have difficulty seeing them if vegetation and signage are present. Often they are on slopes so the crosswalk is low, below traffic in front, or you have a double turn lane and the outside traffic turn lane's view is blocked by the inside lane. This is a real design headache for a growing, more dense urban environment, and will be troubling to fix. Every project that can, should be made to modify these instances. (Just like the tragic Point Loma intersection where a baby was killed and a family was devastated.)
    See related post in the In the News thread ~ September 23rd 2017
    $12.5 M Settlement
    September 13. 2017 sandiegouniontribune.com
    City to pay $12.5M to family whose child was killed at dangerous crosswalk in Point Loma
    September 19, 2017 sdnews.com

Protected bike lanes and sidewalks under the I-5 bridge. Let's give credit to the design, build and thoughtful, forward thinking of this facility. Nicely done!
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2017

Old Knotty Buoy:
    Protected bike lanes and sidewalks under the I-5 bridge. Let's give credit to the design, build and thoughtful, forward thinking of this facility. Nicely done!

This is a horrible design. All this does is set up ANYONE, be they bicyclist or pedestrian, for a right hook as they cannot be seen at all prior to the right turn for cars. The few times I've ridden there, I haven't taken the bike lane. Too dangerous.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2017 edited

I've ridden Lomas Santa Fe westbound a few times. I think in all cases I considered taking the lane in the street, but figuring I wouldn't be seen in the transition to darkness under the bridge, I took the protected bike lane instead. I was definitely afraid of the right hook emerging from the tunnel--I think I pretty much came to a stop and waited for traffic to clear before proceeding through the signal. If you handle it this way, it does solve the problem of mixing it up with cars in the low-visibility transition. You just have to give in completely at the end.

I don't think it's any worse for pedestrians than other crossings--you just have to watch like a hawk and either scoot across when nobody is coming, or make clear eye contact if there's not a real gap in traffic.
    I've only driven through here, never on a bike, so really have to confess to no first hand experience.

I see Mike's point about the right hook potential on the short westbound lanes exiting the underpass. Maybe some green paint through the conflict zone could help, as well as a sign stating bikes have "Right of Way" or "Watch for Bikes". Pedestrians at least have the WALK signals to secure some protections via the traffic lights. (The "Share the Road" sign, just before exiting from under the bridge, doesn't quite do it for me.)

I still think this is a good facility, especially for the children who may want to ride through here on the route to school. (See related post in In the News thread ~ September 23rd 2017) Taking the lane during the frantic morning commute doesn't seem like the best strategy for small, young bicyclists accessing elementary or middle schools. Young bicyclists could wait and use the crosswalk light if needed. I've seen that done consistently over the years with the Dana Middle School bike train, as an effective, though not ideal, way to deal with busy Nimitz Boulevard.

We've all experienced the sudden light level changes when entering or exiting these shaded underpasses. In mid summer, with the bright sun high overhead, the changes can be blinding as the eyes are slow to adapt. Wearing dark eye protection only compounds the difficulty. Providing robust facilities to bicyclist and pedestrians seems very reasonable when considering visibility difficulties. (Night riding or walking is very similar if there are no under bridge lights.) Another consideration might be sunset and sunrise at certain times of the year. Drivers are blinded by a low, bright sun directly in front of them, making side checks difficult.

Riding the OB Bike Path and speeding under the bridges at West Mission Bay and Sunset Cliffs bridges can be fraught with danger when homeless grocery carts, flotsam, rock art and debris are strewn about the bike path. Add another one or more bicyclist coming from the opposite direction and there can be some real trouble. (Other examples might include the low, narrow underpasses along the Rose Creek bike path, the underpasses at the bottom of Pershing Drive with the many deep gratings for storm water drains, underpasses along the SD River bike path, etc. etc.)

I like the solid concrete barrier between high speed vehicles and the slower bikes and pedestrians. The pillars do reduce the visibility of bicyclist to drivers in this instance, but those must be a compromise to the structure's engineering I'm guessing. At least vehicles are prevented from 'cheating' as they approach the right turn, by scooting over into the bike lane far in advance of the turn. (I've praised the separated bike path over the Sunset Cliffs bridge many times and now see this 'under the bridge' facility as being in the same vein. These separated facilities must be part of the build when the bridges are designed, built or upgraded, as it will be the only chance to affix these improvements cost effectively.)
    (cont.)

I wish the sweeping turn onto the freeway ramp was more of a "T" intersection. That would act as a road diet type slowing feature and force a deliberate check, and better visibility, to the 'corner' of the sidewalk and bike lane. The essential logic behind bulb-outs and such. Hell, they're only racing to the freeway metering signal at the top of the ramp anyway. Why not slow the whole train of traffic so the bike and pedestrian components of the facility are given due consideration. What's the rush? Where's the fire?

I've stated many times that bridges are major infrastructure investments, essentially permanent, and so should be built with much needed forward thinking as to accommodate the mode share changes we all are working toward. There may be moderate use now but in the future there will be much more utilization of bike and pedestrian facilities. The investment in today's dollars will seem precedent, if not a very cost effective, and a seeming bargain, over the life of these long lasting facilities.

Chesterton Elementary Walk Audit
    Chris O'Connell - October 24, 2017
    Chesterton Elementary has joined Rady Children’s Hospital to make our school zones safer and more walk-able for our children! Join the school staff, Rady Children’s Hospital, City engineers, SD police officers, and community members on a walk around the schools to discuss safety concerns and how we can address them together!

The goal of the Walk Audit is to evaluate the perimeter of the school (about ¼ mile radius around the School) for traffic concerns (lack of signals, speeding, non-adherence to signage), environmental issues (overgrown brush, poor lighting) or infrastructural issues (lack of sidewalks, cross walks, lack of bike facilities).

When: Monday, October 30th, 2017 from 8:15 am to 10:15 am
    Where: Chesterton Elementary School Staff Lounge
    7335 Wheatley St, San Diego, CA 92111
    (858) 496-8070
    MAP
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2017

Mission Center Road seems to have been re-striped for bike lanes around Best Buy and Camino de la Reina.

The location of the long-sought grade crossing. (Pedestrian bridge is on right side of image.)
    Image from Google Maps

Key Railroad Crossing Near Petco Park Could Finally Be Reopened
    Chris Jennewein October 29, 2017 timesofsandiego.com/
    A key downtown railroad crossing — closed for more than 15 years — could finally be reopened following a ruling by the California Public Utilities Commission.
    MAP
    Barriers were erected in 2001 when Eighth Avenue was reconfigured to accommodate the diagonal extension from 12th Avenue, which was renamed Park Boulevard, as part of the construction of Petco Park. At the time, both the commission and BNSF Railway raised safety concerns.
    “For more than a decade, as long as I have represented downtown on the City Council and now in the Assembly, I have pushed for this project’s completion. Opening this crossing has the ability to make a world of difference to improve traffic flow in downtown, improve pedestrian safety, and connect vehicular traffic from Balboa Park directly to the harbor,” said Gloria.

Reopening the crossing will require over $10 million in construction, and it was not immediately clear how long that would take.

I hope pedestrians and bicyclists are well considered when this project comes about. Let's hope the very expensive $10M price tag for this intersection doesn't wildly inflate as the nearby pedestrian bridge price tag did. When first approved, the pedestrian bridge was projected at $3M but ended up at over $17M. Is it now redundant, or even irrelevant, with the newly proposed intersection? Can we return it and get our money back? Just wondering…
    This may be older news, but it is still relevant.

Partial Closure of San Luis Rey River Trail for Sediment Removal Project
    News August 17, 2017 osidenews.com
    Oceanside CA— The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) is tentatively scheduled to begin removing sediment in September from approximately two miles of the lower San Luis Rey River to increase water flow capacity in the event of major storms.
    For safety reasons, the sediment removal project will temporarily close a stretch of the San Luis Rey Bicycle/Pedestrian Trail from Foussat Road to Douglas Drive beginning September 18, 2017 and the closure is expected to last through March of 2018. Some prep work (vegetation clearing for access roads) will be taking place the week before.

Trail users traveling westbound will initially encounter the closure/detour starting at Douglas Drive. The detour will direct traffic south on Douglas Drive, west on Pala Road, south on Los Arbolitos Boulevard, south on Fireside Street, west on Mission Avenue, along the old Drive-in and then north on Foussat Road where the trail can be accessed again.

A map of the Uptown Bikeways project shows a gap in planned bike lanes along University Avenue in Hillcrest.

San Diego City Council Moves To Shrink Hillcrest Bike Lane ‘Gap’
    Andrew Bowen October 31, 2017 kpbs.org
    The San Diego City Council voted unanimously on Tuesday to make room for new bike lanes on University Avenue in Hillcrest, shrinking a controversial gap in the city's future bike network.

The council action involved removing 29 metered parking spaces on University Avenue between 6th Avenue and Vermont Street and the re-orientation of parking on several side streets to angled or head-in parking. The end result is a net gain of 19 parking spaces.

The San Diego Association of Governments had plans for a continuous bike lane on University Avenue through the entirety of Hillcrest, but a group of neighborhood business owners lobbied against portions of the plan because they required the removal of a handful of on-street parking spaces.
    Under pressure from those business groups, the SANDAG Transportation Committee in June 2015 moved to scrap a roughly half-mile portion of the network, creating a conspicuous gap in the agency's Uptown Bikeways project. Bike and safe streets advocates saw the gap as a symbol of San Diego's unwillingness to make the tough choices they say are necessary to get people out of cars.
    Andy Hanshaw, executive director of the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition, said the project was overdue.

"University Avenue ... has got a lot of high-volume traffic, higher speeds," he said. "It needs traffic calming. It's got issues with pedestrian and bicyclist safety. Adding a bike lane will improve that situation and get more people a safer space to ride."
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2017 edited

The council action involved ... the re-orientation of parking on several side streets to angled or head-in parking. The end result is a net gain of 19 parking spaces.
    Changing parking from parallel to angled or head-in parking leads to a narrowing of the travel lane and less room for bikes and cars to co-exist. The precedence being set, that for cyclists to get anything, they have to give up more, is dangerous and unacceptable.
    (Cross post for the record...)

Mid-Coast Trolley
    Tweeter Link

NB lane on Morena Boulevard closed between Jutland Dr and Avati Dr Oct 30 thru late Nov 2017.

I'm not sure of the reason for this closure. Hopefully, after any road work along this stretch, we will see some robust, protected bike lanes and pedestrian facilities added. In the past, Sigurd had mentioned the need for better bike lanes along this very wide section of road. Maybe our Bicycle Advisory Committee (BAC) can advocate for a 'Complete Street' with 'Vision Zero' best practices applied after this road work is completed. (Contact the BAC via their web site and ask for protected bike lanes.)

MAP
    Street View
    Road diet with narrower lanes, protected bike lanes, sidewalk completion, better storm drains, retaining wall for steep eastern slope, would greatly improve this very busy street. If we ever get a bridge across the tracks at Jutland, this stretch of road will be used even more than it currently is.
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2017 edited

Sigurd:
    The council action involved ... the re-orientation of parking on several side streets to angled or head-in parking. The end result is a net gain of 19 parking spaces.
    Changing parking from parallel to angled or head-in parking leads to a narrowing of the travel lane and less room for bikes and cars to co-exist. The precedence being set, that for cyclists to get anything, they have to give up more, is dangerous and unacceptable.

That may not necessarily be a bad thing for cyclists. Yes it's less space on side streets; however, a narrower road also generally leads people to drive slower. It's been done in Utrecht.

It's why Upas St is fine as a bike route; its 20mph speed limits and narrow lanes encourage people to drive slower than, say, Nile St. 25th St also went with a road diet with back-in parking and bike lanes, and it's actually really nice. If anything we should ask for back-in parking any time there's a change to angled parking.

It will be interesting to see what if anything they do for 7th Street between University and Robinson as the Whole Foods parking situation is terrible, and leads to backups on 7th.
    Gilman Drive Bridge construction continues with recent bike facilities on approaches.
    UCSD Project
    SANDAG Twitter Link (image of bridge currently)
    Old Gilman Drive view (rotate image to get a sense of 6th College and an unnamed access road to the south.)

West side of HWY-5
    MAP Gilman Drive behind the VA Medical Center
    Satellite View
    Satellite View close up
    Notice the big, sweeping curve has been "T"ed up, and the new intersection has been built. It includes some green bike lanes and - wait for it - bike boxes! How about that for rarely seen bike facilities? I wonder if they'll provide traffic signals that will give bicyclist a ten second head start so as to clear the intersection before right turning traffic proceeds. The east bound traffic lane, approaching the bridge, still seems to pose a right hook potential to bikes in the bike lane. I guess they couldn't provide enough width here to place the right turn lane to the right of the bike through-lane. Maybe as a seldom used access road, this was the best they could do.
    Green Bike Box 1
    Green Bike Box 2 (East bound traffic lane, approaching the bridge)
    (cont.)

East side of HWY-5 (Medical Center Drive)
    MAP East side of HWY-5 (Medical Center Drive)
    Satellite View East side of HWY-5 (Medical Center Drive)
    East side street view (Medical Center Drive)
    It's hard to discern any new bike facilities from these images. Hopefully they will be well thought through and provide the needed functionality to this essentiality new intersection. In these images, there is still a conflict at the sweeping turn, for any bikes in the bike lane going straight through to the new bridge (not shown). Hopefully, this will be "T"ed up as well, and get both bike boxes and bike signals. I'm assuming the pedestrian facilities will be robust as well. Knock on wood.
    (Another story as from Nov 1st, 2017, above.)

The city will remove 29 parking meters along University Avenue in Hillcrest, from Sixth Avenue eastward to Vermont Street, to construct a bicycle lane. (Google Maps)

University Avenue biking lane to gobble up 29 parking meters

Switch to angled stalls nearby to add 48 spaces
    Ken Williams November 3rd, 2017 sduptownnews.com
    In Hillcrest, a bustling neighborhood where finding an empty parking stall can be a challenge in the business corridor, any loss of parking spaces is fought tooth and nail. But not so on Oct. 31 when the City Council voted unanimously on a plan that will remove 29 parking spaces along University Avenue to make way for new bike lanes.

“I think it certainly is a win-win for the community,” District 3 Councilmember Chris Ward said at the council meeting.

“It’s projects like this that are going to help breathe new life into Uptown, increasing ways in which residents can get around town.”
    “The Hillcrest Parking Committee, a subcommittee of the Uptown Community Parking District, worked diligently with the Hillcrest Business Association, Mayor Falconer’s staff and several city departments to develop this win/win scenario,” Trussell said. “It is a good example of encouraging bike paths without sacrificing parking.”

What sold the plan was the proposed switch to angle parking on streets near University Avenue. That will result in an additional 48 parking stalls, bringing a net gain of 19 parking spots in the business district.

"Success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan." Many claim to be responsible for all of this and I'll admit that some groups have played a part in the outcome, but we should give credit where credit is due.

Let's remember the early crusade, advocacy and determined efforts of Samantha Ollinger and the BikeSD.org group who were the initial proponents of this bikeway and others like it throughout the city. Her determined efforts, follow through and consistent advocacy is what really got the wheels turning in the city's bicycle infrastructure enlightenment.

Also to be recognized is Brian Genovese of the City of San Diego's Transportation & Storm Water Division. Along with staff, he has been a very responsive, supportive and diligent public servant to the needs, well being and safety of bicycling commuters.
    No county funding for Del Dios roundabouts yet
    Karen Billing November 1st, 2017 ranchosantafereview.com
    Every day on Paseo Delicias/Del Dios Highway in Rancho Santa Fe, hundreds of cars and commuters are stacked and stranded, backed up by stop signs. Rancho Santa Fe resident Ronald Rich said that the traffic on Del Dios is “intolerable” and is getting worse every week.

“Del Dios is now a major county thoroughfare as more cars hit the roads yet nothing has been done to relieve the delays,” Rich said. “Nothing but years of ‘studies’ and pontification.”
    “The project has been designed, but there is no funding for purchasing required right-of-way or construction,” said Jessica Northrup, the county’s communication officer for the land use and environment group. “Once funds are identified, such as state or federal grants, the project can move forward.”

The construction cost is estimated at about $7 million, which does not include eminent domain fees.
    In May 2015, the Rancho Santa Fe Association board approved traffic signals over roundabouts for the intersections of Via de la Valle, El Montevideo and El Camino del Norte, however, public opposition to the board’s decision led to a community-wide survey in the fall in which 73 percent voted in favor of roundabouts. The board then forwarded its request to the county for roundabouts instead in November 2015.
    Paseo Delicias/Del Dios Highway intersections at:
    Via de la Valle
    MAP
    Street View
    El Montevideo
    MAP
    Street View
    El Camino del Norte
    MAP
    Street View
    Terramar options include intersection, bluff upgrades
    Steve Puterski November 2, 2017 thecoastnews.com
    CARLSBAD — Plans for a significant road improvement and bluff top project have been updated and are available for public review.

The city of Carlsbad has released new options for its Terramar Area Coastal Improvement Project, which covers bluff top, road and safety improvements along Carlsbad Boulevard from just north of the Encina Power Station to just south of Manzano Drive. MAP

The Cannon Road and Cerezo Drive options include either a roundabout or traffic light, along with sidewalks and other safety features for motorists, pedestrians and cyclists. Between North and South Shore drives, street parking, sidewalks and a crosswalk are proposed.
    Near Manzano Drive, just north of the Palomar Airport Road merger, a sidewalk, crosswalk and parking are included. The parking, though, is on the west side of Carlsbad Boulevard, but southbound drivers must back into the reversed angled spaces.

Barberio said this parking option is better suited for safety.

“This formalizes it and puts a little more order to it,” he explained. “You achieve more parking with reverse angle. You back in and pull out. That backing in movement is actually a little safer and easier to maneuver.”
    The project designs will be presented to the City Council in early 2018 for input and selection of the preferred project design. The final design and environmental analysis will then be presented to the Planning Commission for approval with a target date of spring 2018.

Terramar Area Coastal Improvement Project
    Terramar Project Designs: Good overview of project. Lots of pdf files that can be examined in detail. Bike lanes, back-in parking, roundabouts, crosswalks and such are easily examined and can be commented on.
    Coastal Improvements
    Survey Results December 2015
    Active Transportation
    Livable Streets

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2017

Carlsbad has a dedicated person who meets with us to discuss these plans. It's all good.

Rendering of West Mission Bay Drive bridge replacement. Image from California Coastal Commission application

City Eyes $155 Million Replacement of Aging W. Mission Bay Drive Bridge
    Chris Jennewein on November 13, 2017 timesofsandiego.com
    The existing structure is considered structurally deficient and functionally obsolete by the state Department of Transportation. The city began planning its replacement in 2000 when it hired T.Y. Lin International to complete a feasibility study.

The bridge cannot adequately handle the amount of traffic that travels on it from Sports Arena Boulevard and West Mission Bay Drive, which are each six lanes, and the I-8 freeway, according to state and city documents. It’s designed to handle 40,000 daily trips, though daily traffic volumes exceeded 64,000 vehicles during a 2009 city study.
    ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ====

Plan To Replace West Mission Bay Drive Bridge Will Go Before City Council
    City News Service November 13, 2017 kpbs.org
    A plan nearly two decades in the making to replace the decrepit West Mission Bay Drive bridge over the San Diego River is scheduled to go before the City Council Monday.

The $155 million project would replace the 1950 four-lane bridge that connects the Midway area and Mission Bay Park with two three-lane bridges. Up to $140 million of that would come from federal grants. The remainder would be paid for by the city.
    The new bridge would improve congestion in the area. It would reduce wait times at nearby intersections by up to two minutes, according to the traffic study.

It would also improve pedestrian and bicycle safety and access. Planned are 12-foot wide multi-use paths on each of the new bridges. The existing bridge has very narrow paths on either side.
    Construction is expected to take two years. Two lanes of traffic will remain open over the river during the project, according to documents.

Wow, I thought this was a done deal and was already started. The original costs were quoted between $100M to $110M just one year ago. (See Nov 5th 2016 posting above.) Now they need $155M?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2017

The new bridge would improve congestion in the area. It would reduce wait times at nearby intersections by up to two minutes...
    I'm sure it would - but the congestion would only move somewhere else.

It would also improve pedestrian and bicycle safety and access. Planned are 12-foot wide multi-use paths on each of the new bridges.
    That is great - but the roads on either side of the bridge are very dangerous (especially so with the clover leaf exchanges near Sea World Dr, Ingraham St and W MB Dr), and unless they do something with that too, putting MUPs on the bridge would only lure unsuspecting peds and cyclists into trouble.

The $155 million project would replace...with two three-lane bridges. Up to $140 million of that would come from federal grants. The remainder would be paid for by the city.
    Is this the best use they can come up with for this federal grant?
    Maybe that federal grant should be used for something less car-centric.

The existing (top) and proposed West Mission Bay Drive Bridges. Courtesy California Coastal Commission

Bottleneck West Mission Bay Drive Bridge to be Replaced with 2 Spans
    Ken Stone November 13, 2017 timesofsandiego.com
    A plan nearly two decades in the making to replace the decrepit West Mission Bay Drive bridge over the San Diego River was unanimously approved Monday by the City Council.

The city plans to put the project out to bid this week and begin construction next year. The work is expected to be completed in fall 2021, according to staff.

Since newer sections will be built first, two lanes in each direction will remain open over the river while the work proceeds.