Not signed in (Sign In)
    (Responding to post in Upcoming Local Events thread: August 31, 2017)

Paul,

I agree with your assessment of two-way cycle-tracks on any gradient other than level. Both the Rose Creek Bikeway and the Pershing Bikeway have significant gradients that allow downhill speeds to become an issue (combined with the slower uphill speeds). Even on flats like the Bayshore Bikeway, Rose Creek Bike Path, San Diego River Trail, Friars Road and other such two-way cycle tracks, the potential for collisions is increased if the paths are too narrow, have a poor surface, poor lighting or are used, intentionally or not, as MUP's by pedestrians, runners, dog walkers and bird watchers. Think Ocean Front walk along Mission Beach on a summer afternoon or riding under the bridges of the Rose Creek bike path after work, at night, in the winter.

Bicyclists have been clamoring for safe, functional transportation solutions. They want to get from A to B quickly and safely without impediments. Often what we get is 'mixed-use" solutions that are as a panacea to the squeaky wheels. I do appreciate all that has been done, but we need continuous quality improvement and to raise the bar and set goals higher.

“A lot of people think of the Bayshore Bikeway as a great recreational amenity,” Stephan Vance said. “It is, but for us it’s all about providing transportation options for people...”

=========

"A separated bikeway is an exclusive bike facility that combines the user experience of a separated path with the on-street infrastructure of a conventional bike lane. A separated bikeway is physically separated from motor traffic and distinct from the sidewalk (National Association of City Transportation Officials). Separated bikeways can be either one or two-way bike facilities."

Pershing Bikeway
    Proposed project features include a separated bikeway, buffered bike lanes and walking path, and will create safer biking and walking conditions for people of all ages and abilities. Examine the documents for proposed alignments and proposed concept designs. You'll see many two-way cycle-tracks on steep gradients. Will they be wide enough for safety?
    Potential Bikeway Alignments
    Intersection Renderings - Proposed Concept Designs

Rose Creek Bikeway
    The Rose Creek Bikeway is part of the Coastal Rail Trail and is being designed as a Class I bike path (completely separated from vehicle traffic) that connects existing sections of the Rose Canyon and Rose Creek bike paths in the City of San Diego.
    Cycle Track with Barrier Cross Section
    Cycle Track with Barrier Oblique View
    Raised Cycle Track Cross Section (without Barrier from vehicles)
    Raised Cycle Track Oblique View (without Barrier from vehicles)

I think the final design for the Rose Creek Bikeway is about done and construction is to start imminently. I don't remember seeing any public meetings on final design details such as 'barriers or bollards' between cycle-track and vehicles. It makes a difference. One man's opinion… hard barriers please!

Update on East Valley Pkwy/Valley Center Road Widening Project
    August 31, 2017 valleycenter.com
    This project will widen the bridge over Escondido Creek north of Lake Wohlford Road, widen East Valley Parkway and Valley Center Road from Beven Drive to the Northern City Limits, add medians and landscaping, and construct sidewalk from Beven Drive to the northern city limit of Escondido. Schedule: September 2017 – April 2019

MAP

Total Project Cost: $9.7 Million: Funding sources include an $800,000 contribution from the Rincon Band of Luiseño Indians, a $675,000 Highway Safety Improvement Program Grant, a $1.6 million Demonstration Grant, TransNet and Traffic Impact Fees.

-------
    NOTE: No mention of protected bike lanes nor such infrastructure as bike loop detectors, signals for bicyclists, green paint through conflict areas, bike wayfinding signage or other bike signage…
    --------

Escondido's East Valley Parkway widening to start soon

J. Harry Jones July 14, 2017 sandiegouniontribune.com
    The project will widen the road between Beven Drive and Lake Wohlford Road to three lanes in each direction. North of that the bridge over Escondido Creek will also be enlarged to accommodate two through lanes in each direction north of Lake Wohlford Road to the city boundary.

---------

This 3,000 foot stretch of East Valley Parkway/Valley Center Road will be widened by the city of Escondido beginning in 2017.

Escondido to begin $9.7 million road widening of East Valley Parkway next year
    DAVID ROSS December 22, 2016 valleycenter.com
    ^^
    ==== Related Information ====

Google Street View image of current Escondido Creek bridge.
    Google satellite view of current Escondido Creek bridge.
    North end of Escondido Creek Bike Path at Beven Drive.
    Escondido Creek Bike Path at Beven Drive (looking south). North of here is not completed. This, in fact, may be the terminus and bicyclist are expected to use Beven Drive to Valley Center Road to continue on their way east. All the more need for bike facilities on the new Escondido Creek bridge.
    Satellite View North end of Escondido Creek Bike Path

==== Escondido Creek Bike Path ====

I've never ridden on the Escondido Creek Bike Path. I don't know if bicyclist use it all that much to get through the downtown and on their way east. I'll include a few links to portions of the existing path and include some Escondido City bike information in the links below.

Escondido Creek Bike Path at North Citrus Avenue
    Escondido Creek Bike Path at North Rose Street
    Pedestrian Bridge over Escondido Creek at North Date Street the with bike path running alongside the creek. Bike path transitions from the north side of the creek, across the bridge to the south side of the creek here.
    South end of Escondido Creek Bike Path at Harmony Grove Road MAP Image
    =======================

Bicycle Master Plan City of Escondido

Escondido Creek Trail
    Master Plan Report
    January 10, 2012
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2017

That bike path along the Escondido Creek is pretty dysfunctional in my book. It doesn't give you a safe way of crossing the roads it runs into. You just pop up and expected to pull out your wand and apparate yourself and the bike to the other side of the road. :oP I sometimes use just the section between the Transit Center and Washington to get myself on Mission Rd to head home (in Vista) via the road way (the rail-trail path along the Sprinter line is pretty hazardous at intersections. I keep seeing near misses as right-turning drivers rarely ever check their right when making the turn... simply because they don't expect a bike to shoot straight thru the intersection from the sidewalk on their right).
    That sounds a lot like the argument often stated for discouraging parking protected bike lanes. When bicyclist cross the openings to driveways or side roads, they are not seen by turning vehicles and thus very vulnerable.

I don't have a good answer for the problem. Maybe for the Escondido Creek bike path and other such facilities, a well marked crosswalk might provide some utility. If there is so much vehicle traffic that a bicyclist can't get across, they could dismount and walk their bike with the privileges afforded pedestrians in a crosswalk. Just thinking out loud here. It's a tough nut to crack.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2017

"the privileges afforded pedestrians in a crosswalk"

In my experience, these privileges are disappearing.
    Ha, so true,

I remember when vehicles would stop on Mission Boulevard, Garnet Avenue and other local streets to let pedestrians, parents with strollers and kids with surfboards walk across the street, even if they were jay walking. That courtesy disappeared in the 80's with the densification of the beach neighborhoods and with so many people moving here from other places. They all brought 'their' diverse habits and attitudes and were more than happy to explain how driving was done correctly, where they came from.

I was once one of those people; young and full of myself. It took a few years before I 'got it', and assimilated to the then courteous driving habits of the Southern California beach communities. That was in a universe long, long ago….
    City Heights getting 'complete street' geared for walkers, bicyclists
    David Garrick September 11, 2017 sandiegouniontribune.com
    The heart of City Heights, one of San Diego’s poorest and most ethnically diverse neighborhoods, would become more pedestrian and bicycle friendly under a $5 million proposal that aims to revamp several blocks of University Avenue.
    The first step is re-striping University to transform one eastbound vehicle lane into a cycling lane, which will slow traffic and give cyclists a painted bike lane that is called for in the city’s bicycle master plan. The change also shortens the crossing distance of University for pedestrians, reducing crashes and fatalities.

Long term, the city plans to install a raised center median with pedestrian crossing islands, wider sidewalks and more trees. Two stoplights will also be removed and three roundabouts will be installed at Highland, Chamoune and Menlo Avenues. (MAP)

The city is planning several other “complete street” projects, particularly in downtown where an ambitious mobility plan would add dozens of cycling lanes.