Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2018

The Rose Creek Bikeway may start next month, according to SANDAG:

http://www.keepsandiegomoving.com/RegionalBikeProjects/rose_creek_bikeway_notices.aspx

The plan is to start clearing vegetation and stage construction items for major construction starting in June 2018.

Anticipated completion of the section connecting Rose Canyon Bike Path to Rose Creek Bike Path is now early 2020, from early 2019.
    I wonder if there will also be clearing of the homeless encampments near the creek north of In N Out and just west of Mission Bay Drive? That will be a sketchy section of path to ride at night as it stands, especially for women. (I think most women avoid the current section of path between Mission Bay Drive and Balboa, even in the daytime.)

I don't love riding on Santa Fe, but I would gladly sacrifice the whole separated bike path for a good bridge over the railroad tracks into Marion Bear Park.
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2018

Shady John:I wonder if there will also be clearing of the homeless encampments near the creek north of In N Out and just west of Mission Bay Drive? That will be a sketchy section of path to ride at night as it stands, especially for women. (I think most women avoid the current section of path between Mission Bay Drive and Balboa, even in the daytime.)

I don't love riding on Santa Fe, but I would gladly sacrifice the whole separated bike path for a good bridge over the railroad tracks into Marion Bear Park.

They'll probably clear out the homeless as it looks like it'll go right through there. In-N-Out is going to love the bike path.

As for Santa Fe, I don't mind a Class I path there even if it's not 100%; it'll be consistent with the entire Coastal Rail Trail. However, I would love some infrastructure to connect the bike path to Morena Blvd that is cyclable without dismounting.
    Studies show roundabouts promote traffic safety
    December 29, 2017 valleycenter.com
    The Valley Center Planning Group recently got a reply from SANDAG (San Diego Association of Governments) on its request for information about the safety of roundabouts. Some members of the group are promoting the use of at least one and maybe more roundabouts along Valley Center Road, with the most often mentioned proposed location for such a traffic calming device being at Valley Center Road & Mirar de Valle.
    The group recently applied for a Cal Trans Grant to study traffic calming methods, including roundabouts. Last week the group got its answer from Stephan Vance, senior regional planner, who provided the group with the following statistics.
    “Studies have shown that roundabouts are safer than traditional stop sign or signal-controlled intersections,” Vance wrote. “Roundabouts reduced injury crashes by 75% at intersections where stop signs or signals were previously used for traffic control, according to a study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).

“Studies by the IIHS and Federal Highway Administration have shown that roundabouts typically achieve:
    • A 37% reduction in overall collisions
    • A 75% reduction in injury collisions
    • A 90% reduction in fatality collisions
    • A 40% reduction in pedestrian collisions
    See related November 7th, 2017 posting above.
    I came across this information while checking out the articles for Coastal Rail shutdowns over the coming January weekends.

Rail 2 Rail®
    Metrolink Monthly Pass holders can take advantage of the Rail 2 Rail program which allows them to travel on Amtrak Pacific Surfliner trains within station pairs of their pass at no additional charge.

The Rail 2 Rail® program allows Metrolink Monthly Pass holders along the Orange and Ventura County corridors to travel on Amtrak Pacific Surfliner trains within the station pairs of their pass at no additional charge, including Saturday and Sunday. Metrolink Monthly Pass holder who travel outside of station pairs identified on their pass are required to purchase an Amtrak ticket for the portion of the trip not within the Monthly Pass station pairs. Metrolink passengers simply show their Monthly Pass and board any Amtrak Pacific Surfliner train or bus to their destination.

The Rail 2 Rail® program does NOT include travel on Coast Starlight trains. Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Monthly Pass holders may ride any Metrolink train within the station pairs on their pass at no additional charge.
    Bike Reservation
    Rail 2 Rail® riders should be advised that a valid Amtrak ticket and a complimentary bike reservation will be necessary in order to bring a bike on board Pacific Surfliner trains. Metrolink monthly pass holders will not be allowed to board with a bike without purchasing an Amtrak ticket and reserving the bike slot space in advance. Amtrak tickets and bike reservations can be obtained by visiting Amtrak.com, at Quik-Trak ticketing machines, from station ticket agents, or by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL. Please use Metrolink trains if your journey requires bicycle transport. Metrolink has specially retrofitted bike cars on select trains and all passenger cars can hold up to three bikes per car.
    Torrey Pines Road Corridor work to start this month: $2.7 million La Jolla project to finish by summer
    Ashley Mackin-Solomon January 17, 2018 lajollalight.com
    Construction is set to begin at the end of this month on Phase II of the Torrey Pines Road Corridor Project, and last approximately six months. The scope of work is just under a mile of the thoroughfare, between Prospect Place and La Jolla Shores Drive. The City projects traffic impacts will be minimal.

San Diego Public Information Officer Alec Phillipp said the project includes:
    • Installation of a new sidewalk on the south side of Torrey Pines Road between Hillside Drive and Amalfi Street
    • Installation of a pedestrian crossing on Torrey Pines Road west of Princess Drive, with street lighting and crosswalk systems
    • Asphalt concrete overlay with striping of buffered bike lanes along Torrey Pines Road, from La Jolla Shores Drive to Princess Drive, and Coast Walk to Prospect Place
    • Installation of a flush stamped and painted asphalt median between Roseland Drive and Hillside Drive
    To create continuity and a safer bicycling path, he said a buffered bike lane would be installed on both sides of the street. An update has the bike lane in two segments. To accommodate the bike lanes, the vehicular traffic lanes would be narrowed. The lane widths would be adjusted to a 10-foot left lane and 11-foot right lane, a two-foot bike lane buffer and a five-foot bike lane. Bliss added: “The narrower lanes will make motorists feel a little pinched, so they will slow down a bit, and the HAWK beacon will provide a break in traffic. The buffered bike lane will suggest a bike corridor, and we think all these measures will slow traffic down.”
    The project construction should start the last week of January and be complete by the summer. The current project cost is $2,692,235 for the entirety of work. “A majority of this is funded through TransNet, and a small portion is funded through the Water Utility CIP fund,” Phillipp said.