Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2018

They repaved most of the downhill side too. Not quite as nice as the "highway" going uphill but good enough for going fast. They fixed the cracks and holes and two major root bumps that were there before.

@BuildNCC tweet:
    Build NCC Alert: Motorists in Encinitas may experience short, intermittent delays on San Elijo Ave, between Cornish Dr and Verdi Ave (green highlights), on Aug. 9-10, between 9am-3:30pm, for construction of the Coastal Rail Trail. 2-way traffic will be maintained by flaggers.

Build NCC July Project Update
    Progress continued along the North Coast Corridor throughout the months of June and July on critical highway, environmental, rail, and bike/pedestrian improvements.

Coastal Rail Trail Bikeway Crews Focus on Underground Utilities
    Coastal Rail Trail bikeway construction crews are focused on relocating drainage facilities both at the north end of the project near Santa Fe Drive and verifying utilities near the south end at Chesterfield Drive. Crews are also building a modular retaining wall near the north end to support the foundation of the new bike trail.

Coastal Rail Trail bikeway crews work on a drainage facility between San Elijo Avenue and the rail line.

Below is a snapshot of construction activities taking place in August.
    Bike and Pedestrian Improvements:
    • Constructing retaining walls along San Elijo Avenue for the Coastal Rail Trail
    • Performing drainage improvements along San Elijo Avenue in advance of constructing the Coastal Rail Trail
    • Completing retaining walls on the south side of Santa Fe Drive and Encinitas Boulevard at I-5
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2018 edited

batmick:
    bikingbill:
    Old Knotty Buoy:From Twitter: BikeSD re-tweeted from Evan Schumacher

I haven't done a "no brakes/speed run" down Torry Pines (northbound) since the late 1990's.

Time to do that again, apparently.

The favorite part of my daily commute home. When the wind is right and you dare you can hit 50mph.

1. I have a fast Recumbent.
    2. I weight over 230lbs and the bike+gear is 40lbs.

I expect closer to 60 if I'm stupid enough.

Alga Road a few years ago:

I remember hitting 60 mph a couple of times when I was younger, e.g. descent of the steep part of Palisades Drive (way before there was Strava)

https://www.strava.com/activities/220001001/segments/5199128036

Now I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly-maybe it was only 50 mph? In the last few years, my max has been around 40 mph. No great joy in descending fast on pavement--a lot of time it's just a matter of getting it over with.

SANDAG: Tweet

Overnight full closure of Friars Road planned Sunday–Thursday nights through the end of August 2018, from 7pm-5am. Please follow all traffic controls and detours. For details, visit http://KeepSanDiegoMoving.com/MidCoastNotices

Proposals call for miles of improved bike lanes throughout the Village and Barrio with several different concepts, one being a cycle track.
    Photo by Shana Thompson

Village and Barrio Master Plan highlights mobility
    Steve Puterski August 17, 2018 thecoastnews.com
    CARLSBAD — Mobility is a priority for the city, especially in Carlsbad Village and Barrio neighborhoods. The recently passed Village and Barrio Master Plan outlines numerous concepts and proposals to increase pedestrian, cycling and vehicle safety. The plan also lays out ideas for a Grand Avenue promenade and numerous street connections across the railroad tracks and under Interstate 5 at Grand Avenue.

Other priorities include trenching the railroad tracks; although the City Council has made it a goal of the city regardless of the master plan, adding roundabouts and bulb-outs to slow turns at intersections in the Barrio, as well as other traffic calming measures and pedestrian improvements. Mobility and easy in-and-out access to the neighborhoods will come in several phases, in addition to other aspects of the plan, which range between one to six years.

“A next step for this project is we got this phasing plan and how do we implement it,” Carlsbad Senior Planner Scott Donnell said.
    Walkways and Streetscape

Creating livable streets is a priority and one call to action is designs for pedestrians. For example, the plan calls for all sidewalks to have a minimum width of 5 feet. For high-foot-traffic areas, more than 5 feet is preferred, schools at least 6 feet and primary commercial streets call for 10 feet.

Crosswalks are another point, where the plan calls for additional measures to increase slower traffic and handle more foot traffic. One proposal is to incorporate more pedestrian “scrambles,” crosswalks with diagonal pathways like the one at Carlsbad Village Drive and Carlsbad Boulevard.

Mobility and easy in-and-out access to the neighborhoods will come in several phases, in addition to other aspects of the plan, which range between one to six years. Photo by Shana Thompson

Bike paths and Traffic

Thousands of residents and visitors take to the streets each year on bikes. Residents who have spoken during public meetings have voiced their concerns for more safety and distance between bikes and vehicles in many areas.

Proposals call for miles of improved bike lanes throughout the Village and Barrio with several different concepts, one being a cycle track. A cycle track offers a protected bike lane separate from motorists by a median or something similar. The bike paths, though, would be implemented where space and logistics allow. For safety measures, the plan details recommendations for bike boxes at intersections to allow cyclists a head start. In addition, bicycle signal prioritization is also an option incorporating bike boxes to allow cyclists to safely get across an intersection before motorists.

For motorists, the city has laid out a concept for nine bulb-outs, eight traffic circles and a shared space intersection in the Barrio. “I think the big benefit for Barrio residents … it’s more in the vision regarding traffic safety and improvements for pedestrians,” Donnell said. “Lighting, better sidewalks and ways for slowing cars is all laid out here. That’s really one of the major components of this plan that truly reflects what residents wanted.”
    Grand Avenue promenade, street connections

A possibility is floating for creating a Grand Avenue promenade, which would turn the eastbound lane into a walkable area. Sidewalks would be 32 feet wide and include a cycle track with a median separating drive-thru traffic from the promenade. The westbound lane, which is already two lanes, would feature one lane in each direction. Motorists traveling north from Carlsbad Village Drive, though, would still be able to turn at various traffic lights intersecting with the promenade.
    More in article.

==================
    Related Article:
    Some changes for land use in Village, Barrio plan
    Steve Puterski August 9, 2018, thecoastnews.com
    Letter to the Editor: WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME TO APPROVE ROUNDABOUTS
    news desk August 17, 2018 valleycenter.com
    There was overwhelming public backing at the June meeting; retracting that motion was a disservice to Mr. Vick and to the community at large. On September 10, 2018, I hope that the VCCPG will approve a motion identical to that of June and will push the County to proceed. We are running out of time.

KEVIN SMITH, Valley Center