Not signed in (Sign In)
    I searched for a thread on this and I cannot find one... Please do link me if I missed it.
    Post videos of your commute or videos you have made while out riding.

Here's my commute:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2011 edited

Cool video (North County, I presume?) and cool idea: Somebody posted a commute video here a while back, but I can't remember into what thread he dropped it, so starting a new thread works well. I don't suppose we will get that much video content here as I only know of a few people here with helmet cams, but for now I have some questions:

1) GoPro HD?
    2) Handlebar mount (video nice and non-jittery; love the STI shifter action!)?
    3) Your movements, acceleration and pace seem fast - is the movie playing in real-time speed?
    4) Have you tried creating time-lapse videos from the bike?
    Done. It's the GoPro 960 mounted to the bars. I think the video might have been sped up a bit in the mixdown or something.. It does look too fast. I'm usually riding 15-28mph though. 10 going up the small hill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2011

I remember Brian in North County did a cool time lapse of his commute.
    Sigurd:Cool video (North County, I presume?) and cool idea: Somebody posted a commute video here a while back, but I can't remember into what thread he dropped it, so starting a new thread works well. I don't suppose we will get that much video content here as I only know of a few people here with helmet cams, but for now I have some questions:

1) GoPro HD?
    2) Handlebar mount (video nice and non-jittery; love the STI shifter action!)?
    3) Your movements, acceleration and pace seem fast - is the movie playing in real-time speed?
    4) Have you tried creating time-lapse videos from the bike?

Hey, Yea it's all San Marcos area. The video goes from Craven Rd. up to Cal state San Marcos, to East Barham drive, to Woodland Pkwy, and west on Mission.
    I got the GoPro 960(Can't afford the HD), It is handlebar mounted. I mounted it somewhat on the bartape so it absorbs the bumps a little better.
    I watched the video again and I think the video is in real time. I know I didn't change the speed. It may have messed up in the mixdown, but I did take my road bike in that day, I was riding pretty quick.
    I haven't tried time lapse yet, I'm just getting into making videos.. I've never done it before, I'll look into it though. I've seen some that just look awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2011 edited

Olympia, WA - San Francisco, CA in 4:30 time lapse (not mine). Zonal -- and others -- don't miss the Mission District murals about one third into it!

Get your sea-sick tablets ready:

• CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011

Made that a while back. I'm thinking of a new one that is all commute based, but need some help with it.
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011 edited

Cool idea - I got a camera a while back and decided to give it a try!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011

Great video, Andy - I recognized the first half of your route! I am getting pretty interested in getting a GoPro now...

Would somebody share with us the steps taken to produce a YouTube ready time-lapse video -- shot interval, software needed, etc.?
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2011 edited

Sigurd:Great video, Andy - I recognized the first half of your route! I am getting pretty interested in getting a GoPro now...

Would somebody share with us the steps taken to produce a YouTube ready time-lapse video -- shot interval, software needed, etc.?

-Thanks, Sigurd!

I set the GoPro to a 2 second interval (instructions @ gopro.com). Hit the "record" button and cruised out the door. The camera part was pretty straightforward. Now you have a large number of photos to import- I had about 1000 after my ride.
    Take the sd card from the camera and put it in the computer (I have a Mac). This automatically brought up iPhoto where the photos were stored.
    Next open iMovie and dragged all the pictures to a New Project in iMovie.
    Selected all and set each picture to last for 0.1 seconds.
    Add a fade transition at the start and one at the end then put in a song and it is done.
    Finally export it (the finished movie) to the desktop and opened my Vimeo account then uploaded the appropriate file.

I hope to see some more commutes! I liked mine in the 1'40" version rather than the standard 35' version!
    Great commute Andy. I have a bunch of time lapse photos from my GoPro HD that I still have to compile into a time lapse slideshow.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2011

I tried to figure out time lapse this morning and failed. Will try again, hopefully soon. I love movies/videos about biking.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2011 edited

Here's Brian Itzaina's commute video using GoPro HD. Posted May 29, 2010 in the "How was your commute today?" thread

brian itzaina:http://vimeo.com/12138765

Here's a menu cheat sheet thing for the GoPro's settings...
    These are for the GoPro 960: http://www.eyeofmine.com/gopro/hd/960/hdhero-menusystem-960.pdf
    And these are for the GoPro HD: http://www.epirbhire.com.au/images/GoPro%20instructions.PDF

I'll give the time lapse thing a try Sunday when I go back to work... That's the slowest day for traffic, so less of a chance of having to use crosswalks and crap because of the "great" drivers here. *sarcasm*
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011 edited

Ok, I'm trying to figure out how to take videos like the ones visualized in my head, but the learning curve is a leetle bit steep for me. But here is my first attempt. Not my commute, but I was having lunch in the park:

The first part was me trying to capture an interesting intersection which I quickly got bored with. But then...bike!! So I got excited and started recording again. There is a lot of things I don't know how to edit out or fix, but WIP!! It's in ancient mode because one days cars will be a relic of the past and we will all marvel at how we tolerated such noisy, noisy things :face-devil-grin:
    I'll try to refilm my commute this weekend or next Sunday if I have time. It really does look out of time. Especially during the 2nd half. I was going to this past Sunday but I've been really busy with work.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011

Here is another one:

Sorry if you get ill with all the bouncy, wavy motion - I apparently move a lot while riding. Also I know I'm using copyrighted music and am expecting a little take down notice. So enjoy while you can.
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2011

Here's a somewhat half-assed video I put together last week. Just a few clips of myself and a couple of friends at a local 'secret spot' :face-monkey:

• CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2011

I transferred to a new job site across town, the commute is a bit longer but the change has been nice:
    @An.dy: Almost didn't recognize you at the TdF merchandise booth without your sunglasses, helmet, and jersey...What time lapse setting did you use on the GoPro?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2011

Great movie, Andy: I lost you around the Convention Center, but guessing your new work is somewhere in south-east San Diego.
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011

Mark - good to see you yesterday, I think it was a good day for the SDMBA and the TdF! Hope it was a good time for you, too! The gopro was set to take a picture every 2 seconds then I imported the pictures to iPhoto (about 1600 of them!) and selected all and set to display each for 0.1 seconds. I had to change the setting from "Ken Burns" to "fit" to avoid a seizure-inducing onslaught of zooms.

Sigurd, thank you. I am working out east at a new school near the 94 and 47th Ave. Pretty interesting commute going from the beach through many different sections of the city...

Mark and Sigurd (and T.e.d. and whoever else...) as the weather has been cooling it would be great to make another lap out to Boulder Creek or elsewhere in the Cuyamacas and Lagunas - that was such a great ride last year!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011

An.dy:Mark and Sigurd (and T.e.d. and whoever else...) as the weather has been cooling it would be great to make another lap out to Boulder Creek or elsewhere in the Cuyamacas and Lagunas - that was such a great ride last year!
    That's a good idea - I'll set up a new thread shortly.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011 edited

Hey Andy, could you tell me where this is? Great single tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011

markphilips:...could you tell me where this is?
    Here.
    I like where this has gone.. It's interesting to see other commutes and rides. I wish I had more time to make another. I've been very busy lately.
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011 edited

Sigurd:
    markphilips:...could you tell me where this is?
    Here.

We started at mile marker 19 (it is a wide spot in the road with an overlook on the right side of the road (assuming that you're traveling in a generally northward direction from the 8). The trail starts on the opposite side of the road and is pretty well marked, telling you where bikes are and are not allowed. It is a super fun and nontechnical ride, but can also be used as a starting point for some epic loops to the Cuyamacas, the Anza Borrego, and anywhere else you can connect the dots! Let me know if you've any questions about it! Oh, and you can start from the Penny Pines parking lot, too, to access the BLT.

The GoPro has been a surprisingly fun thing to bring along on rides...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2011

Mark created this video from the 2011 San Diego Tweed Ride using his GoPro:

Looking great, Mark!

Some questions:

1) The movie has no video footage - only stills compiled into a slideshow, right?
    2) Which software did you use to create the slideshow movie?
    3) Is the distinct "fish eye" lens effect visible in this movie typical for all "sports cameras"?
    4) Is there a lot of compression taking place - i.e., loss of resolution and overall quality - in converting the slideshow to YouTube format?
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2011 edited

1) The movie has no video footage - only stills compiled into a slideshow, right?

Yes. I have the GoPro set to take 5 second time lapse. I turn it on and aim at a scene. I prefer time lapse over video. So I can use the stills for printing or other arrangements and compilations.

2) Which software did you use to create the slideshow movie?

Windows Movie Maker on Windows XP from my little Asus netbook. It was actually very easy to make: Select the photos, use Automake video, select soundtrack, edit story board, play movie, edit some more, play movie, edit some more, then compile movie, then upload to Youtube. There were many video file formats but I like the HD large size.

3) Is the distinct "fish eye" lens effect visible in this movie typical for all "sports cameras"?

GoPro is the only sports video camera that I know that uses the fish eye view. It really captures amazing views.

4) Is there a lot of compression taking place - i.e., loss of resolution and overall quality - in converting the slideshow to YouTube format?

I didn't notice any loss in resolution and overall quality. Youtube compresses the uploaded videos and what you see on the screen is the same as what I have on my PC. I used the "old film" effects to set the scene which blurs out the images. I'll compile another one without the effects for comparison. I'll also increase the image display to extend the video to 5 minutes.
    Here is the ~5 minute version without the old film effect. Let me know what you think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012 edited

Taken with a GoPro HD during the Soledad Ramble last weekend. Directed by members PanaRossi, produced by Daniel (camera mounted under handlebar). The descent at the beginning is La Jolla Mesa. The ascent is Linda Rosa and La Jolla Corona.

Also in the movie - Svelocity, Cecil, Lisi, MFutch, Mileco, SD_Mike and myself.

Thanks, guys!

CLICK
    •  
      CommentAuthorpanarossi
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012

There are more waiting to be uploaded. I'm currently saving them to my drive with them properly rotated. It'll take at least an hour to upload each on YouTube because of the quality (view it in HD!). All of them should be up and available for viewing by Sunday night.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012

Can't wait - watching that video was almost as exhilarating as doing it!

Amazing image quality, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpanarossi
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012

Videos have be uploaded. These videos have been set so no one can search for them on YouTube; only direct links will give viewers access. Remember to view them in HD for better quality. Enjoy!

soledadramble003
    soledadramble004
    soledadramble005
    soledadramble006
    soledadramble007
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2012 edited

This is the first video I've made using my GoPro!

Here's me blowing up after about twenty something laps (I think we pick up the action around 20 of 30 laps) motor pacing at the velodrome.

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2012

Fantastic videos, Pana and Svelocity - almost like being there!

PS! Reminds me, Pana, why do you even have gears on your bicycle - wouldn't be a lot simpler to rebuild it to a single speed, say a 52x13, and be done with it?
    :face-monkey:
    I agree!

@svelocity - I could here a "rattle" on the GoPro. It is either the camera is loose inside or the clip outside needs some dampener. I've seen that discussed before and I think GoPro has a solution for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012

markphilips:I agree!

@svelocity - I could here a "rattle" on the GoPro. It is either the camera is loose inside or the clip outside needs some dampener. I've seen that discussed before and I think GoPro has a solution for it.

Yeah, there's definitely a rattle. My guess (like you suggest) it's the camera is slightly loose inside the housing. The bike mount does not have a clip so we can eliminate that as a problem. I'll work on it for the next video!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpanarossi
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012

Svelocity, the track vid is sweet! Makes me want to do laps at the velodrome.

Sigurd, because with what I have currently, its a 53X11. Oh it burns.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity

panarossi:Svelocity, the track vid is sweet! Makes me want to do laps at the velodrome.

Sigurd, because with what I have currently, its a 53X11. Oh it burns.

Yeah and I bet you could have kept up that pace, no problem! But for these off season motor paced sessions the coach makes you ride gearing lower than 90. No 53x11 for you!
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin

Whoops, I posted this in the other video thread... but I guess it was supposed to go in here instead.
    (so I'll just whore it up and post it in two spots I guess, heh)

•  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity

McLovin:Whoops, I posted this in the other video thread... but I guess it was supposed to go in here instead.
    (so I'll just whore it up and post it in two spots I guess, heh)

Great vid! I really like your video editing coinciding with the music...especially when your riding bud crashed in front of you...lol...

What editing software are you using? iMovie?
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin

svelocity:
    Great vid! I really like your video editing coinciding with the music...especially when your riding bud crashed in front of you...lol...

What editing software are you using? iMovie?

Thanks! I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements (basically a scaled down personal version of Premiere Pro)... probably using it to 5% of the programs abilities but I'm still learning. :face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthoryadam
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2012 edited

Been watching vids here over the past hour, good stuff. I can't get anything from vimeo to load though :(

Here is a link to some of my recent stuff, should have some more stuff from this weekends rides up in a day or three

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL212426BA5B8CB6BC

• CommentAuthoryadam
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2012 edited

goofing off with my iphone and some vid editing software, southbay.

• CommentAuthorMcLovin
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012

yadam:goofing off with my iphone and some vid editing software, southbay.

I was pretty sure I asked for them to hold the acid in my coffee this morning, but maybe they misunderstood... :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2012 edited

From Fiesta Island today - one long lap (4.1 miles) at 3x speed, 10:12 - turn up the sound!

Not mine - but by Scott Gilbert of the" House That Merckx Built" Club on Strava. 10 various laps with a PR of 10:12, today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012

Quick little test of the GoPro on 3rd street in Encinitas today:

• CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012

Who sez benders can't climb?

Don't you live at the top of Alga? I lived on Unicornio for a couple of years. The land across the street was vacant at the time, 1980-81, and my siblings and I used to ride MX and trials motos out there. My dad had a Bultaco Sherpa T that my sister liked to ride. She could drive that bike up walls. Carlsbad PD didn't care at that time.
    Yes. That is a hill.