Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012

wpstoll:Who sez benders can't climb?

Don't you live at the top of Alga? I lived on Unicornio for a couple of years. The land across the street was vacant at the time, 1980-81, and my siblings and I used to ride MX and trials motos out there. My dad had a Bultaco Sherpa T that my sister liked to ride. She could drive that bike up walls. Carlsbad PD didn't care at that time.

I do. Climb it every day. Can break 50mph on the descent.

That bike, loaded, weighs 50lbs. I'm also pretty large.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012

Quick ride for lunch ...

Note the left turn at 4:50 :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012

My ride to work.

I'm going to re-film my commute, I'll post it up later tonight after work. I'll make sure to not screw up the video speed this time.

It's an unlisted link, but here's the new commute video. I set the camera on a 5 second delay, then edited them down to about half a second or so per picture.. Here's the final product.
    Re-recorded my commute again, both ways this time. It's rendering now. I'll have it up shortly. Works slow since the schools are out, So I did this to entertain me mostly.

Fin. The video is set to the Swiss metal band Eluveitie. One of my favorites.
    I re-filmed the commute, using actual video this time.

The song is by Gogol Bordello; 60 Revolutions.
    Good song choice
    I've been wanting to experiment with using two camera's for my videos, I've been debating for a while to get a 2nd. I'll be getting the 1080p GoPro from last year later today. It's an improvement over my 960(same year.) I just can't swallow the $300 for the latest and greatest. Either way, Filming my rides is still pretty new to me. I delete probably 95% of anything I film. We'll see where this goes. And my apologies for being the only one posting videos lately. I'd love to see some others. It does not have to be strictly commuting. Film your weekend rides, or just cruising to the market, Just get on your bike and ride and film whatever piques your interest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2012

I have been recording my commute every day but I usually delete when the chip is full. Only keep the couple of segments for the "wall of shame" that I hope to set up in the future where I plan to exhibit all the boneheaded moves I see every day. It will include cars, pedestrians and cyclists. And if that dog in Del Mar pulls the same stunt again it did last week, it'll go on there as well.

What editing software do y'all use?
    @batmick I use Cyberlink's Power Director 10. I probably only use 5% of what the program can do, but I think it's awesome. It's pretty simple to learn how to use it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2013

From earlier this month when I went riding with a few gal friends in La Mesa - Santee area.

This is the route. Apologies for shakiness. I use handheld camera to film and most of the time I'm not looking through the camera (gotta keep my eyes on the road sort of thing). :o)
    This was produced by Leylla Badeanbou, an everday cyclists and BikeSD member:

Sorry. Here it is:

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2013 edited

Serge posted my video of my crash from last Tuesday night.

I pointed my Niterider Lumina 700 right at her window and I was so close that it seemed impossible that she could not see me.

She stopped and then started to edge into the road but I see a lot of drivers do this and stop. She didn't. She punched it.

My GPS says I was going 19.2 mph before the crash.

I'm pretty sure that if I had been in the middle of the travel lane I could have avoided this. I would have been far enough over to swerve enough to avoid it. She also might have been more likely to notice me. I suspect she glanced at the travel lane but not as far as the bike lane. I also suspect but cannot prove that she was on the phone. She insisted that she didn't see me. That seems virtually impossible unless she wasn't looking.

No major injuries. Minor scrapes and bruises and muscle strains.

Frame and front wheel have to be replaced. In the shop now. Giant has a discount for crash replacement which is almost 50% off.

I still don't have the insurance information from the cop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2013

Glad to know you're (relatively) okay! Amazing how drivers can sometimes look right at us without seeing us. :o( I usually have my Mako 200 on blink instead of steady light to better catch drivers' eyes, but then it's hard to see the road surface condition with that sort of light setting, of course. :oP Speedy healing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2013

Damn, Bill, that was one hell of a hit. Glad no major injury. Given the tinted windows, its tough (impossible?) to see the driver inside, so you'll probably have a difficult time proving where she was looking or what she was doing prior to pulling out. Given the movement of the car, she likely glanced left well before the roadway and thought 'clear', then stared right looking for a break to cross the road, and never looked back left.

Because you were part of the incident, you should have access to the police accident report for free. Just request the report from the front desk, and all the info (including insurance) should be recorded there. I'm presuming a week is more than enough time for him to file his initial and the admin to enter it.

Smorg, one of the features touted on the newer Cygolite Metro series is SteadyPulse. It has a flasher and a steady light going at the same time. Neat idea.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2013

Jeez, that's scary. Glad to hear you're mostly OK. When I was riding in twilight I was using flash with one light, but since daylight savings ended I've been running both lights (handlebar and helmet) steady stream. I think I'll go back to flashing the handlebar light during the traffic-y parts of my ride.
    Glad you are okay Bill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2015

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2015

NCTD Response to my complaint (including the video): "Thank you for contacting North County Transit District (NCTD) to share your concern regarding your report of a coach operator on BREEZE Route 101 who passed you on your bicycle in a dangerous manner.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. NCTD staff requested that our bus contractor, First Transit, perform a full investigation into your report, including a video review. The investigation determined that the coach operator did not exercise proper judgment when attempting to pass you and reach the desired bus stop. First Transit has taken the necessary corrective actions with the coach operator and supervisors will monitor future performance in this area.

Thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me at ..."
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2015

I've been experimenting with Hyperlapse, a time lapse app owned by Instagram. The app stabilizes the photo stream (in case your camera is not stationary), and allows you to set the playback speed to between 1X and 12X the original. Hyperlapse is available for iOs devices from the App Store (free).

Here are two clips I made today - one on my way to work (6X), the other one on the way home (2X):

• CommentAuthormfutch

Nice vids! How did you mount your phone?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Nite Ize HandleBand - works like a charm, with some recycled inner tube around the bar to tighten it all up:

I place my phone on the front edge of the handlebar, not behind it as it is done in the above picture. The hardest part is to find an area of your handlebars that is free of obstructions such has other mounts, cable housing, shifters, bags, etc - I made a lot of mistakes before I got a video that was presentable. :)
    Low tech GoPro! Good fun with little expense :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2015

Besides, I'm always carrying my phone anyways.
    That was a fun attempt last night. We should try the coast walk trail so scenic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2015

This is probably of very little interest for others than me, but for the record and for those considering time lapse videography - here is my dog run with this bike from this morning using the Hyperlapse app on a 6X setting:

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2015 edited

Salmon tries to go up a driveway to get onto the sidewalk. He hits it at too steep an angle and the little lip on the driveway for the gutter is enough to take him down:

This was on San Diego Ave. between Washington and McKee.

I stopped and talked to him. He was OK. I recommended the free safety class in Oceanside. I gave him advice on a few things including an alternate route (Kettner) that doesn't require him to salmon. Hopefully he'll take the advice and the class.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2016

Last week a cop told me to use the bike lane and of course, there was no bike lane there. There was BMUFL sign (which I pointed to) and sharrows. He still didn't get it.

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2016