Not signed in (Sign In)
    My wife and I's bikes were both stolen from where they were locked in front of Aqua Adventures Kayak Center last night in Quivera Basin. This is our primary transportation, other than walking and riding the bus. They are special to us and I can only hope that we get them back. We are offering a $200 reward for tips that lead to the recovery of the bicycles. Please keep your eyes open on craigslist and around town.

My wifes bike is a white ladies "soma, buena vista" mixte, with-out decals, a Soma sun emblem on the head tube, nitto drop bars, teal VO fenders, a brown brooks leather saddle, front and rear nitto racks, Velocity rims, Ruffy Tuffies tires, Tektro brakes, Shimano Dyno Hub, Busch Muller lights, a handmade copper bike bell with an owl etching, and a Virginia vanity plate that says “Andrea."

My bike is a utility blue "Surly, Long Haul Trucker" with-out decals nitto mustache bars, black planet bike fenders, black sprung Brooks saddle, Shimano Dyno Hub, Continental Contact Tires, Tekro brakes, Rear black Tubus Rack, Crane Bell, and a Virginia vanity plate that says “Aaron.”

bike2

bike
    That's awful. Sorry to hear that. I'll keep an eye out on CL
    Sons of bitches. Clear eyes, full hearts. CCT
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011

Bike thieves are just barely higher in the strata of the scum than child molesters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

There's a trick you can use to search ALL the CraigsList sites at once.

In Google:

Surly site:CraigsList.org

Use whatever string (instead of Surly) you think would ID these bikes.

Often with good bikes, thieves will sell then out of state.

But odds are this is some local drug addict looking for quick cash.
    • CommentAuthormfutch

condolences, i know the anguish. this searches all of craiglist and ebay: http://bike.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/bike.cgi
    thanks for the suggestions. I was able to file a police report today. Of course if you see our bikes just call 911, but tips can be passed on to me or to a SD Detective at (540) 744-9500. I have hope that I will get them back.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011

That's terrible man. So sorry. Mind if I ask how they were locked up?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011

:face-crying: my eyes are peeled... sounds lke you have a lot of love for those bikes, i really hope you get them back!
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2011

From a fellow cyclist, Kevin. Kevin spotted Aaron's bike earlier this afternoon on a trolley. Aaron's handlebar's has been swapped with Andrea's. See below for full writeup by Kevin (the person in the photo below isn't necessarily be the bike thief, but the SDPD would like to talk to him. As with Mike's Rivendell that was stolen and recovered a few years ago, the new owner may have unknowingly purchased it without realizing it was stolen. So please do not do anything rash if you see him).

Aaron Garland’s bike stolen two weeks ago was spotted on a trolley this afternoon. It had been modified but was still identifiable. The police were helpful, but were unable to apprehend the suspect. Picture of the suspect attached.

Today, around 3:20 I was walking my bike through the America Plaza trolley station to get to the Amtrak station to buy some tickets. I saw a guy riding his bike on through the station to get to the trolley. My first instinct was to yell at the guy for riding ‘his’ bike on the sidewalk, but when I saw he was getting on the trolley, I didn’t say anything. As I am apt to do I checked out the bike as he was loading it on to the train. It was a touring frame with canti breaks and drop handlebars. When I saw the black brooks saddle secured to the frame with a piece of chain wraped in an old tube, I realized it was Aaron’s bike without racks or fenders and with the handlebars from his wife’s stolen bike. For some reason my first instinct was to whip out my phone and take a picture. The trolley doors quickly shut and I ran across to the Santa Fe depot to see if there was a security guard I could tell. I didn’t see anyone, and called Aaron, who told me to call the police. The 911 operator I reached from my cell phone had to transfer me to SDPD, who took my description of the situation before calling a trolley security dispatcher who took my description of the suspect and the bike and identified what trolley the suspect was on. The asked if the bike had special parts that made it identifiable and asked if we had the serial number for the frame The SDPD guy was able to pull the police report from Aaron’s bike theft and give the info to the Trolley dispatcher.

Although security at old town was alerted the suspect did not detrain there. I would guess he got off at Washington St, or perhaps Middletown, since it is unlikely to would take a trolley from America Plaza 8 blocks to Little Italy.

Take aways:

*Call the police first: I’m not sure if it would have made any difference, but in the two minutes I that it took to run to the next station and to call Aaron, the police could have been more mobilized.

* Get a police report if your bike is stolen. The police made it sound like they wouldn’t have pursued the guy if there wasn’t a report out on the bike theft. I have dealt with the LAPD on bike theft and they basically told me they wouldn’t pursue a bike thief unless I was physically assaulted and had the bike taken from me. They also made me feel like I was wasting their time by filling out a report. SDPD seems a little more responsive

*Make sure you know your serial number: The police also made it sound like a serial number would be needed to make a positive identification of the bike since parts had been changed. Take five now to turn your bike upside down and write it down.

*Parts may be swapped out, but your bike may not go far. The bikes were stolen in Mission Bay. The suspect was riding the bike around downtown and taking the trolley back towards Old Town. There is a decent chance that the person riding it is not the person who stole it, but it does mean that whoever stole and modified it resells/fences the bikes locally.

I know Aaron and Andrea would be appreciative if you kept your eyes out for this bike and or the supect. Perhaps we should look for it locked up downtown if the suspect is a frequent vistor. The suspect is a white male, mid 30's thin build. a discrption of the bikes can be seen here, but note that the LHT now has drop handlebars with celeste tape.

http://www.bikesd.org/2011/07/two-bicycles-stolen/

And remember to keep your bikes locked up to something solid with U lock.

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2011 edited

In addition to recording the serial # somewhere I can't lose it (I use gmail docs) I also take a macro-mode close-up picture of the serial for safekeeping: As they say, a picture is worth...well, you get the idea.
    • CommentAuthorrogerles
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2011 edited

since you guys are good at spotting bikes, mine was stolen from logan heights area, while on the bike rack of my car...

my bike is the blue one with aero bars on left

blue one with aero bars on left...

im not sad the bike is stolen so much, more so they cut the straps on my bike rack! this is my commuter bike not race bike, thus why not so mad..