Not signed in (Sign In)
    So as some of you guys know I'm new to San Diego and people keep asking me if I've ridden the velodrome yet which I keep replying no. This is the first time I live close to one and I'd love to give it a shot. I was told Tuesdays are open to kids like me that don't know what they are doing. I'm sure I can look up the days to go but the reason for the post is... Any pointers for someone that has never ridden?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011 edited

I've never done/seen the Tuesday Velo Youth stuff to be able to comment but here's the link to the SD Velodrome Association junior classes and schedule. Beginner Junior Classes appear to be on Mondays and intermediate on Thursdays. From my experience everybody at the track is very welcoming. Just go down and check it out...

http://sdvelodrome.com/classes/junior-classes/
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011

If you are under 18 then the Monday class is where you'll start. It's free as part of the outreach program required by the city's lease to SDVA. Once over 18 you'll want to contact Pam Jorgensen-Houle and take the Monday evening adult class. It's $120 for six weeks of instruction. Just show up on the first evening of a six week program and Pam will sign you up. You won't need a track bike at this stage; a properly fitted bike will be provided for you to use. Once you complete Level 1, you will advance to Level 2. The VeloYouth program is for younger children from economically depressed neighborhoods, also part of the required outreach program and probably not your cup of tea. If you find out you enjoy track racing and decide you'd like to advance in competition, then you should plan on contacting John Ledford at
    [[_linker_]]
    John trains riders on Sunday mornings. Eddie B is another Level 1 coach you might consider working with. He trains riders on Saturdays at noon at the track:
    [[_linker_]]
    Both John and Eddie have coached national and world champions to victory. Their services are not cheap, but their palmarès speak for themselves. In the meantime, you can come down to the track on Saturday mornings and ride during the hours the track is open to the public. You can ride any type of bicycle (road bikes are more practical for track riding than wide-tire MTBs). You will be required to wear a helmet and must sign a liability waiver. If you are under 18 a parent or other responsible adult must be present to sign the waiver. I usually get down there about 10 am, but there is usually someone there to open up earlier. You will be shown the basics of track cycling and the arcane track markings will be explained to you. Eddie B starts at noon and you can get an idea of what expert coaching of competitive riders looks like. We will finally be offering USA Cycling sanctioned racing to provide opportunities to upgrade for riders serious about advancing in competition. These races will be on Saturday afternoons August 6, August 20, and September 3. You might want to consider coming down to watch how sanctioned competition works. Play racing on Tuesday nights is for fun and is run more casually than the real thing with no officials or qualified judges. Results do not qualify riders for upgrade points since there are no officials present to observe.
    Thanks for all the info. I may have to swing by Saturday morning and see what's going on and get a feel for it. I ride a track bike already so the bike thing isn't an issue. Maybe I'll come out and try to roll around and if I enjoy it after a few times it looks like those classes are a pretty good idea.

I suppose my use of "kids like me" may be misleading since I'm 24 I mainly using that since I'm another early 20's on a track bike that wouldn't know what I was doing on the track and possibly annoying the dudes actually good at it.

But this thread should be good for anyone looking for info. Thanks again guys, I may be seeing some of you this Saturday.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011

Anyone who is annoyed by a new track rider is too much of a snob to take seriously anyway. It's our duty to grow the sport and that means encouraging young riders to participate. I think you'll find that most of us down there share the sentiment.

You are ready for Pam's Monday evening Level 1 class! $120 gets you six weeks of expert coaching, a deal when you figure that a qualified coach will cost about $300 a month for weekly workouts and direction. I recommend taking the Level 1 class and then you can take the Level 2 class multiple times.

I look forward to meeting you on Saturday! If I'm not there by 10 or so there should be someone there earlier to open up.

I stopped using my real name on the internet about a year ago when I came under attack by a 35 year old cyberbully. My wife and I have matching black Colnago Master Pista singles and a red John R. Waite tandem pista. We shouldn't be hard to find!
    Awesome, ill be on a white motobecane team track with a woodgrain deep v on the back if anybody wants to say hello.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2011

First thing you'll need to do is fill out a liability waiver. Then after we fill you in on the basics, you're off! Sounds like you already have an appropriate bike! ¡Hasta mañana!
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2011

Fun track day today with PacMUle and sykkelspruce. Next Saturday is sanctioned racing starting at noon. Come down the following Saturday morning and ride for free.
    Hey, wpstoll & Pacmule thanks for the warm welcome at the velodrome it was really cool meeting you guys. I'm hoping to make it down again soon so we can do it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011

for sure! & thanks for pointing out that new bike shop!... i am pretty oblivious and doubt i would have seen it if you hadn't pointed it out. catch ya next time... glad your enjoying the city!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2012

How would you like to discover THIS in your neighborhood park?

These girls (Ciera, China, and Jenia) don't really know how fortunate they are. Until today, they never rode on the track. It was just something abandoned from long ago that is hidden away in the neighborhood park until today when they saw me taking laps. Ciera ran up to me and asked if she could take my bike around. After a little bit, she decided my bike was a bit tall, but China had already jumped on her bike for her maiden lap around the track. Not to be outdone, Jenia challenged me to a race. It felt good to give them the little boost to venture on to the track. Who knows where it could end. With unlimited access to a secluded velodrome, I hope to hear of them getting into competition, and maybe even trying out for the Olympiad in the future. For more information on the interesting history of this track, search for Dorias Park Velodrome, Detroit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

^^WOW! that is so awesome! when were you in motor city?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

Today.
    Compare the 27 degrees of our velodrome to Bloomer Park's 44. The speed I had to maintain in order to stick to the track was crazy. 1" plywood on steel trusses, built by volunteers. The Paris of the Midwest is a bicycling mecca. The Motor City loves bikes.

Bloomer Park... Rochester Hills, MI
    Big difference by the looks of it. That's awesome volunteers built it.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2012 edited

HMeins:You are ready for Pam's Monday evening Level 1 class! $120 gets you six weeks of expert coaching, a deal when you figure that a qualified coach will cost about $300 a month for weekly workouts and direction. I recommend taking the Level 1 class and then you can take the Level 2 class multiple times
    Sykkel, There are several of us taking the level 1 & 2 classes on Monday nights (Wednesday night is also an option but go with Pam on Mondays if you can) I highly recommend it also. It's a blast and you learn a lot. Bonus, since you're under 26 you qualify for the discounted student rate so it's even cheaper for you. Only $60. Hope to see you out at the next round of classes! You can use your own track bike but I STRONGLY suggest using one of the free loaner bikes. You may ride fine but there are a lot of newbies out there and you don't want to risk damaging your own bike if something were to happen.
    Somebody told me about the discount but I didn't see it anywhere on the site recently. I was planning on taking the class recently but wasn't sure about missing classes due to interbike. I'll have to look into it again and see when the next sign up is
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2012

SIgn up is going on now and filling up pretty quick for classes starting Sept 24th. You can register directly with Pam and save the active service fees. I should have thought to say something to you sooner and I could have talked to her tonight and maybe have squared it away for ya.
    Thanks man, I'll try to jump on that soon.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2012

SDVA memberships typically expire at the end of the year. BUT if you activate your membership now your membership won't expire until 12/2013. So basically 3 months for free. You can register from their website using the link on the left menu bar.