Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2011

Sam:From another thread....(Where did you ride today?)

My favorite way to head down from Mission Hills to Old Town is via Pringle, I've ridden down Washington twice which was one time too many. So once I was down in Old Town I did find my way to Noelle and then the Frontage road.

I used Pringle only once and that was in the uphill direction, but I can see it as an attractive way down. I almost always go up to Lewis and Fort Stockton to go through Mission Hills because it has some of the best historic residential architecture in the region. For the decent into Old Town, I use Presidio Dr, Cosoy Way and Mason St to Juan St..
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2011

Wasn't there some talk about putting up a stop sign on Barnett where it meets Pac Hwy?
    • CommentAuthorFitz
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2011

What would be the most pleasant way to get from PB to Julian? I'm thinking of taking a big ride one day from home to Julian, eating some pie, and having my wife drive out there to meet me and drive us back home.

From maps online I'm thinking I'd leave Crown Point, go south and hop onto Old Sea World Drive, then take Friars east to Mission Gorge Road, then continue on Woodside (in Santee). Then right onto Maine/Los Coches Road, and a left onto Old I-8 (Business) to head east onto Alpine Blvd. Then I'd hop onto the shoulder of the 8 east until heading north on 79 all the way to Julian.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2011 edited

Fitz:What would be the most pleasant way to get from PB to Julian?
    There are many ways, but if you are looking for a pleasant - as opposed to the more direct or faster - route, combine this route to get from North Park to Alpine, and then continue on Hwy 80 until Descanso. From there you can ride Boulder Creek (more pleasant!) or just do Hwy 79 (faster but much more traffic).

This route will take you on the shoulder of I-8 for a little while just before you get to the Descanso/79 exit. You can avoid the freeway altogether by riding Viejas Grade to Descanso.

Personally, I would do the route linked to above, then take I-8 Bus/ I-80, then go up Viejas Grade, and then Boulder Creek to Julian - mainly, because I prefer the quiet and virtually car-free dirt toads in East County. But it may be impossible to complete it in one day - unless you get up real early and ride real fast. The route you propose (hwy 80=> hwy 79) is a lot faster than the one I prescribe.

I assume you already know a pleasant route from PB to North Park, but Old Town - Mission Hills - Hillcrest are likely part of that route. I prefer that to Mission Valley.
    • CommentAuthorFitz
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2011

Thanks a lot Sigurd.

Some quick work on MapMyRide shows that for the Descanso to Julian stretch:
    Option A is Boulder Creek at ~28 miles and ~3200 ft elevation gain with some nice descents mixed in, dirt roads
    Option B is Hwy 79 at ~22 miles and ~1650 ft elevation gain with steady climbing for the first 10 miles and then flat/gradual descent to Julian and a fair number of cars

Option A would take significantly longer you think? Combination of the higher climbing number and fact that I'll be on dirt vs. pavement? My bike (Salsa Vaya) seems sort of built for Option A...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2011 edited

Fitz:Option A would take significantly longer you think?
    To make a rough and subjective estimate, I would say the Boulder Cr. would take twice as long (due to difference in distance, surface material, and elev.) than 79: For myself, 4 hrs vs. 2 hrs. would probably be ballpark estimates.

However, I would take Boulder Crk. every time, as it it one of the prettiest rides imaginable anywhere in SD County. And climbing 79, on a twisty road with no or little shoulder, and potentially quite a bit of high-speed traffic (cars and motorcycles), is not my idea of a good time, especially on a weekend during apple "season". Others' opinions are likely to be different, though, as there are plenty of cyclists choosing to ride 79 - better descending it than ascending it, IMO. But if you have the tires and time for it, do Boulder Creek!

Please note that Boulder Creek has NO services - no stores, no water (except for the creek in emergency), virtually no houses and very few cars, and -- gasp! -- no cell phone service for long stretches: You only have yourself and your bike to rely on in there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011

What's the best way to get from Santa Fe station to the start of "Tour De Fat" in Golden Hill Park? Just take Broadway to 25th?

Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213724549717257231615.0004ab5614fd740ad533d&msa=0&ll=32.72323,-117.137003&spn=0.015308,0.030813
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff

No. Broadway is poor road surfaces, the lights trap bikes because of bad timing, and the traffic conditions are not ideal. I generally zig-zag my way east, but A St. to the hill at 6th; turn right, then left onto C St. to 16th St.; and finally to Broadway (the stoplights end at 16th). There's no way around the final hill up Broadway to 25th.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011 edited

C-Street doesn't look bad all the way to 25th. B-Street looks like big-climbing-fun.

A to 6th Ave to C... ok
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff

C St. isn't through all the way. In some spots, it's trolley only (although if you're a sidewalk rider, you can get through easy), forcing you to make a turn towards Broadway. B St is one way against you. A St. is a hill, but it's not unmanageable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Yeah, you have to get to C where there is a lane for traffic, which looks like 6th Ave (Google Street View).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

bikingbill:What's the best way to get from Santa Fe station to the start of "Tour De Fat" in Golden Hill Park?
    Unless I was in a big hurry, this would more or less be my route.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2011

Sigurd:
    bikingbill:What's the best way to get from Santa Fe station to the start of "Tour De Fat" in Golden Hill Park?
    Unless I was in a big hurry, this would more or less be my route.

Nice route. More pleasant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2011

Looking for recommendations through Point Loma up towards Cabrillo Monument. I've ridden a few different routes up that way, and I'm sure there are other suggestions. This one would be for commute purposes, and actually end at the 3rd Fleet complex before you get to the monument. I'd be starting at the Old Town Trolley stop. I'm not looking for exercise, since I'm going to a meeting, so shallow grades/less sweat seem preferable. Thanks!

-Geoff
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2011 edited

mileco:Looking for recommendations through Point Loma up towards Cabrillo Monument.
    Lots of ways, of course -- but for a commute, I would do:

Harbor to Scott (or Locust) to Canon to Catalina.

Option: Instead of Catalina, travel one of the roads parallel to it - e.g., Catalina frontage road to the west, Tarento or Silvergate.

Addendum/correction: Just realized you said from Old Town: No really pleasant ways to get from OT to Point Loma - I would not want to ride Rosecrans day in and day out: If you could figure out a way to get to Barnett west, you could do:

OT to Barnett to Lytton/Chatsworth to Catalina. Or take the river MUP to OB and then get to Catalina on any of the east west streets in OB, such as Voltaire. Neither of these "workarounds" would be a straight shot though - the only straight shot is Rosecrans (shudder!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2011

Yeah, same conclusion I was coming to. Is Catalina better than Chatsworth? Both look like narrow lane with cars parked on the side. Any issues with aggressive drivers heading up?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2011

Neither Chatsworth nor Catalina are notably unpleasant - not nearly as bad as Rosecrans or even Nimitz, anyways. You can also easily get around Catalina by using one of the parallel side streets, if you want to.
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2011

From Old Town, cross under I-5, then turn right on Hancock. You will go behind the Sports Arena and come out on Sports Arena Blvd. Not at all scenic, but direct and low traffic. To stay away from steep grades, right on Sports Arena, then continue on W. Point Loma to Nimitz, then either Nimitz to Catalina or cross Nimitz and make a left on Ebers to Voltaire, then left to Catalina. No getting around the fact that you will gain altitude on the way.
    I'm looking to start riding to work, I live in Clairemont, and work a little north of sorrento valley, I have been looking at going up gennessee up to the 5 and then up vista sorrento parkway. I'm a little leary of riding gennessee, not because of the hills but the traffic. Any alternatives? I really can't figure out any other routes that would make sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2011

djexplosive:I'm looking to start riding to work, I live in Clairemont, and work a little north of sorrento valley
    Hey DJ, give us a little more detail on your to/from locations (some cross streets, or other descriptive location with some detail) - Clairemont is a pretty big swath of land, and so is SV...maybe we can come up with some decent routes.

I would tend to agree - Genesee isn't my favorite road either!

And first and foremost; welcome here!
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2011

What part of Clairemont?

If you're anywhere near Balboa you could take that down to Santa Fe St (just barely east of I-5). Santa Fe St ends for cars but leads to a bike path which gets you to Gilman/La Jolla Colony. Getting back is a little tricky. My favorite way back is to take Santa Fe St back to Balboa and go up the "sidewalk" (I use that term loosely here) to the clover leaf ramp onto South bound Morena which I use to cross Balboa, making the left turn on the other side to get back onto East bound Balboa. The other way back is to turn from Santa Fe onto Damon and then Mission Bay Drive to Balboa but then you have to ride in a narrow right lane with no bike lane and cross some weird ramps at Morena.
    sorry, such great prompt responses!

I would be coming from Mt.Abernathy and Balboa up to 10945 Vista Sorrento Pkwy, San Diego. I've tried to map it using google maps, I hope I'm not missing a nice bike path or something that I could use instead.

I will be using a road bike. Hoping to drop some pounds and go green! So far, I absolutely love my road bike :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

well... not many ways to get there and avoid all of genesee... there is this way which would be nice, but a lil hilly and a short time on genesee http://g.co/maps/ep8x9 or this way http://g.co/maps/9gztm which is a bit longer, but much flatter... there are probably a ton of ways to do it, but those would be my options... i really hate genesee too! hope that helps
    I REALLY like the first one! I'm going to try that one ASAP, thanks a ton! WOOHOO, I was really dreading Gennessee the whole way
    anyone have an android phone and know how to load a route on it so you can use gps? :face-crying:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Too bad you have to lose all that nice elevation only to have to regain it up Gilman: But this route is a good one and the one I would probably choose.

You can convert a Google Maps route to a GPX file using a site called GMapsToGPX. I am not familiar with droids, but once in GPX format, uploading the file to your handset ought to be trivial.
    • CommentAuthorShady John

I personally think that the interchange at Balboa and Morena is one of the scariest stretches of road that I've ever encountered on a bike. Genessee is not great either, but I would go Genessee northbound to the 5 myself. The only part that really sucks is getting past the 52 on/off-ramps, but at least everyone can see better than at the Balboa/Morena interchange. It looks as if you could take Chateau for part of the way instead of Genessee. If you get a cyclocross or mountain bike, there are some other options that would take longer but might be more fun.
    ShadyGaga:I personally think that the interchange at Balboa and Morena is one of the scariest stretches of road that I've ever encountered on a bike.

OK, that was a bit too dramatic. I rode that stretch today and it wasn't THAT bad, but I still don't like it. On a related note, earlier I rode westbound through Mission Valley. I ended up on Hazard Center drive, but then the paved road ended. Is there a proper way to get through there to the Fashion Valley mall parking lot? I ended up riding a trail on the river bank, then rode under the freeway in the flood plain. Miraculously, I didn't run into any homeless guys under the bridge, and I didn't get jacked, but it felt like about a 50/50 proposition. Reminded me of the scene in the original Dirty Harry in the trolley tunnel...
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011

I've been riding north on Morena in the mornings then taking the cloverleaf down to westbound Balboa and turning right on Santa Fe, all in total darkness. The only conflict I've had here was last Tuesday when another brightly lit commuter cyclist descending Balboa started braking to give me his right of way as I was preparing to enter Balboa from the on ramp. I braked and waved him on. Good thing, because he was lighter and faster than I was northbound on Santa Fe and I'm sure it would have been annoying to follow me in the dark with my blinding taillights and flashers.

Coming home I used to take the Rose Creek Bike Path until bridge trolls set up a makeshift barricade of branches dragged up from the creek and a beat cruiser bike parked sideways across the path under Garnet/Balboa. They tried to stop me and emerged from the shadows under the bridge when I slowed. I clicked up two gears, got out of the saddle and knocked the bike over with my left hand, breaking through the barricade. The camp just keeps growing. There are lunatics with glazed eyes wandering around like zombies and apparently some who plan on preying on passers by. Trash is everywhere and the place is redolent of urine and human waste. I e-mailed District 2 about it after the incident and the response suggested that SDPD wants to keep them there. I recommend taking East Mission Bay Drive south to Mission Bay for the time being, especially for the ladies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011

ShadyGaga:... I ended up on Hazard Center drive, but then the paved road ended. Is there a proper way to get through there to the Fashion Valley mall parking lot?
    I believe this is the recommended bike route if you want to go "separated".
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011 edited

wpstoll:Coming home I used to take the Rose Creek Bike Path until bridge trolls set up a makeshift barricade of branches dragged up from the creek and a beat cruiser bike parked sideways across the path under Garnet/Balboa. They tried to stop me and emerged from the shadows under the bridge when I slowed. I clicked up two gears, got out of the saddle and knocked the bike over with my left hand, breaking through the barricade. The camp just keeps growing. There are lunatics with glazed eyes wandering around like zombies and apparently some who plan on preying on passers by. Trash is everywhere and the place is redolent of urine and human waste. I e-mailed District 2 about it after the incident and the response suggested that SDPD wants to keep them there. I recommend taking East Mission Bay Drive south to Mission Bay for the time being, especially for the ladies.
    The police are apparently not interested in enforcing the law. CVC 21211 prohibits blocking a class I bikeway.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21211.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011 edited

That is why the problem on the Rose Creek bike path continues to spiral out of control. Strong arm robbery is also against the law. Using the off ramp from the OB bike path to gain northbound Morena I had to thread my way between bums sleeping in the middle of the path. When I yelled at them to get out of the way they told me to f*** off. Apparently they understand the police will not do anything about it, so they are becoming bolder.

The comments by the District 2 staffer that SDPD are working with homeless outreach agencies to "address the problem" indicates to me that this is where the city wants to keep the mentally ill homeless population, out of sight of most of the citizens, who cares if it endangers and inconveniences a small percentage of the people (bicycle commuters, joggers, legitimate path users)? The majority still drive alone in cars and will never encounter illegal campers on their commutes. But if they try to camp out at City Hall? Riot police with truncheons and tear gas respond. It's all about the location, not about the statute. Out of sight, out of mind. It is a dangerous double standard.
    Anyone know the best bike route to get to paradise hills from eastlake? Just moved from San Francisco, and SD is so spread out....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011 edited

crowbonehuyana:Anyone know the best bike route to get to paradise hills from eastlake?
    When I am unfamiliar with the areas I need to ride in (as I am in your case!), I have found Google Cycling Directions to be invaluable: Although Google's directions may or may not be 100% perfect - which is pretty subjective anyways - every time, I invariably find that their routes are very intelligent and acceptable.

So, according to Google with some mods - Paradise Hills => Eastlake. (Route details will change depending upon your exact start and finish locations - drag and drop the "drops" on the map to create a custom suggested route based on your exact details). I suspect that through rubber on the ground trial and error (and perhaps some Street View) you will be able to refine the route further to your preferences - but Google should get you off to a good start!

Most importantly - welcome to SDBikeComm!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSariously
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011

Sigurd:
    crowbonehuyana:Anyone know the best bike route to get to paradise hills from eastlake?
    When I am unfamiliar with the areas I need to ride in (as I am in your case!), I have found Google Cycling Directions to be invaluable: Although Google's directions may or may not be 100% perfect - which is pretty subjective anyways - every time, I invariably find that their routes are very intelligent and acceptable.

I have to second that. The biking directions on Google Maps are quite good, though, with enough exploration, you can usually refine their suggested route to one that you will find subjectively better. I use their bike directions on my phone all the time and I haven't perished yet. So, there you have it.
    Sigurd:
    AlanKHG:I live in La Jolla on Westbourne St.
    ... That "secret" bridge over I-5 (Voigt St) inside UCSD is a good bet. Once you hit Genessee, you can go west and hit I-5 (as you have done) to Sorrento Valley - fast, actionpacked and fun! Or you can go east on Genessee, left on Eastgate Mall (or you can go through the hospitals to connect Voigt and Eastgate without ever being on Genessee here), and then drop down past the barrier on fire access road that connects Eastgate Mall and Roselle St (also an absolute blast!) here.

And welcome to San Diego!

Brand new here, beginner rider on an older road bike. Asking for clarification on biking between UTC and Sorrento Valley. Sigurd, would you mind describing more how Voigt connects to Roselle via Eastgate Mall? Once I'm on Eastgate Mall, do I turn left onto Town Center Dr? That street dead ends into a parking lot/dirt road area where it appears to connect to Roselle St. by a dirt path. Is that what you're referring to? Is that dirt path safe? Thanks for the help!
    Hi Everyone! Greatly appreciate all the info here for us beginners.

Sorrento Valley (Lusk & Wateridge) <--> Sharp Memorial Hospital (KM)

What are your suggestions? I was thinking Mira Mesa Blvd --> Miramar Rd --> Kearny Villa Rd which goes directly to Sharp. (The long way) Or Sigurd's Roselle St. connection to Eastgate Mall, then Genessee all the way south to Sharp. (The hilly way) Is there a better way? Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012 edited

deprotinator:Brand new here, beginner rider on an older road bike. Asking for clarification on biking between UTC and Sorrento Valley. Sigurd, would you mind describing more how Voigt connects to Roselle via Eastgate Mall?
    I refer to the utility dirt road here (red line optional I-5 route). This is a decent road if you have decent tires (28mm slicks should suffice) - some of it is hardpack, some of it is loose, ruts in places. There is one section where you are crossing a little creek, but this is no big deal except for right after rain.

I am not that familiar with the rest of your commute so I will leave that to somebody else (PacMule or sd_mike, perhaps?).

Most importantly, welcome here!
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012 edited

deprotinator:Brand new here, beginner rider on an older road bike. Asking for clarification on biking between UTC and Sorrento Valley. Sigurd, would you mind describing more how Voigt connects to Roselle via Eastgate Mall? Once I'm on Eastgate Mall, do I turn left onto Town Center Dr? That street dead ends into a parking lot/dirt road area where it appears to connect to Roselle St. by a dirt path. Is that what you're referring to? Is that dirt path safe? Thanks for the help!
    I wouldn't go that way on a road bike. Even on an MTB it can be a bit iffy finding a safe way down. There are some scary descents. If you had an MTB and wanted to go down, there is a dirt path off of Eastgate Mall just a little East of Genesee. That's the one that Sigurd is referring to. Click his link labelled "here" and it will show you exactly where it is on the map. It's much gentler and safer than the paths off Town Centre.

There really aren't any good regular road paths between that mesa and Sorrento Valley, which is why I-5 is open to bikes between Genesee and Roselle.
    billd:
    deprotinator:...Asking for clarification on biking between UTC and Sorrento Valley...
    I wouldn't go that way on a road bike. Even on an MTB it can be a bit iffy finding a safe way down. There are some scary descents. If you had an MTB and wanted to go down, there is a dirt path off of Eastgate Mall just a little East of Genesee. That's the one that Sigurd is referring to. Click his link labelled "here" and it will show you exactly where it is on the map. It's much gentler and safer than the paths of Town Centre.

There really aren't any good regular road paths between that mesa and Sorrento Valley, which is why I-5 is open to bikes between Genesee and Roselle.

Thanks for the help guys. I was just really trying to avoid the Genessee <--> I-5 ramps. I drive thru that area twice a day and it looks kind of unsafe to me. In the morning, the 5-South traffic will squeeze into the far right lane trying to exit Genessee while the Sorrento Valley people try to merge onto 5-South using the same lane. A lot of cutting and swerving going on. At night, the Genessee traffic will merge into that 5-North on-ramp from two directions, squeeze down to one lane, then get on the 5. At the same time the 5-North people try to get into the far right lane to hit the Camel Mountain bypass. I've seen a few close calls there too where none of the cars will play nice and actually slow down resulting in a lot of swerving and cutting, again. Call me a wuss, but I think I can only risk going thru this spot on weekend fun rides when there's no traffic. I will try that dirt path east of Genessee though. That looks doable. Thanks again for the pointers!
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012

It's really not that bad. Try it on your weekend rides to get a feel for it. I almost prefer it with heavy traffic because the cars are going slower.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012 edited

Sigurd:
    deprotinator:Brand new here, beginner rider on an older road bike. Asking for clarification on biking between UTC and Sorrento Valley. Sigurd, would you mind describing more how Voigt connects to Roselle via Eastgate Mall?
    I refer to the utility dirt road here (red line optional I-5 route). This is a decent road if you have decent tires (28mm slicks should suffice) - some of it is hardpack, some of it is loose, ruts in places. There is one section where you are crossing a little creek, but this is no big deal except for right after rain.

I am not that familiar with the rest of your commute so I will leave that to somebody else (PacMule or sd_mike, perhaps?).

Most importantly, welcome here!

i dont really have anything better to add to that... i cant take dirt roads so the only thing i can think of is maybe take Carroll Canyon to Mira Mar if you want to avoid Mira Mesa or Blackmountain rd. so, this http://g.co/maps/m2dxk or this http://g.co/maps/zcf7g ... Carroll is very quiet, lots of room & practically no cars... its about 2 & 1/2 miles of gentile uphill, and very pleasant to ride! Mira Mar going east is a mess though, so be prepared for a bumpy ride and to take the lane in a few narrow spots! KVR is a mess right now too, covered in rocks (i put in a street sweep request but who knows when it will be done), but other than that it is actually really nice.... you just need to be very careful when you cross the 163 ramp... other than that, smooth sailing! i could come up with a route that will take you along the west side of the base and down, so as to avoid the bad Mira Mar part & KVR but i dont know the roads well enough to speak about them in detail.

hopefully that is of some use to you... if you need more detail or anything, feel free to ask!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012

Although neither that efficient nor recommended with a pure road bike, the Eastgate Mall-Roselle dirt road is a lot of fun: I ride it with my touring bike all the time - but not if I'm in a hurry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012

Anyone know of a theme park in the 'States that would provide cycling directions? Thorpe Park (Surrey, England) lists it as the third choice of transit . . . behind train and bus.

By Bike

There are loads of great cycle routes to get to THORPE PARK from the local surrounding area, including Staines, Weybridge & Chertsey.
    Click here to view an interactive map showing how to get to THORPE PARK via cycle routes in and around the local area.

http://www.thorpepark.com/plan-your-visit/how-to-get-here.aspx

I've biked to Disneyland a few times in the past year simply because I found info about bike parking. I don't think I would consider going multiple times per year if I had to drive, but bike + train makes it a better experience.
    • CommentAuthorJayKay
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012

I may wind up at the "bike the boulevard" event this weekend. We may choose to ride to SDSU transit center and trolley back to old town.

Does anyone have good suggestions of routes from North park to SDSU transit center?

Thanks for the help.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

JayKay:Does anyone have good suggestions of routes from North park to SDSU transit center?
    If your emphasis is on a pleasant bicycle route (as opposed to the quickest) you can do a lot worse than this.
    • CommentAuthorJayKay

our emphasis will certainly be friendly social ride, not the fastest. Interesting route. Thank you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2012 edited

The route works well in both directions with one exception: Westbound, where Aldine veers off from Monroe, vehicles are not allowed to make a left to stay on Monroe, and you will need to travel for about 100 feet on what is technically a one-way street. However, Monroe is very quiet here - just be careful making that left turn from Monroe onto, well, Monroe. Myself, I would make that illegal turn instead of going up to El Cajon Blvd., the main workaround in this area.

Eastbound - no issues.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2012

In a couple of weeks I will try again to get to Leucadia and El Camino Real, from UCSD. For those who ride around there often, what would be the best way to get there?
    My current obvious choice for a 'direct' route is 101 up to Leucadia and then head east but I don't know if Manchester ave (south of the San Elijo Lagoon) is better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2012

Either way works, but be careful once you reach El Camino Real. Although not openly hostile like some on 101 in Leucadia, drivers in that area are oblivious to cyclists and pedestrians, much like a Southern extension of Orangutan County.