Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthordstone
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011

I did a simplistic search and found nothing on the forums concerning the best wheelsets out there, so I decided to start one, hoping that it will be useful to others besides myself.

I am looking to put on a trustworthy but cheap (and no oh-so-heavy) set of wheels on a fixie I'd like to ride around on small trips. I was hoping for the best of luck to get some track wheels from this wheel clearance warehouse but they seem to have stopped dealing a rather long time ago. I have also seen but been very wary of the Aeromax wheels as they seem heavy and machine built to the point of asking for a truing very early on.

So, if you don't mind me asking, what wheelsets have folks found that successfully balance quality, weight, and price? How much quality can you fore-go if you only plan on riding a bike around 2-3 times a week, at short distances?

I don't mean to limit the discussion to track sets, any style is welcome!
    I ride Velocity Deep V's they have taken a beating on the Seattle streets including one pretty bad bridge incident but if cost is a factor the Weinmann DP18's work just as well. I own a set of both and the ride quality and durability is pretty similar. They weigh a bit but nothing too bad that you don't get used to. I had a lot of friends that rode mavic OP's also. They seem to hold up pretty well too but I have never used them personally.
    • CommentAuthoreaton

I've had a Weinman DP 18 rear on my Surly for 9 months and am very happy with it. It has a good hub for an inexpensive wheel.

My other bikes both have Velocity rims on Ultegra or Dura Ace hubs. One has 36h Dyad rims and the other has 32h Fusion rims. Both are excellent. The Fusions have over 25,000 miles and are still true. I highly recommend Velocity rims.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Quality of the build counts for much.
    • CommentAuthoreaton

bikingbill:Quality of the build counts for much.

Absolutely correct. Both my Velocity wheelsets were built by Chuck Hoefer, who's a top wheelbuilder.

I'm surprised at the Weinman. It was only $84 and it works great.
    • CommentAuthordstone

Where is the best place to look for the Weinman DP 18s? Thanks for all the info!
    • CommentAuthordstone

eaton:The Fusions have over 25,000 miles and are still true.

My god. (My goodness, which suits me more, was not as dramatic. That is incredible mileage.)
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011

Mavic for road and track. Sun or Mavic for MTB. Handbuilt over machine. Phil Wood hubs, also vintage Campagnolo or Dura-Ace.
    dstone:Where is the best place to look for the Weinman DP 18s? Thanks for all the info!

Used market has a few floating around from time to time but you can get them cheap off velomine or even ebay. I'm trying to unload a white rear right now but that won't be much help to you since you need a set.

You can likely nab a set for $130-$140 off ebay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2013

The original wheelset on my 1989 Cannondale tourer was starting to get a little long in the tooth so I had a new set built: 27" (630x18) Sun CR18 / 36h / 3x / DT Swiss straight / brass nipples / Shimano XT / SON-Delux.

A big shout-out to Andy and Taylor at Mission Hills Bike Shop for putting it all together!